Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Climbing and being a mom
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

obsessed

Mar 4, 2009, 4:43 PM
Post #351 of 438 (4830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
There's an article in Climbing this month called "8 confessions of a climbing mom", the conclusions of which state:

"1) Climbing and motherhood are pretty much incompatible, and 2) if your life's goal, now and later, is to climb as much as possible, you probably shouldn't become a mom-odds are high you'll be miserable, and so will your children."

Ouch. Harsh.

Now, I'm not a mom so I will readily admit that I don't know what it's like to try to balance climbing and motherhood. I'm really hopeful though that my husband and I will be like Don and Phyl Munday, who had a kid and still managed to do tons of first ascents in B.C., and that other people won't judge me saying that I'm making my kids miserable.

It pisses me off that you would never see an article like this written by a man. "8 confessions of a climbing dad", or "Climbing and fatherhood are incompatible". Why do women allow themselves to get sucked into this stupid guilt game, and go around pointing the "You're a bad mom" finger?

Anyway, any thoughts? Especially from climbing dads and climbing moms...

(and yes I remember a similar discussion about breastfeeding at the crag a long time ago... thought I would start a new thread though related to the article).
I have only read bits of this thread so I'm sorry if I am repeating. I didn't start climbing until my two kids were about 8 and 10. I have often thought to myself "if I started climbing when I was much younger, before kids, would I have had them?" Well of course now that I have them i would never see it any other way....but I am not so sure my life would have went the same way had I found climbing first.

That being said, I do struggle with the balance of kids and climbing. My daughter plays competitive hockey for 10 months of the year. I enjoy watching her play and when I do make the decision to climb instead of go to a game I feel like I am missing part of her life. It won't be long until she will have her own life and I will no longer have to juggle family and sport. I don't want to regret missing that.

My husband is supportive and pushes me to go climb when I struggle with should I or shouldn't I? He doesn't climb so it makes it easier in that respect. But does he have the same guilt and same struggles when he takes time for himself. No, I'm sure he doesn't. Why? Because he doesn't have the same emotional make up. Although thinking of it, he doesn't miss any hockey games and he is always the one to drive her to practices. But if he could go golf in the winter instead of hockey, I'm sure he would! No guilt involved. Again, its the emotional make up. Men are more logical women are emotional. I am sure I will get bashed a bit for these comments, but its the truth. Maybe that is the reason that there wasn't an article about fatherhood and climbing being incompatible.

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 6:41 PM
Post #352 of 438 (4779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [staci] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

staci wrote:
wow..Just to set the record strait . I did not have my 13 year old son babysit 4 young children. That would not be fair to anyone. I did have to hire a sitter or take them with me. At the time that I started climbing I was a single parent with 4 kids. so, you are right I did not go from being a climber with no kids to a climber with kids. Climbing with kids is not something new , it a way of life. I did marry a climber ten years ago and he the reason that I am able to climb like I do. My husband not only supports my climbing but helps to make it happen. I think that I am a lot older then a lot of the moms and moms to be that are on this blog. I am 47 years old and have been raising young kids for 24 years. I have been a climbing mom for 11 years. Three of my kids a grown and married, with their kids. It is fun to watch my son, (who by the way is an RN) raise his own daughter and support her climbing. I do still have 2 kids at home 11 and 16, they are both climbers, one is a member of the USA national team. Lucky for me they both want to go climbing most days. I guess what I am trying to say is that Susans article in Climbing mag. was upsetting. I do know that motherhood and climbing can go together beautifully, I have done it for 11 years with 5 kids. I also know , since some of my kids are adults now, that they have benifitted from the climbing lifestyle that I have chosen. I am also lucky to have a lot of sport climbing, trad climbing, bouldering and a good gym close to my house. I guess the discussion about if moms should climb will go on forever, just like the debates over breast/bottle, job/stay at home, or homeschool/public school, the list goes on and on. Every mom will have to make her own choices about her climbing and her parenting..For me I am happy to be a mom and a climber. Climb on!

You absolutely rock! I love seeing the independant nature of "I will make it work" attitude that you present.

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #353 of 438 (4774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obsessed] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

obsessed wrote:
Again, its the emotional make up. Men are more logical women are emotional. I am sure I will get bashed a bit for these comments, but its the truth. Maybe that is the reason that there wasn't an article about fatherhood and climbing being incompatible.

I would phrase it that men are more prone to a logical nature while women are more prone to an emotional nature. Which is to say that the varience within each sex is much greater than the average differences between the sexes. However this is not to say that the differences still do not exist. These differences are actually most biological.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/

Radio lab does several fantastic pieces on this topic.
(I really wish I could remember which episode this was....)

For instance the way a man's brain is built, his stress levels will typically rise much more quickly than a woman's but at the same time his stress levels go down much more quickly. I believe that this gives the illusion that men are more logical and women more emotional. A man might be quick to rage but as soon as the situation is over, he goes back to his normal levels. A woman on the other hand might hold onto this emotion longer.

Scientists have theorised that this is due to evolution within a hunter/gatherer society.

However as a disclaimer I should reiterate that I do not believe that this difference is shows one sex as "superior" as both traits have their advantages in different situations nor do I believe that this absolutely means that men will always be (A) while women will always be (B). Ultimately we as human beings are influenced strongly by our bio-chemical programming but we are not slaves to it.

clausti

Mar 5, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #354 of 438 (4763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
obsessed wrote:
Again, its the emotional make up. Men are more logical women are emotional. I am sure I will get bashed a bit for these comments, but its the truth. Maybe that is the reason that there wasn't an article about fatherhood and climbing being incompatible.

I would phrase it that men are more prone to a logical nature while women are more prone to an emotional nature. Which is to say that the varience within each sex is much greater than the average differences between the sexes. However this is not to say that the differences still do not exist. These differences are actually most biological.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/

Radio lab does several fantastic pieces on this topic.
(I really wish I could remember which episode this was....)

For instance the way a man's brain is built, his stress levels will typically rise much more quickly than a woman's but at the same time his stress levels go down much more quickly. I believe that this gives the illusion that men are more logical and women more emotional. A man might be quick to rage but as soon as the situation is over, he goes back to his normal levels. A woman on the other hand might hold onto this emotion longer.

Scientists have theorised that this is due to evolution within a hunter/gatherer society.

However as a disclaimer I should reiterate that I do not believe that this difference is shows one sex as "superior" as both traits have their advantages in different situations nor do I believe that this absolutely means that men will always be (A) while women will always be (B). Ultimately we as human beings are influenced strongly by our bio-chemical programming but we are not slaves to it.

and yet the only one accused of being spock in this thread is....

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #355 of 438 (4758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When was I accused of being Spock? Heh, Spock was my hero growing up.....this really disturbed my parents when I told them...heh.

I am an engineer.....I typically believe that the entire universe can be expressed in one giant differential equation....we just haven't gotten to that point yet so we try to write our equations for simple situations in the mean time ;)

Anyhow, my point was that there are bio-chemical differences between men and women but to let them control you to an ends which you don't want is just stupid.

clausti

Mar 5, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #356 of 438 (4751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
When was I accused of being Spock? Heh, Spock was my hero growing up.....this really disturbed my parents when I told them...heh.

I am an engineer.....I typically believe that the entire universe can be expressed in one giant differential equation....we just haven't gotten to that point yet so we try to write our equations for simple situations in the mean time ;)

Anyhow, my point was that there are bio-chemical differences between men and women but to let them control you to an ends which you don't want is just stupid.

um, not you [expletive deleted for ladiesroom sensibility]-wit. me. i was the one accused of being spocklike and expecting others to also be spocklike.

as, i think, you yourself said, the range of differences within the genders is greater then the average difference between the genders. and it is. the difference among a gender is greater than the difference between them. in-utero hormone levels probably have a greater affect on brain structure than just chromosomal status.

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #357 of 438 (4744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not read that part where someone accused you of that or if I did, I skimmed over it. However you strike me as being overly emotional and illogical compared to others at least with respect to this topic.

But then again you come from the south....so I would be too if I experienced that enviroment growing up.

clausti

Mar 5, 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #358 of 438 (4743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
I did not read that part where someone accused you of that or if I did, I skimmed over it. However you strike me as being overly emotional and illogical compared to others at least with respect to this topic.

But then again you come from the south....so I would be too if I experienced that enviroment growing up.

nevermind, i should have just called you a fuckwit in the first place.

aerili

Mar 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #359 of 438 (4737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know "who" to respond to in this thread anymore (!!), but I just thought I would post a link from another climbing forum on essentially the same topic, specifically one which a few of you were talking about earlier: climbing and bringing the kids/being a parent as a climber.

Most of the people posting are men, so I thought some of you might be interested in reading some of their thoughts!

You will notice that many of them do express a lot of similar thoughts, feelings, emotions, adjustments, etc. as the women here.

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #360 of 438 (4735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You say that like "[expletive deleted for ladiesroom sensibility]-wit" is much better.

You got the response you were trolling for. Now you can feel self rightious that the big bad man said mean things to you. It's a lot easier to blow someone off rather than actually looking at your own self pity fest.

There are many independent and liberated women who have posted on this thread, but from the way you write, you sound like if you have children you hope your husband allows you to climb. You seam stuck in a time 50 years ago where women (at least on TV, I know at least my grandmother tended to run the show) were subservent to men. This to me is completely illogical. You seam stuck in an overly emotional response because by your own admission, this will never be a personal problem for you if you choose to have children.

Partner camhead

Mar 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #361 of 438 (4739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

clausti is actually very emotional AND coldly logical. That's why it's so frustrating to get into arguments with her. But I still love her just the same, for some reason.Smile

desertwanderer81

Mar 5, 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #362 of 438 (4735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
I don't know "who" to respond to in this thread anymore (!!), but I just thought I would post a link from another climbing forum on essentially the same topic, specifically one which a few of you were talking about earlier: climbing and bringing the kids/being a parent as a climber.

Most of the people posting are men, so I thought some of you might be interested in reading some of their thoughts!

You will notice that many of them do express a lot of similar thoughts, feelings, emotions, adjustments, etc. as the women here.

Looks to me like the overwhelming response was that no matter your sex, being a parent will limit your climbing unless you find a babysitter. Heh, I can't imagine doing multipitch with a baby on the ground, that's just crazy :p

clausti

Mar 5, 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #363 of 438 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

clausti is actually very emotional AND coldly logical. That's why it's so frustrating to get into arguments with her. But I still love her just the same, for some reason.Smile

you better watch out, i might trip on my proofs and premises and get my self-pity women's studies claws stuck right in you!!

(This post was edited by clausti on Mar 5, 2009, 10:58 PM)

lena_chita

Mar 5, 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #364 of 438 (4724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

obsessed wrote:
I have only read bits of this thread so I'm sorry if I am repeating. I didn't start climbing until my two kids were about 8 and 10. I have often thought to myself "if I started climbing when I was much younger, before kids, would I have had them?" Well of course now that I have them i would never see it any other way....but I am not so sure my life would have went the same way had I found climbing first..

Me too. I too have started climbing after I had kids, and I think I would not have had kids at 25 if I were a climber back then.

obsessed wrote:
That being said, I do struggle with the balance of kids and climbing. My daughter plays competitive hockey for 10 months of the year. I enjoy watching her play and when I do make the decision to climb instead of go to a game I feel like I am missing part of her life. It won't be long until she will have her own life and I will no longer have to juggle family and sport. I don't want to regret missing that.

Yep.

obsessed wrote:
My husband is supportive and pushes me to go climb when I struggle with should I or shouldn't I? He doesn't climb so it makes it easier in that respect. But does he have the same guilt and same struggles when he takes time for himself. No, I'm sure he doesn't. Why? Because he doesn't have the same emotional make up. Although thinking of it, he doesn't miss any hockey games and he is always the one to drive her to practices. But if he could go golf in the winter instead of hockey, I'm sure he would! No guilt involved. Again, its the emotional make up. Men are more logical women are emotional. I am sure I will get bashed a bit for these comments, but its the truth. Maybe that is the reason that there wasn't an article about fatherhood and climbing being incompatible.

My husband climbs. Otherwise, that's my story, too, though guesses as to the reason behind it are just guesses.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 6, 2009, 1:42 AM
Post #365 of 438 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First, let me set my perspective:
I have been with my lovely wife for 20+ years; we have two children 8 and 3; I am a n00b who is lucky to be able to pull 5.9 in a gym; my wife and I talk about climbing as a growing activity in our life and how we will continue to balance it. She started at the same time as I did, both of us over 40. Damn that sounds old.

I read the article, out loud and substituted the male pronouns for the female ones. There were clearly some instances in the article that played on current societal gender stereotypes. At first it annoyed me, but when I read it a second time, I accepted them as the author reflecting the prevailing societal norms. She didn’t seem to me to be espousing them, but reflecting the “average” behavior. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I agree with her that those are the “averages”.

One can live “average”, but you don’t have to live that way. I don’t. My priorities are: my wife, my kids, my job, and finally hobbies - in that order. I grew up playing golf and video games. I do neither now on any regular basis. Golf takes me away from my family. Yes, we do play sometimes as a family, but I don’t leave for 5 hours every Saturday to play (like I did before kids). I don’t play video games, except for educational ones together with my kids. You see, we are radical, we do our hobbies as a family.

I don’t drop my son off at tae kwon do, I go with him, and I joined (again over 40) and stand at the back of the class (as the junior belt) and participate with him. As soon as the youngest is old enough to, she will also join in, as will my wife. (But I think she may do Krav instead).

Just as we reject the assumption that the goal of climbing is to become, or to have our children become, world class climbers, we reject the assumption that fun can only be achieved in a selfish manner. I have more of this, but you’ll have to forgive me, I have to go. It is TKD night, and I need to work the kinks out of my shoulders from last night’s climbing while being the biggest “kid” in the class.

granite_grrl

Mar 6, 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #366 of 438 (4678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:

And let me guess, you just graduated engineering and you still think that engineers are some of the most special and smart people out there. But below is the truth......

....The majority of engineers are socially stupid. Good at book smarts, but don't always know what's going on in the real world. You seem to fit that to a tee.

desertwanderer81

Mar 6, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #367 of 438 (4669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

And let me guess, you just graduated engineering and you still think that engineers are some of the most special and smart people out there. But below is the truth......

....The majority of engineers are socially stupid. Good at book smarts, but don't always know what's going on in the real world. You seem to fit that to a tee.

Nope, been an engineer for almost 5 years now. And engineering is exactly about knowing what is going on in the real world..... However I would go to the point of saying that new-engineering graduates know very little about said world. The more experienced I get, the more I learn I don't actually know ;)

rmsusa

Mar 6, 2009, 8:29 PM
Post #368 of 438 (4648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Nope, been an engineer for almost 5 years now. And engineering is exactly about knowing what is going on in the real world.....

Indeed! Knowing about what's going on in the measurable, physical part of the world is what being an engineer is all about.

On the other hand, he whole unquantifiable social universe is not, typically, where the engineering brain has its most brilliant cognitive insights.

Some of the financial mess we're in right now is due to engineers becoming so seduced by the math that they thought they could predict the future of a complex social system (finance).

desertwanderer81

Mar 6, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #369 of 438 (4643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
...Nope, been an engineer for almost 5 years now. And engineering is exactly about knowing what is going on in the real world.....

Indeed! Knowing about what's going on in the measurable, physical part of the world is what being an engineer is all about.

On the other hand, he whole unquantifiable social universe is not, typically, where the engineering brain has its most brilliant cognitive insights.

Some of the financial mess we're in right now is due to engineers becoming so seduced by the math that they thought they could predict the future of a complex social system (finance).

Just because we're currently ignorant of what the equations are, doesn't mean they don't exist ;) It's the way the world works. Call it divine. Call it a beautiful coincidence. It's still how the world works.

And pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing. People made the very poor/greedy assumption that the market would never go down. Especially bad concidering the fact that the housing markets have crashed many times in the past.....

tavs

Mar 7, 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #370 of 438 (4630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Just because we're currently ignorant of what the equations are, doesn't mean they don't exist ;) It's the way the world works. Call it divine. Call it a beautiful coincidence. It's still how the world works.

And pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing. People made the very poor/greedy assumption that the market would never go down. Especially bad concidering the fact that the housing markets have crashed many times in the past.....

Ahh, and if only we did know what we were doing, right? If only we'd found that nice equation that can predict human behavior? All of us poor social "scientists" are just waiting for the wonderful engineers to come and figure out the human for us. Cripes, even much of the hard sciences (physics anyone?) seemed to have moved beyond this simplistic way of looking at the world. Please--stick to machines, stay out of my brain. We've already got the pseudo-biologists trying to prove that political beliefs are genetically-inherited. Enough--why can't we just welcome the multifaceted, varied, often-unpredictable (and yes, irrational) nature of human behavior?

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but as a political philosopher, this kind of "logic" hits close to my area of focus. Oh, and my engineer husband was highly amused as well.

rockie

Mar 8, 2009, 9:08 AM
Post #371 of 438 (4603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Yowza!

I strongly disagree with that comment.

I have great friends who are engineers and they are far from stupid! What an insult, honestly..

Unless it is those from the USForces we are talking about... in which case I can only agree Smile

(This post was edited by rockie on Mar 8, 2009, 9:13 AM)

rockie

Mar 8, 2009, 9:09 AM
Post #372 of 438 (4602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Nope, been an engineer for almost 5 years now. And engineering is exactly about knowing what is going on in the real world..... However I would go to the point of saying that new-engineering graduates know very little about said world. The more experienced I get, the more I learn I don't actually know ;)

I like your attitude desertwanderer81, quite right too Wink

desertwanderer81

Mar 8, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #373 of 438 (4589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

I think you're confusing economists for engineers? They are very much different. Anyhow, like before the Great Depression, we were dealing with economic engines that we really didn't understand. Whether it is some liberally educated fool handing out AAA raitings to sub prime bundle or some some economist who was a fool and crunched a bunch of wrong numbers handing out the same AAA raitings doesn't make much of a difference to your or I.

A lot of people think that computer modeling is the instant, make life easy button. But it's not. You still have to understand your imputes and outputes. They have to pass the "do these make sense" button.

Anyhow, I was purely talking from a philosphical point of view perviously with the whole equation thing. We live in a deterministic world which is so complex that it gives off the illusion of free will existing.

To further the analogy, I am a geotechnical/enviromental engineer. That means that I basically try to predict what is going on with water under the ground and what it'll do. Well, I do a lot of other stuff too.....but we'll stay with that for the time being. Now here's the problem, we don't know what is under the ground! Sure we can put a bunch of borings into the ground and from that information, we can interpelate the subsurface conditions, but there is no way to actually know what exactly is down there.

The results we get though are still generally a lot better than going willy nilly and just making up a design on the spot without doing the investigation or engineering. Are the results always perfect? No, not at all. But most of the time, you'll get much better answers.

desertwanderer81

Mar 8, 2009, 1:40 PM
Post #374 of 438 (4587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockie wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

I like your attitude desertwanderer81, quite right too Wink

Ya know, at 18 I was the smartest person on this planet! How is it at 27 I know so much less?!

By the age of 50, I figure I'll just be laying in my own stupor all day Wink;-Wink)[/;)]

iamthewallress

Mar 8, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #375 of 438 (4577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

I keep going back and forth between a real reply and just WTF?

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook