Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

chalker7

Feb 28, 2007, 4:49 PM
Post #26 of 79 (7318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eddietheteddie] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright! I got it on the hotmail account that time, thanks. You wouldn't happen to know (or anyone else for that matter) the name and grade of the crack to the right of Rob's Line, would you? I've only tried it once when it was wet and failed. If no one claims it I'm gonna snag the FA once the weather breaks. Thanks.

mushroomsamba

Feb 28, 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #27 of 79 (7313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while it might not be know yet, there are a few boulders in tyler state park along the creek next to the dam near the boat launch. If you look around near the water you can see almost 100 routes covered in chalk.

just to the left of the dam, a bouler with 10+ routes on it can be visible but it's only accseible durring dry times

dharmatreez

Feb 28, 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #28 of 79 (7309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mushroomsamba wrote:
...a few boulders in tyler state park along the creek next to the dam near the boat launch. If you look around near the water you can see almost 100 routes covered in chalk...

...just to the left of the dam, a bouler with 10+ routes on it can be visible but it's only accseible durring dry times

thanks mushroomsamba (my favortie episode of Cowboy Bebop, btw), i updated the original post and found this public usage map quickly

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/...tyler/tyler_mini.pdf

sounds like something to visit and add to the guide

jason

markc

Feb 28, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #29 of 79 (7306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
I am unsure of the access issues for Breakneck rocks. I encourage you to talk to Exkursion about that. The rumor I heard is that the 'standard' parking is on private ground. Then the normal path to the rocks is on private ground. However, the rocks are free game. The only things I can confirm is that there are no trespassing signs near the parking area and I never heard of anyone being thrown out.

Dan, what do you consider the 'standard' parking area at Breakneck? There seem to be two places that people use, the side of the road very close to the trailhead (labeled on Tim's map), and the area prior to that (the wide dirt 'lot' on the hillside to your right as you approach.

I've never had trouble parking off the side of the road. However, we did receive a note on the windshield when parked in the 'lot' area. It was pretty kind despite the words 'tow truck', but stressed the need to leave space for locals. We were the only people parked there at the start of the day. Just mentioning it FWIW.

Parking seems to be the only real issue, as most of the locals have been really friendly when we've bumped into them.

cintune

Feb 28, 2007, 5:18 PM
Post #30 of 79 (7301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boxcar] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of you might be Rob Holtzman, but if not it seems like he's someone to know: http://www.climbing.com/community/ari/pa/

dharmatreez

Feb 28, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #31 of 79 (7293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rob Holtzman's rc name is "roclimb" and he is a regional coordinator for the Access Fund, i believe he lives in the hershey area and would probably be able to help you guys with boxcar beta, i believe i remember some vandalism there (spray paint) last fall that he was trying to get a group to clean it up. if that still needs work, count me in

jason

eddietheteddie

Feb 28, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #32 of 79 (7282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Id talk to rob holtzman about that route, hes been climbing there much longer than I have. look on this link to the ari

http://www.climbing.com/community/ari/pa/

he bolted some routes their that I couldnt get any beta on, but im gonna email him today and find out, ill let you knw what I hear. Never heard what happened to the cleanup day at boxcar, had a couple friends ready to help, oh well.

Filer

Boxcar is a nasty climb when its wet all that nasty moss all over everything holds the water in for days.

(This post was edited by eddietheteddie on Feb 28, 2007, 7:24 PM)

microbarn

Feb 28, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #33 of 79 (7280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mark,
The standard area I was refering to was at the trailhead and is labeled on the map. There are definitely signs prior to arriving at the trailhead that say 'no trespassing'. Though, they could be meant for salesmen or such. I am glad you mentioned the note you received. This is the area I thought it was OK to park at.

So, from my standpoint, it seems as though parking is an issue at Breakneck. Maybe that one should be removed from the list until the parking is resolved.

eddietheteddie

Feb 28, 2007, 6:38 PM
Post #34 of 79 (7273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright so heres where things stand pending robs response

-Sent him a boxcar topo to correct/add unlisted routes(ie. ARI)

-Asked about graffiti removal and a posibble spring cleanup day

So assuming my email is actully working now he shuld get back to us soon.

markc

Feb 28, 2007, 6:53 PM
Post #35 of 79 (7259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
mark,
The standard area I was refering to was at the trailhead and is labeled on the map. There are definitely signs prior to arriving at the trailhead that say 'no trespassing'. Though, they could be meant for salesmen or such. I am glad you mentioned the note you received. This is the area I thought it was OK to park at.

So, from my standpoint, it seems as though parking is an issue at Breakneck. Maybe that one should be removed from the list until the parking is resolved.

I've parked in the outer area many times, and that was the first time I received any complaints. If it looks like it's filling up, I'd avoid it. I may just try to park well off the road in the standard spot. I haven't had any problems parking there.

As a general recommendation for anyone new to Breakneck, I'd suggest carpooling whenever possible. There's only room for a few cars in the pull-off area, and 4 - 5 in the outer area.

dharmatreez

Feb 28, 2007, 7:28 PM
Post #36 of 79 (7245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:

agreed, i was unable to verify that there is even PA State Game Lands at the rocks, SGL #51 is the land in the area around Connellsville and does not extend up to Breakneck, intially i thought it was a piece of land-locked public land, but know i have my doubts, so i'll remove it for now

microbarn

Feb 28, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #37 of 79 (7239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you seem to have checked your sources more thoroughly then I, but my rumor mill confirms it is NOT public land. I always heard it was something like a logging company that didn't mind climbers coming to the rocks.

dharmatreez

Feb 28, 2007, 7:39 PM
Post #38 of 79 (7237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while searching for Breakneck on the PASGL Map #51, there is a location marked called "Elk Rock", it is located just off of of a SGL Road.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/...=9&rgn=Southwest

directions from Dunbar would be:

take SR1055 south from Dunbar along Dunbar Creek and then Tucker Run until a left onto TR545

on TR545, you would want to turn left into the state game lands and up onto Chestnut Ridge on a SGL forest road (or jeep trail?) and the rocks would be a short distance along this road (presumably on the right between two tributary valleys on a point that feed down the ridge to the west Morgan Run)

is anyone familar with this area?

would this be the Elk Rocks that Tim has on his climbPA page?

if this is a climbing spot, then it is well situated on public land and should have no access issues with a SGL road (or jeep trail?) going right to it

jason

(This post was edited by dharmatreez on Feb 28, 2007, 7:55 PM)

microbarn

Feb 28, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #39 of 79 (7230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you probably wish I would stop responding since I can only confirm rumors on a lot of this stuff.

I don't have the same map you are looking at in front of me, but you seem to be describing the area I know Elk Rocks to exist at. I have never been to Elk Rocks so outside of knowing it is in the same general area as Dunbar, I am useless. Cow Rocks is supposed to be very close to Elk Rocks. I think I remember hearing they are essentially the same band of rocks, but with a long scramble between them. Evidently if you see them from the road they look like an almost continuous cliff.

I know that ALL of that area has tons of exposed rocks. Almost all of Tim's directions start from Dunbar. :)

I think you should probably add Rob's Knobs to your list of trad places. It is on the hill next to Lost Crag. I walked up there once as a beginner. The blocks were all free standing and there were only a FEW OLD bolts spread around the blocks. I think I remembering that there were enough routes too keep one busy though. I should make another trip up there now that I have a little bit of trad experience.

dharmatreez

Feb 28, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #40 of 79 (7227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
you probably wish I would stop responding since I can only confirm rumors on a lot of this stuff.

not at all, this is what i was hoping for to debunk myths and sort out what is and is not on public land

In reply to:
I don't have the same map you are looking at in front of me, but you seem to be describing the area I know Elk Rocks to exist at.

here is a link to the map, couldn't attach it, too big

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/...=9&rgn=Southwest

In reply to:
I think you should probably add Rob's Knobs to your list of trad places. It is on the hill next to Lost Crag. I walked up there once as a beginner. The blocks were all free standing and there were only a FEW OLD bolts spread around the blocks. I think I remembering that there were enough routes too keep one busy though. I should make another trip up there now that I have a little bit of trad experience.

thanks, when i finally get a chance to visit Lost Crag, i'll check this area out and determine land usage

jason

chalker7

Feb 28, 2007, 8:03 PM
Post #41 of 79 (7225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good Good. Let me know what you find out Filer.

dharmatreez

Mar 4, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #42 of 79 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OP edited to add Castle Rock at Ravensburg State Park, Mifflinburg, PA

jason

dharmatreez

Mar 8, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #43 of 79 (7152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OP edited to add Trough Creek State Park at Raystown Lake

has anyone climbed here?

a winter backpacking trip on the Terrace Mountain Trail took me thru here a few years ago. there is a large overlook with large boulders around the "Balanced Rock"

jason

roclimb

Mar 11, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #44 of 79 (7125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eddietheeddie,

Just saw this post. My e-mail is not working at the moment, could you resend the contents of the e-mail in a PM here?

To answer the questions in this post above about Boxcar:

There are new anchors above the Whale formation, a new set right of that that were spray-painted over by someone, another set just right of that that replaced an old set near ther ethat were hacked off a few years back. There are two more sets down at the left end of the main cliff near Russells Ruin--the crack--and Autumns Child. Farther down the outcrop there is a new set of anchors also; about 1/2 mile past the main outcrop.

The game comission didn't want the cleanup during hunting season, so I bagged the idea for Nov thru winter. I would like to have one this spring once it gets warmer. Anyone interested? Any month better or worse?

~RobCool

dharmatreez

Mar 12, 2007, 11:04 PM
Post #45 of 79 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roclimb wrote:

... I would like to have one this spring once it gets warmer. Anyone interested? Any month better or worse?

~RobCool

count me in

after the end of may is good for me, i'm done with spring trail maintenance then and my weekends become flexible, but that is just me, i'm sure i can squeeze it in earlier if that's when it works out

btw, is there a method you decided on for the graffiti clean up?

any tools and gear that you still might be looking for, let me know, i can see what i can dig up from my stash or borrow from a trail club

be in touch

happy trails and safe climbing

jason

eddietheteddie

Mar 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #46 of 79 (7093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Id be up for a cleanup also, whenever works for me. Tried to PM the topo to you but its to big, PM me a different email acount of yours and ill get it to you. If you could marks any unlisted routes that would be great, and all bolts. The routes i have are the ones listed here on rc.com, the ones you bolted with the ARI i couldnt find any info on.

jkarns

Mar 15, 2007, 6:53 PM
Post #47 of 79 (7074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmmm... Interesting. I was unaware of rocks at Tyler State Park. Anyone have more info? Are they diabase?

dharmatreez

Mar 19, 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #48 of 79 (7041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkarns] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OP edited to add...

two areas on the AT around the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary - The Pulpit and Pinnacle Rocks

happy trails and safe climbing this spring!

jason

truello

Mar 26, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #49 of 79 (7018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lost Crag Coordinate: 39.919033, -79.581700 (2062 ft. elevation)

eddietheteddie

Mar 26, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #50 of 79 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Climbing on Public Land in Pennsylvania [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

while not on public land i did see a nice cliff down past chickies. It was on the left while driving on 441 south from chickies. It was the largest of several. Its not Safe harbor or sex wall (that im aware of, theve been closed so long ive never been to either, but going off of all descriptions of the two), its right behind a house just off the road. Anyone see this place before, or any info on it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook