RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

redzit

Nov 1, 2002, 10:14 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Why don't we ditch the post count?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's my Idea. If this was mentioned some where before forgive me, but I don't wanna read through a bund of pages to check.
If we get rid of the post count then no one will have any reason to post other then to be helpful, funny, and will not spew the smelly stuff. Think about it. A lot of the dumb, pointless posts are done to drive up the post count. So we take it away and take away the motivation.
Why do we need the post count anyways? I don't pay attention to it, does anyone?

Any hoot, what are your thoughts, is no post count a good idea
-K

thomasribiere

Nov 1, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Why don't we ditch the post count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It could be a good idea.
But we would loose the "Rank titles" (I like them) and the number of posts can be an indication for the "site experience" of the person sending a message, which is not without interest.

pupjr

Nov 1, 2002, 11:10 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well why aren't we able to just chose our own titles? I mean i love bouldering, so i wouldn't mind just staying at the boulderer rank. if you think it's cool to be a onesight stud(ette) then fine, pick that. If that idea doesn't tickle your pickle. then why not just have the ranks only conicide with how long you've been a member. I don't think we'll ever get rid of the BS, or the smart comments that are always said. just have to hope that it's all kept to a minimum. heck, this is probably just as pointless spewing as a lot of other posts.

climberchic

Nov 2, 2002, 12:07 AM
Post #4 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the idea of being able to shoes our own titles, too.

It was brought up that posts in community would not count towards the whole post count for each user. This may cut down on a lot of the useless posts and threads.

Does that sound like it would help?

wildtrail

Nov 2, 2002, 12:34 AM
Post #5 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the big deal? I like the post count. Oh, Please! Don't get rid of it before I hit 5,000. I'm so close.
<----

kriso9tails

Nov 2, 2002, 12:38 AM
Post #6 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right when you hit 4999 you just know that the post count is goin to be abolished.

Partner jules

Nov 2, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #7 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:It was brought up that posts in community would not count towards the whole post count for each user. This may cut down on a lot of the useless posts and threads.

No. Then the "useless posts and threads" would be posted outside community.

If we want this to be an informative site and a good resource, useless posts are counterproductive. If we aren't going to care, then hell, it doesn't matter. I tend to think the latter is our goal.

Post counts don't need to be eliminated, just deemphasized... only display them in profiles, for example, and take the "top ten posters" thing down. If you make it look like a competition, people will compete.

jds100

Nov 2, 2002, 5:32 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Part of the Moderator duties is to keep the Fourms organized. If someone consistently posts to the wrong Forum(s), they can be reminded of the guidelines in a PM.

beyond_gravity

Nov 2, 2002, 6:01 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no post count competition, and if there is, it's between me and wildtrail.

Niether of us really care about being ahead of each other, it's just all in good fun.

There is no reason to get rid of it. It's kinnda a cool feature, just so we know how much time I waste here.

I dont know why you are complaining. No one is going to flame you for having a low post count, and if you post productivly, no one will flame you about having a high post count. (of course, this is not the case with me)

So it's your damn fault if you get flamed

beyond_gravity

Nov 2, 2002, 6:04 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
If we get rid of the post count then no one will have any reason to post other then to be helpful, funny, and will not spew the smelly stuff. Think about it. A lot of the dumb, pointless posts are done to drive up the post count. So we take it away and take away the motivation.

WRONG.

That only happens in the least productive of the threads in the Comminity forum, such as the Free Word Association. Stupid posts happen because people are bored and there is nothing interesting happening. Could you imagine every post being informative? it would be like a world without lawyers!

wildtrail

Nov 2, 2002, 6:11 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree with some points, and agree with others.

I don't really care about the post count. I post a lot because I like to. I have made handfuls of friends on this site. People that I would welcome into my how at a moment's notice and that would do the same for me. I post in community now, mainly. Why? Because I got sick and tired of the circular questions in the other forums. You can only answer "What shoe..., do you recommend cams or..., what pig..., etc" so many times. There are, what, 16,000 registered users on this site and at least 100 "regulars" that can offer advice at any time? Something like that. I'm one of them and I started out answering questions in General, Gear Heads, Injuries, etc forums until it got boring and circular. I then moved to forum and developed some good friendships. What is wrong with that?

This site isn't just for information. It's for being social. More than just answering some stupid shoe question. This is why we have a "Community" forum. To keep the riff-raff (like myself) from cluttering forums designated for information.

As far as the post counts, who cares? I don't. I just post a lot because I like communicating and joking with my friends.

Steve

overlord

Nov 2, 2002, 6:14 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

because its fun

CLIMB ON

lostangel

Nov 2, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The number of posts dont really hurting anything or anyone.. I understand your point but you are going to get good and bad info regardless....

The difference between post and Q-rating is that the Q-rating was hurting people who acually had good info and were relyable, just people didnt like them cause they were smart a**es and they would bash them,

When they did show who was giving what everyone was gettin a perfect score because no one wanted to be on bad ground with that person cause they would take offence.
posts are different,

yes there are people who have 2000 posts in the last 4 months just because they leave a " " as a reply... but the difference is we know who those people are, or you can by lookin at their replies to see if they are like that..

knowing the number of replies can be benifical because it gives a idea on how active they are on the site, to me is a security thing if I am going to climb with them because chances are if they have alot of posts then people from this site have most likely climbed with them.. I mean who wants to climb with someone they have no beta on lol ya know.. cause if they are belaying you your life is basically in their hands

I could go on and on about this issue but imma stop for now cause I think yall get my perspective...

[ This Message was edited by: lostangel on 2002-11-02 11:05 ]

jds100

Nov 2, 2002, 8:09 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a thread that discusses the reasons for "ditching the post count", among other ideas for improvement of the Forums.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=18750&forum=14&75

If it's too much trouble for you to read, then you're part of the problem. Be part of the solution.

jerrygarcia

Nov 2, 2002, 9:03 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a registered date would be fine.

redzit

Nov 5, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I love all of you for responding here. thank you.
now some of the issues, To judge climbing partiners. I think we should be able to list climbing partiners we've had from this site so people and pm them and find out about the potencial climbing buddy. Cause let's face it, some people don't mesh well.
I think that just a registration date is a great idea.
Now i still believe that a high post count is not a good motive for posting. If the web site decides to leave it on, then would they plase allow the Community posts to count, but for the threads not to appear on the main home page. that way we keep the crap in one place, kind of like a toilet.
W.T. I know you seem to like the post count, and i read you responces and they are usualy good, but your an odd ball. The system accualy fuctions with you. For the most part, post count does seem to be the cause of most dumb posts.
Why doesn't RC.com try it and see what happens. I it doesn't work, they get it back and restore our precious post count.
Goo Idea? Your thughs, if you please, my friends...

lox

Nov 6, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #17 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do you care about someone elses MOTIVES.

Live and let live.

I am always seeing people saying stuff like: "Things shouldn't be this way"...

But then they give their own personal reasons for wanting things to be that way.

Jeeze... if you are posting here only for the high post count, that should be cool with everyone. Everyone should already know that people who post solely for high post counts are TARDS anyway.

redzit

Nov 12, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, H.C. Here is the problem. I like to have a resourse to look up information on verious subjects. I also have a life. Crap postings take time. that means i have to spend time looking through a bunch of useless posts to find what I want. And this is not just a personal thing. From what I know, RC.com was developed as a resource for climbers to turn to for help.

In any event. I think that the post count could be replaced by something far more functional

socialclimber

Nov 14, 2002, 10:23 AM
Post #19 of 19 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It takes all kinds redzit. I don't have a problem with a few trivial or cheeky posts. I don't always feel like being deadly serious. Besides, if you can't laugh at everybody else, who can you laugh at?

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook