Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Linville Gorge Beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

summiteer

May 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Linville Gorge Beta  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Linville_River_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any good beta on Linville Gorge, The Mummy and The Daddy routes specifically. Just checking to see how the weather is in the winter, is it easier to rappel to the base rather than finding the gullys, and if there are any rappel rings for all the pitches or is it just natural object rappels to the base. Any good beta would be appreciated.

boulderdoofus6

May 21, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lineville Gorge Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the mummy and the daddy are awesome for what they're rated. nice pitches, really secure. the approach can be heinous especially in mid summer. watch out for hornets in the wild blackberry patches. look out for quick summer storms as lightning is attracted to the rock like a magnet. a buddy of mine got a strong ground current a few summers ago. hope this helps.

cutiger

May 21, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Re: Linville Gorge Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's see, where do I start? If you've never been to the gorge, you'll love it. It's a real "wilderness" type feel.

Here's the breakdown: Depending on when you go will determine where you park. If it's in the winter you'll have to park below the gate and hike about a mile up the paved road to the parking lot due to the possibility of the road freezing. It's rather steep for a road. If it's during the summer, you'll be able to drive straight to the top parking lot. You can camp right up the trail in the clearing from the parking lot.

I know that North Carolina wall has seasonal closures. I don't know if it includes the Mummy or the Daddy or when the dates for the closures are exactly, but you can check www.carolinaclimbers.org for details on that.

Your next step will be finding the descent trail that will take you down the gully to the bottom. This is the kind of place where you hike down and climb out with your shoes attached. I suggest racking up at your tent or car and hiking in.

I'm 90% sure that neither route has bolted belays, so you wouldn't want to rap in. I've never climbed the Mummy, but have climbed the Daddy. From what I can remember of the route is that it's a little steep for the grade, but takes gear very well.

That's all I can think of at this point that you might need to know. The most difficult part is finding the trail to get down the gully. It's a very small spur trail leading off to the right side of the main Mountains to Sea trail. I think that the tree that the guidebook speaks of has been cut down possibly. I'm not completely sure about this, but maybe someone else can clarify it. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

-Rivers

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook