Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Climbing and being a mom
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

desertwanderer81

Feb 26, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #326 of 438 (4819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I don't think I've seen any women here who have said their husbands go out climbing every weekend while they're stuck nursing the kid at home.

for the record, i know several guys who still go climbing (not as much but they still get to go outside a couple times a month) whereas their wives, who climbed before, NEVER get to go out.

lena_chita was the first woman i'd ever met who had kids and still climbed even close to what her husband did.

and my problem with the article was not that i don't think the author's situation ever happens and not that i think she's a "weak" woman or something for being in that situation, but that i was angry that it was presented as *inevitable* and the way things *SHALL BE* when you have kids. i object to being told how my life is gonna go by someone who doesn't know me and is making sweeping assumptions. And it was to me, personally. It was to me and to every female climber out there who is thinking about having kids.

To me, and I think to some other people, acceptance of the inevitability of inequality is tantamount to complicity in inequality. And to be told "oh you will too" just blows my fuse.

I can see how you, or anyone, have a problem with the "thou shalt not climb after childbirth" deally.

I do have one question though. Do your friends who have children envious of their husbands who are climbing more or are they climbing as much as they want? If the answer is the first, then they have no one to blame but themselves. I have yet to be in a relationship when the woman has not ultimately gotten her way, in just about everything ;)

I know the article gives reasons why they can't climb as much but I just don't buy into it. This is the 21st century afterall....

Must be due to a weak man then..

Where I originate from at least all the men I've known including my own boyfriends never let many women get their way, and would leave them if they didn't get their way.. even a friends husband of mine who could not handle his wife's progress at work and wanting to go for her commission. He said me or your job?
She chose her job, and he left her. She got her commission and met a rather handsome man in the same job too, and then her ex husband wanted her back and guess what?

He got the answer he deserved that's what Laugh

I am personally of the opinion that it takes a certain level of strength to have a partner who is an equal.

The insecure or weak person will either try to take complete control or give it up completely.

It's so much easier to take either extreme. It takes a lot of work to be an equal....but work that I think is worth it.

desertwanderer81

Feb 26, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #327 of 438 (4814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm younger and in my 20's and grew up in a liberal state that I see a different generation's views?

Or maybe I'm just blind to the sexist devide that exists. However as I said before, both partner's lifestyle are changed with the introduction of a wee one.

I don't think I've seen any women here who have said their husbands go out climbing every weekend while they're stuck nursing the kid at home.

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself. Read the Invisible Knapsack.

http://mmcisaac.faculty.asu.edu/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

One of the concepts is that men are taught not to recognize male privilege.

Clausti and clee03m said it better than I could. I don't object to the fact that for some women, climbing and motherhood are incompatible. I object to who sebs made it sound like that incompatibility is inevitable, and worse than that, if you don't recognize that climbing and motherhood are incompatible, you will make your kids miserable (again with the "bad mom" finger pointing).

This is an interesting concept. It's a double edged sword though, isn't it? If you acknoledge a steriotype, you give it power. It becomes a self fulfilling proficy. If you ignore it though, it can create damage that you're ignorant to.

Maybe that's why you have men talking so strongly against this idea as a whole? I myself am very pro-equality between the sexes and races. It personaly bothers me to acknoledge an inequality. Like, women and men should just work under the assumption that there is equality so that we don't fall into the routines of inequality. If we develop a culture where men and women and all races are concidered fundamentally equal, wouldn't that be much more benificial than the woe-is-me response?

My reaction to the article is that it is total BS from a time past. I personally believe that it is something that we should put down with vehemance. It might sound like I'm living in a fantasy world, but the world is what we make of it.

I say, don't tollerate these steriotypes. I say, if someone is trying to shove this kind of BS down your throat as fact, tell them that they are the ones that are behind the societal curve.

We have a responsibility to create a new world view. One where you are judged by the contents of our character and not our race or sex.

desertwanderer81

Feb 26, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #328 of 438 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I would not say this forum is an accurate profile of either men or the climbing community :p

Well this is true, same as any forum. I actually found women worse in the forces, for most join up for the men (not this woman I might add) and the men were not stupid nor blind to not see it, and as a result never went near those women, but those women used to give me a hard nasty time and make out I had loads of boyfriends in a not so nice way.. well yes I did have boy (friends) not lovers as they would only see it, and only as they joined up for that but did not get that, this is why they could only think and relate to it in their tunnel visioned way (as I saw it). The real reason I had so many male friends was 1. the reason you brought up, less biatchy there at least and I chose not to be around them due to that.
2. I was competitive in sports and not many of the women there could keep up, but the men tended to be more into my sports and vice-versa and I joined 1-2 RAF runners for long distance runs (which I don't do if I go alone as it is too boring), but they liked that I could keep up with them.

In nursing too, as it is mostly women, it shocked me at how biatchy it was at work, especially in nursing, you'd think the caring profession would not be that way, but wrong. Luckily I got a better impression of nursing in the forces, the nurses were nice and Officers were anyway, but what a difference when I left! Had I got my first impression outside the forces I'd likely not have gone into nursing having then gained a bad impression.

It's not all been bad though, I also worked with some equally lovely colleagues, but you always tend to get at least one trouble maker at least who sadly does tend to be a female I have noticed.

I am of the personal belief that if a woman can pass the same physical fitness and strengh standards that men pass, that they should be allowed to serve as front line infantry and combat troops.

desertwanderer81

Feb 26, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #329 of 438 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I'd say you have a pretty shitty husband then. Maybe you had found a neanderthal instead of a human being?

I am sorry that you hypothetically chose to marry a pig instead of a man but in all of the relationships I've been in my partner and I would bend over backwards for eachother and in the relationships of my friends with kids, they've stayed in for the weekend with the kids so the wife could have her "party night out with the girls" etc.

A better solution though would be to find a trusted friend or a baby sitter and maybe leave for the weekend with your hypothetical husband and climb together!

Ahem! Excuse me but.. You got any brothers?? Wink

Ha, sorry. Only one younger brother ;)

desertwanderer81

Feb 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #330 of 438 (4790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

3) You seam to be way too eager to vilify men despite all evidence to the contrary.

please, with an utter lack of sarcasm, quote the places where i have vilified men as a whole.

In reply to:
I am sure that there are people who still treat women like they're some sort of man servants, but they are the minority, and obviously you're not married to one, so what does it matter???

out of curiosity, where did you grow up?

1) your continuous statements that just because every specific case you've seen here is to the contrary, you seam to insist that this problem is endemic.

2) I grew up in ultra-liberal middle class suburbia NJ where the unitarian churches and reform temples out number the hardliner ones.

I do know for a fact that first part is true, there are some places where men treat women like man slaves.
We had a neighbour in the UK who clearly couldn't find a girlfriend (to put up with him) I say that, as he went to the far east to marry a girl there and bring her back to the UK, well most guys that did that did so as they liked their traditional ways of cooking, cleaning, (servant around the house for the male) basically, and it was obvious to quite a lot of us what he was up to..

So I do not disbelieve for a minute that this still happens, and what about the underpaid live- in fillipino child minders? They too are treated as slaves in a way, given a petty wage, don't really get a life of their own, in exchange for free bed and board they have to take care of the kids and at times housework too.

I know for a fact that it happens, but how frequently does it happen? Climbers as a whole, tend to be a more forward thinking community. My guess, although I have no way of actually confirming this, is that there are even less of these outdated attitudes. My guess is that both men and women tend to be much more feminist and equality oriented than the rest of the population. I am sure there are some masogonists around here and there, but again, my guess is that they're the vast minority.

As a result, my guess is that a woman is climbing less than her husband when they have kids, it is either because of pressures from their fellow ladyfolk or because that is what they want to do.

Either way, you need to set your priorities. I have seldom let society dictate what I do unless it will have a direct impact on me (I do tend to wear pants in public because I don't want to get arrested!). The point being though is that we have our own minds and need to use them. These people making these judgements are clearly using outdated value systems and the validity of their statements are weak. So screw them. Make your own choice and go with it.

PS I'm not directing this at you, just using it as a step-off point to rant ;)

clee03m

Feb 27, 2009, 1:52 AM
Post #331 of 438 (4782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
But gender has everything to do with the kind of pressures you WILL have to face -- from people around you.

All I am saying is that you will be facing a harder time than a male in this situation because of your gender -- NOT that you would be making YOUR decision based on gender.

Your husband may be supportive, your parents may even be supportive, but you would hear things from other women. From other parents. From random strangers. Things that a guy in your situation would never have to hear. Things that would make you feel bad, even though you are convinced that you are making the right choice. (surely you understand this, given the "ego" thread)

Three disagreements from what you've said. Actually, the only way other people's comments bother me is if I have an insecurity to begin with. I clearly don't have an issue or an insecurity regarding gender equality. [read: ranting and raving feminist] So, I really don't think anyone who tries to mouth off to me will have any affect other than annoyance. i certainly won't stop climbing for them. Also, i have always said that having kids may mean that i may have to cut back on climbing. So i am not sure where you get that i have unrealistic expectations regarding how much time it takes to have kids. I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but for me, cutting back on climbing won't be a gender issue. Lastly, i don't know how much of what you talk about is out there. It's definately an issue. All i'm saying is that the defeatist attitude is not helpful.

lena_chita

Feb 27, 2009, 2:36 AM
Post #332 of 438 (4780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Three disagreements from what you've said. Actually, the only way other people's comments bother me is if I have an insecurity to begin with. I clearly don't have an issue or an insecurity regarding gender equality. [read: ranting and raving feminist] So, I really don't think anyone who tries to mouth off to me will have any affect other than annoyance. i certainly won't stop climbing for them. Also, i have always said that having kids may mean that i may have to cut back on climbing. So i am not sure where you get that i have unrealistic expectations regarding how much time it takes to have kids. I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but for me, cutting back on climbing won't be a gender issue. Lastly, i don't know how much of what you talk about is out there. It's definately an issue. All i'm saying is that the defeatist attitude is not helpful.

I agree that defeatist attitude is not helpful and i have said that the article was defeatist and I would have liked to see a different one, something that showed how things were possible instead of complaining about how things were hard. But even though i don't agree with the attitude, I understand where Seb is coming from.

Your expectations are yours, and only you would be able to look back 10-15 years from now and see how they agree or differ from reality. My opinion on it doesn't really matter, though I still have one.

And comments not bothering you and feeling secure about your choices -- that is an attitude worth cultivating. No disagreement from me on this. But comments don't always come in clearly labeled separate issues. One of the comments from the other thread was about finding a "girl to round up the climbing group". It clearly rattled you-- it was about climbing abilities, but it was about gender, too, and assumptions of which gender is a weaker one for climbing, you know? You may be secure in your feminist role, but as a new parent you may not be secure about the parenting decisions you make, in case something doesn't go quite as you expected and you are second-guessing yourself-- and bingo, someone's comment about you as a mother all of a sudden finds a mark b/c your role as a woman and your role as a mother become intertwined.

I am not really trying to argue with you. I think the article was good, if only because it started an interesting discussion, KWIM?

rockie

Feb 27, 2009, 3:31 AM
Post #333 of 438 (4775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I would not say this forum is an accurate profile of either men or the climbing community :p

Well this is true, ...
but you always tend to get at least one trouble maker at least who sadly does tend to be a female I have noticed.

I am of the personal belief that if a woman can pass the same physical fitness and strengh standards that men pass, that they should be allowed to serve as front line infantry and combat troops.

Yer but who'd want to do that??

That's a man's job!! Laugh

Wink

Sorry but you won't catch me joining our army, it's true you are treated like a man and not a lady.. (a big comparison between our British Army and our British Air Force by the way).. same as women in the RAF do not end up on the front line - and that is the RAF in general. (I am pleased to say, personally speaking). The army do go to the front line.
However, you tend to find men who do are men that want to go to eg. Afghanisthan, and it applies to both the Army, Navy, and Air Force etc.. most men join to defend the country and commonly I will hear, "This is what I joined for"... not a fear and I never heard one "I don't want to go!"

(This post was edited by rockie on Feb 27, 2009, 3:33 AM)

rockie

Feb 27, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #334 of 438 (4769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
I'd say you have a pretty shitty husband then. Maybe you had found a neanderthal instead of a human being?

I am sorry that you hypothetically chose to marry a pig instead of a man but in all of the relationships I've been in my partner and I would bend over backwards for eachother and in the relationships of my friends with kids, they've stayed in for the weekend with the kids so the wife could have her "party night out with the girls" etc.

A better solution though would be to find a trusted friend or a baby sitter and maybe leave for the weekend with your hypothetical husband and climb together!

Heh! Shame..
he's probably too young for me too, and too far away, I am not into long distance relationships.

rockie

Feb 27, 2009, 3:40 AM
Post #335 of 438 (4766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

3) You seam to be way too eager to vilify men despite all evidence to the contrary.

please, with an utter lack of sarcasm, quote the places where i have vilified men as a whole.

In reply to:
I am sure that there are people who still treat women like they're some sort of man servants, but they are the minority, and obviously you're not married to one, so what does it matter???

1) your continuous statements that just because every specific case you've seen here is to the contrary, you seam to insist that this problem is endemic.

2) I grew up in ultra-liberal middle class suburbia NJ where the unitarian churches and reform temples out number the hardliner ones.

I do know for a fact that first part is true, there are some places where men treat women like man slaves.
We had a neighbour in the UK who clearly couldn't find a girlfriend (to put up with him) I say that, as he went to the far east to marry a girl there and bring her back to the UK, well most guys that did that did so as they liked their traditional ways of cooking, cleaning, (servant around the house for the male) basically, and it was obvious to quite a lot of us what he was up to..

So I do not disbelieve for a minute that this still happens, and what about the underpaid live- in fillipino child minders? They too are treated as slaves in a way, given a petty wage, don't really get a life of their own, in exchange for free bed and board they have to take care of the kids and at times housework too.

Either way, you need to set your priorities. I have seldom let society dictate what I do unless it will have a direct impact on me (I do tend to wear pants in public because I don't want to get arrested!)...

You know you can get away with that publically on the nudist beach!

You won't catch me there, I got tricked into that last year and was told I was going to a private beach, had never been there before.. so you can imagine the nasty surprise I got when I did get there.. older men and not pleasant I can tell you.. my reaction was, "I don't want to swim here"...

desertwanderer81

Feb 27, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #336 of 438 (4764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Well this is true, ...
but you always tend to get at least one trouble maker at least who sadly does tend to be a female I have noticed.

Yer but who'd want to do that??

That's a man's job!! Laugh

Wink

Sorry but you won't catch me joining our army, it's true you are treated like a man and not a lady.. (a big comparison between our British Army and our British Air Force by the way).. same as women in the RAF do not end up on the front line - and that is the RAF in general. (I am pleased to say, personally speaking). The army do go to the front line.
However, you tend to find men who do are men that want to go to eg. Afghanisthan, and it applies to both the Army, Navy, and Air Force etc.. most men join to defend the country and commonly I will hear, "This is what I joined for"... not a fear and I never heard one "I don't want to go!"

Ya know, I almost ended up on the front lines as a Marine. Luckily though I got medically discharged before that happened. In retrospect I am rather glad I didn't end up serving. At 18 of course I was all gung ho, but since then I've mellowed out quite a bit.

And I knew quite a few women who would have served on the front lines if given the chance. Like I said, you should get the chance to do it, if you want ;)

desertwanderer81

Feb 27, 2009, 3:44 AM
Post #337 of 438 (4762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Heh! Shame..
he's probably too young for me too, and too far away, I am not into long distance relationships.

Ha, is China too far? And judging by your pictuers you couldn't be more than 30! That's not that much older!

desertwanderer81

Feb 27, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #338 of 438 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

In reply to:

Either way, you need to set your priorities. I have seldom let society dictate what I do unless it will have a direct impact on me (I do tend to wear pants in public because I don't want to get arrested!)...

You know you can get away with that publically on the nudist beach!

You won't catch me there, I got tricked into that last year and was told I was going to a private beach, had never been there before.. so you can imagine the nasty surprise I got when I did get there.. older men and not pleasant I can tell you.. my reaction was, "I don't want to swim here"...

lol. My high school was very close to the ocean and the only way to get to one of NJ's only nude beaches was to walk right through our campus......

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

xgretax

Feb 27, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #339 of 438 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

And comments not bothering you and feeling secure about your choices -- that is an attitude worth cultivating. No disagreement from me on this. But comments don't always come in clearly labeled separate issues. One of the comments from the other thread was about finding a "girl to round up the climbing group". It clearly rattled you-- it was about climbing abilities, but it was about gender, too, and assumptions of which gender is a weaker one for climbing, you know? You may be secure in your feminist role, but as a new parent you may not be secure about the parenting decisions you make, in case something doesn't go quite as you expected and you are second-guessing yourself-- and bingo, someone's comment about you as a mother all of a sudden finds a mark b/c your role as a woman and your role as a mother become intertwined.

I picked up on the climbing ability/gender part too, hence my previous posts about my gender not affecting certain things, but rather situations that present themselves.

And as for the last part of the above paragraph--I whole-heartedly agree. I considered myself a pretty confident person at one time and then bammmm! Once I entered parenthood, issues, beliefs, or ideas that were once clear became pretty damn muddy and morphed together. As a result, I started second guessing myself a lot; no matter if was something that popped into my head totally unprompted or if it was something with some external influence, like local social underpinnings. I suspect that this is also a result of my analytical nature. It's something that I'm adjusting to, but it was really hard at first.

lena_chita

Feb 27, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #340 of 438 (4720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xgretax] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
I considered myself a pretty confident person at one time and then bammmm! Once I entered parenthood, issues, beliefs, or ideas that were once clear became pretty damn muddy and morphed together. As a result, I started second guessing myself a lot; no matter if was something that popped into my head totally unprompted or if it was something with some external influence, like local social underpinnings. I suspect that this is also a result of my analytical nature. It's something that I'm adjusting to, but it was really hard at first.

Someone told me a long time ago, before kids: once you have a child, it will be the last time in your life that you will have all the answers.

I didn't realize how true it was until I got there.

Not that I ever claimed that I knew all the answers, but I was very confident about a lot of things. Too bad nobody informed my children of those things.

rockie

Feb 28, 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #341 of 438 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Heh! Shame..

Ha, is China too far? And judging by your pictuers you couldn't be more than 30! That's not that much older!

Luckily I've always looked younger than I am so have tended to attract my own age or younger, he he..

But yes.. China is too far.. and besides I like it here Wink

rockie

Feb 28, 2009, 1:34 AM
Post #342 of 438 (4702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
xgretax wrote:
I considered myself a pretty confident person at one time and then bammmm! Once I entered parenthood, issues, beliefs, or ideas that were once clear became pretty damn muddy and morphed together. As a result, I started second guessing myself a lot; no matter if was something that popped into my head totally unprompted or if it was something with some external influence, like local social underpinnings. I suspect that this is also a result of my analytical nature. It's something that I'm adjusting to, but it was really hard at first.

Someone told me a long time ago, before kids: once you have a child, it will be the last time in your life that you will have all the answers.

Not that I ever claimed that I knew all the answers, but I was very confident about a lot of things. Too bad nobody informed my children of those things.

Well I always thought parents were meant to guide their children and discipline them, not let them take control of you and 'know' all the answers, when they don't if they are still growing up...

you learn alot from older adults, older, wise, and more worldly wide.. that's where you will find the most people with all the answers..

lena_chita

Feb 28, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #343 of 438 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
xgretax wrote:

Well I always thought parents were meant to guide their children and discipline them, not let them take control of you and 'know' all the answers, when they don't if they are still growing up...

This is exactly what I mean about being confident and "knowing the answers". You know what the parents are supposed to do, right? I did, too. Smile

rockie wrote:
you learn alot from older adults, older, wise, and more worldly wide.. that's where you will find the most people with all the answers..

True, you learn a lot from people who have been in your shoes before and lived through it. But the older wiser adults usually tell you that there is no right answer, there are many answers, and you need to figure the right one for you.

xgretax

Feb 28, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #344 of 438 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:

No, this isn't what I meant. I was talking about entirely personal ideologies (knowing or thinking things for yourself) and what happens to them once you make the transition from the single-self to the mother-child being (holy newagey!). To oversimplify, for myself only, I began to question them all, if they still represented who I was and if they were compatible with guiding a wee one through life. Hence the, "damn muddy and morphed together. As a result, I started second guessing myself a lot" comment.

When my daughter was born, I lifted her out of the water. She lifted her head (yes, she did) and looked at me with very strong, intent eyes. This event confirmed what I had suspected throughout the pregnancy...the little one was (and is) strong willed. There's no way in hell I'll ever be able to have any answers for her, she already has own. And that's fine by me.

rockie

Feb 28, 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #345 of 438 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xgretax] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xgretax wrote:
rockie wrote:

No, this isn't what I meant. I was talking about entirely personal ideologies (knowing or thinking things for yourself) and what happens to them once you make the transition from the single-self to the mother-child being (holy newagey!). To oversimplify, for myself only, I began to question them all, if they still represented who I was and if they were compatible with guiding a wee one through life. Hence the, "damn muddy and morphed together. As a result, I started second guessing myself a lot" comment.

When my daughter was born, I lifted her out of the water. She lifted her head (yes, she did) and looked at me with very strong, intent eyes. This event confirmed what I had suspected throughout the pregnancy...the little one was (and is) strong willed. There's no way in hell I'll ever be able to have any answers for her, she already has own. And that's fine by me.

Heh, she and I have something in common Wink

(This post was edited by rockie on Feb 28, 2009, 9:00 PM)

lhwang

Mar 2, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #346 of 438 (4607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
lhwang wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm younger and in my 20's and grew up in a liberal state that I see a different generation's views?

Or maybe I'm just blind to the sexist devide that exists. However as I said before, both partner's lifestyle are changed with the introduction of a wee one.

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself. Read the Invisible Knapsack.

http://mmcisaac.faculty.asu.edu/emc598ge/Unpacking.html

One of the concepts is that men are taught not to recognize male privilege.

Clausti and clee03m said it better than I could. I don't object to the fact that for some women, climbing and motherhood are incompatible. I object to who sebs made it sound like that incompatibility is inevitable, and worse than that, if you don't recognize that climbing and motherhood are incompatible, you will make your kids miserable (again with the "bad mom" finger pointing).

This is an interesting concept. It's a double edged sword though, isn't it? If you acknoledge a steriotype, you give it power. It becomes a self fulfilling proficy. If you ignore it though, it can create damage that you're ignorant to.

Maybe that's why you have men talking so strongly against this idea as a whole? I myself am very pro-equality between the sexes and races. It personaly bothers me to acknoledge an inequality. Like, women and men should just work under the assumption that there is equality so that we don't fall into the routines of inequality. If we develop a culture where men and women and all races are concidered fundamentally equal, wouldn't that be much more benificial than the woe-is-me response?

My reaction to the article is that it is total BS from a time past. I personally believe that it is something that we should put down with vehemance. It might sound like I'm living in a fantasy world, but the world is what we make of it.

I say, don't tollerate these steriotypes. I say, if someone is trying to shove this kind of BS down your throat as fact, tell them that they are the ones that are behind the societal curve.

We have a responsibility to create a new world view. One where you are judged by the contents of our character and not our race or sex.

I think it's necessary to acknowledge a stereotype in order to act against it. I also think it's possible to confront a stereotype in a productive way. Whining or woe-is-me is not productive. You can't do anything if you're not aware. In fact I'd say that if you're not aware, you're be much more likely to "fall into a routine of inequality."

I don't know how you can go about saying that there's equality in the world when women in the U.S. still only earn 78 cents on average while men earn a dollar. Or when women have their rights to abortion/birth control challenged on a regular basis (see South Dakota). Or when HIV infection, which has been dropping in virtually every demographic, continues to skyrocket in women. Or when insurance companies cover viagra, but not women's contraception. Or when my mother, who is a successful small business owner, goes to the bank to ask for a second loan to start a second business and is fucking told that she needs her husband to co-sign (yeah, she gave him an earful and then went somewhere else).

I agree that you have to be the change you wish to see. But you can't really do that effectively unless you're aware of what needs to be changed.

desertwanderer81

Mar 2, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #347 of 438 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a fair statement, and I think I can sign on to it, but I have one problem. People acknowledge inequalities and then proceed to lay the blame of all of their problems on these inequalities and allow them to happen again and again.

As for abortion/BC, I absolutely agree that women should have the right to make that choice for themselves, but I see this as more of a religious nutjobs vs secular people than a woman's rights issue.

I also don't see any correlation between AIDS infection rates and inequality....

staci

Mar 3, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #348 of 438 (4551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow..Just to set the record strait . I did not have my 13 year old son babysit 4 young children. That would not be fair to anyone. I did have to hire a sitter or take them with me. At the time that I started climbing I was a single parent with 4 kids. so, you are right I did not go from being a climber with no kids to a climber with kids. Climbing with kids is not something new , it a way of life. I did marry a climber ten years ago and he the reason that I am able to climb like I do. My husband not only supports my climbing but helps to make it happen. I think that I am a lot older then a lot of the moms and moms to be that are on this blog. I am 47 years old and have been raising young kids for 24 years. I have been a climbing mom for 11 years. Three of my kids a grown and married, with their kids. It is fun to watch my son, (who by the way is an RN) raise his own daughter and support her climbing. I do still have 2 kids at home 11 and 16, they are both climbers, one is a member of the USA national team. Lucky for me they both want to go climbing most days. I guess what I am trying to say is that Susans article in Climbing mag. was upsetting. I do know that motherhood and climbing can go together beautifully, I have done it for 11 years with 5 kids. I also know , since some of my kids are adults now, that they have benifitted from the climbing lifestyle that I have chosen. I am also lucky to have a lot of sport climbing, trad climbing, bouldering and a good gym close to my house. I guess the discussion about if moms should climb will go on forever, just like the debates over breast/bottle, job/stay at home, or homeschool/public school, the list goes on and on. Every mom will have to make her own choices about her climbing and her parenting..For me I am happy to be a mom and a climber. Climb on!

clausti

Mar 3, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #349 of 438 (4547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [staci] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

staci wrote:
wow..Just to set the record strait . I did not have my 13 year old son babysit 4 young children. That would not be fair to anyone.

I certainly didn't point out that you had a 13 year old to be critical. I have three siblings: one younger sister, one older sister, and an oldest brother. And he was definitely watching us for periods of time by 13. I babysat from infants to 8 or 9 year olds by the time I was 13.

The difference between having only very small children or both small and older children when you're climbing, would seem to be that you can't climb with only 2 adults and small children, because you have no one to IMMEDIATELY respond to the small child when both adults are climbing. on the other hand, if the 13 year old is hanging out, and the baby needs something stat, it would seem like the 13 year old could hang with it for a minute or two until the climber lowered and came off belay.

Your ideas of fairness or not and your system are obviously up to you, but yeah, it was not my intention to be disparaging towards the idea of a 13 helping with smaller kids.

clee03m

Mar 4, 2009, 9:54 AM
Post #350 of 438 (4517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

There is a difference between having your ego wounded (climbing ability) and feeling angry annoyance (sexist remark). There is a world of difference between feeling angry annoyance and letting sexist comments affect your parenting. Will I feel secure in every aspects of parenthood? No. Do I know with certainty that I will feel the need to set an example to my children regarding feminism? Absolutely. If there was any doubt regarding my ability to show my children an absolutely gender equitable home, I would not be having any children. I feel that strongly about it.

I don't like the article. Starting this discussion does not justify sexism I see in it.

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook