Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

lhwang

Feb 3, 2009, 4:24 AM
Post #51 of 438 (5661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really do expect my husband to cooperate with me on option 5... he tends to be more organized than me anyway (hell, he runs his own business and tells 8 people what to do throughout the day. I'm sure he could keep track of cupcake day).

As a side note, when I was in school, my dad worked as an engineer and my mom as a nurse and then as a small business owner. My dad was consistently the only dad in my class who ever came on field trips with us. He and my mom more or less split the field trips. For special school events (like award ceremonies), both of my parents would be there. I can only remember one time that my parents did not show up and it was so unexpected and I was so sad (I can't remember what happened but it was a good reason). Both my mom and dad were pretty much equally responsible for taking me to piano lessons or girl guides or whatever, for helping me with my homework, etc. If my dad was responsible for snacks for my class, he'd buy 2 dozen timbits. Anyway... I digress. But, the point of my rambling reminiscence of childhood is that it is possible for both parents to be relatively equally involved. At least that's what I saw in my family.

robbovius

Feb 3, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #52 of 438 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Now, I'm not a mom so I will readily admit that I don't know what it's like to try to balance climbing and motherhood.

Groan. then stop speculating about it. trust me, you have no idea. you are applying value judgments to that article, which are based in some cultural prejudices and conventional wisdoms you've embraced becasue they happen to fit your worldview and hopeful expectationa of what the experience MIGHT BE LIKE. its not like that. trust me, I'm an expert.

I happened to read that article, a while ago actually, and I happen to think that she's whining.

I am a dad (3 kids: 2 daughter grown adn away in college, and...), and these days a single parent to boot (...a 16 YO son who live with me. his mom moved away to live with her BF) . in 2003, one day when I was climbing at the local crag, College Rock, my middle daughter called me requesting a ride home (as told her to call and request) from dance.. so I asked my parteners to pack up my gear when they were done, and then I bailed for the parental responsibility.. just before Ileft tho, one of them said to me, - a woman I might ad who's a rc.com member of some reknown for her many high altitude epics - said to me, in all seriousness, "you do to much with your kids". like, what?

In reply to:
I'm really hopeful though that my husband and I will be like Don and Phyl Munday, who had a kid and still managed to do tons of first ascents in B.C., and that other people won't judge me saying that I'm making my kids miserable.

its nice to have dreams, but like most of the childless, you really haven't a clue what you're in for. neither did I. neither does anyone. had I known, I wouldn't have wasted my time speculating. ;-)

In reply to:
It pisses me off that you would never see an article like this written by a man.

tha'ts because everyone, men and women alike wouldn't believe it, and subsequently vilify him for being a crybaby - the male subculture does not include the insta-solidarity stereotypically attributed to the female subculture.

plus I mean, yeah you have to multitask and juggle, and when they're really little you can't, you CAN NOT do fun things for yourself as much, no matter how much you want to but, eh, there you are, "the great circle of life" etc, and all. you have to stoically accept it, accept the hard work and embrace the immense joy of watching them grow and develop, and wait for the time to go by so that your own time comes back. men are - stereotypically attributed to be - better stoics.

trust me, [the rhetorical] nobody says thanks for what one does as a parent, even the kids. doesn't matter. the parenting experience includes the purest joy, better than any other.

remember, you asked VVVV
In reply to:
Anyway, any thoughts? Especially from climbing dads and climbing moms...

(This post was edited by robbovius on Feb 3, 2009, 2:46 PM)

robbovius

Feb 3, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #53 of 438 (5630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
About male vs. female with general care... I think there is some correlation with a woman's thinking process and that they tend to end up taking charge even in these days of ....equality.

really? this has not been my experience, having lived it.

In reply to:
I read a book once...

GROAN.... yeah, the justifications and shallowly rationalized speculation of so many childless begin with just those words...or "the experts say..." ;-)

yeah. fun tymez. ;-) gimme a fucking break.

In reply to:
I had a guy friend and we were discussing this difference(before I had read this book). The guy says "You know, when you ask a guy what he's thinking about something? Imagine a little cartoon thought bubble coming from his head, and it's empty."

hmmm. maybe that particular guys head. your friend is an idiot.

In reply to:
What I am getting at is - guys(in general) just don't connect the dots sometimes, when it comes to their kids. They don't realize WHY the errand needs to get done now and that he needs to have (whatever) along for his 2-year old and that he needs to get back home (by whatever time) so the kid can get fed and his nap or else - well, we all know what happens then!

really? what DOES happen? I've happened to have lived it, and dealt with it just fine. how about you?

by reposting this quaint female prejudice against males as fathers, you insult every dad on this bbs. me, wideguy, krillen, arretinator, all of us.

In reply to:
The women connects the dots between risky behavior, all the way down to not being available for her child should she be hurt or injured. All without so much as tying in. Whereas the guy....is more apt to realize he's got trouble handling the child care about....the day he wakes up in the hospital after an accident, or gets home 6 hours past the time he said he would and now mom can't do what she had planned.

seriously, you havent any idea what your'e talking about. have some kids, raise them, and THEN get back to us. okay? Oh certainly, you can have all the (mis-informed, prejudicial, shallowly rationalized, fundamentally wrong) opinions you want. I'm happy to point them out for you.

Ma, I understand my responses to the above might be incongruous with the forum moderation rules...but, this kind of stereotypification and speculation by childless people just pisses me right off.

"I read a book once..."

please...

(This post was edited by robbovius on Feb 3, 2009, 3:08 PM)

clee03m

Feb 3, 2009, 3:57 PM
Post #54 of 438 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I did see it as defeatist. But I didn't think she was painting the future. She was doing a snapshot of things as they are NOW for many women. If people she polled felt that way, you cannot really argue with it, can you?

I am not sure who she polled. Why is that climbing moms I know seem to manage just fine? There is you, Lena, and at my gym there is one mom who climbs hard and takes trips (last major one being to Thailand), at least one mom who told me she is stronger now after having a baby (and you should see this woman boulder), and another 2 that bring their brand new babies to the gym that I see regularly.

I'm just saying, 'downgrade and place a shit load of gear' is really not worth printing.

k.l.k

Feb 3, 2009, 4:24 PM
Post #55 of 438 (5609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
aerili wrote:
So, although I am just as against any double standard as many of you, I don't think the woman who wrote that article was trying to be sexist or defeatist. Although it doesn't paint a future I personally want, I don't think she was trying to be negative or 'keep us down.'

I did see it as defeatist. But I didn't think she was painting the future. She was doing a snapshot of things as they are NOW for many women. If people she polled felt that way, you cannot really argue with it, can you?

Yeah, I think many folks here are reacting to the tone as much as anything. Survery after survey shows that women end up with a disproportionate share of domestic labor including childcare. The article doesn't blame that inequity on natural differences, but it does lean a bit toward, "You can't fight City Hall." Given the author's situation, I think many readers would like to have heard a bit more anger and resentment. (Of course, then she would have been denounced as a "feminazi" by the male readers.)

Several things struck me about the piece:

First, I suspect that it was truly difficult to write, and I honestly felt quite bad for her. Her choices are costing her a good deal.

Second, her story about almost dying in childbirth was really scary, and that experience has to have really shaped her. For a start, simply recovering from childbirth and those first several, really intense months must have been an incredible physical and mental struggle.

Third, her preferred variety of climbing is pretty limiting. If you don't really like bouldering or easy scrambling or the gym; and you don't live near your favorite crag; then your options are few. That's especially true in a place like the Gunks where the tradition of bold, dangerous leads is held out as the shining example.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 3, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #56 of 438 (5605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rob - I am glad you have the experiences you have, and that you shared. Perhaps a little more on being a climbing dad, when your kids were all in the under 16 age range would be helpful.

About the comments you questioned which I made - I know plenty of mothers who have been in partnerships, and that is where I based the things I wrote on. Never once declared myself an expert.....

No insult to dads who care well for their kids. There's no need to suggest anyone is lumping you AND every other dad on this forum in any such category. If you were insulted, that's on you.

lena_chita

Feb 3, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #57 of 438 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

I am not sure who she polled. Why is that climbing moms I know seem to manage just fine? There is you, Lena, and at my gym there is one mom who climbs hard and takes trips (last major one being to Thailand), at least one mom who told me she is stronger now after having a baby (and you should see this woman boulder), and another 2 that bring their brand new babies to the gym that I see regularly.

How many climbing moms do you know, other than me and these other 3 ladies? You are probably forgetting a lot of examples from your former life at CRG, but I could name quite a few, and they aren't flying to Thailand or crushing bouldering problems...

Also, when you see me and you see me "managing just fine", you see the snapshot of the present, not the might-have-beens.

It looks like a have a a good career, but would I have been in this job and in this place if I didn't have kids? Nope. I would have made different choices. Don't take me wrong-- I have absolutely no regrets about the career choices that I HAVE made. But I chose the work with more flexibility and less take-home pay because I had my kids in mind. Because I wanted to be with them more, I have not progressed in my career as far as I might have, or made as much money as I might have. I'm fine with that choice. I know I made that choice for a reason, and it is still a valid reason.

It looks like I find plenty of time to climb, but would I be climbing more if I didn't have kids? Would I be able to take more trips? Would I have more money to buy gear and to go on trips? Absolutely. Do I get frustrated at times about it? Yes. But the big-bicture is that my kids are still more important to me than my climbing, and so climbing gets sarcificed to some extent, and requires a lot of sacrifices in other parts of my life, in order to happen at all -- but an "outsider" may not see it. An outsider only sees the trips I DO take-- not the ones I had to pass on. An outsider may not know how much effort it took to get to the gym, how much planning, and how much sleep was sacrificed for it... the outsider only sees me-- climbing and obviously having fun-- and concludes that it is possible to have it all.

wonderwoman

Feb 3, 2009, 5:00 PM
Post #58 of 438 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went from being an adult with no obligations to a full time step-mom for a 6 year old child.

My climbing has not suffered because of it, but that may have to do with sharing parental responsibilities with a man who had already been a full time single parent for the first 6yrs of his daughters life.

When I met Josh and Dakotah, all I owned was a computer, two pet birds, and a slew of books. One of my major life changes included needing stable employment, where before I was relying on grant to grant to get by. While that's fine for a single person, it is different when there is suddenly a mouth to feed.

I agree that it does take some logistics to get all the climbing in that I need to get in. Dakotah goes with her biological mom every other weekend, and that's when we go to the Gunks or North Conway. We also have a friend in the Gunks with little kids and Dakotah is now at a 'baby sitting' age. Our larger trips to Squamish, Yosemite, etc, have been done while Dakotah goes to summer camp.

And sometimes, when she feels like it, we take her out climbing to a single pitch or top rope area. Sometimes she brings a friend with her. And sometimes it is a compromise. 'Okay, we'll go climbing for half the day and swimming later on.' We all seem to get what we need.

What I could not relate to what the author's decision not to climb with her husband. For me, Josh is the best climbing partner that I've ever had and I'm not willing to give that up! I don't intend to die climbing, with or without my husband.

We climb together mostly. Sometimes he takes her for the weekend so that I can get out and climb and vice versa. It's fair and balanced.

Maybe by means of refusing to climb with her spouse any longer, the author inadvertently took on more of the parental responsibilities. That sets her up for the 'motherhood being incompatible with climbing' scenario. It's self-imposed. But as long as she is happy with her life, that is what matters.

robbovius

Feb 3, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #59 of 438 (5584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
rob - I am glad you have the experiences you have, and that you shared. Perhaps a little more on being a climbing dad, when your kids were all in the under 16 age range would be helpful.

About the comments you questioned which I made - I know plenty of mothers who have been in partnerships, and that is where I based the things I wrote on. Never once declared myself an expert.....

No insult to dads who care well for their kids. There's no need to suggest anyone is lumping you AND every other dad on this forum in any such category. If you were insulted, that's on you.
All points taken. pardon my gettin all het up on it. perhaps if you hadn't been so semantically all-inclusive about the men being this-or-that vis-a-vis womens'generalized parenting skills.

you wrote those words, using them to make a point, and didn't specify that they dis-included some, so don't be so obtuse as to deny some responsibility for the interpretation of what you wrote, or implym that its all in my interpretation.

... and, it remains an old, tired, adn sterotypified female prejudice regarding men and parenting.

when my kids were very little ( 1988-1993 ), I had to give up alot of my own stuff, namely, playing in bands. I didn't start climbing until they were all between the ages of 7 and 10 - youngest to oldest. there are alot of yuears where they're very dependant on the parent for, well, everything, y'know? so you have to make that judgmebnt about what you can anc can't do. its very hard, as you wind up denying yourself alot of former enthusiasms/activities. But this is normal, that's the way it works.

I used to take them with me to the local REI to climb on the freebie climbing arch, adn we all take turns. when i began climbing seriously outside, they weren't so enamored of it, so I'd structure my climbing around their transpo/home/activity/domesticity needs. that's really all it is. considering your own enthusiasms, you do what you can, and then, well, dont' do what you can't.

now that the girls are verging on grown-ass-woman status, all I've got to deal with is Cody, and he's almost 17, who is growing into his independance steadily, as he should at this age.

so here I am, in my middle years, (if I make to 100 perhaps) with my free time coming back to me, and can throw myself into my enthusiasms with, um, enthusiasm.

jakedatc

Feb 3, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #60 of 438 (5570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
There's no need to suggest anyone is lumping you AND every other dad on this forum in any such category. If you were insulted, that's on you.

Oh for the love of Dinojesus. 3 pages of lumping every dad into the category of a dumbass with no freaking clue as to what his kids need and no responsibility to care for them and blah blah

Lena said
In reply to:
The husbands come from the same stock, but who is taking time off to come and read a story to a bunch of kindergarteners and help out with the field trip? Not the people with the Y chromosome!

happie said
In reply to:
I had a guy friend and we were discussing this difference(before I had read this book). The guy says "You know, when you ask a guy what he's thinking about something? Imagine a little cartoon thought bubble coming from his head, and it's empty."
In reply to:
What I am getting at is - guys(in general) just don't connect the dots sometimes, when it comes to their kids. They don't realize WHY the errand needs to get done now and that he needs to have (whatever) along for his 2-year old and that he needs to get back home (by whatever time) so the kid can get fed and his nap or else - well, we all know what happens then!

CrazyCrazy (i miss the eye rolly face)

some sweeping generalizations going on and i've climbed with Chad, Rob, Josh, Jay, and other dads who have either had to bail, had to cut time short, had to schedule climbing around their kids. Rob being one who has gone above and beyond anything miss Happie you could possibly imagine. Even with his Ex being a psycho bitch and making things crazy hard to him to do anything he still climbs and takes care of his kids.

but he shouldn't be offended? pffft

clausti

Feb 3, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #61 of 438 (5573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Maybe by means of refusing to climb with her spouse any longer, the author inadvertently took on more of the parental responsibilities. That sets her up for the 'motherhood being incompatible with climbing' scenario. It's self-imposed. But as long as she is happy with her life, that is what matters.

what made me mad about reading the article, i think, as a woman who climbs and doesn't have kids (yet?) is that she wrote it like, "this is the way it is, the way it has to be, and it sucks for everyone so fuck you if you want to climb and have kids you're a bad mom."

it's like fine, those are your choices, and they ain't making you happy. but dont fucking write "conclusions" and tell everyone else what it has to be like.

clausti

Feb 3, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #62 of 438 (5571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

Oh for the love of Dinojesus. 3 pages of lumping every dad into the category of a dumbass with no freaking clue as to what his kids need and no responsibility to care for them and blah blah

to be fair, i realize you were talking to happiegrrl, but not everyone in this thread is lumping all men into the "idiots" category. and lena has been talking mostly in specifics about her situation.

some of us have, in fact, been lumping guys into the "perfectly fucking competent to split stuff" category.

puerto

Feb 3, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #63 of 438 (5569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I had a guy friend and we were discussing this difference(before I had read this book). The guy says "You know, when you ask a guy what he's thinking about something? Imagine a little cartoon thought bubble coming from his head, and it's empty."

------

Maybe he was trying to get into your pants?

Nothing like having a woman who doesn't sound too bright herself call you stupid.

Or as says Demosthenes, "Nothing is easier than self-deceit."

jakedatc

Feb 3, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #64 of 438 (5564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

to be fair, i realize you were talking to happiegrrl, but not everyone in this thread is lumping all men into the "idiots" category. and lena has been talking mostly in specifics about her situation.

some of us have, in fact, been lumping guys into the "perfectly fucking competent to split stuff" category.

I didn't realize lena was just talking about folks in her area. my mistake . My main point was the way that Happie was talking and even as a non-father find it pretty damn offensive

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #65 of 438 (5558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
clee03m wrote:
Or choice number 5 which is when they say parents coordinate, they mean parents and not moms. I completely expect my husband to share all responsibilities including cupcake bullshit.

Great expectation!

Yes, of course, when the note says "parents coordinate" that means theoretically parents of both genders. However, if you did a poll of the parents in my kids' classroom, or did a poll of parents I work with, and asked them what notes came home from school in the past couple weeks, I can guarantee you that Moms will tell you exactly what those notes said, and describe how they are planning to deal with it, and most Dads would say:"Huh? what note? there is a birthday celebration at school? which project is due? Nobody told me!"

A somewhat comical example from couple of weeks ago.

K. called me on Wednesday, frantic b/c Daniel didn't come home from school. He called the after-care, and Daniel wasn't there, either, so he needed someone (that would be me) to tell him what to do next.

Meanwhile, on the board right above the kitchen table there was a BIG bright-neon-pink sign that said in large black letters: GREENHOUSE CLUB DATES. Yes, that Wednesday was listed right there on that neon-pink sheet.

Did K. know that Daniel was participating in Greenhouse club? Theoretically he should have known.
--When the description of the clubs came home in the fall, he saw it.
--When Daniel signed up for it, there was a discussion which club he wanted to choose, complete with the discussion about the late bus, the time the late bus showed up, etc..
--When the schedule of club meeting dates came home, he saw it, too, theoretically. And then the Schedule went up on a board in a very visible place in the kitchen, so we would all remember it.
--This being a regular event, there have been multiple meetings (always on Wednesdays) before now.
--Moreover, on the very morning of the day he panicked b/c his child was missing, he was right there at the table during breakfast, when I had reminded Daniel that he had a greenhouse club after school, reminded him of the time the late bus left the school, and asked him to check that he still had his home key in his backpack.

Nothing wrong with my husband's brain. he will tell you exactly when he climbed his first 5.12, after how many tries, and what the crux sequence was. He is also very good at trivia games...

People remember things that they find important... concluision?

OH COME ON!!! At least he noticed that the kid was missing!!! Tongue

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #66 of 438 (5551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
clee03m wrote:
Or choice number 5 which is when they say parents coordinate, they mean parents and not moms. I completely expect my husband to share all responsibilities including cupcake bullshit.

Great expectation!

Yes, of course, when the note says "parents coordinate" that means theoretically parents of both genders. However, if you did a poll of the parents in my kids' classroom, or did a poll of parents I work with, and asked them what notes came home from school in the past couple weeks, I can guarantee you that Moms will tell you exactly what those notes said, and describe how they are planning to deal with it, and most Dads would say:"Huh? what note? there is a birthday celebration at school? which project is due? Nobody told me!"

A somewhat comical example from couple of weeks ago.

K. called me on Wednesday, frantic b/c Daniel didn't come home from school. He called the after-care, and Daniel wasn't there, either, so he needed someone (that would be me) to tell him what to do next.

Meanwhile, on the board right above the kitchen table there was a BIG bright-neon-pink sign that said in large black letters: GREENHOUSE CLUB DATES. Yes, that Wednesday was listed right there on that neon-pink sheet.

Did K. know that Daniel was participating in Greenhouse club? Theoretically he should have known.
--When the description of the clubs came home in the fall, he saw it.
--When Daniel signed up for it, there was a discussion which club he wanted to choose, complete with the discussion about the late bus, the time the late bus showed up, etc..
--When the schedule of club meeting dates came home, he saw it, too, theoretically. And then the Schedule went up on a board in a very visible place in the kitchen, so we would all remember it.
--This being a regular event, there have been multiple meetings (always on Wednesdays) before now.
--Moreover, on the very morning of the day he panicked b/c his child was missing, he was right there at the table during breakfast, when I had reminded Daniel that he had a greenhouse club after school, reminded him of the time the late bus left the school, and asked him to check that he still had his home key in his backpack.

Nothing wrong with my husband's brain. he will tell you exactly when he climbed his first 5.12, after how many tries, and what the crux sequence was. He is also very good at trivia games...

People remember things that they find important... concluision?

OH COME ON!!! At least he noticed that the kid was missing!!! Tongue

whoa, where'd these vote things come from all of a sudden?

tavs

Feb 3, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #67 of 438 (5548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are all men/fathers hapless losers who don't spend any time taking care of their kids? No.

Do women/mothers still perform the majority of home and childcare responsibilities? Yes. Surveys and research from many social science disciplines consistently show an imbalance. Does this mean that in every household, the women does more of the work? No.

I would also suggest that childless-women do have some experience from which to speak about parental roles: their own childhoods. Of course, times are changing (the imbalance in responsibilities is certainly less pronounced than it used to be). But, at the risk of speaking for others, I'm sure at least some of us grew up in homes where it was our mothers who picked us up from school, made treats for the class, arranged playdates, drove us to and from various activities, cooked meals, cleaned the house, etc. I certainly did, and this was with a father who was by no means a Neaderthal in his attitudes towards females--I was the son he never had, and we constantly bonded over sports (playing and watching). But still--the closest he ever came to "cooking" was mixing up tuna for a sandwich. Oh yeah, and both of my parents worked full-time. Maybe, just maybe, those of us without children of our own have had our images shaped by our childhoods, by watching our friends' families, by TV and movies, and so on.

Some take those experiences and assume that's the way it always is and always will be; some won't stand for it continuing; and some do recognize that it isn't always like that.

clausti

Feb 3, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #68 of 438 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as a total tangent- when did the whole "playdates" thing arise? 'cause me and my sibz did definitely not have them, and I assumed it was a later generational thing, but i'm pretty sure tavs is my age or older.

i mean, i had three siblings, and we went to church 2-3 times a week, so maybe playdates are for kids who don't have an extra-school structure in place for social stuff? or is it supposed to be in addition? (my husband and i were actually talking about the social void relative to our own childhoods that no church would mean for hypothetical children).

but yeah, playdates- what it is?

(This post was edited by clausti on Feb 3, 2009, 7:18 PM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #69 of 438 (5529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

tavs wrote:
Are all men/fathers hapless losers who don't spend any time taking care of their kids? No.

Do women/mothers still perform the majority of home and childcare responsibilities? Yes. Surveys and research from many social science disciplines consistently show an imbalance. Does this mean that in every household, the women does more of the work? No.

I would also suggest that childless-women do have some experience from which to speak about parental roles: their own childhoods. Of course, times are changing (the imbalance in responsibilities is certainly less pronounced than it used to be). But, at the risk of speaking for others, I'm sure at least some of us grew up in homes where it was our mothers who picked us up from school, made treats for the class, arranged playdates, drove us to and from various activities, cooked meals, cleaned the house, etc. I certainly did, and this was with a father who was by no means a Neaderthal in his attitudes towards females--I was the son he never had, and we constantly bonded over sports (playing and watching). But still--the closest he ever came to "cooking" was mixing up tuna for a sandwich. Oh yeah, and both of my parents worked full-time. Maybe, just maybe, those of us without children of our own have had our images shaped by our childhoods, by watching our friends' families, by TV and movies, and so on.

Some take those experiences and assume that's the way it always is and always will be; some won't stand for it continuing; and some do recognize that it isn't always like that.

I'll throw in my thoughts on my upbringing in here. My parents were divorced when I was young (2yo, maybe?) and my mother remarried when I was about four.

Basically, my life with my mom and stepfather was one where neither really gave a shit unless I or my sisters did something to disrupt them. They may have attended about 2 or 3 games / events / etc from the time I entered school until I left the house to live with my dad after 8th grade. I was pulled from the class play in the 5th grade because they didn't want to give me rides, and this was repeated for my karate classes and one year of baseball.

I went to live with my dad for the start of high school. He was single, living alone, and working very long hours (he had about a 1.5hr commute each way every day on top). I'm not going to say that he picked me up every day or even came to all my games, because he didn't, but there was definitely something different in how he missed my events. To be clear, he came to about half of my extra-cirricular actitivities. He even helped me make cookies for class once (a rugged construction worker he was - and my mom was stay at home - to be fair, she baked cookies, too). Whenever my Dad did miss events, he always seemed to be trying to make up for it elsewhere. Whether he was always succesful or not is irrelevant - he tried and my mom and stepfather made me feel as if I was a burden on them.

This carried with me for a very long time. I started to paint a clear picture of who was important in my life based on how they treated me. At the top were my father and grandmother (because she was always so warm and loving - I did live with her for several years, too, and she was always there with my grandfather for me - she holds my highest respect and admiration). But the thing that kept coming back to me was how divorced mothers were much more likely to get custody and alimoney from the fathers and not the other way around. My own experience told me that this wasn't necessarily the best decision. Later in life I even made small adjustments to Mass state law pertaining to child support checks to strip the language from saying "Father pays Mother" to say "non-custodial parent pays custodial parent." Do the stats show that most custodial parents are women? Yes, but that doesn't mean it is right.

I guess what I'm saying is that while there are a lot stereotypes about how men do nothing in the child-rearing world, there's also a lot of unspoken material about how some moms don't make the best parents despite everyone thinking they should be. My dad is my hero. My mom, while we've certainly reconciled and moved on, couldn't hold a stick to him. It's not even close.

clausti

Feb 3, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #70 of 438 (5516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

Basically, my life with my mom and stepfather was one where neither really gave a shit unless I or my sisters did something to disrupt them. They may have attended about 2 or 3 games / events / etc from the time I entered school until I left the house to live with my dad after 8th grade. I was pulled from the class play in the 5th grade because they didn't want to give me rides, and this was repeated for my karate classes and one year of baseball.

i think this is part of my lack of comprehension- i did not have "afterschool activities" until 7th grade, which is when school sports started, and incidentally also the year my brother got his drivers/chauffeur's license. my afterschool activities in elementary school were reading books, playing in the dirt/riding bikes and fighting with my siblings. my mom was home with us full time till my second grade, my little sister's kindergarten, and then she worked part time (she was home by the time the bus dropped us off) till i was in middle school, when we were latchkey kids.

i never felt neglected, or that i was a burden, or any of that. we just didn't do the activity kaleidoscope, and my mom didn't rip chunks out of her workday to drive us around. and so it's hard for me to imagine how i'll deal with it with my own hypothetical kids, because we didn't do it when i was a kid.

robbovius

Feb 3, 2009, 7:53 PM
Post #71 of 438 (5516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
tavs wrote:

I'll throw in my thoughts on my upbringing in here. My parents were divorced when I was young (2yo, maybe?) and my mother remarried when I was about four.

I went to live with my dad for the start of high school. He was single, living alone, and working very long hours (he had about a 1.5hr commute each way every day on top). I'm not going to say that he picked me up every day or even came to all my games, because he didn't, but there was definitely something different in how he missed my events. To be clear, he came to about half of my extra-cirricular actitivities. He even helped me make cookies for class once (a rugged construction worker he was - and my mom was stay at home - to be fair, she baked cookies, too). Whenever my Dad did miss events, he always seemed to be trying to make up for it elsewhere. Whether he was always succesful or not is irrelevant - he tried and my mom and stepfather made me feel as if I was a burden on them.

This carried with me for a very long time. I started to paint a clear picture of who was important in my life based on how they treated me. At the top were my father and grandmother (because she was always so warm and loving - I did live with her for several years, too, and she was always there with my grandfather for me - she holds my highest respect and admiration). But the thing that kept coming back to me was how divorced mothers were much more likely to get custody and alimoney from the fathers and not the other way around. My own experience told me that this wasn't necessarily the best decision. Later in life I even made small adjustments to Mass state law pertaining to child support checks to strip the language from saying "Father pays Mother" to say "non-custodial parent pays custodial parent." Do the stats show that most custodial parents are women? Yes, but that doesn't mean it is right.

I guess what I'm saying is that while there are a lot stereotypes about how men do nothing in the child-rearing world, there's also a lot of unspoken material about how some moms don't make the best parents despite everyone thinking they should be. My dad is my hero. My mom, while we've certainly reconciled and moved on, couldn't hold a stick to him. It's not even close.

I'd like to shake your dad's hand. he and I could share some stories. No good deed goes unpunished.

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #72 of 438 (5507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
tavs wrote:

I'd like to shake your dad's hand. he and I could share some stories. No good deed goes unpunished.

Wink

Though I'm not sure I want him sharing all the of the stories he'd like to tell. ShockedBlush

wonderwoman

Feb 3, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #73 of 438 (5503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the 'traditional' family roles really piss me off. For instance, when I bring my daughter to the doctor and tell them that I am the 'step-mother' there is a general pause and look of concern. And sometimes they ask (in front of her) 'Well, where is her real mom?'.

Or when Josh finalized his divorce, after Dakotah had been living with him all of her life, the judge asks 'Why is the child not going to live with the mother?'.

Or even on my daily commute to take Dakotah to school on the train, we get these fawning 'Oh, isn't that cute - a mother taking her daughter to school' sort of looks from people. I find it really bizarre.

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 8:23 PM
Post #74 of 438 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Some of the 'traditional' family roles really piss me off. For instance, when I bring my daughter to the doctor and tell them that I am the 'step-mother' there is a general pause and look of concern. And sometimes they ask (in front of her) 'Well, where is her real mom?'.

Or when Josh finalized his divorce, after Dakotah had been living with him all of her life, the judge asks 'Why is the child not going to live with the mother?'.

Or even on my daily commute to take Dakotah to school on the train, we get these fawning 'Oh, isn't that cute - a mother taking her daughter to school' sort of looks from people. I find it really bizarre.

Obviously, that's the one that gets me. But I have to admit that the part about taking her to school is also weird. I went out on a date with someone once and she noted how hot she thought her neighbor was for how much attention he paid to his daughter (she was four or five years old). So the mother gets "she's doing her job" and the father gets "he's hot."

[Drumming fingers]...shit, I need to get me a kid...

clausti

Feb 3, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #75 of 438 (5491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Obviously, that's the one that gets me. But I have to admit that the part about taking her to school is also weird. I went out on a date with someone once and she noted how hot she thought her neighbor was for how much attention he paid to his daughter (she was four or five years old). So the mother gets "she's doing her job" and the father gets "he's hot."

[Drumming fingers]...shit, I need to get me a kid...

older kids are hard to get adopted. you could probably get a 5 year old on the cheap. CrazyCrazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook