Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Climbing and being a mom
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

wonderwoman

Feb 25, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #276 of 438 (4182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I do have one question though. Do your friends who have children envious of their husbands who are climbing more or are they climbing as much as they want? If the answer is the first, then they have no one to blame but themselves. I have yet to be in a relationship when the woman has not ultimately gotten her way, in just about everything ;)

well, if you weren't getting your way, then you have no one to blame but yourself, now, do you?

They usually make better choices than me anyhow ;)

Although, the senario always seams to go something like this:

her: You pick where to go for dinner.
me: Indian?
her: No.
me: Itallian?
me: Chinese?
me: Brew pub?
me: Thai?
her: OK.

of course picking where you go to dinner is equivalent. very relevant example, thank you.

I'm sorry if you couldn't see the metaphor......

Going out to dinner is an enjoyable, and fair, endeavor for both parties. Not only that, but during the process you are spending quality time together.

Divvying up child care duties so that both parties can spend an equal amount of time on the rock, and away from one another, is a lot different.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #277 of 438 (4176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I am sorry that you hypothetically chose to marry a pig instead of a man but in all of the relationships I've been in my partner and I would bend over backwards for eachother and in the relationships of my friends with kids, they've stayed in for the weekend with the kids so the wife could have her "party night out with the girls" etc.

1. a girls night out is a 3-6 hour affair, not a 48-60 hour weekend.

2. i'm sorry that you, like many of the guys in this thread, are apparently unable to take specifically hypothetical situations in a general, rather than personal way. your n=1 counterexamples kind of miss the point of discussing the power balance in a hypothetical situation. I'm trying to get you to see where some women would be coming from, and all you have to respond with is "well that's not how it is for me." not. thepoint.

Hmmm, well she's usually hung over the next day, so that becomes more of a 36 hour deally in my n=1 sampling pool.

And yes, of course we're going to take it personal. Modern partners talk. Modern partners do things for each other. Modern partners take care of each other.

If you take enough n=1 sampling pools it tends to add up. How accurate is your sampling pool though in the modern days? How many men under 30 would really tell their wives that they wouldn't look after the kid so they could go climbing for the weekend? I am sure these types of people exist, but how frequent are they in our generation? Are you sure your sampling data isn't n=1, where 1=June Cleaver?

clee03m

Feb 25, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #278 of 438 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And finally, there is a group of 3 women who say that they won't allow this sort of discrimination to happen to them, they and their partners are beyond it, they have the solutions (to the problem they are yet to encounter personally), they won't have to sacrifice much of anything when they have kids, anyway, and anyone who complains has dug her own hole and is a bad example to all the other young women out there, but is NOT at all representative of what most women go through in some way.

Interesting. I totally don't see that on this thread, well, may be because I am one of those 'group of 3 women.' I see that there are definately some women who feel that they do more of child rearing than their husband and either climb or not. But I also heard from women who have supportive husbands and climb. Hell, we just recently heard from a woman who climbs 12's even though she started climbing when her baby was 6 months old. Why discount her experience? What about lhwang's parents? I also heard from at least one dad who did way more than the mom. Automatically discount a perspective because it comes from a dad? May be what they are saying is true, and they have a fair relationship. It seems that every time an example of relationship that is fair is mentioned, it is dismissed because this is not what a 'majority of women' experience. May be you are right, and this happens often. I'm sure it's more comfortable to think this is inevitable, but this kind of thinking only perpetuates what you perceive is unfair. I'm not sure why more women don't say to future moms, "Good for you. I hope your story is different than mine."

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 5:53 PM
Post #279 of 438 (4168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I am sorry that you hypothetically chose to marry a pig instead of a man but in all of the relationships I've been in my partner and I would bend over backwards for eachother and in the relationships of my friends with kids, they've stayed in for the weekend with the kids so the wife could have her "party night out with the girls" etc.

2. i'm sorry that you, like many of the guys in this thread, are apparently unable to take specifically hypothetical situations in a general, rather than personal way. your n=1 counterexamples kind of miss the point of discussing the power balance in a hypothetical situation. I'm trying to get you to see where some women would be coming from, and all you have to respond with is "well that's not how it is for me." not. thepoint.

Hmmm, well she's usually hung over the next day, so that becomes more of a 36 hour deally in my n=1 sampling pool.

And yes, of course we're going to take it personal.

well that's unfortunate, since *i wasn't talking about you personally*.

In reply to:
If you take enough n=1 sampling pools it tends to add up.

then, it would be n!=1, wouldn't it? and, again, we're not talking about "enough" single samples, we're talking about how your single experience isn't a counterexample to disprove all scenarios. your experience is relevant to YOU and to your partner, but not everyone's experience is like yours.

In reply to:
How accurate is your sampling pool though in the modern days? How many men under 30 would really tell their wives that they wouldn't look after the kid so they could go climbing for the weekend? I am sure these types of people exist, but how frequent are they in our generation? Are you sure your sampling data isn't n=1, where 1=June Cleaver?

my sample was n=0, since it was hypothetical.

and I'm 23, btw. i'm not a 50's mom, and i didn't grow up in the 60's. I had to google June Cleaver.

(This post was edited by clausti on Feb 25, 2009, 5:55 PM)

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #280 of 438 (4163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
But I also heard from women who have supportive husbands and climb. Hell, we just recently heard from a woman who climbs 12's even though she started climbing when her baby was 6 months old. Why discount her experience?

did you miss the part where she said her oldest was 13 when she started, too? hello, built-in babysitter. it's not that her experience doesn't matter to anyone, it's just that her experience is not that of someone who attempted to return to climbing or begin climbing with an infant or a toddler and no one to help watch the kids but the primary partner/husband.

In reply to:
Automatically discount a perspective because it comes from a dad? May be what they are saying is true, and they have a fair relationship. It seems that every time an example of relationship that is fair is mentioned, it is dismissed because this is not what a 'majority of women' experience.

again, it's not that it's discounted- their situations are their situations and good for them and their partners. but some of the dads who have offered seem to think that because their personal situation is one way, then all of the women who say it's not fair have only themselves to blame and that all dads are equally giving. all dads are not equally giving. some are, but many aren't.

no single scenario is "inevitable," is the point. it's not inevitable that the dad will be a jerk or that the woman will take the lion's share. it's not inevitable, either, that the dad will be understanding and giving and equitable. and no matter how hard you try, one person can not by themselves fix a broken relationship. both people have to be trying. and both people are not always trying. sometimes yes, and sometimes no, but no single situation is reflective of all.

(This post was edited by clausti on Feb 25, 2009, 6:02 PM)

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #281 of 438 (4159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

And yes, of course we're going to take it personal.

well that's unfortunate, since *i wasn't talking about you personally*.

In reply to:
If you take enough n=1 sampling pools it tends to add up.

then, it would be n!=1, wouldn't it? and, again, we're not talking about "enough" single samples, we're talking about how your single experience isn't a counterexample to disprove all scenarios. your experience is relevant to YOU and to your partner, but not everyone's experience is like yours.

In reply to:
How accurate is your sampling pool though in the modern days? How many men under 30 would really tell their wives that they wouldn't look after the kid so they could go climbing for the weekend? I am sure these types of people exist, but how frequent are they in our generation? Are you sure your sampling data isn't n=1, where 1=June Cleaver?

my sample was n=0, since it was hypothetical.

and I'm 23, btw. i'm not a 50's mom, and i didn't grow up in the 60's. I had to google June Cleaver.

I'm only 27 but it is referenced enough as a very 50's mom steriotype that I know it ;)

I think Clee said it every well. These are all hypotheticals. And yeah, you might end up with an asshole who refuses to help with the kids, but then again, a guy might end up with a wife who tells him that he's never climbing again.

Some people are just like that. However they are the minority in this age. Chances are you'll find a nice climber guy someday, you'll have wonderful kids, and every other weekend you'll send the wee ones to spend the weekend at grandma and grandpa's so you can climb and everyone will live happily ever after.

Oh wait, that might be my fantasy ;)

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #282 of 438 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Chances are you'll find a nice climber guy someday, you'll have wonderful kids, and every other weekend you'll send the wee ones to spend the weekend at grandma and grandpa's so you can climb and everyone will live happily ever after.

I'm already married to a nice climber, but thanks for the well-wishes.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #283 of 438 (4151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
clee03m wrote:
But I also heard from women who have supportive husbands and climb. Hell, we just recently heard from a woman who climbs 12's even though she started climbing when her baby was 6 months old. Why discount her experience?

did you miss the part where she said her oldest was 13 when she started, too? hello, built-in babysitter. it's not that her experience doesn't matter to anyone, it's just that her experience is not that of someone who attempted to return to climbing or begin climbing with an infant or a toddler and no one to help watch the kids but the primary partner/husband.

In reply to:
Automatically discount a perspective because it comes from a dad? May be what they are saying is true, and they have a fair relationship. It seems that every time an example of relationship that is fair is mentioned, it is dismissed because this is not what a 'majority of women' experience.

again, it's not that it's discounted- their situations are their situations and good for them and their partners. but some of the dads who have offered seem to think that because their personal situation is one way, then all of the women who say it's not fair have only themselves to blame and that all dads are equally giving. all dads are not equally giving. some are, but many aren't.

no single scenario is "inevitable," is the point. it's not inevitable that the dad will be a jerk or that the woman will take the lion's share. it's not inevitable, either, that the dad will be understanding and giving and equitable. and no matter how hard you try, one person can not by themselves fix a broken relationship. both people have to be trying. and both people are not always trying. sometimes yes, and sometimes no, but no single situation is reflective of all.

Well that's the thing though. I think what clee, myself, and many of the guys here are saying is that this stone age-man senario is a fairly rare event in today's world.

Heck, the only people I know who fall under this steriotype are Mormons..... Everyone I knew was a good person....but they tended to be very....backwards in their relationships.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #284 of 438 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Chances are you'll find a nice climber guy someday, you'll have wonderful kids, and every other weekend you'll send the wee ones to spend the weekend at grandma and grandpa's so you can climb and everyone will live happily ever after.

And do you think your nice climber would ever keep you at home every weekend so he could go climbing instead of doing his fair share?

clee03m

Feb 25, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #285 of 438 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Well that's the thing though. I think what clee, myself, and many of the guys here are saying is that this stone age-man senario is a fairly rare event in today's world.

I'm a woman married to an enlightened man. I know, I know, just wait until I have a baby....

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 6:26 PM
Post #286 of 438 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:

and i think you're failing to see that it's not binary. it is not the case that all men are either "stone age" dicks who never look after their kids or "modern" men who are the epitome of accommodation.

you can be "modern in somethings" like, you change exactly half, or hey even 2/3 of all the diapers. but say it's a few years later and you have 3 kids whos busses all come at different times, and your wife had to leave in the middle of the night because her mother, who has Alzheimer's, fell at the nursing home. now, you make their lunches every morning before you go to work, but do you know which order the kids leave in and when to get them out onto the curb to get there on time?

again, this is hypothetical. for you to envision a scenerio where the woman feels like she carries the bulk of the responsibility but the man feels like he's contributing plenty, and is blindsided when she complains.

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 6:29 PM
Post #287 of 438 (4142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

And do you think your nice climber would ever keep you at home every weekend so he could go climbing instead of doing his fair share?

one, lets start with how you assume that my aspirations were to find a nice climber to marry and have kids.

two, me and my nice climbers aren't even sure that we'll have kids, so we'll see.

three, no, I don't think that. but again, that's one expectation, contingent upon one experience. it doesn't mean it won't happen to anyone.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #288 of 438 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

I'm a woman married to an enlightened man. I know, I know, just wait until I have a baby....

Ha, apparently having babies will turn him into a selfish, horrible man :p

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #289 of 438 (4131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

one, lets start with how you assume that my aspirations were to find a nice climber to marry and have kids.

two, me and my nice climbers aren't even sure that we'll have kids, so we'll see.

three, no, I don't think that. but again, that's one expectation, contingent upon one experience. it doesn't mean it won't happen to anyone.

In reply to:
let's say i'm me, 10 years from now, and I have just finished weaning my 18 month old child.

1) It sounded like you had at least some interest in having children. And if you're going to have kids, why wouldn't you want to have them with a nice climber?

2) The key words to my question were "would ever" which is not contingent on you having children or not.

3) You seam to be way too eager to vilify men despite all evidence to the contrary.

Yes, your hypothetic situation might happen to a small minority of climbing women with kids. Sounds like even if you have a child, which you have stated you are unsure that you really want to do this (I have to add this in, because WOH! If we're talking in hypotheticals and I continue a hypothetical without explicitly stating it as such, WATCH OUT THE ULTRA FEMINIST WILL GET OFFENDED!!!!)

However many bad things happen to small numbers of people. I don't get this RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE attitude, when in fact, the machine has gone byebye.

The reason why I referenced June Cleaver was because you act like most women are treated like this. They're not. That was a long time ago. I am sure that there are people who still treat women like they're some sort of man servants, but they are the minority, and obviously you're not married to one, so what does it matter???

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #290 of 438 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:

3) You seam to be way too eager to vilify men despite all evidence to the contrary.

please, with an utter lack of sarcasm, quote the places where i have vilified men as a whole.

In reply to:
I am sure that there are people who still treat women like they're some sort of man servants, but they are the minority, and obviously you're not married to one, so what does it matter???

out of curiosity, where did you grow up?

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #291 of 438 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:

1) It sounded like you had at least some interest in having children. And if you're going to have kids, why wouldn't you want to have them with a nice climber?

oh, and your original question was "nice climber guy". this is a bit nitpicky, but maybe i wanted a nice climber girl? you didn't ask.

lena_chita

Feb 25, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #292 of 438 (4123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And finally, there is a group of 3 women who say that they won't allow this sort of discrimination to happen to them, they and their partners are beyond it, they have the solutions (to the problem they are yet to encounter personally), they won't have to sacrifice much of anything when they have kids, anyway, and anyone who complains has dug her own hole and is a bad example to all the other young women out there, but is NOT at all representative of what most women go through in some way.

Interesting. I totally don't see that on this thread, well, may be because I am one of those 'group of 3 women.' I see that there are definately some women who feel that they do more of child rearing than their husband and either climb or not.

Make 'some' into almost all, and you got it closer...

clee03m wrote:

Who said that her experience gets discounted?

But did you also miss the fact that she had an older child who was old enough to baby-sit the younger ones, AND she lives 10 minutes away from a great outdoor climbing destinastion?

Can you compare a 10-minute trip in the car with kids to a 6 hour trip? An overnight camping trip with kids to a day trip where you DON'T have to pack all the parafernalia and you get to go home to your own shower and bed?

clee03m wrote:
What about lhwang's parents? ."

What about them? They sound like very nice people. I also happen to have parents who were both professionals (electical engineers, both of them), and I think they did a pretty good job or raising us. the point is?

clee03m wrote:
I also heard from at least one dad who did way more than the mom. Automatically discount a perspective because it comes from a dad? May be what they are saying is true, and they have a fair relationship.

Again, I don't think the experience gets discounted. But the kids in question are much older, and we didn't exactly hear what things were like when they were younger, and why exactly the wife left. (not that we need to hear that, but do women commonly leave such wonderful men and such good fathers?)

clee03m wrote:
It seems that every time an example of relationship that is fair is mentioned, it is dismissed because this is not what a 'majority of women' experience. May be you are right, and this happens often. I'm sure it's more comfortable to think this is inevitable, but this kind of thinking only perpetuates what you perceive is unfair. I'm not sure why more women don't say to future moms, "Good for you. I hope your story is different than mine."

I do not think for a second that it is inevitable. As you know, my husband and I figured out an arrangement that is fair, and I think others can, too, if they really want to.

But I also KNOW for sure, that yes, things are different for many women-- in part because of how people react to ME when they find out how much I climb. In part because I've had the non-climbers say to me:"How can you do that? what about your kids? How can you leave them so often?"-- and yet no one ever said that to my husband. In part because I know many, many women who AREN'T able to climb much after having kids, while I know many more men whose climbing in only mildly affected.

(and by the way, you know those women, too. Remember Claire, Mike's wife? A pretty strong boulderer, she climbed though most of her first pregnancy, too? Remember Christa, Jason's wife? Remember Cory? Ian's wife? How about Heidi's friend with 4 kids, don't remember her name anymore? Out of all of them, only Cory climbs still -- but she only made it to the gym twice since November... And Christa started a climbing mom's group recently, that was supposed to meet once a week at the gym -- with kids, except the women met the first week, and the next 3 weeks no one managed to make it to the gym for some reason or other... but it might still work, right? I keep hoping)

The above is just a list of few that you would have met before. There are others that I either don't know closely to even remember their names (that's how often they make it to the gym), or the ones that you wouldn't know.
About 15 total.

And your example to the opposite in Cleveland? Me? Only? Can you think of even ONE more around here?

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #293 of 438 (4120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

please, with an utter lack of sarcasm, quote the places where i have vilified men as a whole.

In reply to:
I am sure that there are people who still treat women like they're some sort of man servants, but they are the minority, and obviously you're not married to one, so what does it matter???

1) your continuous statements that just because every specific case you've seen here is to the contrary, you seam to insist that this problem is endemic.

2) I grew up in ultra-liberal middle class suburbia NJ where the unitarian churches and reform temples out number the hardliner ones.

lena_chita

Feb 25, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #294 of 438 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

In reply to:
let's say i'm me, 10 years from now, and I have just finished weaning my 18 month old child.

Really, clausti, why wouldn't you? Couldn't you pick a 'nice climber' instead of that egg-headed professor of yours? History, of all things! And a former mormon -- What were you thinking?Crazy

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #295 of 438 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

oh, and your original question was "nice climber guy". this is a bit nitpicky, but maybe i wanted a nice climber girl? you didn't ask.

get off your high horse. You had men in all of your hypotheticals that you were placing yourself in so it is not a terrible stretch to think that you were a heterosexual female. Had you used an anon 3rd party woman in your hypothetical, I'd be much more likely to guess that you were a lesbian. They're called contexual clues. You don't have to go out and say Dumbledore is Gay to know that he is.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:24 PM
Post #296 of 438 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But did you also miss the fact that she had an older child who was old enough to baby-sit the younger ones, AND she lives 10 minutes away from a great outdoor climbing destinastion?

Can you compare a 10-minute trip in the car with kids to a 6 hour trip? An overnight camping trip with kids to a day trip where you DON'T have to pack all the parafernalia and you get to go home to your own shower and bed?

Why would you live in a place where you were more than an hour away from great climbing???? ;)

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #297 of 438 (4107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

In reply to:

1) your continuous statements that just because every specific case you've seen here is to the contrary, you seam to insist that this problem is endemic.

every case here, all, what 5? of them? yes, surely they disprove all other experience. if you want to say that i'm vilifying men, go back and give me an actual quote where i did it, otherwise, please try and keep the ad hominim statements ('you're just a man-hater') to a minimum, ok?

In reply to:
2) I grew up in ultra-liberal middle class suburbia NJ where the unitarian churches and reform temples out number the hardliner ones.

well MAYBE just MAYBE that experience is not universal. for example, i grew up in south carolina.

clausti

Feb 25, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #298 of 438 (4103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

get off your high horse. You had men in all of your hypotheticals that you were placing yourself in so it is not a terrible stretch to think that you were a heterosexual female. Had you used an anon 3rd party woman in your hypothetical, I'd be much more likely to guess that you were a lesbian. They're called contexual clues. You don't have to go out and say Dumbledore is Gay to know that he is.

get off your taking everything personal horse. that was a joke. christ.

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #299 of 438 (4101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I guess we just grew up in different worlds. Mine a world where women were equals with men, homosexuals were accepted, and churches didn't run your life and you......the opposite.

You have however confirmed my steriotypes of southerners and convinced me that I never want to live in the south!

desertwanderer81

Feb 25, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #300 of 438 (4097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nonono, I understand your hurt. I understand why you're acting out so strongly against these attitudes.

I once visited a college that I was accepted to in Charlston.....it was the Citadel. I've never experienced such racism and sexism in my life.

At 18 it litterally made my stomach upset.

People where you grew up are right next to the Taliban as far as backwards thinking goes.......

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook