Post #101 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Re: The End of Faith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You are the grand cosmetologist

Just for future reference...

Cosmetology is the treatment of skin, hair and nails and includes, but is not limited to, manicures, pedicures, application of artificial nails, special occasion hairstyling, shampooing hair, cosmetic application, body hair removal, chemical hair relaxers or straighteners, permanent waves, coloring and highlighting of hair, and hair extensions or wig treatments. A person who is licensed in cosmetology is called a cosmetologist.

Cosmology is a field of study that brings together the natural sciences, especially astronomy and physics, in an effort to understand the physical universe as a unified whole.

As you can see...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=4339
I'm not very good at cosmetology... I'm a mess brutha. :lol:
Although I can color my hair well. :wink:

c4c

Oct 28, 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #102 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="fracture"]
In reply to:
Actually, I was trying to ask the exact same question you asked vivalargo with "truth value of belief" replacing the phrase "spirtitual realites" so you could illustrate to us what a correct answer to your question would look like.

You must not have understood why I was asking, then. John is claiming that humans have some sort of magical, mystical spirtual experiences called "boundary experiences". If that is true, the ability to have those experiences must have evolved.
The abilty to have (true or false) beliefs had to have evolved, too. But in contrast to John's religious spew, there's nothing about that ability that requires some sort of magical step that natural selection is incapable of. Yes the brain is complex (so are a lot of organs, like eyes), and it is difficult to know for sure how it did in fact evolve, but there is nothing in principle preventing it from being a product of evolution.[/quote]
Or being created by a Creator God. More likely IMO.

vivalargo

Oct 28, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #103 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fracture-

I would consider a cop out the sly advice of folks who say we can't and shouldn't and never will talk about "before" the big bang because we cannot measure anything "there."

And "spew" is a strange word to use in reference to experiences you haven't had, nor yet do you show the slightest curiosity to anything you don't already "know." What's with that? Do you go to the crags and lap the same route over and over again? Who ever told you we can wrangle everything down with our evaluating mind? You seem to be stuck in what psychology calls "the paralysis of analysis." It's pure folly to basically say, "Any experiences I haven't had, and that cannot be presented according to my criteria (measurement) are, perforce, spew--because I say so.

What you're yammering on about "evolving" is not Darwinism even in the fundamentalist vein, rather what's called Darwin Absolutism, where (as mentioned before) Darwin and his doctrine is basically asked to replace
Old Testiment God and doctrine, in terms of explaining how "everything" got here, and what everything is. The reason I suggested you read that Gopnick piece in the New Yorker is for you to bring yourself up to speed on these issues. The field is gigantic. I'm lucky enough to have a riding partner who's just finishing his PhD in evolutionary psychology so I can keep somewhat abreast on this stuff by picking his brain and reading his suggested articles. It's an on-going studfy to be sure.

Your mistake is a common one--to expect Darwinism to explain everything, and then jump to the conclusion that anything that reportedly falls outside of a absolutist evolutionary model is "spew." You don't actually know this is the case, of course, you're just commenting from your exprerience, which is your right. FYI, the 2,500 year old Zen tradition
is pretty much about discovering the "unborn" and "uncreated." Before writing it off out of hand, what might they be talking about?

I didn't refer to Zeno's paradox by name because I try to avoid jargon in these posts--not always successful either. Zeno's, in this case, is actually the Tortoise and Achilles. You'd think that adding up an infinite number of positive distances should give an infinite distance for the sum. But it doesn't – in this case it gives a finite sum--all these distances add up to 1.
You'll never sum this problem by saying, "Suppose I could cover all these infinite number of small distances, how far should I have walked?" You can't "cover" an "infinite number of small distances" because by definition, there's always more. My math is not spectacular but I wonder how Pure Numbers guys handle infinity.

Anyhow, Tex, the question becomes: Do you have an inner prohibition against exploring something you don't presently know? No faith, belief, witch doctors, blue wind, gurus, psychotropic drugs or "spiritual spew" involved. You'll never make "sense" out of the stuff I'm talking about before you have some feel for the terrain, and you'll never get that sense of the terrain from thinking, since thinking is based on your past experiences. You simply need new data (experiential) to get it all straight.

Sack it up Tex. Go for it. You;re actually a prime candidate.

JL

fracture

Oct 29, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #104 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you're yammering on about "evolving" is not Darwinism in the fundamentalist vein, rather what's called Darwin Absolutism, where (as mentioned before) Darwin and his doctrine is basically asked to replace old testiment God and doctrine, in terms of explaining how "everything" got here. The reason I suggested you read that Gopnick piece in the New Yorker is for you to bring yourself up to speed on these issues.

It's apparently not online, or I'd read it and tell you what I think.

In reply to:
Your mistake is that you expect Darwinism to explain everything, and then jump to the conclusion that anything that falls outside of a absolutist evolutionary model is "spew."

I don't expect Darwinism to explain everything about life, but I require any defensible explanation of the behavior of living organisms to be compatible in principle with Darwinism. That is, no magical hand-waving is allowed in a candidate explanation.

(As far as people needing to get "up to speed": Dennett's metaphor for illustrating this is the difference between "skyhooks" and "cranes". Both can accomplish lifting, but one does it magically. The point is: no skyhooks are allowed in defensible philosophy or science.)

In reply to:
So I guess the question becomes: Do you have an inner prohibition against exploring something you don't presently know?

No; I'm quite interested, depending on the method. But I have less than no interest in your neo-religious viewpoint, which starts out with the hilarious position that defensible and coherent arguments are not important.

As I keep telling you, that's a nonstarter, because it lowers the nets---anything goes. Under the rules of that game, your viewpoint is just as good as any viewpoint, and vice versa. There is nothing that can recommend your view over one involving a Flying Spaghetti Monster, or for that matter, the God of the Old Testament.

In reply to:
No faith, belief, ...

You can claim this as many times as you want, John, but it doesn't make it true. The claims you have made in this thread are beliefs, whether you want to admit it or not.

In reply to:
You'll never make "sense" out of the stuff I'm talking about before you have some feel for the terrain, and you'll never get that sense of the terrain from thinking, since thinking is based on you past experiences.

More of this dishonest style of argument---I only possibly disagree with you because I haven't had these magical experiences. The possibility that it is actually because your arguments suck is inadmissible (which conveniently relieves you of the responsibility to attempt to defend them in a coherent fashion).

yanqui

Oct 30, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #105 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Actually, I was trying to ask the exact same question you asked vivalargo with "truth value of belief" replacing the phrase "spirtitual realites" so you could illustrate to us what a correct answer to your question would look like.

You must not have understood why I was asking, then. John is claiming that humans have some sort of magical, mystical spirtual experiences called "boundary experiences". If that is true, the ability to have those experiences must have evolved.

The abilty to have (true or false) beliefs had to have evolved, too. But in contrast to John's religious spew, there's nothing about that ability that requires some sort of magical step that natural selection is incapable of. Yes the brain is complex (so are a lot of organs, like eyes), and it is difficult to know for sure how it did in fact evolve, but there is nothing in principle preventing it from being a product of evolution.

I can't speak for vivalargo, but I can't see any problem with asserting that "the abillity to feel the presence of God" or "the ability to have religious experience" or "the ability to experience the spirtual nature reality" must have evolved. I really don't see how that's so different from what you're saying about about the abilty of human beings (as distinct from all other known objects in the universe) to posses the truth is something that evolved in nature. Obviously, if vivlargo believes in evolution, to be consistent, he must hold that his abilities evolved.

However, what I was thinking of, in terms of "explanation" was something rather different. More "reductionistic", I suppose. The eye, no doubt is a physical organism, so I have no problem fitting this into a physical characterisation. Different types of eyes exist in a variety of species, so we can easily imagine that different factors of evolution produced different results.

What about true and false beliefs, though? First off: what is the physical/material characterization of true and false beliefs? Perhaps certain types of specific behaviors of one kind of species that happened to evolve from primates? Or perhaps an electrical impulse in the brain? Why does it occur only in one kind of species, or actually: in only one kind of known object in the universe? Or perhaps you think other species of animals have true and false beliefs? Does the truth property of the belief exist simultaneosly in time and space with the belief itself? What is its specific material/physical nature? Can we observe it? For example, if you are saying your beliefs are true and religious people's beliefs are false, from the material/natural viewpoint, perhaps all you really mean is that you have different behaviors than religious people, or maybe all you mean is that the electrical impulses in your brain are different than theirs? I suppose vivalargo could agree with that. Specifically, how are true/false beliefs related to natural selection? For example, if religion is such a crock, why are religious beliefs so prevelant? How can you explain that in terms of Darwin's law of natural selection? Is there a scientific law predicting true beliefs will replace false ones? I could go on and on with this, but I hope you're getting getting some idea what I meant.

If you can answer all these questions great. If not, I really don't see how your faith in the existence of true and false beliefs is so less magical than vivalargo's faith that he experiences God in the world around him.

Partner tradman

Oct 30, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #106 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't expect Darwinism to explain everything about life, but I require any defensible explanation of the behavior of living organisms to be compatible in principle with Darwinism. That is, no magical hand-waving is allowed in a candidate explanation.

Hmmm.

So if the evidence doesn't fit the theory, you don't question whether the theory is right, you just dismiss the evidence?

Wow. What kind of "science" is this exactly?

pinktricam

Oct 30, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #107 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Fractured science.

fracture

Oct 30, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #108 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't speak for vivalargo, but I can't see any problem with asserting that "the abillity to feel the presence of God" or "the ability to have religious experience" or "the ability to experience the spirtual nature reality" must have evolved.

"The ability to feel the presense of God" presupposes that a God exists, which is incompatible with any coherent post-1859 philosophy. If you changed that to say, "the ability to feel like you feel the presense of God", we'd be in complete agreement---it's plain fact that many people feel like they feel like that, and there are a variety of possible ways those behaviors can fit into an evolutionary framework.

In reply to:
I really don't see how that's so different from what you're saying about about the abilty of human beings (as distinct from all other known objects in the universe) to posses the truth is something that evolved in nature.

What does "possess the truth" mean? It's sounds like you're saying something totally magical (and unlike anything I believe).

Truth is a property of an abstract representation of reality. An idea realized on the hardware of my brain, or on the hardware of a sheet of notebook paper, may or may not be true (and it exists either way), depending on whether it represents something about reality accurately---but there was nothing that could be said to have the property of being "true" before there were these sorts of representational things.

In reply to:
Obviously, if vivlargo believes in evolution, to be consistent, he must hold that his abilities evolved.

Right. So that's why I asked him what I asked him. The problem is that he can't say how it could concevably evolve, because he's not treating his "boundary experience" nonsense as a naturalistic human behavior in need of explanation: he's treating it as a real glimpse we can have into some other, magical, spiritual level of experience.

In reply to:
[..]
For example, if you are saying your beliefs are true and religious people's beliefs are false, from the material/natural viewpoint, perhaps all you really mean is that you have different behaviors than religious people, or maybe all you mean is that the electrical impulses in your brain are different than theirs?

Correct.

In reply to:
I suppose vivalargo could agree with that.

I seriously doubt it. In some earlier threads about Mind, largo rejected the concept of a non-dualistic, brain-based theory of Mind as being "reductionist". (As if that were a bad thing.)

In reply to:
For example, if religion is such a crock, why are religious beliefs so prevelant? How can you explain that in terms of Darwin's law of natural selection?

Daniel Dennett actually just wrote a book about this (Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon). I haven't read it yet---but supposedly it tackles this exact question.

Anyway, regardless of what the answer really is, there's little bearing on the discussion here, because we would all (presumably) readily admit that an answer is possible in principle.

In reply to:
Is there a scientific law predicting true beliefs will replace false ones? I could go on and on with this, but I hope you're getting getting some idea what I meant.

No, I still don't really get what you meant. A good example is that last question in the above quote: wtf does that have to do with anything? (And the answer, of course, is a resounding "no".)

In reply to:
If you can answer all these questions great. If not, I really don't see how your faith in the existence of true and false beliefs is so less magical than vivalargo's faith that he experiences God in the world around him.

It's less magical because it's completely naturalistic. If you believe in beliefs, and you also believe in reality, you basically have to admit the coherence of a concept of truth as a property of those beliefs. Relativism is trivially self-refuting, and for that matter, no one in this conversation has even been arguing for it---so I really can't figure out what you're on about.

fracture

Oct 30, 2006, 5:04 PM
Post #109 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hmmm.

So if the evidence doesn't fit the theory, you don't question whether the theory is right, you just dismiss the evidence?

Hint: we are not debating whether Darwinism is true. Largo has already said he believes Darwinism is true (in both this and previous threads).

Partner tradman

Oct 30, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #110 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hint: we are not debating whether Darwinism is true. Largo has already said he believes Darwinism is true (in both this and previous threads).

So what?

Requiring all evidence to support your hypothesis or be rejected isn't science. All you've done is decide what answers you will and won't accept before the question is even asked.

That's not science; it's not even thinking. It's just prejudice.

vivalargo

Oct 30, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #111 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fracture,

You contine to believe (not actually know) that I'm trying to bambozzle you with "magic" and false arguments. So understand: Here's the drill.

The "method" of any viable spiritual tradition is empirical. Standard science uses varfious instruments to measure whatever is the object of study. In spiritual stuff, your consciousness itself is the instrument. The problem is before you do the "work," consciousness is mostly conditioned and beholden to evolved, genetic factorts liike dependency needs, personality glitches and the despotic intrusions of the rational mind. The purpose of the "work" is to sharpen the instrument to become more and more objective. You're basically calibrating you consciousness. It happens naturally once you learn to quiet your thoughts--but that takes time and usually, a lot of instruction.

For someone fused to a belief in Darwin Absolutism, as you are, there's really no need to go beyond this point, since your personality will twist everything into what you believe to be "true." So just consider this all in terms of intentionally triggering the evolution process of your mind by practicing certain exercises. Once the white noise has dies off somewhat, the adventure begins--that's when you move into grappling with what you didn't know you didn't know. So think of this all not in terms of "claims" you can't get your head around, or square with evolution, or that seem "dishonest," or any of that. Simply consider it all in terms of quieting your mind, "bringing all the wild horses to rest."

JL

boo

Oct 30, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #112 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and the secular world asks me why i like to go climbing...

yanqui

Oct 30, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #113 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What does "possess the truth" mean? It's sounds like you're saying something totally magical (and unlike anything I believe).

By "posses the truth" I simply meant what you refer to when you are saying that some people have true beliefs. I really was curious how you might relate this to Darwinian evolution or something "non magical".

In reply to:
"The ability to feel the presense of God" presupposes that a God exists, which is incompatible with any coherent post-1859 philosophy. If you changed that to say, "the ability to feel like you feel the presense of God", we'd be in complete agreement---it's plain fact that many people feel like they feel like that, and there are a variety of possible ways those behaviors can fit into an evolutionary framework.

I didn't mean to predicate the existence of anything in my statement, outside of what seems to be a sincerely religious person's response to the universe. What I'm really interested in is the way you assign a value property to that response. In particular, I was trying to understand the physical/material nature of this value you assign (if there is one) in the context of Darwinian evolution. I was hoping you could help me with that. But you seem to have avoided the topic.

In reply to:
Truth is a property of an abstract representation of reality. An idea realized on the hardware of my brain, or on the hardware of a sheet of notebook paper, may or may not be true (and it exists either way), depending on whether it represents something about reality accurately---but there was nothing that could be said to have the property of being "true" before there were these sorts of representational things.

What is "an abstract representation" or an "idea"? What do you mean by this in terms of physical reality? How can ideas be seperate from their realization? What is the physical manefistation of an idea when it's not realized? I really have a hard time understanding what you're trying to say here or how I could use it as a criteria to judge the truth value of beliefs. At any any rate NONE of the claims you make has anything to do with relating this to Darwinian evolution.

In reply to:
Obviously, if vivlargo believes in evolution, to be consistent, he must hold that his abilities evolved.

In reply to:
Right. So that's why I asked him what I asked him. The problem is that he can't say how it could concevably evolve, because he's not treating his "boundary experience" nonsense as a naturalistic human behavior in need of explanation: he's treating it as a real glimpse we can have into some other, magical, spiritual level of experience.

Exactly the same can be said for your claims about true and false beliefs.

In reply to:
For example, if you are saying your beliefs are true and religious people's beliefs are false, from the material/natural viewpoint, perhaps all you really mean is that you have different behaviors than religious people, or maybe all you mean is that the electrical impulses in your brain are different than theirs?

In reply to:
Correct.

To me this could be the most hopeful thing you've said in the post. In fact, if I understand your agreement with me here, this means that the upshot of your previous posts to vivalargo is that "we behave differently in a way we are not clear about and your behavior makes my stomach turn". I would consider that a good starting point for dialouge.

In reply to:

In reply to:
I seriously doubt it. In some earlier threads about Mind, largo rejected the concept of a non-dualistic, brain-based theory of Mind as being "reductionist". (As if that were a bad thing.)

As far as I can tell, you seem to have rejected a brain-based theory of mind as whole-heartedly as vivalargo has. At least in practice, if not yet in spirit. I haven't seen anything close to a brain-based characterisization that helps me distinguish the true believers from the false ones.

In reply to:
For example, if religion is such a crock, why are religious beliefs so prevelant? How can you explain that in terms of Darwin's law of natural selection?

In reply to:
Daniel Dennett actually just wrote a book about this (Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon). I haven't read it yet---but supposedly it tackles this exact question.

Anyway, regardless of what the answer really is, there's little bearing on the discussion here, because we would all (presumably) readily admit that an answer is possible in principle.

This has everything to do with the question I asked (in three sperate posts), and which you seem to be avoiding with a remarkable persistence.

In reply to:
Is there a scientific law predicting true beliefs will replace false ones? I could go on and on with this, but I hope you're getting getting some idea what I meant.

In reply to:
No, I still don't really get what you meant. A good example is that last question in the above quote: wtf does that have to do with anything? (And the answer, of course, is a resounding "no".)

As I understand it, in so far as it's science, Darwinian evolution makes predictions about what characteristic traits develop in species. So I'm asking about the "true believers" as a characteristic of the activity of the human species in evolution. Again this has to do with my original question. I want to know what Darwinian evolution has to say about the "true believers". How does it explain who they are, how they came about, what kinds of behaviors they do and, in particular: does it make any predictions for the future? You were the one who suggested to vivavlargo that the human experience should be dealt with in this context. So I'm looking to see how you would do it.

But you respond here as if Darwinian evolution and "the brain based mind" have almost nothing to do with the "truth value" you want assign to religious beliefs, and you avoid referring to them in your answers (even going out of your way to avoid applying them, claiming they don't have anything to do with the discussion). Instead, you give me some gibberish that says beliefs are "abstract ideas" that are "represented" in the brain and they are true when they are about "real things". At least you did use the word "brain" there.

In reply to:

In reply to:
It's less magical because it's completely naturalistic. If you believe in beliefs, and you also believe in reality, you basically have to admit the coherence of a concept of truth as a property of those beliefs. Relativism is trivially self-refuting, and for that matter, no one in this conversation has even been arguing for it---so I really can't figure out what you're on about.

I was interested in how you would repond to the question you asked vivalargo. Now I see. What I don't see is how vivalargo's God is so different from your "reality". In fact, outside of a few words you use without precision, e.g. "naturalistic", your "reality" seems to be almost indistinguishable from vivalargo's God.

From a practical point of view, I think relativism sometimes makes the best starting point for dialouge. This forces us to analyze our own beliefs as deeply as we might criticze anothers. It also forces us to seriously consider what someone else is trying to say. But I agree with you about one point: deep down we all imagine that we are the true believers. The most extreme forms of relativism as ontological stances seem to be unworkable as practical systems of belief and inherently inconsistent.

boadman

Oct 30, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #114 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's rediculous, when was the last time you read about an atheist murdering, injuring, yelling epithets, or anything else at a religious person. Just because we think you're stupid doesn't mean that we're going to try to harm you or hurt your feelings. Everytime you post you act injured, and dish out some excessive, insulting hyperbole that sort of sounds like it makes sense but boils down to, "I know you are, but what am I?" You're a good example of why non-religious people thing christians (in particular) are self righteous, whiny, and simple minded. Oh, and the idea that just because 97% percent of the human population believes in something means it's right is rediculous. We only very recently realized the world wasn't flat. Religion is a similar example of mass insanity.

In reply to:
In reply to:
And... "wackos"?

Well, well.

Looks like somebody likes to hand it out but can't take it in return.

:lol:

In reply to:
So, in your mind, questioning the rationality of somebody's beliefs is on a par with violent racism and anti-Semitism?

No, but it's no more surprising to see anti-religious sentiment from an atheist these days than it is to see anti-semitism from a neo-nazi or racism from a klansman.

I think it's sad that guys like Dawkins and Harris have made "atheist" synonymous with "anti-religion". Atheism isn't necessarily about hatred, bigotry and intolerance, so it's unfortunate to see what I presume is a small minority even of that small minority drag its values down to that.

Partner mr8615

Oct 30, 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #115 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We only very recently realized the world wasn't flat. Religion is a similar example of mass insanity.

Wow, what an idiot! Tell me how this is not the anti-religious sentiment you're arguing against?

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #116 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So think of this all not in terms of "claims" you can't get your head around, or square with evolution, or that seem "dishonest," or any of that. Simply consider it all in terms of quieting your mind, "bringing all the wild horses to rest."

Again: you're making claims here whether you want to admit that that's what they are or not. You are also refusing to provide any support for them aside from simply making bald assertions over and over.

At this point I don't know what else to tell you.

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #117 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[ it'd be helpful if you could watch your quote tags so I can tell who said what. ]

In reply to:
By "posses the truth" I simply meant what you refer to when you are saying that some people have true beliefs.

I didn't say that.

(Ignoring for the moment the fact that both John and I probably agree that it is true.)

In reply to:
I really was curious how you might relate this to Darwinian evolution or something "non magical".

There is no apparent contradiction between the idea of truth and the idea of Darwinian evolution. So I really have no idea what you are trying to ask me about---perhaps you can illustrate where you think the contradiction is, assuming you think there is one...

In reply to:
I didn't mean to predicate the existence of anything in my statement, outside of what seems to be a sincerely religious person's response to the universe. What I'm really interested in is the way you assign a value property to that response. In particular, I was trying to understand the physical/material nature of this value you assign (if there is one) in the context of Darwinian evolution. I was hoping you could help me with that. But you seem to have avoided the topic.

If you're asking how brains form ideas, I wish I could help you with it beyond some very vague hand-waving---I'm not a neuroscientist. (And they only have vague ideas on the topic, also.)

I assure you I don't think there's anything magical about it. And in principle I think it should be possible for digital computers to programmed to do the same thing, as well.

In reply to:
What is "an abstract representation" or an "idea"?

I was thinking of any sort of substrate-neutral data structure, interpreted in a relevant way.

In reply to:
What do you mean by this in terms of physical reality?

Well, for one example, bits stored on a hard disk.

In reply to:
How can ideas be seperate from their realization?

That's what makes them abstract. (Exactly what that means gets to a whole bunch of complex and debatable issues relating to intentionality and the nature of information---none of which appear to have any relevance to the issue John and I are arguing.)

In reply to:
What is the physical manefistation of an idea when it's not realized?

I'd say this question has false and/or incoherent presuppositions.

In reply to:
I really have a hard time understanding what you're trying to say here or how I could use it as a criteria to judge the truth value of beliefs.

This is probably because I wasn't saying anything remotely like what you appear to think I was saying.

In reply to:
At any any rate NONE of the claims you make has anything to do with relating this to Darwinian evolution.

The problem is you still have failed to explain what the hell you are asking (hint: it does not appear at all analagous to what I asked John). Unless you are asking how the ability to have ideas, in principle, could have evolved? I don't think it is hard to see how the ability to predict your environment could be adaptive...

In reply to:
In reply to:

Exactly the same can be said for your claims about true and false beliefs.

What claims are you talking about? Prior to you chiming in, I believe the only claim I made about the nature of beliefs was to say that "knowledge" is simply a term that describes a belief which the speaker happens to also believe is true.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

As far as I can tell, you seem to have rejected a brain-based theory of mind as whole-heartedly as vivalargo has. At least in practice, if not yet in spirit.

I have no clue what you are talking about (again). Perhaps you'd like to explain what has given you this strange misconception of my position on this issue (which hasn't even been a topic in this thread until now, by the way).

In reply to:
I haven't seen anything close to a brain-based characterisization that helps me distinguish the true believers from the false ones.

I can't help you distinguish "true believers" from false ones. I don't even really know what that is supposed to mean. Presumably there is no person who only believes things which are true....

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

This has everything to do with the question I asked (in three sperate posts), and which you seem to be avoiding with a remarkable persistence.

Again, I don't know the answer to that. I'm not going to invent some Just So story about the adaptive function of religious beliefs just because you are apparently demanding that I do so. And again: it's completely irrelevant, because such an explanation is possible in principle. The problem I have with John's view (on this spiritual nonsense, and I brought up this same issue regarding his quasi-dualist claims on the nature of Mind, if you read back in some earlier threads) is that it is not apparent how the phenomena he believes in could have evolved. (And again, this is just a fancy way of saying that his claims are not naturalistic.)

In reply to:
As I understand it, in so far as it's science, Darwinian evolution makes predictions about what characteristic traits develop in species. So I'm asking about the "true believers" as a characteristic of the activity of the human species in evolution. Again this has to do with my original question. I want to know what Darwinian evolution has to say about the "true believers". How does it explain who they are, how they came about, what kinds of behaviors they do and, in particular: does it make any predictions for the future?

If you explain what "true believers" means, and why you think this has anything to do with my conversation with largo, I'll be happy to tell you why you're confused.

In reply to:
You were the one who suggested to vivavlargo that the human experience should be dealt with in this context. So I'm looking to see how you would do it.

Perhaps you can ask a coherent question, if you want to see an example of that. Or much better, just go buy yourself a copy of a book like The Selfish Gene or The Red Queen if you want to see some nice summaries of what people who are interested in evolutionary explanations of various human behaviors are coming up with.

In reply to:
I was interested in how you would repond to the question you asked vivalargo. Now I see. What I don't see is how vivalargo's God is so different from your "reality". In fact, outside of a few words you use without precision, e.g. "naturalistic", your "reality" seems to be almost indistinguishable from vivalargo's God.

Do you really want me to define "naturalistic"? (I don't mean it in any intentionally jargonistic sense.)

In reply to:
But I agree with you about one point: deep down we all imagine that we are the true believers.

Ironic, but very illustrative of your last few posts: the one point you say you "agree with" me about is a point I have not made in this thread.

:roll:

blondgecko

Oct 31, 2006, 1:35 AM
Post #118 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As usual, great post, fracture!

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Again, I don't know the answer to that. I'm not going to invent some Just So story about the adaptive function of religious beliefs just because you are apparently demanding that I do so. And again: it's completely irrelevant, because such an explanation is possible in principle. The problem I have with John's view (on this spiritual nonsense, and I brought up this same issue regarding his quasi-dualist claims on the nature of Mind, if you read back in some earlier threads) is that it is not apparent how the phenomena he believes in could have evolved. (And again, this is just a fancy way of saying that his claims are not naturalistic.)

Dawkins makes a pretty good stab at this in The God Delusion I think. His hypothesis is that religion itself wasn't adaptively useful per se, but was an unavoidable by-product of other adaptations that were.

A particular example is that we, as children (and in many cases as adults) seem heavily predisposed to accept, without question, what people with perceived authority tell us - especially when it's told in a solemn, stern tone of voice.

It's easy to see where this is useful: "Don't swim in that river or the crocodiles will get you" ... "Don't eat those red berries" ... etc.

Indeed, studies comparing the learning behaviour of chimpanzee and human toddlers show that we learn from our elders in completely different ways. A young chimpanzee will watch its parent performing a task (say, using a rock to crack a nut), and will try to follow using various permutations (hitting the nut with another nut, hitting the nut against the rock, ...) until it gets it right. The human child will generally follow its parents' example exactly.

This is often useful - some would argue that it's the only possible way to stuff our brains with all the information we need to survive as adults - but it can also lead to absurdities. The anecdote that always sticks in my mind is of a young girl who, watching her mother preparing a roast, wondered why she always cut an inch off the end. When asked, the mother said, "because that's how my mother did it". So, off to her grandmother the girl went, only to find the same answer. Luckily, her great-grandmother was still around to put an end to the mystery. When asked, she laughed and said "well, that's the only way I could get it to fit into the pan!"

I think that's the root of the problem. A child has no way to tell the difference between the statements "don't jump in the ashes or you'll get burned" and "believe in this story or you'll burn forever". They're just programmed to trust that they're true.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 31, 2006, 4:26 AM
Post #119 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Actually, I think that's pretty easy...

You are actually asking one to compare apples and oranges IMO....

Think about it for a second... Why were all religions created by man ??? Seriously think about all the religions and superstitions thatpredated the current "revisions" of the worlds monotheistic religions, and why they were created. What questions did they answer ??? Same questions we have now, but that science can better answer. If you don't believe in science, where do you draw the line ??? (Is the world still flat? Are there vampires? Is the Earth the center of the univers? Was the entire world and all its inhabitants drowned by a flood, save Noah? Earth, inhabitants, and univers create approximately 7200 years ago? etc...)

Point is, even if you don't believe what can still be ignored or denied, you have to believe that science has answered many of the questions first answered with religion. Religion has ALWAYS undergone revision of its beliefs to still remain plausable with undeniable facts as they arise... Do you really believe that your faith, whatever it is, is the FINAL REVISION of that faith, and that it is now correct ??? If so, why ???

As I said before... Religious beliefs are prevelant for many reasons:
-Easier to understand than current levels of science (Can you refute this?)
-Gives people hope (Poor, Wronged, Meek, Downtrodden will triumph.)
-Afterlife (We humans fear death, and want to be imortal.)
-Arogant (We want to think we are above everything else on the planet, and universe for that matter.)
-Empowerment (Gives people an "unasailable" excuse to kill, steal from, judge, bully, punish, 'educate' other groups of people... We compete for resources, and what better excuse to get rid of the competition?)

Those are just the ones off the top of my head... They are valid excuses today, just as they have been for melenia, and thus they are valid and potent reasons for its existance today.

Think about it for a second, and you will see that generally the mose devout believers of any faith are the one that have the hardest lives... Religion/faith gives them hope, and the courage to 'endure' their lives... The poor, the uneducated, the peasants, the victims of social injustice... Just these groups make up the bulk of the worlds "faithful", as it gives them hope, and allows them to endure... And in many cases, it also keeps them docile. Why ???

Conversely... Generally speaking, those with power, higher education, afluence tend to be less devout in their beliefs. Why ???

(For those who are smart and affluent yet devout, please look up the definition of generally before flying into a rant and discounting what I'm saying.)

Now as for explaining this in terms of Dawinism or Natural Selection...

The obvious would be that "the poor, the uneducated, the peasants, the victims of social injustice" are easily the vast majority of the world's population, and tend to be more prolific at producing offspring... Thus there are vastly more probable 'believers' being born than not. This can be said to fit the process of natural selection... More offspring born that are faithful, equals a population of more faithful. Think about it... Can anyone disagree with this statement ???

Lets face it: Affluencey begets afluencey, and poverty begets poverty, generally speaking.

Although I personally view natural selection as a process regarding "physical traits" not emotional or metaphysical ones, so I will say that its really apples and oranges trying to make religion fit that process.

thegreytradster

Oct 31, 2006, 4:51 AM
Post #120 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That's rediculous, when was the last time you read about an atheist murdering, injuring, yelling epithets, or anything else at a religious person.

I can think of a few that were pretty good at all three

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/tm/images/mao.jpg

http://img.timeinc.net/...ry/images/stalin.jpg

You've thrown an absurd statement into the middle of an interesting conversation.

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #121 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Think about it for a second... Why were all religions created by man ??? Seriously think about all the religions and superstitions thatpredated the current "revisions" of the worlds monotheistic religions, and why they were created. What questions did they answer ???

But the problem with this is that not all religions, or all aspects of any religion, are really about answering questions. What question is answered by telling people not to eat shellfish? What question is answered by declaring homosexuality evil?

Not to mention that many religions have strong traditions of questions. John's religion is probably an extreme example, but slogans like "God works in mysterious ways" aren't about answering questions---they're about preserving questions, and preventing you from thinking about possible answers.

In reply to:
Now as for explaining this in terms of Dawinism or Natural Selection...

The obvious would be that "the poor, the uneducated, the peasants, the victims of social injustice" are easily the vast majority of the world's population, and tend to be more prolific at producing offspring...

This has not always been true, historically. Today it may be the case (I don't know)---but many human cultures in the past have been structured in such a way that the only males who get to reproduce are those at the top of the social ladder. (I think it's only in relatively modern history that the most common reproductive social structure for humans has been (highly-adulterous) monogamy.)

But either way, you're looking in the wrong place. Religiosity probably evolved alongside many of the other traits that emerged when we were a group of primates on the African savanna (quite plausibly as an accidental bi-product of other useful adaptations, as blondgecko's post suggests)---along other unique traits like our tool-making abilities, our huge brains, our complex language instinct, our innate "intuitive psychology" abilities, and so on.

I wonder if homo erectus believed in God(s).

In reply to:
Although I personally view natural selection as a process regarding "physical traits" not emotional or metaphysical ones, so I will say that its really apples and oranges trying to make religion fit that process.

Depending what you mean by that, you're either horribly wrong, or saying something trivial. Specific emotional characteristics (short temper, etc) are often hereditary, and the ability to feel emotions at all had to have evolved or it would be impossible for you to do it (it is a physical trait), but it is almost certain that your DNA does not dictate everything about how you respond to those things in some absolute sense. (Another way of putting it: you've also got a highly-evolved ability to make choices.)

Partner tradman

Oct 31, 2006, 4:43 PM
Post #122 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not to mention that many religions have strong traditions of questions. John's religion is probably an extreme example, but slogans like "God works in mysterious ways" aren't about answering questions---they're about preserving questions, and preventing you from thinking about possible answers.

That's very ironic in view of the fact that there really is someone here telling us all what we should think, how everything happened and that we shouldn't look for our own answers, or think or say certain things, because they're "wrong".

Of course, it's not a priest or a guru, is it?

It's you.

fracture

Oct 31, 2006, 4:46 PM
Post #123 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tradman, you're out of your element.

Partner tradman

Oct 31, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #124 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tradman, you're out of your element.

Really? You're the one getting all butt-hurt and going for the personal attacks.

yanqui

Oct 31, 2006, 7:16 PM
Post #125 of 179 (3934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There is no apparent contradiction between the idea of truth and the idea of Darwinian evolution. So I really have no idea what you are trying to ask me about---perhaps you can illustrate where you think the contradiction is, assuming you think there is one...

I must say that you sometimes sound more like a Platonist than Plato. "The idea of truth". "The idea of Darwinian evolution". As if these things existed apart in some realm, independent of the way the concepts might be used by you, me or anyone else. I'm not saying you mean to imply Platonism (or maybe you do?) I'm just saying it sounds like it sometimes.

What I was asking about was how your ideas of truth (whatever they might be) could be framed in a context of Darwinian evolution. I sorta forgot you're the computer science type-guy and not the evolutionary biology type-guy. If you don't want to talk about that, fine. I see some other people down below have picked up on it. I forgot your ideas tend to run along the lines of the mechanics of the brain in terms of the functioning of a digital computer and not along the lines of adaptive behavior in the framework of evolution.

By the way: do CI guys tend towards a Platonic style ontology, or am I just reading it wrong?

In reply to:
If you're asking how brains form ideas, I wish I could help you with it beyond some very vague hand-waving---I'm not a neuroscientist. (And they only have vague ideas on the topic, also.)

Actually, questions about the mechanics of the brain don't interest me much. Until there are some interesting practical applications, what difference could it make to me what neuroscientists might or might not say? I didn't need to know anything about the mechanics of the brain in order to help my young daughter form the idea that moving cars in the street can injure or kill her. That's a belief whose truth value in relation to Darwinian evolution is clear. I doubt we'll have many debates about the truth value there. I suppose this is what I had in mind, when I asked about relating the idea of truth value to evolution.

In reply to:
I was thinking of any sort of substrate-neutral data structure, interpreted in a relevant way.

Well that certainly clears things up

In reply to:
Well, for one example, bits stored on a hard disk.

For the sake of argument, suppose bits on a hard drive give an example of ideas in the brain. How can bits on a hard drive be "true" or "false"? They may function in a workable program to perform a task, or they may fail. They can accurately store the information programmed or perhaps not. But I don't understand how bits on a hard drive could possibly be true or false. If you are saying this gives an example of "belief" in human beings, I don't understand how beliefs can be true or false. This is a real question.

In reply to:
This is probably because I wasn't saying anything remotely like what you appear to think I was saying.

Apparently so.

In reply to:
The problem is you still have failed to explain what the hell you are asking (hint: it does not appear at all analagous to what I asked John). Unless you are asking how the ability to have ideas, in principle, could have evolved? I don't think it is hard to see how the ability to predict your environment could be adaptive...

The ability to predict in a precise way can certainly be adaptive. As can other things. Is this part of your criteria for truth? A claim must correctly predict something?

In reply to:
What claims are you talking about? Prior to you chiming in, I believe the only claim I made about the nature of beliefs was to say that "knowledge" is simply a term that describes a belief which the speaker happens to also believe is true.

I was referring to the claims in the actual post. And I guess I was baiting a bit. But I honestly would like to see a more constructive dialouge in these threads.

In reply to:

For what it's worth, here's my opinion: if there was such a theory, I would like to see how it worked before I accepted or rejected it. For example, does the theory make precise predictions about human behavior? Does it lead to new observations about human behavior that allow for independent
confirmation (e.g the mathematical discovery of the planet Neptune confirming Newton's theory)? There are other things one might reqire of such a theory, as well. Is there a candidate for this theory?

Certainly such a theory would be "reductionistic". And for that reason, I imagine any such theory could NOT tell us all we need to know, for example, in an adapative way, about ourselves. However, such a theory could be interesting or useful. In the same way quantum mechanics tells us something, but certainly not everything, we need to know about the physical world.

In reply to:
I have no clue what you are talking about (again). Perhaps you'd like to explain what has given you this strange misconception of my position on this issue (which hasn't even been a topic in this thread until now, by the way).

Sorry about the misconception. But sometimes you do sound more like a Platonist than Plato does.

In reply to:

I can't help you distinguish "true believers" from false ones. I don't even really know what that is supposed to mean. Presumably there is no person who only believes things which are true....

By a true believer I simply meant someone who believed the truth about some particular belief. The false believer is simply someone who holds the opposite belief. (e.g. suppose we consider the religious-style belief that there is a God who deals out justice to human beings). On the other hand, I might even be willing to suspend the law of the excluded middle in certain cases (like quantum mechanics does) if this seemed reasonable in other ways.

In reply to:
If you explain what "true believers" means, and why you think this has anything to do with my conversation with largo, I'll be happy to tell you why you're confused.

See above.

In reply to:
Perhaps you can ask a coherent question, if you want to see an example of that. Or much better, just go buy yourself a copy of a book like The Selfish Gene or The Red Queen if you want to see some nice summaries of what people who are interested in evolutionary explanations of various human behaviors are coming up with.

You asked vivalargo to explain how evolution could be consistent with his ideas about God. This made me aggressively curious about how your ideas about truth (whatever they might be) could be framed in an evolutionary context. The question was real. Now you seem to be saying something like "that doesn't interest me too much". Well, you did ask vivalargo to do this, but I can relate to that sort of answer. That's pretty much how I feel about attempts to characterize the human mind in terms of digital computers. Anyways, there are people down below that seem to be takng the bait.

In reply to:
Ironic, but very illustrative of your last few posts: the one point you say you "agree with" me about is a point I have not made in this thread.

:roll:

I tend get a bit pinch drunk after some of these long posts and start to say any stupid thing that comes to my head. My "agreement" here would be one example of that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook