Nov 3, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #151 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Re: The End of Faith [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning.

Nice one.

(The first time I heard the word "theosophy", I couldn't help but laugh.)

vivalargo

Nov 3, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #152 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: "I don't think that is a reasonable position to take. The idea that there might be a state or quality of consciousness that you haven't experienced (or at least recognize that you've experienced) is hardly an outlandish claim. Sam Harris states as a fact that such a state exists, and I think he explains its nature using terminology that is easier to understand than Largo's."

I wouldn’t use Sam Harris as guide to what I am driving at but he’s taken the time and effort to experientially explore some of the issues and well knows the limititations of an absolutist, brain-based perspective. He states, “The root question of the relationship between consciousness and matter may not be answerable. Or it may not be answerable given our current concepts (mental v. physical; dualism v. monism; etc.)”

What he means here by the word “concepts” is the way we use language, the limit of the evaluating mind to only deal with things and values and aspects, limits our ability to approach consciousness as anything other that another piece of data, a mere function, a capacity, a brain-based agency—and Harris admits the impossibility of this model of investigation bearing definitive fruit that will fit into that particular system. What Harris does not get into is the fact that the material-empirical system, in the hands of those who use it with absolutist fervor—it itself limited.

Going on, Harris writes: “The only claim I have made about consciousness is that it MUST be explored, systematically, from a first-person perspective, and that such exploration can yield reproducible discoveries: one of the most interesting being that the subject/object dichotomy (the ego) is a kind of cognitive illusion. The crucial point is that there is an experiment that a person can run on himself (e.g. meditation) that can be used to test this claim.”

Not quite. Two important points here. First, the subject/object dichotomy is not an illusion in the normal sense of the word. It’s an illusion in the sense that the personality, along with our evaluating minds, are not ultimate functions or fundamental properties, but necessary albeit provisional and timebound states required to live and survive in the material world. They are brain-based, evolved and adaptive, and also indespensible to living in a physical body. Spiritual work is not a matter of transcending personality or that part of our minds that functions only in terms of data processing, reducing physical reality down to measurable bits and reproducable functions. The “work” is to see and understand that these functions operate within a greater field called consciousness, which was neither created nor was it ever “born.”

Harris goes on to talk about the relationship between consciousness and the physical world. “If consciousness really is an emergent property of large collections of neurons, then when these neurons die (or become sufficiently disordered) the lights must really go out. The point I make in my book is that, while we know that mental functions (like the ability to read) can be fully explained in terms of information processing, we don't know this about consciousness. For all we know, consciousness may be a more fundamental property of the universe than are neural circuits.”

The point is, there is no result in neuroscience that rules out dualism, panpsychism, or any other theory that denies the reduction of consciousness to states of the brain. “To my mind," Hasrris concludes, "neuroscience has demonstrated the supervenience of mind upon the brain.”

Here, Harris has all but said that consciousness is a more fundamental property of reality than “neural circuits,” or the physical matter that harbors same.

One of the most ironic things to come out of all of this is the the whole issue of religion (which is totally different than spirituality), which is not my particular interest, but remains the interest of some scientists insofar as they are out to debunk it entirely. But as they say, if science destroys religion, and demands obeisance to its principles, it IS a religion.

JL

fracture

Nov 4, 2006, 2:49 AM
Post #153 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wouldn’t use Sam Harris as guide to what I am driving at but he’s taken the time and effort to experientially explore some of the issues and well knows the limititations of an absolutist, brain-based perspective. He states, “The root question of the relationship between consciousness and matter may not be answerable. Or it may not be answerable given our current concepts (mental v. physical; dualism v. monism; etc.)”

What he means here by the word “concepts” is the way we use language, the limit of the evaluating mind to only deal with things and values and aspects, limits our ability to approach consciousness as anything other that another piece of data, a mere function, a capacity, a brain-based agency—and Harris admits the impossibility of this model of investigation bearing definitive fruit that will fit into that particular system. What Harris does not get into is the fact that the material-empirical system, in the hands of those who use it with absolutist fervor—it itself limited.

Well, I think he means that it may limit our ability to understand consciousness. I don't think Harris is declaring that it must be impossible (I interpreted his comments as alluding to a position along the lines of stuff Chomsky and the other Mysterians (as Flanagan calls them) have argued).

In reply to:
Harris goes on to talk about the relationship between consciousness and the physical world. “If consciousness really is an emergent property of large collections of neurons, then when these neurons die (or become sufficiently disordered) the lights must really go out. The point I make in my book is that, while we know that mental functions (like the ability to read) can be fully explained in terms of information processing, we don't know this about consciousness. For all we know, consciousness may be a more fundamental property of the universe than are neural circuits.”

The point is, there is no result in neuroscience that rules out dualism, panpsychism, or any other theory that denies the reduction of consciousness to states of the brain. “To my mind," Hasrris concludes, "neuroscience has demonstrated the supervenience of mind upon the brain.”

Here, Harris has all but said that consciousness is a more fundamental property of reality than “neural circuits,” or the physical matter that harbors same.

Yeah, I found all of that pretty suprising to come from a supposed naturalist. Yes, neuroscience hasn't ruled out dualism, but that's because neuroscience can't rule out dualism! It's not a hypothesis that can be disproved. Something like Leibniz's version in particular (where the mind-universe and the physical-universe run synchronously and in parallel, but don't need to interact) is just impossible to ever completely rule out.

What neuroscience (and the theory of evolution, computer science, etc) has done, though, is to show that dualism doesn't have any additional explanitory power. I think the status of dualism is now on par with belief in (certain types of) God(s)---it's not possible to prove the belief is false, but that doesn't mean it is still worth taking it seriously.

In reply to:
One of the most ironic things to come out of all of this is the the whole issue of religion (which is totally different than spirituality), which is not my particular interest, but remains the interest of some scientists insofar as they are out to debunk it entirely. But as they say, if science destroys religion, and demands obeisance to its principles, it IS a religion.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you---are you saying that spirituality isn't religion, but science is?

jt512

Nov 4, 2006, 4:12 AM
Post #154 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I think God is implausible on philosophical, not mathematical grounds. Though I'm curious what exactly you're thinking of when you say "mathematical fact".

Maybe "mathematical fact" was over-reaching, but what I was thinking is that there are an infinite number of possible creators of the universe we could hypothesize {Baal, Thor, Flying Spaghetti Monster, superior race from another Universe, the Abrahamic God, ...}. None of these add any explanatory power to a model of the Universe without any of them, and among this set of hypothesized creators, we have no rational reason to think one any more likely than another. Therefore, the simplest assumption would be to assign them all the same probability. And since there are an infinite number of them, the probability of any one of them approaches 1/inf, which is basically 0.

I basically agree, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on it makes me a little uneasy to bring probability into the argument (though it doesn't surprise me that you would do so :P). The part that's convincing to me is that adding any of those supernatural Gods to the universe doesn't add explanitory power (as you mention).

You prefer the simplest model that explains the phenomenon. So do I, of course. The question is, why? After all, the more complicated model might be the correct one. The rational reason why we don't take seriously more complex models that don't appear to add explanatory models is that the more complex model is less probable than the simpler one. And the reason that it is less probable is that are so many more complex models that could be proposed, and we see no reason to prefer one of them over another. So, I think the rational reason to ignore more complex models that appear not to add explanatory power is inherently probabilistic.

Which, as I see it, is why the burden of proof must be on the proponent of the more complicated model. If the burden was on the proponent of the simpler model to disprove the more complicated one, then the proponent of the simpler model could be caught up in an eternity of disproving more complex models. In nutrition alone, I would not have the time to refute the Zone Diet; the Atkins Diet; the Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith Diet; etc. Never mind the existence of God!

Jay

vivalargo

Nov 4, 2006, 4:13 AM
Post #155 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vivalargo wrote:

Fracture wrotre: "Well, I think he means that it may limit our ability to understand consciousness. I don't think Harris is declaring that it must be impossible (I interpreted his comments as alluding to a position along the lines of stuff Chomsky and the other Mysterians (as Flanagan calls them) have argued)."

I think you're abouit half right here. If you read Harris closely, you'll clearly understand that to him, the word "consciousness" is an altogether different order that "data processing," or what was put forth in the 80s book (can't rememger the author), "A Materisalsts Theory of Mind," as well as many other texts back then. Harris is saying somthing quite different: that the evaluating part of the evolved neo-cortex is in no wise the selfsame thing as consciousness, and that arguments suggessting that consciousness is "produced" by the evolved brain are totally specious--the most specious being that when we have more data, THEN we can show that the brain creates consciousness. Chomsky doesn't really traverse this kind of ground because he never really got past content ("content nativism"). Ultimately Harris is saying here that the criteria and language generally used, and the means of applying that citeria, belongs almost if not entirely to the evolved, evaluating part of our brains, and that this criteria and language are great when dealing with content, with things, elements, capacities, functions, states, and so forth, but are not suited for that which does not fall within measurable parameters. That's not to say that consciousness does not have a biological fingerprint, but that fingerprint is not consciousness itself, according to current neuroscience.

Quote: Harris goes on to talk about the relationship between consciousness and the physical world. “If consciousness really is an emergent property of large collections of neurons, then when these neurons die (or become sufficiently disordered) the lights must really go out. The point I make in my book is that, while we know that mental functions (like the ability to read) can be fully explained in terms of information processing, we don't know this about consciousness. For all we know, consciousness may be a more fundamental property of the universe than are neural circuits.”

The point is, there is no result in neuroscience that rules out dualism, panpsychism, or any other theory that denies the reduction of consciousness to states of the brain. “To my mind," Harris concludes, "neuroscience has demonstrated the supervenience of mind upon the brain.”

Yeah, I found all of that pretty suprising to come from a supposed naturalist. Yes, neuroscience hasn't ruled out dualism, but that's because neuroscience can't rule out dualism! It's not a hypothesis that can be disproved. Something like Leibniz's version in particular (where the mind-universe and the physical-universe run synchronously and in parallel, but don't need to interact) is just impossible to ever completely rule out.

You've basically hit on the snag in all of this: The evaluating mind, which carries out neuroscience, is specifically evolved to deal with material in ways that can be proved or disproved. What Harris has stated over and over is that when expl;oring the nature of consciousness itself (nto just the content of consciousness), language and numerical-based approaches are a dead end for the very reasons you have described above. But rather than stop at this dead end and say all forward movement is impossible because this road stops, Harris insists that you have to change roads and in a sense, change questions. Rather than futily try and prove or disprove consciousness from without, from the outside, you have to drop into consciousness and come to know it from the inside.

Fracture wrote: "What neuroscience (and the theory of evolution, computer science, etc) has done, though, is to show that dualism doesn't have any additional explanitory power. I think the status of dualism is now on par with belief in (certain types of) God(s)---it's not possible to prove the belief is false, but that doesn't mean it is still worth taking it seriously."

Fracture--and this is getting a little thick-headed in my honest opinion--you're simply stuck trying to think this through in the same old way. You're stuck on content. The content is created, but you're entirely incorrect to imply that neuroscience has shown that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain--Harris says the EXACT opposite seems to be the case, especially when one does the consciousness work. I'm not a huge Harris fan and I don't agree with all of his ideas or insights, but he's adamant about this in his writing.

Quote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you---are you saying that spirituality isn't religion, but science is?

Geeze. Tell me you didn't ask that question. I've said fifty times in this thread alone that spirituality and religion are usually totally different persuits. Spirituality is empirical, experiential and involves a ton of hard work that has nothing to do with thinking, cognating, beliefs, faith, proofs, and so forth. Religion is doctrinal based--basically second-hand descriptions. Science becomes a religion when people believe (but don't know) that the criteria and methodology of absolutist materialism can describe consciousness itself.

Let me leave off with a Harris quote that says a little more about the "work" that I have mentioned many times on this thread. Here, Harris talks about meditation (almost certainly Vapassana meditation--in Zazen, the eyes are not closed). There are many other aspects of the work, but this is a starting point for many. It underscores the total fusion of awareness to content that many people--especially staunch rationalists--are totally unaware of, having noodled consciousness, but not having done even the basic experiential investigation of what consciousness actually is.

Says Harris: "Meditation is definitely not a matter of thinking about experience in a new way; it is a matter of witnessing the flow of experience (including the flow of thought) from the perspective of consciousness itself. For most people, this is not easy to do. Serious training is usually in order.

A case in point: one of the easiest forms of meditation to learn entails nothing more than mere attention to the process of breathing. A person sits comfortably, closes his eyes, and simply attends to the sensations of the breath as it comes and goes at the tip of the nose. The moment a person attempts to do this, however, he begins to notice that he easily gets distracted by his thoughts. In the beginning, he will be a very poor judge of how distractible he is, in fact. While attempting to meditate on the breath, he will think thoughts like, "So I'm feeling the breath at the tip of the nose... so what? What's the big deal about the breath?", and he won't notice that each of these thoughts diverts his attention from the breath itself. He will, in other words, spend most of his time thinking without knowing that he is thinking. Of course, this is precisely how most of us spend every waking moment of our lives. If a person really wants to get to the bottom of things, he might go on a silent retreat and engage a practice like this, to the exclusion of all else, for 12 to 18 hours a day. In the beginning of such a retreat, many people feel that they can pay attention to the breath for several minutes at a time, before getting distracted. They are inevitably wrong about this. The truth is, they are so distracted by torrents of thought that they can't even begin to notice how distracted they are. After some days, or even weeks, they begin to report that they can only stay with the breath for a few seconds at a time before thoughts intervene. Eventually, however, there does come a point when a person gains extraordinary powers of concentration, and then he can actually see some things of real interest about the nature of his mind.

This is simply to say that the fact that you don't see anything of immediate interest when you look inside should not be taken as a sign that there is nothing of interest to see. Before a person learns how to read a CT-scan, all he sees is a gray mess. After a little training, anatomical details begin to emerge. The details were there all along, of course, they were just difficult to see."

What Harris points out here is that our "mind" and what most people consider consciousness is actually a state where people are totally caught up in thinking. You cannot think your way out of this state because thinking is the problem that masks a clear and direct experience of consciousness itself. The "boundary experiences" I mentioned earlier are those rare cases when for unknown reasons the fusion of awareness to content is momentarily disrupted.

Interestingly enough, when thought fusion is broken, there is no "I" that is experienced as experiencing anything. The "I" is part of the thinking, evaluating, duality matrix. However that "I" doesn't simply step aside, you usually have to consciously wait it out, though the "Big Mind" workshops are beginning to hasten that process.

JL

jt512

Nov 4, 2006, 5:03 AM
Post #156 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Largo, if you need to learn how to use the quote function, PM me. For Christ sake, if I can teach Tripper...

Jay

jt512

Nov 4, 2006, 5:20 AM
Post #157 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh, and regarding the OP:

People who have faith: 97% of all human beings.

People who don't: a tiny fringe minority of wackos.

End of faith?

Let's not pretend you've got it on the ropes just yet, eh?

:lol:
Yep, the overwhelming majority (97%) are uneducated barbarians -- so what?
Does not mean that it is acceptable for a normal modern person who was not deprived from access to educational benefits to believe in ridiculous myths! Besides, I doubt 97%. The US, Iraq, Asia -- yes. Civilized Europe -- not.

annak -- too lazy to go to my own laptop to post.

jt512

Nov 4, 2006, 5:25 AM
Post #158 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Still flogging that old untruth, huh?

Depends on your definitions. Unless you're totally atheistic and include no supernatural component of any kind in your worldview, you have faith of some sort. The number of people falling into that category is very, very small.

This is very quantitative indeed.

annak (posting from Jay's computer).

jt512

Nov 4, 2006, 6:46 AM
Post #159 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
That's rediculous, when was the last time you read about an atheist murdering, injuring, yelling epithets, or anything else at a religious person.

http://img.timeinc.net/...ry/images/stalin.jpg

Okay, 60 years ago. Fair enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand:

http://archiviofoto.blog.excite.it/...ERICAN-BEHEADING.jpg

Jay

blondgecko

Nov 4, 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #160 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

End of faith?

Does not mean that it is acceptable for a normal modern person who was not deprived from access to educational benefits to believe in ridiculous myths! Besides, I doubt 97%. The US, Iraq, Asia -- yes. Civilized Europe -- not.

I should add that that "tiny fringe minority of wackos" apparently includes around 80% of the Fellows of the Royal Society, 93% of scientists elected to the National Academy of Sciences, 60% of American scientists in general and all but a handful of Nobel laureates. A "fringe minority of wackos" indeed!

fracture

Nov 5, 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #161 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, I think the rational reason to ignore more complex models that appear not to add explanatory power is inherently probabilistic.

Nice post, Jay. (I'm sold, at least for now.)

fracture

Nov 6, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #162 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, I think he means that it may limit our ability to understand consciousness. I don't think Harris is declaring that it must be impossible (I interpreted his comments as alluding to a position along the lines of stuff Chomsky and the other Mysterians (as Flanagan calls them) have argued).

I think you're abouit half right here. If you read Harris closely, you'll clearly understand that to him, the word "consciousness" is an altogether different order that "data processing," ...

Are you referring to his book or that interview? In the interview, it seems to me that he's not declaring that at all, but merely saying that cognitive science still needs to consider that as a real possibility, and also needs to consider the possibility that humans are fundamentally incapable of understanding consciousness (this is Chomsky's Mysterianism).

And both of these things are possibilities, and I think they have been given more than their fair share of consideration---actually they've basically been assumed as true for generations. The latter in particular seems quite idle and vacuous, to me. Even if it is true, we'll never be able to find out.

It's very interesting to me to note, by the way, that Harris sees his meditation as a reason to keep dualism in mind as a serious possibility, while Owen Flanagan (who is also a practicing Buddhist) seems to suggest the opposite. (This also is an excellent illustration of why introspection should not be admissible as a philosophical method.)

In reply to:
Harris is saying somthing quite different: that the evaluating part of the evolved neo-cortex is in no wise the selfsame thing as consciousness, and that arguments suggessting that consciousness is "produced" by the evolved brain are totally specious--the most specious being that when we have more data, THEN we can show that the brain creates consciousness.

Is this in his book, or are you getting it from that interview?

(Judging by the interview, I don't think that's his position at all.)

In reply to:
Ultimately Harris is saying here that the criteria and language generally used, and the means of applying that criteria, belongs almost if not entirely to the evolved, evaluating part of our brains, and that this criteria and language are great when dealing with content, with things, elements, capacities, functions, states, and so forth, but are not suited for that which does not fall within measurable parameters.

Given that Harris thinks his version of spirituality (which is a word he says he doesn't like to use) is something science can and should investigate, I think you are definitely misunderstanding his position.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, I found all of that pretty surprising to come from a supposed naturalist. Yes, neuroscience hasn't ruled out dualism, but that's because neuroscience can't rule out dualism! It's not a hypothesis that can be disproved. Something like Leibniz's version in particular (where the mind-universe and the physical-universe run synchronously and in parallel, but don't need to interact) is just impossible to ever completely rule out.

You've basically hit on the snag in all of this: The evaluating mind, which carries out neuroscience, is specifically evolved to deal with material in ways that can be proved or disproved.

I don't know what this "evaluating mind" is supposed to be, but inductive reasoning---not anything resembling proof---appears to be a key way humans have evolved to reason about their environment.

In reply to:
What Harris has stated over and over is that when expl;oring the nature of consciousness itself (nto just the content of consciousness), language and numerical-based approaches are a dead end for the very reasons you have described above.

Again I have to ask if this is something in his book, because it definitely isn't in that interview.

Either way, that's completely wrong. We will never be able to understand the human mind without the tools of science.

In reply to:
In reply to:
What neuroscience (and the theory of evolution, computer science, etc) has done, though, is to show that dualism doesn't have any additional explanatory power. I think the status of dualism is now on par with belief in (certain types of) God(s)---it's not possible to prove the belief is false, but that doesn't mean it is still worth taking it seriously.

Fracture--and this is getting a little thick-headed in my honest opinion--you're simply stuck trying to think this through in the same old way. You're stuck on content. The content is created, but you're entirely incorrect to imply that neuroscience has shown that consciousness is an emergent property of the brain--Harris says the EXACT opposite seems to be the case, especially when one does the consciousness work. I'm not a huge Harris fan and I don't agree with all of his ideas or insights, but he's adamant about this in his writing.

You seem to have missed my point. I'm not arguing that neuroscience has shown dualism is false---I'm arguing that it can't show that (at least, for certain types of dualism), so that's not worth considering as support for dualism.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Geeze. Tell me you didn't ask that question. I've said fifty times in this thread alone that spirituality and religion are usually totally different persuits.

And I think this statement is factually wrong. Even if we were to admit a distinction between religion and spirituality (and I'm fine with doing that if it's useful, though I suspect the real reason people want to do so is to try to frame spirituality as intellectually defensible), it is a simple fact that historically spirituality has very often been dressed in religious clothing.

The history and religious trappings of Buddhism are a case in point. Harris actually has an interesting perspective on this.

In reply to:
Spirituality is empirical, experiential and involves a ton of hard work that has nothing to do with thinking, cognating, beliefs, faith, proofs, and so forth. Religion is doctrinal based--basically second-hand descriptions. Science becomes a religion when people believe (but don't know) that the criteria and methodology of absolutist materialism can describe consciousness itself.

This strikes me as meaningless word-play.

vivalargo

Nov 6, 2006, 1:45 AM
Post #163 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fracture,

Rather than hash out points ad nauseum, and try and force you to expand your perspective, let's just go back to one point that Harris made, a point that no one can argue: "The only claim I have made in my book about consciousness is that it must be explored, systematically, from a first-person perspective." This "first-person" perspective is what I was earlier referring to as a direct, experiential investigation.

Perhaps you are not curious about what he, and I, and many others are talking about? Most likely you have an idea of what is involved--and I'd be most curious to find out what you are actually thinking is going on. FYI, I never got into the cultural accretions and superstitions (Harris called it Munbo Jumbo) of spiritual paths. They are totally needless and have nothing to do with the "first person" work. None whatsoever. If you don't have an inner bullshit detector that is pretty well honed, you get lost in a hurry with this work.

JL

fracture

Nov 6, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #164 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rather than hash out points ad nauseum, and try and force you to expand your perspective, let's just go back to one point that Harris made, a point that no one can argue: "The only claim I have made in my book about consciousness is that it must be explored, systematically, from a first-person perspective." This "first-person" perspective is what I was earlier referring to as a direct, experiential investigation.

Right. He says a lot on this stuff, and much of it is confused. For example, he claims consciousness is not related to behavior, which is not a very defensible position (it's the Zombic Hunch). But ultimately what he seems to endorse is third-person science (despite his claims not to)---subjects are not infallible. The only thing we have to (and should) take someone's word for is what they believe to be the case about their phenomenal world.

In reply to:
Perhaps you are not curious about what he, and I, and many others are talking about?

I'm curious about it (and I'm also curious why religion in general is so widespread). But it has to be studied scientifically if you really want to understand it.

vivalargo

Nov 6, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #165 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"But it has to be studied scientifically if you really want to understand it."

This is hooked up to your belief system and there's no evidence that you're willing, or capible, of changing this belief. You have a fundamentalist/absolutist belief in this, and that's your right. But as Harris said himself, and I'm saying now, you'll never "understand" consciousness through measuring, no mater how vigorously you believe you can. Consciousness is not a mechanism, but we've already said that.

The question is--why is that so? Because measuring has to do with the content of consciousness, not the infinate field in which content (and behavior) arises, and into which it receeds. I don't fault you for believing as you do because you apparently have no experience beyond content, and till you do, you'll think about consciousness in terms of an emergent digital processor that was "programmed" through evolution.

Enough said.

JL

Partner tradman

Nov 6, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #166 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is hooked up to your belief system and there's no evidence that you're willing, or capible, of changing this belief.

Mmmm.

This has been a fascinating thread, but I'm a little sad that it's all come back to square one again because of this inflexible core assumption: that only science can produce genuine understanding.

fracture

Nov 6, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #167 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"But it has to be studied scientifically if you really want to understand it."

This is hooked up to your belief system and there's no evidence that you're willing, or capible, of changing this belief. You have a fundamentalist/absolutist belief in this, and that's your right. But as Harris said himself, and I'm saying now, you'll never "understand" consciousness through measuring, no mater how vigorously you believe you can.

Where did he say that? I understand that that's your position (and I think you're wrong), but my interpretation of what Harris said is quite different. He seems to think that consciousness might be possible to understand scientifically, and that scientifically studying meditation will help. Maybe I misunderstood him, though.

In reply to:
Consciousness is not a mechanism, but we've already said that.

Yes, you've said that, but you haven't provided any support for it. You have made a lot of assertions here, and then subsequently acted like you don't need to provide any support for them. You're not going to convince any intelligent people of anything using those tactics.

So the question is, what evidence can you present that consciousness is not a mechanism? Read that Dennett paper I linked. No good arguments for the Zombic Hunch have ever been given---they all ultimately end up begging the question (sometimes in subtle ways many layers down in the argument). And it's almost impossible to make it naturalistic. Also, note that you can't appeal to your spirituality or introspective meditation or whatever on this for a couple reasons. The first is that that's not really an argument, as I've been telling you---the second is that some people who meditate (Owen Flanagan) don't agree with your conclusions.

And again, if consciousness is not a mechanism, how did it evolve? How come some organisms (giant robots built out of many microscopic robots) are conscious, while others aren't, even though they are made of the same stuff? If consciousness is an essential property of an organism that is either there or not, was there a first conscious animal? How can that be possible when natural selection has to work through gradual change?

In reply to:
The question is--why is that so? Because measuring has to do with the content of consciousness, not the infinate field in which content (and behavior) arises, and into which it receeds.

I cannot make heads or tails of this sentence. (And I promise I am trying to read it charitably.)

In reply to:
I don't fault you for believing as you do because you apparently have no experience beyond content, and till you do, you'll think about consciousness in terms of an emergent digital processor that was "programmed" through evolution.

This isn't a real argument.

vivalargo

Nov 6, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #168 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Te Man in the Cave

To be totally fused with and beholden to the emergent evaluating mind is somewhat like being trapped in Plato’s Cave. Plato realized that the general run of humankind could think, and speak, etc., without (so far as they could acknowledge, or could logically prove, according to their experience) any awareness of his realm of Forms. The same holds true with the issue of consciousness. When a person is working solely within the evaluating mind—the super data processor function of the brain—he is basically basing his perspective of reality from within that structure, within that particular cave. Because he has no other view, and his experience and reckoning admits no other view (of the outside world), he will hold steadfast to his view—which is spot-on within the confines of the cave (evaluating mind).

The shortcoming here is that there is nothing within the cave to suggest the cave is limited, that there is more. At its most extreme, cave dwellers will insist that if there indeed is more, if that “more” is not accessible and “knowable” by way of cave language, then it is non-issue or “unknowable.” All true--within the cave.

Efforts to coax folks out of the cave are met with strong if not absolute resistance, and all manner of justifications, the arguments basically being that unless the existence of something beyond the cave walls cannot be proved within the cave, in the cave man’s language, and to his complete satisfaction, it is all a non-starter and mumbo jumbo. The cave man simply does not understand that A), it is possible to actually leave the cave, and B), cave language is valid only within the cave, and in fact is a road block to ever getting out.

Everyone who has ever escaped gets out via baby steps and they learn the language of consciousness as any beginner learns a new language. But verily, few cave men ever choose to make the effort to ever got out, and waste much time disparaging the idea that they ever can, that there is anywhere else to actually go.

JL

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 7, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #169 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

JL

I liked what the Dalai Lama said in his book, The Universe In a Nutshell, regarding "conciousness"...

(Paraphrasing) "Conciousness is completely subjective to the person experiencing it. Its hard to even try to quantify or describe in detail one's experiences and ideas about it, as different cultures have different definitions and ideas of what the "mind" is for just one example, and what that simple word encompasses to each culture. Its like two people speaking completely different languages trying to understand the details of what each is saying."

annak

Nov 8, 2006, 6:47 AM
Post #170 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

End of faith?

I should add that that "tiny fringe minority of wackos" apparently includes around 80% of the Fellows of the Royal Society, 93% of scientists elected to the National Academy of Sciences, 60% of American scientists in general and all but a handful of Nobel laureates. A "fringe minority of wackos" indeed!

Nice statistics, blondgecko, hit'em with the data! Not that they care about any proofs, unfortunately.

I should add that there are examples of religion handicapping the most prominent minds. Einstein, for example, could not accept Quantum Mechanics -- because he believed in god and that "god does not play dice". Typical example of disregarding the host of the physcial evidence on the basis of faith. What he would achieve if not for his spiritual handicap? ??

blondgecko

Nov 8, 2006, 7:02 AM
Post #171 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

End of faith?

Nice statistics, blondgecko, hit'em with the data! Not that they care about any proofs, unfortunately.

I should add that there are examples of religion handicapping the most prominent minds. Einstein, for example, could not accept Quantum Mechanics -- because he believed in god and that "god does not play dice". Typical example of disregarding the host of the physcial evidence on the basis of faith. What he would achieve if not for his spiritual handicap? ??

Actually, Einstein quite vocally did not believe in anything that any Christian would recognise as "God" - he just happened to have a somewhat poetic turn of phrase at times. It's generally accepted that this was just his way of saying he wasn't ready to accept that the principles of the universe were based on randomness. His true reasons for this are not something I'm familiar with.

fracture

Nov 8, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #172 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, Einstein quite vocally did not believe in anything that any Christian would recognise as "God" - he just happened to have a somewhat poetic turn of phrase at times. It's generally accepted that this was just his way of saying he wasn't ready to accept that the principles of the universe were based on randomness. His true reasons for this are not something I'm familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox

annak

Nov 8, 2006, 4:44 PM
Post #173 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I am not really an expert on Einstein's biography. I just now that religious people often refer to him as an example of a famous scientist who needed god to complete the universe. While it is indeed not possible to tell why exactly he did not accept quantum mechanics, I would speculate that it is easier to imagine someone omnipotent orchestrating the word governed by deterministic classical mechanics. Anyway, these are just my thoughts...

Edited to add:
A quick look through Wikipedia article on Einstein:
"I do not think that it is necessarily the case that science and religion are natural opposites. In fact, I think that there is a very close connection between the two. Further, I think that science without religion is lame and, conversely, that religion without science is blind. Both are important and should work hand-in-hand."

That sounds pretty bad to me....

blondgecko

Nov 8, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #174 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But he also said this:

In reply to:
I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion.

In reply to:
I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

In reply to:
The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive.

In reply to:
I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.

In reply to:
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

In reply to:
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning.

In reply to:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

annak

Nov 9, 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #175 of 179 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These do support your point. However, the other quotes are unsettling, including his telegramm response to rabbi Goldstein...

I know very close a number of top scientists (whom I respect for their science and personal virtues) who are religious. It makes me very sad indeed....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook