Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

coastal_climber

Nov 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 37 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Tying Trad Draws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it acceptable to make trad draws with webbing tied together, or should I buy pre-sewn slings?

>Cam

(This post was edited by coastal_climber on Nov 22, 2006, 10:27 PM)

jeremy11

Nov 22, 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #2 of 37 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go ahead and tie them.
4mm cord tied with a sheet bend, tautline hitch, or square knot should work great - simple, light, cheap, and easy to untie!!TongueCoolBlushPirate

caughtinside

Nov 22, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 37 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can tie them. just be aware that the knot will be bulky, so getting the knot to pull through some smaller biners will be hard.

I have a mix. my tied slings i put over my shoulder, the sewn ones i triple and clip to my harness.

and tying your own is a LOT cheaper. 1.25 vs. 6 bux each.

shockabuku

Nov 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #4 of 37 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, webbing works fine. Use a water knot, leave some tails; they tend to work loose. There are some old posts in here about it. Look up the beer knot for a more permanent suggestion.

notch

Nov 22, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #5 of 37 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

3" tails on the water knot and check them often. The knot will slowly work loose with cyclical loading, but they're the right choice.

coastal_climber

Nov 23, 2006, 3:56 AM
Post #6 of 37 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, thanks for the info, I was wondering if they would work or not. I tied some and I'm waiting for spring to use them. Peace.

colotopian

Nov 23, 2006, 4:53 AM
Post #7 of 37 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

... I recommend using sewn runners. They're nice, really.

jt512

Nov 23, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #8 of 37 (3727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it acceptable to make trad draws with webbing tied together...

No, it is a serious taboo, somewhere between incest and...(almost said the forbidden "P" word).

Jay

charley

Nov 23, 2006, 1:19 PM
Post #9 of 37 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started climbing that is what most of the guys had for slings. It is bulky and much heavier. They work and are safe. The nice light weight sewn runners they have today are much nicer.
My rack is such that I will not put anything more on it because of the weight. I have yet to figure what I don't need. I was with a guy just starting to buy a rack and With the runners and lite biners he had I could prolly cut five pounds off my rack. Then I could buy another set of cams.
Money isn't everything.

cragmasterp

Nov 23, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #10 of 37 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its good to have a few tied slings in case you need to leave one for a rappel anchor in an emergancy.

sonso45

Nov 23, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #11 of 37 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanna know if Jeremy11 was serious in his knot recommendations. I can't think of a simpler way to tie a runner than the waterknot. I would consider the triple fisherman's if I was bored. Any other knot is unnecessary. Manny

metalhead

Nov 23, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #12 of 37 (3581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, thanks for the info, I was wondering if they would work or not. I tied some and I'm waiting for spring to use them. Peace.

why dont you wait till spring to tie them, your webbing will get bends in it if knots are in it for that long

catbird_seat

Nov 23, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #13 of 37 (3563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wanna know if Jeremy11 was serious in his knot recommendations. I can't think of a simpler way to tie a runner than the waterknot. I would consider the triple fisherman's if I was bored. Any other knot is unnecessary. Manny
Of course not, he was just being a wise guy.

My take is that if you are just cragging, get all sewn runners. If you climb in the mountains, bring a few tied runners for rappeling, since you can tie them around trees more easily.

Partner brent_e

Nov 24, 2006, 6:57 AM
Post #14 of 37 (3512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Of course not, he was just being a wise guy.

My take is that if you are just cragging, get all sewn runners. If you climb in the mountains, bring a few tied runners for rappeling, since you can tie them around trees more easily.

or better yet, bring a spool of webbing along!!!! LaughWink

i have some tied runners. They are ok, but light sewn ones are really handy. They seem to deploy quicker, so when i'm sketched on that 5.6 i can "take" quicker.

seriously.

But they are CHEAP.

jeremy11

Nov 24, 2006, 5:47 PM
Post #15 of 37 (3425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, obviously (I hope) it was a joke - water knot, beer knot, double fisherman on cord, fig 8 on cord, or sewn.
personally I use cheaper nylon slings for over the shoulder and dyneema for trad draws since they flip out way easier. plus its a good idea to have a few nylon for friction knots if needed since dyneema/spectra is too slippery and melts easily. of course I always carry at least 2 prussik cords anyway... If you wanted to go cheaper yet, go with tied shoulder slings (water knot) and tied 12" draws and secure each end of the draw with a rubber band (cut up a popped bike tube for free rubber bands) so the knot stays put and the biners dont flip around.

sonso45

Nov 24, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #16 of 37 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whew, I do take things a tad too seriously, thanks Jeremy. I also used to put a couple hand sewn stitches of nylon thread on the tails after I pulled the sling tight to further set the knot. This was in response to pulling a sling off my shoulder and having to retie the water knot cause it had loosened from laying about.

coastal_climber

Nov 24, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #17 of 37 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not wondering about cheaper, just wether they are safe to use, because you can make pretty much any length of sling. I use a water knot, I haven't heard of anything other knots safe for joining webbing.

catbird_seat

Nov 25, 2006, 1:26 AM
Post #18 of 37 (3364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can use a double fisherman to join webbing, but it is very difficult to untie, which is why the water knot is preferred. On occasion I've use the DF when I am rappelling on the sling and leaving it behind.

tradrenn

Nov 27, 2006, 1:55 AM
Post #19 of 37 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
Is it acceptable to make trad draws with webbing tied together, or should I buy pre-sewn slings?

You can do that using waterknot but, your draws would be super bulky, which royally sucks if you ask me. Don't waist your money and go buy some pre-sewn slings.

Partner alexmac

Nov 27, 2006, 4:46 AM
Post #20 of 37 (3249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

You can do that using waterknot but, your draws would be super bulky, which royally sucks if you ask me. Don't waist your money and go buy some pre-sewn slings.

Ack, I agree with tradreen, lets add some extras.

1) weight saving with pre sewn slings
2) not having to fiddle every few climbs or even each climb to check knots or when placing gear and discovring your knot is not up to snuff and you only have one hand to tie with.
3) rack space conservation that tradreen already mentions.

shimanilami

Nov 27, 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #21 of 37 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those new Mammut slings make sweet trad quickdraws. They're so slim, they rack on your harness just like sport draws. (I've got 12, all with Hotwires. Now that's some sweet shit.)

But I always carry a couple of tied runners on multi-pitch climbs. You never know. You may have to thread a hole or leave something behind.

caughtinside

Nov 27, 2006, 6:42 AM
Post #22 of 37 (3209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

>Cam

Seeing as how many have missed the basic point of the question... yes, it is acceptable to tie your own slings.

Some have pointed out the advantages of using sewn slings. Yes, sewn slings are light. yes, sewn slings are less bulky. Yes, most of the slings on my rack are sewn.

But, sewn slings are also more expensive, and you'll be bummed if you have to leave them behind. If you need to bail, it's a lot nicer to have something you can untie and retie around a block or tree or whatever. Also, sooner or later you'll run into an anchor with a bunch of rotten slings on it that you'll want to back up with yours. Much easier to do with tied slings. having a couple is always handy.

dfoote07

Nov 27, 2006, 7:28 AM
Post #23 of 37 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The mammut ones are great, have a few of them, but with nutrienos. They are even lighter. Give them a try.

Tried draws are safe. I have used them too.

Has anyone used the beer knot for tying draws? It seems to be smoother then the water knot. You can search for it on wikipedia.com - beer knot-

Derek

Partner alexmac

Nov 27, 2006, 8:53 AM
Post #24 of 37 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "caughtinside
Seeing as how many have missed the basic point of the question... yes, it is acceptable to tie your own slings.
I did not miss the point I was politely pointing out the advantages, as I though the whole idea of tying webbing together was rather dumb.

So you bail and leave gear behind, it sometimes happens. It is not as if your leaving your whole rack of draws and what ever passive or active gear you placed.

The basic point is the self tied slings come loose, what's your life worth ?

Lets say you survive the accident and are in a wheel chair for life, was it really worth saving 100 bucks to live 30 years in a chair making no money ? (I'd rather die actually)

Yes have some good to have some webbing handy on your rack, I carry two , but not for draws.

Partner alexmac

Nov 27, 2006, 8:55 AM
Post #25 of 37 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Tying Trad Draws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
Those new Mammut slings make sweet trad quickdraws. They're so slim, they rack on your harness just like sport draws. (I've got 12, all with Hotwires. Now that's some sweet shit.)

But I always carry a couple of tied runners on multi-pitch climbs. You never know. You may have to thread a hole or leave something behind.

They are very sweet with helium wire gates. I also carry some extra webbing for just such a purpose.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook