Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

imakehits

Jan 24, 2008, 5:08 PM
Post #1 of 27 (2009 views)
Shortcut

Quickdraw Concepts/Theory
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got a couple of questions about quickdraws, and really wanting to understand the 'why' part of how quickdraws are setup. I did search the forums, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I was off to tackle my first lead last weekend, and needed quickdraws, so I read the forum, and blindly (and possibly ignorantly) went to REI and bought some BD nylon bones, some hotwires, and some quicksilver straight gates. I wish I would have understood more, because I made some stupid purchases also, like BD QS bent gates, nuetrinos, and DOVALs. Stupid only that I didn't have what I needed to make all the draws useful.

So the questions... I understand that some of this is purely subjective, and some may relate only to weight issues.

• Why does the Straight gate go to the bolt side and bent and/or wire go to rope? (why should a bent not go to the bolt side)

• What advantages does the wire gate provide over a bent gate? Easier to clip? Lighter?

• Why is ok to use wire gates on both sides? Doesn't that stand to reason that you could use bent gates on both sides, or ovals on both sides?

I guess what I'm looking for is a little more theory behind the uses of each biner type.

Any input would be much appreciated.

~mt

Tree_wrangler

Jan 24, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 27 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imakehits] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The bent gates are designed to make it easier for you to push the rope into the basket.

Wire gates are lighter. They have the same advantage as a bent-gate, in that it is easier to trap the rope in there one-handed. Many (I don't review them all) are stronger than regular bent-gates.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use bent-gates on bolts. Don't really know. Bent-gates are usually a buck or two more than straights, so that might be the reason that straights are still part of the system.

Yes, you can definitely use ovals, D's, lockers, for the rope-end of the quickdraw. But, they're a little more difficult to clip one-handed. You'll see. You'll want those bent-gates or wire-gates.

ja1484

Jan 24, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #3 of 27 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Christ.

Ok, for the millionth time:

- Bent gate carabiners do not belong on the bolt or gear end of a quickdraw because they are much more prone to being wedged against said bolt/gear and thus opening themselves than straight gate or wire gate carabiners.

- Wire gates offer lighter carabiners with typically no loss of strength. Most people find them easier to clip as well, although this obviously varies per person.

- Edited for Placation of Jay: Oval carabiners could be used on both ends of a draw in some situations, but this is not optimal and in many situations may be dangerous. This is due to the fact that oval carabiners are weaker overall than other models. It is suggested that you seek alternatives, such as asymmetrical D carabiners.

Wiregates on both sides is basically testament to the fact that, despite answer #1, any carabiner snagging on bolts/gear and unclipping itself on the draw end is incredibly unlikely.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jan 24, 2008, 10:28 PM)

jt512

Jan 24, 2008, 5:53 PM
Post #4 of 27 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
- There's no problem with ovals on both sides, other than that they're much weaker...

"Other than they're much weaker!" That's a hell of a problem.

Ovals can have as little as 6 kN open-gate strength, which is clearly too little for any biner that one might take lead fall onto (see the recent thread about the broken biner accident). Good sport climbing biners have at least 9 kN open-gate strength. Some have 10 kN.

Jay

ccarver99

Jan 24, 2008, 6:02 PM
Post #5 of 27 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
Christ.

Okay...was that really necessary? Like it was really that much of an inconvenience for you to explain it to help the guy out, especially since you didn't even have to respond to his post in the first place.

jt512

Jan 24, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #6 of 27 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imakehits wrote:
• Why does the Straight gate go to the bolt side and bent and/or wire go to rope?

Bent gates catch things, like ropes and bolt heads, easier. That's why the bent gate goes on the rope end and not on the bolt end.

In reply to:
• What advantages does the wire gate provide over a bent gate? Easier to clip? Lighter?

The main advantage of a wire gate for sport climbing is that the gate, having less mass, is less prone to "gate flutter" (don't ask, search) during a fall, so the biner is less likely to hold a fall in its weaker open-gate configuration.
l
In reply to:
• Why is ok to use wire gates on both sides?

In my opinion it is not. Wire gates are more likely to catch on a bolt head than a conventional gate.

In reply to:
Doesn't that stand to reason that you could use bent gates on both sides, or ovals on both sides?

No. Let's apply a little elementary logic. Why would the fact that you can use certain types of biners on both ends of your draw imply that you can use any type of biner on both ends of your draw?

Jay

petsfed

Jan 24, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #7 of 27 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
- Bent gate carabiners do not belong on the bolt or gear end of a quickdraw because they are much more prone to being wedged against said bolt/gear and thus opening themselves than straight gate or wire gate carabiners.
Or more succinctly, bent gates are designed to open easily when pressure is applied to the gate. You might not want that on the bolt end where there's a lot more around to press on the gate.

In reply to:
- Wire gates offer lighter carabiners with typically no loss of strength. Most people find them easier to clip as well, although this obviously varies per person.
They also cut down on gate flutter during a fall (that is, the tendency for the gate to flutter open and shut due to small movements of the carabiner) so its less likely to be in an open (and thus weaker) configuration when you fall.

In reply to:
- There's no problem with ovals on both sides, other than that they're much weaker than asymmetrical D carabiners. Wiregates on both sides is basically testament to the fact that, despite answer #1, any carabiner snagging on bolts/gear and unclipping itself on the draw end is incredibly unlikely.
First, you may call it unlikely, but I've seen it happen so many times (and often in the strangest of situations) that its a legitimate concern. Second, Jay's criticism of ovals for lead protection basically says all that needs said.

Partner rgold

Jan 24, 2008, 6:48 PM
Post #8 of 27 (1852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gate flutter has been mentioned as a problem that wire gates help to solve, but it is important to understand that there is another much less mysterious phenomenon.

Gate flutter refers to something that has been observed in high-speed video of a dynamcially loaded carabiner. Vibrations are set up that cause the gate to "flutter," possibly enough to come free of the latch and so put the biner into gate-open mode.

An analogous inertia phenomenon happens if the biner happens to smack into something during the fall. The gate will bounce and the biner will momentarily have an open gate. You can simulate this bounce quite easily by just smacking a biner against your open palm. With a solid gate, you'll be able to hear the click at the end of the gate bounce. A wire gate has less mass and so will bounce much less, hopefully thereby preserving the gate-closed strength of the biner.

The reason wire gates are recommended on the rope end of draws is primarily to ameliorate the gate bounce phenomenon that might occur if the rope-end biner hits something. But it also seems to be the case that the vibrations involved in gate flutter are a byproduct of the rope running over the biner and are not transmitted by the sling to the bolt end biner. Thus, both types of fall-impact gate displacement seem to occur to the rope-end biner, and a wire gate will lessen the chance that you'll be falling on an open-gate biner. Of course, there's no harm in using a wire gate on both ends.

There is no question that a gate-open biner can break under ordinary peak fall forces, especially low down on the climb when there isn't much rope out yet. Moreover, the conditions that potentially give rise to an open gate are not extremely rare, and so it is unusual perhaps, but not astounding, to hear about a biner breaking under an ordinary fall impact.

imakehits

Jan 24, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #9 of 27 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice! Thanks everyone, some very useful information. I'm sure a lot of this had been covered before, but its nice, at least for me, to see it all in one place.

I figured there are some good arguments for/against using wiregates on both ends. I also flipped through a couple of Climbing mags when I was researching and noticed that most of the draws pictured had no wiregates at all. Most of them had Bent on rope, Straight on bolt.

I have a much better understanding of what I need to get to make my draws complete.

RGold - thanks for the physics info, it helps me understand the mechanics and forces that are applied. Would be sweet to actually see some high-speed camera footage of gate flutter and what happens to the draw during a fall.

~mt

forkliftdaddy

Jan 24, 2008, 7:45 PM
Post #10 of 27 (1781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
The reason wire gates are recommended on the rope end of draws is primarily to ameliorate the gate bounce phenomenon that might occur if the rope-end biner hits something.

Gneiss $5 word! Smile

ja1484

Jan 24, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #11 of 27 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ccarver99 wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
Christ.

Okay...was that really necessary? Like it was really that much of an inconvenience for you to explain it to help the guy out, especially since you didn't even have to respond to his post in the first place.

Welcome to the internet. You must be new here.

Oh, and I fucked your mom.

jt512 wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
- There's no problem with ovals on both sides, other than that they're much weaker...

Ovals can have as little as 6 kN open-gate strength, which is clearly too little for any biner that one might take lead fall onto (see the recent thread about the broken biner accident). Good sport climbing biners have at least 9 kN open-gate strength. Some have 10 kN.

Jay

I agree that stronger is generally preferable, but I think it comes down to personal envelope of risk. Ovals are highly unlikely to fail, but asymm-Ds are less likely still. How much is one willing to gamble? Old-schoolers climbed and led (the leader must not fall) over ovals for ages with accident rates that, AFAIK, were at lower levels than present day. I think the big present-day drive towards best best best, at least on this forum, is equal parts new knowledge, idealism, and new-age safety neuroticism.

As far as your statement above, you're preaching to the choir. I don't lead above ovals -hell, I don't really use them for anything but racking and bailing - but it's his neck and he can make his own decisions...at least now he knows.

petsfed wrote:
In reply to:

They also cut down on gate flutter during a fall (that is, the tendency for the gate to flutter open and shut due to small movements of the carabiner) so its less likely to be in an open (and thus weaker) configuration when you fall.

Which is an excellent point I forgot to mention.

In reply to:
First, you may call it unlikely, but I've seen it happen so many times (and often in the strangest of situations) that its a legitimate concern.

A lot of things in this sport are legitimate concerns. The key question is which is most legitimate at this particular moment.

imakehits wrote:
I figured there are some good arguments for/against using wiregates on both ends.

You'll find that in climbing, there are a lot of good arguments for and against pretty much everything, which is why I recommend experience with a competent partner and/or guide over all else.

Don't listen to this place too hard, or take it too seriously. Your own research is going to give you the most benefit.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jan 24, 2008, 7:55 PM)

jt512

Jan 24, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #12 of 27 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ja1484 wrote:

Jay

I agree that stronger is generally preferable, but I think it comes down to personal envelope of risk.

No, it has nothing to do with "personable envelope of risk." There is no rational reason to use 6-kN carabiners in your quickdraws. It is increasing risk with no offsetting benefit.

In reply to:
Ovals are highly unlikely to fail, but asymm-Ds are less likely still.

I've said this over and over again: It is a mistake to think of gear failure in probabilistic terms. For all intents and purposes, a piece of gear will break with certainty if its breaking strength is exceeded and will not break (with certainty) if its breaking strength is not exceeded. Biners get loaded with gates open a lot. One would expect that a fall above the first bolt of a sport would generate a force at the bolt exceeding the open-gate breaking strength of a typical oval biner. Therefore, oval biners are not suitable for use in quickdraws. They are not intended for use in quickdraws, and no quickdraw manufacturer that I am aware of sells quickdraws assembled with oval biners.

In reply to:
How much is one willing to gamble?

That isn't the question! What the hell is the point of gambling on something like this? Who in his right mind intentionally uses non-standard inferior climbing gear for the sole purpose of adding risk to a climb -- especially a sport climb!

In reply to:
I don't lead above ovals -hell, I don't really use them for anything but racking and bailing

Emphasis added for the benefit of the OP.

In reply to:
...but it's his neck and he can make his own decisions...at least now he knows.t benefit.

I don't think that he knows much at this point at all, and worse yet, he now thinks he does. I doubt that he's searched for the thread about the biner failure that was posted a few days ago. I doubt that he understands that the most important criterion in a carabiner is its open gate strength. The disadvantages of using wiregates on the bolt end of the draw have either not been emphasized or not mentioned. And so on.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 24, 2008, 8:36 PM)

rosco22

Jan 24, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #13 of 27 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This may be off topic slightly, but why is there even question on this? It seems the simple, bottom line solution would be to buy strong, properly designed quickdraws, instead of trying to make your own. My understanding behind companies offering dog-bones in the first place, is that they wear faster than carabiners and hence have legitimate reason to be replaced, not so that you can happily mix and match your favorite colored carabiner with your favorite brand's dog bone.

There is little to no monetary benefit in creating your own quickdraws. We are talking about a couple of bucks difference, and if you are serious about climbing you're going to end up spending a small fortune anyways. Nothing in climbing is collectively cheap.

I understand the reason for asking questions about why we use certain things, but ask yourself the reason behind not just buying super strong, manufactured quickdraws and using them for their intended purpose. It just doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

ja1484

Jan 24, 2008, 9:24 PM
Post #14 of 27 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
No, it has nothing to do with "personable envelope of risk." There is no rational reason to use 6-kN carabiners in your quickdraws. It is increasing risk with no offsetting benefit.

Well, how do you want to define benefit? Say someone has ovals laying around and wants to use them rather than buying new gear?

You could make the very valid argument that it's stupid to increase the risk level to save a few bucks, but again, that's not our decision to make for him.

In reply to:
I've said this over and over again: It is a mistake to think of gear failure in probabilistic terms. For all intents and purposes, a piece of gear will break with certainty if its breaking strength is exceeded and will not break (with certainty) if its breaking strength is not exceeded.

Easy to say, impossible to do. Your breaking strengths example makes the issue look simple, which it isn't. There are a million and one factors that go into how and why a carabiner is loaded. You have two ifs in your statement above: if it's loaded past breaking strength, and if it's not.

You're the statistician, so what are the odds of each on a given fall?

You can think about the sport in whatever terms makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but the fact that it's gambling is objective truth not subject to opinion. 'Course, you can say that about life...

In reply to:
Biners get loaded with gates open a lot. One would expect that a fall above the first bolt of a sport would generate a force at the bolt exceeding the open-gate breaking strength of a typical oval biner. Therefore, oval biners are not suitable for use in quickdraws. They are not intended for use in quickdraws, and no quickdraw manufacturer that I am aware of sells quickdraws assembled with oval biners.

I'd agree with all that, excepting that what's suitable when is a personal decision. Some folks out there like to solo, I hear.

Would you rather have a draw with ovals 10 feet below you on the chance it might hold, or be risking a ledge fall?

Again, all things relative.

In reply to:
That isn't the question! What the hell is the point of gambling on something like this? Who in his right mind intentionally uses non-standard inferior climbing gear for the sole purpose of adding risk to a climb -- especially a sport climb!

I think we're discussing two different contexts here. You're looking at the issue very specifically. I'm looking at it very generally.

I've used a makeshift draw composed of a sling and two ovals before. It wasn't preferable, but it got the job done. "Ideal" and "actual" are different contexts, which has kind of been my point all along.

In reply to:
I don't think that he knows much at this point at all, and worse yet, he now thinks he does. I doubt that he's searched for the thread about the biner failure that was posted a few days ago. I doubt that he understands that the most important criterion in a carabiner is its open gate strength. The disadvantages of using wiregates on the bolt end of the draw have either not been emphasized or not mentioned. And so on.

Right. Which means he shouldn't be using quickdraws period, no matter the type. But I guess that's another discussion...
Jay

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jan 24, 2008, 9:26 PM)

jt512

Jan 24, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #15 of 27 (1630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Well, how do you want to define benefit? Say someone has ovals laying around and wants to use them rather than buying new gear?

You could make the very valid argument that it's stupid to increase the risk level to save a few bucks, but again, that's not our decision to make for him.

I agree with that. Benefit is subjective and willingness to assume risk is personal.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've said this over and over again: It is a mistake to think of gear failure in probabilistic terms. For all intents and purposes, a piece of gear will break with certainty if its breaking strength is exceeded and will not break (with certainty) if its breaking strength is not exceeded.

Easy to say, impossible to do. Your breaking strengths example makes the issue look simple, which it isn't. There are a million and one factors that go into how and why a carabiner is loaded. You have two ifs in your statement above: if it's loaded past breaking strength, and if it's not.

You're the statistician, so what are the odds of each on a given fall?

I already said. No probabilities should be considered. It should be considered deterministic. We're talking Newtonian mechanics, not quantum mechanics. After 4 weeks of high school physics one should be able to calculate that the force of a fall before clipping the 2nd bolt of a typical sport climb with a static belay will exceed 6 kN. That's it. Done.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Biners get loaded with gates open a lot. One would expect that a fall above the first bolt of a sport would generate a force at the bolt exceeding the open-gate breaking strength of a typical oval biner. Therefore, oval biners are not suitable for use in quickdraws. They are not intended for use in quickdraws, and no quickdraw manufacturer that I am aware of sells quickdraws assembled with oval biners.

I'd agree with all that, excepting that what's suitable when is a personal decision. Some folks out there like to solo, I hear.

That has nothing to do with the decision of what gear to buy for sport climbing. Please drop this line of reasoning. It is too ridiculous to continue replying to.

In reply to:
Would you rather have a draw with ovals 10 feet below you on the chance it might hold, or be risking a ledge fall?

That question is irrelevant. The relevant question is whether I want a 6 kN biner below me or a 10 kN biner.

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think we're discussing two different contexts here. You're looking at the issue very specifically. I'm looking at it very generally.

I'm looking at the question in the OP's context.

Jay

hafilax

Jan 24, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #16 of 27 (1628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of other quickdraw guidelines that I don't think have been mentioned:

Repeated falls onto a bolt will roughen the surface of the biner. This can wear on the rope if you turn the quickdraw around. Probably not a big deal in the end but it's nice to minimize wear on the rope.

Most dogbones have a loose pocket and a pocket that holds the biner in one orientation. The loose end goes on the bolt. This allows the hanger biner to hang down minimizing the chance of it getting pulled so that the gate is opened by the bolt. The fixed rope end makes clipping easier.

What, no debate over gates in the same vs. opposite direction? Wink

ja1484

Jan 24, 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #17 of 27 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I already said. No probabilities should be considered. It should be considered deterministic. We're talking Newtonian mechanics, not quantum mechanics. After 4 weeks of high school physics one should be able to calculate that the force of a fall before clipping the 2nd bolt of a typical sport climb with a static belay will exceed 6 kN. That's it. Done.

Note the use of qualifiers: Typical sport climb, static belay. What about dynamic belay? What about an atypical sport climb?

Look, I agree with you in spirit - that there are better options than what the OP suggested for the purpose he's asking about. I'm just saying that these types of decisions really need to be made onsite, in action. That's all.

Anyhoo, in an effort to put this to rest, I've edited my original post to be more clear on the subject. I hope this allows you to sleep soundly tonight.

In reply to:
That has nothing to do with the decision of what gear to buy for sport climbing. Please drop this line of reasoning. It is too ridiculous to continue replying to.

What's suitable being a personal decision has nothing to do with gear purchase?

In reply to:
That question is irrelevant. The relevant question is whether I want a 6 kN biner below me or a 10 kN biner.

I'd rephrase to "Am I willing to risk a 6kN biner below me?"

In reply to:
I'm looking at the question in the OP's context.

More the implications, i.e. he's asking questions about gear, so most of the discussion is about what's best for the job, which is all well and good. But he asked, in part, about ovals on both ends of a draw, and why couldn't you use that.

Well, in some situations, you could, and in others, many others, it's definitely a bottom-of-the-barrel choice. I didn't see him mention specifically that he was going to use all this gear for sport climbing only (although there are allusions, and the odds are good considering that's how most people break into the sport), so I just put the pro/con out there for Ovals - namely that they work for most applications but are substantially weaker than Asymm Ds or Ds, and I hope that would be considered by default depending on usage.

hafilax wrote:
Repeated falls onto a bolt will roughen the surface of the biner. This can wear on the rope if you turn the quickdraw around. Probably not a big deal in the end but it's nice to minimize wear on the rope.

Agreed, and even more worrisome, sometimes repeated falls onto a single bolt-end biner can cause more than just rough surfaces, but even sharp edges.

For this reason among others, it's a good idea to have dedicated bolt/gear end biners, dedicated rope end biners, and general use biners (that you inspect regularly, as you should with all your gear) for whatever needs doing.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jan 24, 2008, 10:29 PM)

jt512

Jan 24, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #18 of 27 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Note the use of qualifiers: Typical sport climb, static belay. What about dynamic belay? What about an atypical sport climb?

None of it is relevant. It would be insane to buy quickdraws that are only strong enough to withstand a fall on a route with unusually close bolt spacing that is dynamically belayed. Can we stop this ridiculous argument now?

In reply to:
Look, I agree with you in spirit - that there are better options than what the OP suggested for the purpose he's asking about. I'm just saying that these types of decisions really need to be made onsite, in action.

No they don't. The type of quickdraw to buy is a decision you make sitting in the comfort of your home.

Anyhoo, in an effort to put this to rest, I've edited my original post to be more clear on the subject. I hope this allows you to sleep soundly tonight.

In reply to:
In reply to:

What's suitable being a personal decision has nothing to do with gear purchase?

Straw man. Try quoting the part of your post I was actually referring to.

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'd rephrase to "Am I willing to risk a 6kN biner below me?"

You've gotten to a point in your arguments where a lot of internet arguments go wrong: you've stopped quoting enough material to make the debate comprehensible. I'm not going to go back and piece together the conversation that led to this point; that's your job to do when you decide what parts of the conversation to quote.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 24, 2008, 11:43 PM)

caughtinside

Jan 25, 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #19 of 27 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since this has turned into a discussion about ovals on draws, I thought I'd chime in with this.

There is a norcal crag, where nearly every draw is fixed. Often, not with a typical sport draw, but with a quicklink, a couple feet of old rope, and a biner.

These biners have all been contributed by climbers who frequent the area over the years. Interestingly, the majority of them are ovals!

It has even been noted that the ovals tend to be the longest lasting type of biner on these routes, whether it is because there is no defined basket like on a D or because they're a thicker bar stock I don't know.

But there you go. Most routes fixed with ovals. Not one of those routes is under .12b.

Of course, it seems to me that you're much less likely to have open gate loading, since the biners are at the end of two feet or more of rope on a very steep overhang (meaning it is very unlikely they will strike the rock when loaded.)

Food for thought.

ja1484

Jan 25, 2008, 1:03 AM
Post #20 of 27 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting indeed.

gunkiemike

Jan 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #21 of 27 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imakehits wrote:
I got a couple of questions about quickdraws, and really wanting to understand the 'why' part of how quickdraws are setup. I did search the forums, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I was off to tackle my first lead last weekend, and needed quickdraws, so I read the forum, and blindly (and possibly ignorantly) went to REI and bought some BD nylon bones, some hotwires, and some quicksilver straight gates. I wish I would have understood more, because I made some stupid purchases also, like BD QS bent gates, nuetrinos, and DOVALs. Stupid only that I didn't have what I needed to make all the draws useful.

First of all, you CAN use a draw made with Dovals (7 kN open gate), but keep in mind all the stuff said above about why this isn't optimum. People DID climb before there were UIAA rating on biners.

Secondly, this is YOUR FIRST LEAD. If you're falling, then IMO something is wrong. Your first leads should be dick-easy and you shouldn't be falling. (Note - this in no way ameliorates the open gate issue. I think it is much more significant a concern however. No one should be falling on their FIRST LEAD.)

If the day is a success, reward yourself by upgrading your draws. Chalk it up to learning the "Buy nice or buy twice" lesson.

Partner rgold

Jan 25, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #22 of 27 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mike, that's one of my $5 words! $5 as in Licensing fee, bro. And there's a 20% surcharge for boldface. I'll be expecting your check in the mail.

R.

Valarc

Jan 25, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #23 of 27 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rosco22] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rosco22 wrote:
This may be off topic slightly, but why is there even question on this? It seems the simple, bottom line solution would be to buy strong, properly designed quickdraws, instead of trying to make your own.

I really like Helium snagless wiregate biners. I mean, I really really like them - they are the best-feeling rope-end 'biner I've ever used. However, as Jay pointed out, there are potential problems with putting a wiregate on the bolt end of a draw. And since the Helium draw is only sold with a pair of helium biners, if I want a draw with a solid gate on the bolt end and a Helium on the rope end, I'm left to make my own. There are other reasons to make up some of your own draws as well, such as making a couple of locking draws for those "this clip ABSOLUTELY cannot fail" situations.

For a first time out, I would probably buy pre-assembled draws, and I did exactly this, buying a set of BD draws. I still use them, but my custom helium draws get used first, and the BD are the ones I'm more likely to loan out to others.

chossmonkey

Jan 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
Post #24 of 27 (1230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imakehits wrote:
• Why is ok to use wire gates on both sides? Doesn't that stand to reason that you could use bent gates on both sides, or ovals on both sides?
Ovals can unclip from a bolt much easier.

CaptainPolution

Jan 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #25 of 27 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Quickdraw Concepts/Theory [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jesus fucking chist. wire gates awre lesss prone to opening up on jte rope sife versus soid gates becuse teh wiegh less!! sarch they subject adndyou aill getan answer and I wont have to reply dunk to shit shit@ FUCKING A!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook