Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Davey

Feb 6, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #101 of 128 (2857 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AngusBeefheart] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

AngusBeefheart wrote:
my good friend lemon_joy, we really seem to be bonding, I'd love to go climbing with you and learn more from your wisdom and vast experience. I promise not to drop you if you promise not to fall.

See! Now that’s more like it. Group huge.Smile

lemon_boy

Feb 6, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #102 of 128 (2828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

little angie beef hard,

i checked out your impressive tick list, and i just don't know if i can keep up. golly, top roping a couple 40 foot 5.6's sounds way out of my league. i bet you enjoy showing those pudgy little freshman babes just how a mountain man climbs those mighty rocks. bet you tell them epic tales of your boldness and take them out for a seductive dinner afterwards (on daddy's plastic, of course!). i almost broke my arm when i fell out of my chair laughing. maybe i should sue?

oh yeah, just what do you do for 60 hours a week at the aquarium? rub shamu's belly? teach dolphins sign language? write some of that pseudo-intellectual poetry that you post on your blog site? come on, out with it young lad, inquiring minds want to know!

Feb 6, 2007, 9:41 PM
Post #103 of 128 (2822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dharmatreez wrote:
i would have left a plastic LNT card

Isn't that a contradiction?

billcoe_

Feb 6, 2007, 9:46 PM
Post #104 of 128 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
dharmatreez wrote:
i would have left a plastic LNT card

Isn't that a contradiction?

SlySly

That's funny. But why can't people just leave other people stuff alone.

Visual blight my ass.

The friggan house you live in is visual blight. How would you dudes claiming trash like your house torn down and your car made to disappear?

It's blight too.

dharmatreez

Feb 6, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #105 of 128 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ha!

i meant attached to the note for the slackliner and therefore taken with the note (and hopefully he would read it and attach it to his pack)

but knowing myself i probably would have went back in a few days to see if the note (and card were taken) just out of curiousity

but trading a whole slackline setup for a small, tan, plastic LNT card seems like a step in the right direction, but i am sure that would offend some climbers, as it is seen as a right to leave climbing "gear" on their entitled piece of rock on public land

wow, never thought i would get beef for not stealing but handing in the slackline and leaving a note and card for the original owner

happy trails and safe climbing you fuckers

jason

(This post was edited by dharmatreez on Feb 6, 2007, 9:58 PM)

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 6, 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #106 of 128 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Visual blight my ass.

The friggan house you live in is visual blight.

Damn you're dumber than a brick. What part of "public land" don't you understand? Build a structure on public land and it gets torn down. Abandon a car on public land and it gets towed away. In both cases you get fined and stuck with the bill. Somebody did Larry a favor by cleaning up his shit.

dharmatreez

Feb 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #107 of 128 (2791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Build a structure on public land and it gets torn down. Abandon a car on public land and it gets towed away. In both cases you get fined and stuck with the bill. Somebody did Larry a favor by cleaning up his shit.

out of curiousity...

if i would have cleaned the rig, and taken it to the park office, would the owner trying to retrieve it from them get fined?

what is the policy on federal/state land for leaving up gear like this? (not sure what land designation the OP was rigged on)

if a ranger or officer had seen it, would they have removed it?

anyone know the specifics on this

instead of all of these opinions on how different people "feel" whether it is right or wrong, what does the actual laws say

(This post was edited by dharmatreez on Feb 6, 2007, 10:24 PM)

d1ll1gaf

Feb 6, 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #108 of 128 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
Visual blight my ass.

Damn you're dumber than a brick. What part of "public land" don't you understand? Build a structure on public land and it gets torn down. Abandon a car on public land and it gets towed away. In both cases you get fined and stuck with the bill. Somebody did Larry a favor by cleaning up his shit.

You should look in the mirror before calling other people names (didn't your mother teach you any manners?).

In order to abandon something, the owner needs to have made a decision not to attempt to retrieve the item. Leaving something behind on public land is not abandoning it (although given that the world is unfortunately not an honest place it may be ill advised). If the item has been left illegally, then only the proper legal authorities have the right to remove and/or seize it (and fine the person who left it). Using your own example of a car, if you where to come across a car that had been left in the ditch by its owner for a month and decided it was 'abandoned' and towed it off for yourself, you would be arrested and convicted of grand theft auto.

In this specific case, Larry was using the public land in line with the regulations provided by the rangers. That means his gear was not abandoned and this is a clear case of theft (based upon the information provided). What Larry should be doing is filing a police report so that if the person who took the gear is every identified they can be punished by the proper authorities.

lemon_boy

Feb 6, 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #109 of 128 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1ll1gaf] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

from the idiocy of your post, i think roy_hinkley_jr isn't far off the mark. grand theft auto after a month long abandonment. damn that's funny.

Feb 6, 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #110 of 128 (2754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dharmatreez wrote:
wow, never thought i would get beef for not stealing but handing in the slackline and leaving a note and card for the original owner

I just thought it was real funny to be leaving a note (a trace) reminding people to not leave a trace. Even if you went back to see if it was still there or not, its still a contradiction and therefore funny to me! :)

Its like the people in class who tell everyone to "be quite".

I seriously doubt anybody posting on this subject would bother to take down, not 1 but 2, highlines, if it didn't somehow benefit them finacially. IMHO

dharmatreez

Feb 6, 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #111 of 128 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
dharmatreez wrote:

I just thought it was real funny to be leaving a note (a trace) reminding people to not leave a trace. Even if you went back to see if it was still there or not, its still a contradiction and therefore funny to me! :)

I seriously doubt anybody posting on this subject would bother to take down, not 1 but 2, highlines, if it didn't somehow benefit them finacially. IMHO

i find it funny myself, never realized the contradiction. i'm so use to replacing them at campsites and shelters during maintenance, i never thought twice about it in this situation

as to taking them down without financial reward, i would definitely do it. would be alot easier than most of the trail maintenance and campsite cleanup i do, also without any financial payback... i'm a different kinda cat i guess, but i do see what you mean that some would only see financial benefit in the work involved, and that is why it was stolen, i'm sure

happy trails and safe climbing

zeke_sf

Feb 6, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #112 of 128 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AngusBeefheart wrote:
my good friend lemon_joy, we really seem to be boning...

Get a room you two!

Feb 7, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #113 of 128 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Abandon a car on public land and it gets towed away.

You haven't proved the gear was abandoned. However, I do concede the gear in question was left unattended.

I hope you don't beleive your argument applies equally to items that are, at times, left unattended. Do you?

bler

Feb 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #114 of 128 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this all comes down to ethics, you are all stupid for arguing this, grow up and don't leave your shit out.. or your stuff will get taken too!

yes in some areas, leaving a biner is illegal and you will be fined, leave webbing and you get fined too.

besides who trusts gear that is left out anyways?

it's not a car, or a house.. its like leaving money out, you leave it, you loose it. its not like the people took it out from someone's bag !

lemon_boy

Feb 7, 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #115 of 128 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, fell out of my chair laughing and bout broke my other arm. i think angie meant to say, 'you really seem to be boning me(ie reaming my ass)'. the 'we boning' is definitely a misnomer as i seem to be doing all of the pitching, and (s)he seems to be doing all the catching.

this thread has entertained the hell out of me, but i'm thinking about calling angie's parents and telling them to buy me a TV and cable instead.

AngusBeefheart

Feb 7, 2007, 1:03 AM
Post #116 of 128 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh lemon_cakes, you were always such the charmer...

Feb 7, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #117 of 128 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bler] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_

Sep 25, 2007, 4:40 PM
Post #118 of 128 (2538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
Visual blight my ass.

You seem so screwed up that it's hardly not even worth talking to you.

The next time you have a tent pitched on public land and go for a day hike: I hope and wish that the lowlife MF's who you seem to love and support, show up and STEAL every damn thing you own. Thats right, it's called STEALING which is taking other peoples hard earned goods without permission.

Then you will STFU: realize that you have no morals, are totally F*ed up ethically, and come to my side of the fence and agree with me that everything you have said so far on this thread only indicates that you have NO ethics, and NO morals.

billcoe_

Sep 25, 2007, 4:41 PM
Post #119 of 128 (2537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't take other people stuff Roy.

DON'T DO IT, IT'S CALLED STEALING AND IS AGAINST THE LAW

wzrdgandalf

Sep 25, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #120 of 128 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Kudos to whoever it was that cleaned up the abandoned trash! Hopefully it was disposed of properly. Larry, unless that was private land (doubtful), you got what you deserved...don't litter!

It would be trash pick up if the person who cleaned it up made an effort to get it back to the people who owned it and then made them know that it was taken down for this reason. Putting it under your ownership after you "clean it up" is stealing plain and simple. If it were an eye sore then they could have taken it down and cached it near where they took it down so that the owners could find it (and a letter explaining that they are stupid for leaving it up). Of course i think i would take a biner for my services in cleaning upWink

moose_droppings

Sep 25, 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #121 of 128 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
Good luck catching these thieves.

Grand Larceny is a great reason to buy a trail cam to take pics of your gear should anyone come near it.
I hunt and I know many guys who place these out to catch treestand thieves in areas that have a history of getting hit. The photos that I have heard of always stick.
Good luck. I often wonder about ebay stuff.....was it stolen stuff ???

Just this week we were hiking and came across one of these motion sensored cameras in a remote area hanging off a tree. It was monitoring a very secluded spring that made a bit of a watering hole.

My wife said "They'll know we were here now." after it took a picture.
I said "Not if we take it." and laughed.

Of course we didn't take it, but I took a picture of it while it was taking a picture of me. Should give the dude a good laugh. More wildlife than he bargained for.

Now back to the regularly scheduled argument...er...thread.

NSFW

Sep 25, 2007, 6:30 PM
Post #122 of 128 (2458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Adk wrote:

Grand Larceny is a great reason to buy a trail cam to take pics of your gear should anyone come near it.
I hunt and I know many guys who place these out to catch treestand thieves in areas that have a history of getting hit. The photos that I have heard of always stick.

Just this week we were hiking and came across one of these motion sensored cameras in a remote area hanging off a tree. It was monitoring a very secluded spring that made a bit of a watering hole.

Of course we didn't take it, but I took a picture of it while it was taking a picture of me. Should give the dude a good laugh. More wildlife than he bargained for.
[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/jct54/camera.jpg[/IMG]

I can't believe you passed up an opportunity to moon it.

knieveltech

Sep 25, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #123 of 128 (2452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NSFW] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
Adk wrote:

[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/jct54/camera.jpg[/IMG]

I can't believe you passed up an opportunity to moon it.

or set it on fire.

climbingaggie03

Sep 25, 2007, 6:46 PM
Post #124 of 128 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wzrdgandalf wrote :
In reply to:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:Kudos to whoever it was that cleaned up the abandoned trash! Hopefully it was disposed of properly. Larry, unless that was private land (doubtful), you got what you deserved...don't litter!

It would be trash pick up if the person who cleaned it up made an effort to get it back to the people who owned it and then made them know that it was taken down for this reason. Putting it under your ownership after you "clean it up" is stealing plain and simple. If it were an eye sore then they could have taken it down and cached it near where they took it down so that the owners could find it (and a letter explaining that they are stupid for leaving it up). Of course i think i would take a biner for my services in cleaning up

So, I don't think that they should take people's highline set ups, but your definition of trash is crap. Would you pick up a cigarette butt and try and figure out whose butt it is and give it back to them? Would you say you were stealing if you kept the cigarette butt and threw it away?

I think that he should have taken his highline down if he was going to leave it for long enough for people to take it. I think the people that took it down should have atleast left it for him instead of taking it. Do people always do what I think they should do? nope.

Partner rocdaug

Sep 25, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #125 of 128 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Stolen: Highline bandit stikes again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry you had your circus toys ripped off.
Yes it's stealing, and vandalism by the sounds of it.
Now you know what it feels like to have someone do you wrong.

Just for the sake of argument lets pretend that whom ever did this thinks that you have no right leaving your rig up. From their point of view you are the one in the wrong and loosing your gear is the price you pay.

The thing that many people who leave their gear up do not seem to understand is this: You are not the only people on the planet and this world was not created for your sole use. Personally, I hate seeing climbing crap littering my favorite places. It's an eyesore and the only people who don't think so are the people who leave their gear up.

...and I don't buy the "you don't climb hard enough to understand bullshit" or "it takes a long time to rig this so we have to leave it up" arguments. I don't give one floppy stacker if you think you are entitled to leave your crap laying around. If you leave it out and it gets stolen you are just stupid.

oh, and before some jackass (you know who you are) accuses me of stealing. ...sorry not my thing. Even though I think it's eyesore I, unlike those who leave their crap up, respect their right to litter my special places with their crap.

Yes, it's stealing
Yes, it's vandalism
Yes, it's wrong that others steal from you
and Yes, it's your fault.
Frown

rd

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register