Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Fern Climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

aarong

Aug 26, 2002, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Fern Climbing  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to know where Fern is located so I can check it out. I've found it on my Ark. Gazetter map but would like more specific directions before I go driving off into the backwoods.
Coming from Tulsa.

leeper_z

Aug 28, 2002, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Fern Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After you pass Fern(going north on 215), you gotta turn onto the first dirt(gravel) road that goes off to the south(it will be on the right). It will have a stop sign on a wooden post. Then you need to follow this road downhill past a couple of switchbacks. There is a dirt road at the bottom of the switchbacks on the right( sometimes this road will have big mud puddles at the entrance). Turn onto this road and continue down the hill until the road splits. Take the road to the left until you see dirty cars and/or parking area. If you go past a wide area in the road where hunters camp you've gone to far. Turn around and take the first road to the left. If you cross a rocky creek you've gone to far. Good luck finding it!

NOTE: The road is big enough for cars to get through fine, don't make the mistake i made and take your car down one of the atv trails.

P.S: I'll be down there labor day. I always park at the top of the road. So if your coming down labor day just look for a blue blazer.

[ This Message was edited by: leeper_z on 2002-08-27 20:27 ]

paintinhaler

Aug 28, 2002, 3:38 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, Labor day Im kinda thinkin about checking this place out. Is there a guide or should I get one? Thanks, -wEs-

xcit

Aug 28, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fern is mostsly sport routes, so bring your quick draws.

leeper_z

Aug 28, 2002, 3:46 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't need a guide! Just park and climb till your dizzy. Watch for snakes.

spank_spank

Aug 28, 2002, 12:35 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Fern is a cool place. Whoever bolted it did a great job. There is sport and bouldering out there. A moderate place with most of the routes 5.8-5.11 with a couple of 12's.

Have fun

aeile

Aug 30, 2002, 2:56 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Leeperz! I have been looking for this place, am familiar with Fern but could not find it. Last weekend I went looking for it and went down Fern Springs rd (not the right one!). It had a really nice big rock there but I suspect it was on private property, and even if not there was not a place to park that would not have p*&&#d off the locals. Thank goodness you gave clear instructions, those folks down there are good people & don't deserve me rousing their lil doggies & trampin up n down their roads looking!

Maybe see some of you all down there this weekend, I'll be the bouldering lil noobie!

aarong

Aug 31, 2002, 3:07 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much for the directions...I will be out that way this weekend (Labor Day), I may have to check it out. The plan is to head for Cave Creek for a day, then Horseshoe, then who knows....could be Fern, could be Sam's.
Thanks again!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook