Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Adirondack Best Bets
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tshimkus

May 5, 2008, 5:48 AM
Post #1 of 11 (7279 views)
Shortcut

Adirondack Best Bets  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Adirondack_park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am visiting family in the area in mid-May and would like to know where to go if I were only to spend a day or two climbing. I am looking for the quintessential Adirondack climb.

Open to trad or sport lines up to 5.8 IV.

sbaclimber

May 5, 2008, 7:39 AM
Post #2 of 11 (7267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tshimkus] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head to Keene Valley, and take your pick of routes. If you want long slab lines, Thanksgiving, Empress and the Regular Route on Chapel Pond Slab are all classics. Plus, if you are coming in off the Northway, it is one of the closest/quickest places to access. If you want shorter lines, then the Beer Walls and Spider's Web both have a bunch of classics (e.g. Frosted Mug or Labatt Ami @ the Beer Walls). If you have a second day, then you should probably head up to Poko, just be aware that most routes will be closed due to Peregrine nesting: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7870.html

onceahardman

May 5, 2008, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 11 (7229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of 5.8 in the dacks, not much grade IV.

There is a tremendous, and very comprehensive, new guidebook:

http://adirondackrock.com

To me, "quintessential" in the 'dacks means multi pitch, so avoid the popular beer walls, although they are very convenient.

Keene Valley:

Washbowl cliff: Partition 5.8, Hesitation, also 5.8. Do the "butterflies are free" handcrack start to partition 8+/9, but very well protected. Also, the old "weissner route" is a mega classic at 5.5. Hesitation would be an excellent choice for a "quintessential" dacks route.

Tillman's Arete, 5.7, sparsely bolted, popular with guides, easy access. Dries quickly after a rain.

Mr Roger's neighborhood 5.8, easiest route at the Spider's web.

Empress 800' 5.5 slab, runouts to 120', but pretty secure climbing, no sandbag from me.

Keene:

Quadrophenia 5.8, Hurricane crag EDIT: 20 min. approach, pretty well off the road, 4 distinct and varied pitches, a good choice for "quintessential"

Pete's farewell 5.7 Pitchoff chimey cliff

The El, 5.8, pitchoff chimney cliff.

Pok-o: Best cliff in the dacks, similar in size and scope to cathedral ledge in NH:

Gamesmanship:4-5 pitches, 5.8

Many many more routes here, most harder, I'll stay within your desired 5.8.

Good Luck!, please do a trip report! Oh, yeah, mid May? bring good quality insect repellent, and maybe a headnet for belays! The blackflies are famous.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on May 5, 2008, 3:23 PM)

sbaclimber

May 5, 2008, 3:37 PM
Post #4 of 11 (7219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Washbowl cliff: Partition 5.8, Hesitation, also 5.8. Do the "butterflies are free" handcrack start to partition 8+/9, but very well protected. Also, the old "weissner route" is a mega classic at 5.5. Hesitation would be an excellent choice for a "quintessential" dacks route.
Washbowl is unfortunately one of the areas that are closed in May Frown
PS, as well as Gamesmanship on Poko...

onceahardman wrote:
Oh, yeah, mid May? bring good quality insect repellent, and maybe a headnet for belays! The blackflies are famous.
Good call, how could I forget the blackflies!?

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on May 5, 2008, 3:53 PM)

Gmburns2000

May 5, 2008, 3:43 PM
Post #5 of 11 (7213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have to second Gamesmanship. First two pitches are fantastic!

Also check out the area around Paralysis at Poke-O while you're there. Some good moderate routes are right there, and Paralysis in particular has one of the most exciting traverses I've ever done (the third pitch that goes under the roof, not the second pitch, but P1 is also pretty fun).

Beer Walls was fun, but it's popular. I thoroughly enjoyed Barkeater Cliffs, too. Some great single pitch moderate stuff if you want to get your crack on (Mr. Clean is a fantastic route, and Fun City was interesting enough for me to want to do it agan someday). Plus, when I went to Barkeater, there was no one there.

onceahardman

May 5, 2008, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 11 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Washbowl is unfortunately one of the areas that are closed in May
PS, as well as Gamesmanship on Poko...

Yeah, sometimes the closures are inconvenient, but some years they only close the lower washbowls, and the big Washbowl cliff stays open.

It's all worth it when you hear the falcons screaming, and see them flying around.

To the OP: this might be more reason to look up Hurricane Crag, on Rte 9N between Keene and Elizabethtown. Highly recommend "Quadrophenia".

It is not a popular cliff with "outsiders", you'll probably have privacy, not a loooong approach, but certainly not roadside.

jmeizis

May 5, 2008, 6:58 PM
Post #7 of 11 (7165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely try and hit Poko if you can. There are lots of great lines Try The Sting as an alternate start to Gamesmanship (hard 5.8). Pillar is another good one. Paralysis is fun, make sure to head left of the block on the last pitch, don't get sucked into the ramp (The overhang goes). Snake Slide is a nice single pitch route.

Beer walls are nice single pitch routes. Hit Rockaholics, Pegasus and the other ones suggested are good as well.

Barkeater cliffs are awesome, all single pitch but some great crack climbs and face climbs and usually not crowded.

Keene Valley in general the place to be if you want to get a lot done without a lot of driving around.

When I think quintessential I think of Poko or Keene Valley.

onceahardman

May 5, 2008, 8:02 PM
Post #8 of 11 (7149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I just checked the peregrine closures. Bummer about most of pok-o, and Washbowl.

You could still do chapel pond slab, tillman's, and the chapel pond gully routes (these are kind of obscure, but nearby).

Hurricane crag is open, and Pitchoff chimney cliff is really good, but close to the road. Barkeater might be a good bet if you are looking for solitude, and the approach is pretty flat.

Of course, you could always do the "high commitment" thing, and do the Diagonal on Wallface. That would really be quintessential...about 4.5 miles from the road.

cfnubbler

May 5, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #9 of 11 (7135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The upper tiers at Poko are open, and home to some absolutely fantastic routes....

jimlawyer

May 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #10 of 11 (7100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All good suggestions...can't go wrong with those.

Another idea -- go here:

http://www.adirondackrock.com/goodies/IndexByGrade.pdf

Look at the 5.8 grade, and pick out the routes with lots of stars.

Oh yeah...buy the book Smile

Watch the DEC web site...Poke-O will open as soon as the peregrines commit to a nest. Any day now...

Adk

May 5, 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #11 of 11 (7092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimlawyer] Adirondack Best Bets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jim.

When will you be in New Paltz for the book signing?
Rock and Snow if I remember correctly??
Dave

(This post was edited by Adk on May 5, 2008, 11:49 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook