Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Climbing and being a mom
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Mar 8, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #376 of 438 (4512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
....The majority of engineers are socially stupid. Good at book smarts, but don't always know what's going on in the real world. You seem to fit that to a tee.

I keep going back and forth between a real reply and just WTF?

Well, it's a stereotype and not a universal truth. Still... Cool

Curt

matterunomama

Mar 8, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #377 of 438 (4499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [staci] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

staci wrote:
wow..Just to set the record strait . I did not have my 13 year old son babysit 4 young children. That would not be fair to anyone.

13 is a little young, but depending on the child and situation not out of the question. I grew up in a family of 5 and I babysat my 3 younger regularly since I was 12. Babysat for neighbors and friends from 13. Started dating at 14.5 and soon the neighborhood lost a great sitter!Tongue There is also the option of bringing an early teen 'mothers's helper' to the crag/beach/mountain with you so you can climb/surf/sail/ski unemcumbered and still be there to semi-supervise.

granite_grrl

Mar 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #378 of 438 (4481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
....The majority of engineers are socially stupid. Good at book smarts, but don't always know what's going on in the real world. You seem to fit that to a tee.

Curt
Think absent minded professor type. It's not a real insult, just the way some people are.

rmsusa

Mar 9, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #379 of 438 (4470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just because we're currently ignorant of what the equations are, doesn't mean they don't exist ;) It's the way the world works. Call it divine. Call it a beautiful coincidence. It's still how the world works.

And pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing

No it's not. Nobody's thought that for a century or more. Heisenberg put Descartes in context. Yep, pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing. The finance guys started believing a bunch of PhD's in math with social disorders and that same attitude. Someday I'll be able to write an equation. Horsecrap!

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #380 of 438 (4464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
Just because we're currently ignorant of what the equations are, doesn't mean they don't exist ;) It's the way the world works. Call it divine. Call it a beautiful coincidence. It's still how the world works.

And pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing

No it's not. Nobody's thought that for a century or more. Heisenberg put Descartes in context. Yep, pure and simple, we didn't know what we were doing. The finance guys started believing a bunch of PhD's in math with social disorders and that same attitude. Someday I'll be able to write an equation. Horsecrap!

Uncertainty is a crutch because we don't know exactly what's going on. It will continue to be a crutch for the entire existance of humanity because we are not omnicient. It's still a crutch though in our deterministic world.

And it's great that you steriotype math PHD's. Next thing you know you'll be saying that all blacks are either pimps, whores, drug dealers, gangsters, or some combination there of. Great. Way to be a fantastic example of humanity!

iamthewallress

Mar 9, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #381 of 438 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
curt wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Curt
Think absent minded professor type. It's not a real insult, just the way some people are.

It IS an insult. What you are doing is no different than a guy explaining why women are too emotional to do ______, and then saying "I'm not being offensive. It's just the way "the majority" of you are.

On average middle school girls start thinking that they are not as good as boys in math and science about two years before that starts to be true.

When the pubescent pressure to be well-liked kicks in, who can blame girls for effectively deciding to suck at math or be called "socially stupid" with a smile if they let on that perhaps they are good at it?

What sometimes no one tells you when you're 12 is that for most people to do well in any field, you need some good social skills. The person that is so brilliant that they get a pass on this may be fun to charicaturize, but as no one wants to work with them, I find that they are very rare on the job.

The "cool" majors often pay little or no money. While this sounds nice when you are a teenage idealist, a lack of funds for many women means few choices when it comes to balancing personal aspirations with childcare.

I know that there are plenty of poor people who are happy, have free time, and have kids. But that does not change the simple fact that women have more options for equality when they make as much money as men. And as long as women are convinced of ideas like "the majority of engineers are socially stupid", tech firms, finance companies, etc. will keep on having their policy set and most of their dollars earned by men.

When I have traveled in other countries, I have found that they rarely share the american ideal where social supremecy is often bestowed upon the overtly non-intellectual.

rmsusa

Mar 9, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #382 of 438 (4455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's still a crutch though in our deterministic world. ...

Phenomenal! You actually believe that!
Way to reject a hundred years of science.

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #383 of 438 (4453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

People think that it is OK to stereotype an entire group of people based on a few eccentric types. I work for a small firm and the engineers are as such: One is a cowboy type who drinks a ton, one is the "connoisseur of life" who enjoys fine foods/beer and ski'es a lot, and the other is me who is me who is Mr. Outdoors Tree-hugger. Certainly all three of us have our eccentricities, but none fall into the anti-social shut-in stereotype.

But hey, I suppose it's easier for some to stereotype all engineers/math/science people into the functioning aspergers group than to admit that there are just things that they don't understand.

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #384 of 438 (4453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Einstien himself has admitted that his theories are not the penultimate answer but just a step in the right direction.

Isaac Newton wrote:
What Descartes did was a good step. You have added much several ways, and especially in taking the colours of thin plates into philosophical consideration. If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Uncertainty theory is just another step. It is our way of predicting what we don't understand fully. One day we will better understand sub-atomic mechanics and we will be able to do away with some aspects of the uncertainty theory. Never fully though because as I have said before, we are not omniscient.

(This post was edited by desertwanderer81 on Mar 9, 2009, 5:54 PM)

lena_chita

Mar 9, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #385 of 438 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
curt wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Curt

It IS an insult. What you are doing is no different than a guy explaining why women are too emotional to do ______, and then saying "I'm not being offensive. It's just the way "the majority" of you are.

You DO know what granite_grrl does for living, right?

clausti

Mar 9, 2009, 6:20 PM
Post #386 of 438 (4441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
curt wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Curt

On average middle school girls start thinking that they are not as good as boys in math and science about two years before that starts to be true.

When the pubescent pressure to be well-liked kicks in, who can blame girls for effectively deciding to suck at math or be called "socially stupid" with a smile if they let on that perhaps they are good at it?

What sometimes no one tells you when you're 12 is that for most people to do well in any field, you need some good social skills. The person that is so brilliant that they get a pass on this may be fun to charicaturize, but as no one wants to work with them, I find that they are very rare on the job. ...

so granitegrrl is an engineer, just fyi. so I kind of doubt that her intention is to make girls think that only mouth-breathing boys can be engineers. i'm getting the impression that she's talking with a bit of an cynical insider's eye.

but saying a lot of engineers are socially awkward is, um, often very true. and plenty of people in this thread have said that women are more emotional than men (also, the majority of the time, true) with less 'splosions than GG's engineer's comment got. so I'm a little puzzled.

In my opinion, girls drop out of math and science and play to stupid not out of long-term planning of careers or because they think only the "stupid" careers are socially liked but because specifically, at the time, boys they are sexually and relationally interested in (and boys that aren't, many boys in general) are actively put off by, and talk about how much they are actively put off by, smart girls. Speaking as someone who was in high school under 6 years ago, this was what I felt and perceived. In my case, I said "fuck you anyway" and went on towards a career in a scientific field (genetics) that is traditionally male-dominated but is rapidly equalizing, like pretty much all life sciences. In my case, I was encouraged by strong female role models in my teachers (AP bio teacher with master's degree) and my relatives (one aunt is a biomedical engineering phd, my mother is an accountant), but many girls don't have that advantage.

but yeah, enginerds. lots of them.

granite_grrl

Mar 9, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #387 of 438 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
curt wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Curt

What sometimes no one tells you when you're 12 is that for most people to do well in any field, you need some good social skills. The person that is so brilliant that they get a pass on this may be fun to charicaturize, but as no one wants to work with them, I find that they are very rare on the job.

The "cool" majors often pay little or no money. While this sounds nice when you are a teenage idealist, a lack of funds for many women means few choices when it comes to balancing personal aspirations with childcare.

I know that there are plenty of poor people who are happy, have free time, and have kids. But that does not change the simple fact that women have more options for equality when they make as much money as men. And as long as women are convinced of ideas like "the majority of engineers are socially stupid", tech firms, finance companies, etc. will keep on having their policy set and most of their dollars earned by men.

When I have traveled in other countries, I have found that they rarely share the american ideal where social supremecy is often bestowed upon the overtly non-intellectual.
Wow, I'm sorry that I have offended. I did not mean to do that. But I think you're ready way to deep in what I'm trying to say (though what I have to say below could still be offensive to you and I could be digging myself deeper into a hole Crazy.....oh well).

I was just reflecting what I see in myself (an electrical engineer), my father (an electrical engineer), my older sister (a chemical engineer), most people I work with (electrical, mechanical and industrial engineers), most people that I went to school with (at the engineering university). Engineers think a lot, they are analytical (at least by job description). Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what's going on in our heads that we don't notice subilties going on around us. This doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to happen a lot.

I have comments about the social aspect of women in technical fields, but I don't want to get this thread any more off track. If you want to start another thread I'll be sure to participate. You can choose to be offended by what I said above, but remember, it's only my own observations and not gospel.

puerto

Mar 9, 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #388 of 438 (4403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Rmsusa, out of curiosity I wouldn't mind having an explanation for exactly how/why quantum mechanics disproves determinism?

How exactly do you "prove" that something is truly random, as opposed to said randomness being something you just don't understand yet (because of measurement limitations, etc)?

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #389 of 438 (4399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Wow, I'm sorry that I have offended. I did not mean to do that. But I think you're ready way to deep in what I'm trying to say (though what I have to say below could still be offensive to you and I could be digging myself deeper into a hole Crazy.....oh well).

I was just reflecting what I see in myself (an electrical engineer), my father (an electrical engineer), my older sister (a chemical engineer), most people I work with (electrical, mechanical and industrial engineers), most people that I went to school with (at the engineering university). Engineers think a lot, they are analytical (at least by job description). Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what's going on in our heads that we don't notice subilties going on around us. This doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to happen a lot.

I have comments about the social aspect of women in technical fields, but I don't want to get this thread any more off track. If you want to start another thread I'll be sure to participate. You can choose to be offended by what I said above, but remember, it's only my own observations and not gospel.

Don't forget that certain disciplines tend to have more shut-ins than others. EE's tending to lean the most heavily on the shut-in scale.

Also the social aspect of women being more emotional was mostly me. In that statement I said that while women tend to be more emotionally focused then men for biological reasons, there is a great deal more varience within the sex than there is between the averages of both sexes. The same is true for race. While there are measurable differences between different traditionally observed racial groups, the varience within said groups is much much higher than the averages between the groups.

There's a big difference between saying "women are emotional" and "engineers are shut-ins" and the statement I made.

If you were upset about something and I told you to come back when you weren't PMS'ing, I'd bet you'd be pretty pissed. It's a discounting of someone's opinion based on who they are.

matterunomama

Mar 9, 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #390 of 438 (4395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Einstien himself has admitted that his theories are not the penultimate answer but just a step in the right direction.

Isaac Newton wrote:
What Descartes did was a good step. You have added much several ways, and especially in taking the colours of thin plates into philosophical consideration. If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Uncertainty theory is just another step. It is our way of predicting what we don't understand fully. One day we will better understand sub-atomic mechanics and we will be able to do away with some aspects of the uncertainty theory. Never fully though because as I have said before, we are not omniscient.

You do know that 'penultimate means next to the last? You may have meant 'ultimate', tho I admit penultimate sounds fancierTongue

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #391 of 438 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, thanks for pointing that out. I always thought that the word meant "the final answer".

I guess I just took it up from context.

Interesting enough, for years I confused condoned and condemned.

clausti

Mar 9, 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #392 of 438 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
haha, thanks for pointing that out. I always thought that the word meant "the final answer".

would this be the wrong place to talk about engineers and verbal skills?

desertwanderer81

Mar 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #393 of 438 (4387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Interestingly enough, my terrible spelling doesn't come from being an engineer. My brother who happens to be a brilliant writer tends to mispell things frequently too. We're both very well read usually puting away away a book a week or so.

My problems with confusing certain words tends to come from contexual confusions. Like condone, is nearly always in a negative context. My own confusion with penultimate stems from it being used wrong frequently.

clausti

Mar 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #394 of 438 (4381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
clausti wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

Interestingly enough, my terrible spelling doesn't come from being an engineer. My brother who happens to be a brilliant writer tends to mispell things frequently too. We're both very well read usually puting away away a book a week or so.

My problems with confusing certain words tends to come from contexual confusions. Like condone, is nearly always in a negative context. My own confusion with penultimate stems from it being used wrong frequently.

terrible spelling is entirely beside the point. i can't spell worth dogshit- which is why i have a spellchecker. that is why they are for.

and here i thought all engineers everywhere loved gadgets.

(hint: i am going to continue to make increasingly absurd, absolutist statements until you realize i am joking.)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 10, 2009, 3:40 AM
Post #395 of 438 (4359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

puerto wrote:
rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Rmsusa, out of curiosity I wouldn't mind having an explanation for exactly how/why quantum mechanics disproves determinism?

How exactly do you "prove" that something is truly random, as opposed to said randomness being something you just don't understand yet (because of measurement limitations, etc)?

One could no more “prove” that randomness does not exists than one could “prove” god not exists. You’re in good company, Einstein was famously quoted as saying “God does not play dice with the universe”. He was wrong, you are wrong, but you’re in good company.

To link it back into the topic….

Your specific DNA sequence that your children (maybe?) will inherit is determined by which one of millions of sperm reach the egg or what DNA is in that egg. There may be something in that gene that provides intelligence. That intelligence is in no way related to climbing skills or parenting skills. Both of which are learned. Learned by example. The best teachers? Mom and dad. But where do mom and dad get the time for their own climbing with dragging little ones to the crag?

desertwanderer81

Mar 10, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #396 of 438 (4356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha, fair enough. You win.

desertwanderer81

Mar 10, 2009, 4:29 AM
Post #397 of 438 (4354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
One could no more “prove” that randomness does not exists than one could “prove” god not exists. You’re in good company, Einstein was famously quoted as saying “God does not play dice with the universe”. He was wrong, you are wrong, but you’re in good company.

Proof please that it is actual randomness and not the illusion of randomness ;)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 10, 2009, 2:33 PM
Post #398 of 438 (4337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

Proof please that it is actual randomness and not the illusion of randomness ;)

Proximity does not imply causality.

If one assumes that “motherhood” implies a decrease of climbing ability, one would be tempted to look for a “cause” of the decrease. One could, with a good enough source of information, determine which changes had the largest impact. It could be something tangible, a delta in disposable income, a delta in recreational time, or a delta in physical conditioning. Or it could be something philosophical, a change in acceptance of risk, a change in peer group acceptance of climbing, or a change in the level of enjoyment that climbing brings.

Skipping over the whole fact that none of this is very easily knowable, even if you were able to statistically determine item with the highest correlation to a decrease in climbing, you still wouldn’t have the cause. There is a huge, huge gap between correlation and causality. Determinism implies a force, either physical or spiritual, that pushes towards a result. While you are free to interpret a mythical force behind motherhood and climbing (“god made me stop climbing”), you would only be projecting your current mental model onto a complex situation. Here is the crux, the “cause” is unknowable not because the data isn’t good enough, because it is unknowable. It isn’t just HUP, its chaos man. It is too many variables in too many subtle ways that their combinations just can’t be calculated.

So, you can’t bring a formula / spreadsheet to determine the core force. You can add statistics to increase your probability of accurately predicting results. And, more importantly, you can listen to people whose brains have already processed the experience and built accurate models in their own head.

Now who has good models in their head and whose head is full of garbage? I don’t for the life of me know.

I do know that me and my wife’s climbing ability is improving. We are n00bs, but we are improving none the less. So, to disprove one theory, motherhood does not “cause” a loss of climbing ability. Now if the theory is that high level climbers tend to decrease their ability, you will need a different data set. If you want to know how to achieve that balance, STFU and listen.

puerto

Mar 10, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #399 of 438 (4329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh Toast, you're countering an argument I never made (that you can ever decisively "prove" anything) and confusing the ability to predict things with whether they're determined or not. Now there's some chaos (in your brain) for you.

An interesting quote from a certain John Bell:

"There is a way to escape the inference
of superluminal speeds and spooky action at a distance. But it (Superdeterminism) involves
absolute determinism in the universe, the complete absence of free will. Suppose the world is
super-deterministic, with not just inanimate nature running on behind-the-scenes clockwork, but
with our behavior, including our belief that we are free to choose to do one experiment
rather than another, absolutely predetermined, including the "decision" by the experimenter
to carry out one set of measurements rather than another, the difficulty disappears.
There is no need for a faster than light signal to tell particle A what measurement has been
carried out on particle B, because the universe, including particle A, already "knows" what that
measurement, and its outcome, will be. The only alternative to quantum probabilities, superpositions of states, collapse of the wavefunction, and spooky
action at a distance, is that everything is superdetermined. For me it is a dilemma. I think it
is a deep dilemma, and the resolution of it will not be trivial; it will require a substantial
change in the way we look at things."

desertwanderer81

Mar 10, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #400 of 438 (4325 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] Climbing and being a mom [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, yeah....his post had nothing to do with what I asked him either....

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook