Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Two piece anchors are plenty strong!
I always use at least 3 pieces, more if needed. 80 / 37%
I always use exactly three pieces, quoth the raven. 6 / 3%
I use two sometimes if they are good. 115 / 53%
I never use more than two. 2 / 1%
I pancake. 13 / 6%
216 total votes

jmeizis

May 27, 2009, 4:55 AM
Post #101 of 143 (5442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I didn't say that a piece with a 50% probability of failure is bomproof. That'd be stupid. If I did then it was a mistake in wording.

The 1% failure rate is about the same as a condom. I don't have any babies and I haven't died yet so 1 in 10,000 seems infintesimal to me. Maybe once I knock some girl up I'll make sure I place three pieces all the time. I guess that word is open to a lot more interpretation than I thought. Infintesimal is obviously a lot smaller number for you. You're prejoratively a sport climber. I am not. I have seen a lot of things that I thought wouldn't hold that did so my assessment of what constitutes bomber might also be different than yours.

I'm not that casual about risk. Like I said before, there are a lot more factors going into it. Will I fall? Will I get in gear before I might fall? Will the catch be very dynamic? Will I hit something before my full weight comes onto the anchor? Placing two pieces at an anchor is not the norm for me but I do so on numerous occasions. If the anchor is marginal I'm sure to say so and place more gear. 6.25% probability of failure if it gets fallen on is pretty damn low. If I use the same anchor configuration with the same fairly marginal pieces and fall on it 100 times it will fail 6.25 times. How many times when you're climbing do you fall on the belay 100 times? Obviously it could fail the first six times or the last six but it's good much more often than not. Given the fact that most climbs that I do are onsighted then the actual probability of my anchors failing is more infintesimal than yours.

I'm not casual, I'm tolerant. You're not, that's why you stick to sport climbing and I like a little more variety in my repetoire.

kennoyce

May 27, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #102 of 143 (5420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Dynamic ropes are tested for a maximum impact force which is far below 30kN. As long as they can stretch far enough to dissipate the energy of the fall they will have a tension that is not much above that impact force.

That is false. The tension is proportional to the relative elongation of the rope. Hooke's Law.

Jay

Sorry Jay, I usually agree with things you say, but hooke's law only applies to the linear elastic region, and with dynamic ropes, once you are about at the maximum impact force you leave this region...

Huh? The rope does not have an absolute maximum impact force. The maximum impact force for a particular rope is a function of the fall factor and the weight of the climber.

Jay

right, the rope doesn't have an absolute maximum impact force, which is why I said, "about at the maximum impact force." Regardless what I was trying to say is that once outside of the linear elastic region (region with a constant modulus which on a rope doesn't really exist to begin with) hookes law no longer applies.

jt512

May 27, 2009, 2:55 PM
Post #103 of 143 (5419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Dynamic ropes are tested for a maximum impact force which is far below 30kN. As long as they can stretch far enough to dissipate the energy of the fall they will have a tension that is not much above that impact force.

That is false. The tension is proportional to the relative elongation of the rope. Hooke's Law.

Jay

Sorry Jay, I usually agree with things you say, but hooke's law only applies to the linear elastic region, and with dynamic ropes, once you are about at the maximum impact force you leave this region...

Huh? The rope does not have an absolute maximum impact force. The maximum impact force for a particular rope is a function of the fall factor and the weight of the climber.

Jay

right, the rope doesn't have an absolute maximum impact force, which is why I said, "about at the maximum impact force." Regardless what I was trying to say is that once outside of the linear elastic region (region with a constant modulus which on a rope doesn't really exist to begin with) hookes law no longer applies.

Well, you need to provide some evidence that predictions using Hooke's Law with a constant modulus are poor approximation of the maximum impact force.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on May 27, 2009, 2:56 PM)

kennoyce

May 27, 2009, 3:04 PM
Post #104 of 143 (5414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, you need to provide some evidence that predictions using Hooke's Law with a constant modulus are poor approximation of the maximum impact force.

Jay

The evidence has already been provided. The fact that the ropes in that BD test were all breaking at around 10 kN shows that once you reach that value, the rope will just stretch without taking a higher load until it breaks. look up any typical stress strain curve, and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, but just stating that ropes don't behave exactly like a typical linear elastic material, this approximation is fine for certain things, but once the loads are to high, it no longer works.

jt512

May 27, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #105 of 143 (5412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
In reply to:

Jay

The evidence has already been provided. The fact that the ropes in that BD test were all breaking at around 10 kN shows that once you reach that value, the rope will just stretch without taking a higher load until it breaks. look up any typical stress strain curve, and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, but just stating that ropes don't behave exactly like a typical linear elastic material, this approximation is fine for certain things, but once the loads are to high, it no longer works.

OK, I understand what you are getting at now. Thanks.

Jay

jt512

May 27, 2009, 3:16 PM
Post #106 of 143 (5407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
I didn't say that a piece with a 50% probability of failure is bomproof. That'd be stupid. If I did then it was a mistake in wording.

The 1% failure rate is about the same as a condom. I don't have any babies and I haven't died yet so 1 in 10,000 seems infintesimal to me. Maybe once I knock some girl up I'll make sure I place three pieces all the time. I guess that word is open to a lot more interpretation than I thought. Infintesimal is obviously a lot smaller number for you. You're prejoratively a sport climber. I am not. I have seen a lot of things that I thought wouldn't hold that did so my assessment of what constitutes bomber might also be different than yours.

I'm not that casual about risk. Like I said before, there are a lot more factors going into it. Will I fall? Will I get in gear before I might fall? Will the catch be very dynamic? Will I hit something before my full weight comes onto the anchor? Placing two pieces at an anchor is not the norm for me but I do so on numerous occasions. If the anchor is marginal I'm sure to say so and place more gear. 6.25% probability of failure if it gets fallen on is pretty damn low.

The purpose of the anchor is to save the lives of the climbing party in the event of a fall, not reduce their chance of death to only 6%.

In reply to:
I'm not casual, I'm tolerant. You're not, that's why you stick to sport climbing and I like a little more variety in my repetoire.

It's not why I stick to sport climbing. It's why, when I build anchors, I build ones that I think have essentially no chance of failing.

Jay

Partner cracklover

May 27, 2009, 3:48 PM
Post #107 of 143 (5397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jmeizis, you can add one more factor into your little hypothetical equation that will radically improve its usefulness, without requiring a supercomputer to calculate the probabilities:

Equalization

Let's say you are capable of creating an anchor that equalizes somewhat (distributes would be a better term than equalizes).

The point of the anchor is to be capable of holding the worst possible fall - a FF2, which can easily generate forces up to 18kN on the anchor.

Now let's look at your pieces again, and say that you estimate that each placement is 90% likely to fail at 18kN, 20% likely to fail at ~10kN, 10% likely to fail at ~7kN, and 2% likely to fail at ~5kN.

A single piece anchor gives you around:
90% chance of failure.

Two pieces, equalizing at 40/60 give you around:
20% x 10% = 2% chance of failure.

Three pieces, equalizing at 30/30/40 gives you around:
2% x 2% x 10% = 0.004% (four in 100,000)

Add a fourth piece, equalizing at 25/25/30/20, and you might see something like:
2% x 2% x 2% x 1.5% = .00001%

So three looks like the magic number to me.

GO

majid_sabet

May 27, 2009, 4:13 PM
Post #108 of 143 (5389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Jmeizis, you can add one more factor into your little hypothetical equation that will radically improve its usefulness, without requiring a supercomputer to calculate the probabilities:

Equalization

Let's say you are capable of creating an anchor that equalizes somewhat (distributes would be a better term than equalizes).

The point of the anchor is to be capable of holding the worst possible fall - a FF2, which can easily generate forces up to 18kN on the anchor.

Now let's look at your pieces again, and say that you estimate that each placement is 90% likely to fail at 18kN, 20% likely to fail at ~10kN, 10% likely to fail at ~7kN, and 2% likely to fail at ~5kN.

A single piece anchor gives you around:
90% chance of failure.

Two pieces, equalizing at 40/60 give you around:
20% x 10% = 2% chance of failure.

Three pieces, equalizing at 30/30/40 gives you around:
2% x 2% x 10% = 0.004% (four in 100,000)

Add a fourth piece, equalizing at 25/25/30/20, and you might see something like:
2% x 2% x 2% x 1.5% = .00001%

So three looks like the magic number to me.

GO

lets use an avarage number of 12 KN since most trad gear are rated between 5-16 kn

and this new post should put an end this two piece whatever

http://www.columbian.com/...orge+blamed+on+error

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 27, 2009, 4:47 PM)

hafilax

May 27, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #109 of 143 (5371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Could you cite the specific literature you are referring to, because it seems to contradict what rgold, who seems very familiar with the literature, has said; namely, that Hooke's Law is a very reasonable model of the max. impact force of a dynamic rope, except when the fall is very short (and very long?). Note, that these exceptions are for extremes of fall length, not fall factor.

These are the papers I was looking at both by Attaway:
http://web.mit.edu/...d_order_rope_fit.pdf

http://lamountaineers.org/xRopes.pdf

In the second paper he cites a work by Toomey (1988) in figure 13 which shows cartoon load vs extension curves for dynamic and static ropes. The dynamic rope line curves up and the static rope line is initially concave up then goes concave down. I would bet that at high enough elongations the same would happen for dynamic ropes which would support the force limiting hypothesis. The first paper gives some actual data for the deviation from Hooke's Law.

For most calculations I'm sure the Hooke's Law approximation is good enough and is tractable whereas a more complex behavior may require numerical techniques making the interpretation less transparent.

dingus

May 27, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #110 of 143 (5361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jmeizis wrote:
There's still a small chance that all the pieces will fail so why not place 4 or 27. If you have a 12 piece anchor and 11 of the pieces fail then you'll be on one. So by that trend of thinking we can't possibly be safe...ever. We're all gonna die!

Yes but none of US are that stupid.

DMT

dingus

May 27, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #111 of 143 (5348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
The purpose of the anchor is to save the lives of the climbing party in the event of a fall, not reduce their chance of death to only 6%.

In reply to:
It's why, when I build anchors, I build ones that I think have essentially no chance of failing.

You and I have crossed paths on this issue before. You once contended that an anchor wasn't an anchorr UNLESS it had essentially no chance of failing.

Real world is anchors are often sub-optimal. Yet anchors they be.

Now I tend to agree with the 3-bomber-piece strategy as a guiding principle. And I agree that the chances of such an anchor totally failing SHOULD BE remote.

But a million to one? Not in your wildest dreams are you going to construct such a robust anchor on a trad climb in the real world.

I suspect you will agree with this... what a lot of folks consider a bomber anchor with an improbable chance of failure... aren't. A lot of anchors out there, for various reasons from rock to situation to talent to the brains of the pilot - hold a much much higher chance of total failure than the climbers involved know or would care to admit.

Any one who has pursued serious trad climbing for a significant amount of time will have heard this:

'Dude, don't even THINK about falling till you get a piece in."

That is one reality of trad - a sooner or later situation imo. True risk analysis in the field would send most of us running for the car. Sometimes delusion is your best pro!

Now I don't mean that literally. But I think we trad climbers DO operate with much higher risks than perhaps many of us are willing to admit.

Million to One? Maybe in an antiseptic lab I suppose... but not in the World. Not even close.

Just an opinion - the expectation that all trad anchors SHOULD BE zero practical chance of failure is not well grounded in the realities of the sport, at least as I experienced them.

"Dude, don't even THINK about falling...."

DMKT

Partner cracklover

May 27, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #112 of 143 (5338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, I've read it several times now, and your reply to my post makes no sense.

12kN as a number by itself has no bearing whatsoever to my post.

If you have an actual question or a point to make, please clarify.

GO

desertwanderer81

May 27, 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #113 of 143 (5308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Did you read the thread? No-one is pulling numbers out of their ass. Almost all the replies advocate thinking things through.

You're creating a reality in your head again.

lol, good times.

jt512

May 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #114 of 143 (5302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:

In reply to:
It's why, when I build anchors, I build ones that I think have essentially no chance of failing.

But a million to one? Not in your wildest dreams are you going to construct such a robust anchor on a trad climb in the real world.

Why? You don't think that there are placements that have a probability of failure of 1%?

Jay

dingus

May 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #115 of 143 (5296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:

In reply to:

Why? You don't think that there are placements that have a probability of failure of 1%?

Jay

I guess I don't really know what a 1% piece is J. What does that even mean? In some sort of field-applicable manner? How does one distinguish a 1% piece from a 2%er or a 5%er? Isn't this 1% number just plucked from thin air for the convenience of back of the envelope risk analysis? There is no useful meaning to this term is there? I mean useful in the context of climbing, that is.

In terms of our discussion, correct - I do not think there are typically 3 independant 1% pro opportunities at each belay. I think the failure % is likely to significantly higher for the 'average' belay anchor.

If 3 so-called 1% pieces were in the same crack and one ripped the other two would not likely remain 1% pieces imo. Crack damage, shattered rock and what have you, or a change in belay/anchor angle...etc. rapidly changes the equation.

Look I'm not objecting to the notion of building solid anchors, bombproof even. What I am voiceing is my gut feeling that many if not most trad anchors would ultimately fail your bomb proof test. And I'm also voicing the caution that in trad the expectation of bomb proof anchors is at least part of the time is a fool's hope.

Trad IS dangerous. We like to minimize the danger, both real and perceived, both in our minds and in reality. Gauging the difference between our minds and reality is where the climbinb rubber hits the rock I guess.

DMT

jt512

May 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #116 of 143 (5291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Could you cite the specific literature you are referring to, because it seems to contradict what rgold, who seems very familiar with the literature, has said; namely, that Hooke's Law is a very reasonable model of the max. impact force of a dynamic rope, except when the fall is very short (and very long?). Note, that these exceptions are for extremes of fall length, not fall factor.

These are the papers I was looking at both by Attaway:
http://web.mit.edu/...d_order_rope_fit.pdf

Non-linearity of the force–elongation curve appears to mainly be an issue for static and low-stretch ropes. In the above paper, Figure 1 shows little curvature for the line representing the dynamic rope, and the author states that "Weber (2001) has shown that Eq. 2 [the standard equation] does an inadequate job of predicting the forces in static ropes."

In reply to:
http://lamountaineers.org/xRopes.pdf

In the second paper he cites a work by Toomey (1988) in figure 13 which shows cartoon load vs extension curves for dynamic and static ropes. The dynamic rope line curves up and the static rope line is initially concave up then goes concave down.

You have misinterpreted the figure. The rope being modeled is a "marine nylon" rope, which I'm fairly certain would be a static or low-elongation rope, by climbing standards. "Dynamic" and "quasi-static" in that figure refer to types of moduli, not types of rope.

Jay

no_email_entered

May 27, 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #117 of 143 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

"Dude, don't even THINK about falling...."

thanks for putting some real world into this dead horse thread mr. m---

---boy, if i had a nickel for every utterance of that from or to me i'd be

---able to buy a one of those $8 burgers, at least

Adk

May 28, 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #118 of 143 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to think every anchor through and every situation is not the same.
I rarely use two. Though two pieces can be plenty strong I want every anchor to hold as though it's holding a train. Yeah a single tree is great. Two bolts are good but combinations are what I look for.
If I climb with someone and after seconding come to the anchor and only find two pieces in place as an anchor when more locations for gear is available I get offended. Your life as well as mine, if I'm climbing with your are paramount. This way you and I can climb again even if it is never together again.
Build it strong so there are no doubts in anyone's mind.

no_email_entered

May 28, 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #119 of 143 (5275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Two piece anchors are plenty strong! Poll! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
You have to think every anchor through and every situation is not the same.
I rarely use two. Though two pieces can be plenty strong I want every anchor to hold as though it's holding a train. Yeah a single tree is great. Two bolts are good but combinations are what I look for.
If I climb with someone and after seconding come to the anchor and only find two pieces in place as an anchor when more locations for gear is available I get offended. Your life as well as mine, if I'm climbing with your are paramount. This way you and I can climb again even if it is never together again.
Build it strong so there are no doubts in anyone's mind.

so Adk doesn't stand for----

---american death knot?

hafilax

May 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #120 of 143 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the figures I've looked at for force vs. elongation, dynamic and static nylon ropes have the same behavior just different slopes and curvature. I would bet that you could come pretty close to scaling them all to a single curve using 2 parameters.

IIRC most of the papers I've read make some kind of approximation to deal with the non-Hooke like behavior of ropes. They generally are weak springs to start, then there is a roughly Hooke-like region after which they get stiffer. This seems very reasonable to me since they must have finite stretch and a point after which the deformation is no longer elastic. Given the damping nature of ropes it would surprise me more for them to behave like springs. The question is whether or not the deviation is important in climbing situations and I would say that for high fall factors it is.

I don't feel like doing a literature search again. Prove to me that ropes obey Hooke's Law.

jt512

May 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #121 of 143 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I don't feel like doing a literature search again. Prove to me that ropes obey Hooke's Law.

You already have the evidence. Draw the best-fit straight line that passes through origin to the data for the PMI 10.6 mm dynamic rope in Figure 1 of Attaway (2002). The departure from linearity is minor.

Jay

hafilax

May 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #122 of 143 (5288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my quest to satisfy jt's questions I came across a paper on the UIAA site titled "How strong does your climbing gear need to be?" from 2003. It has a pretty good summary of the reasoning used in developing the standards used in rating climbing gear.

Interestingly they explicitly state that there is no ultimate strength requirement for ropes, just the maximum impact force and the number of falls. Also, there is a claim that some ropes have lower impact forces in subsequent drops which is new to me.

They go on to estimate typical forces on running belays including a dynamic belay, friction and slippage in the belay device. They give good evidence that a 7kN max is a reasonable estimate based on in the field open gate biner tests done in the 80s with typical forces being in the 5-7kN range.

The maximum given for severe falls is about 20kN which is based on the 12kN maximum impact force figure used in the rope drop test. This is a simple calculation of the force on a biner with friction and a static belay in the drop test configuration.

Does this lay this topic to rest?

Here's a link to the paper:
http://www.theuiaa.org/...ar_need_to_be(0).pdf

hafilax

May 28, 2009, 1:33 AM
Post #123 of 143 (5277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

You already have the evidence. Draw the best-fit straight line that passes through origin to the data for the PMI 10.6 mm dynamic rope in Figure 1 of Attaway (2002). The departure from linearity is minor.

Jay
I did a linear fit forced through the origin and a 2nd order polynomial forced through the origin. If you look at the integral of the curves to get the work done by the rope (since that is typically what one is interested in for falls) the linear fit is off by as much as 54% for the first point and then decreases to about 10% for the last. If you extrapolate further then the linear fit gives good results for a while then takes off again. There's no way of knowing how much further the polynomial behavior would continue.

If you're working near the end of the data set over which the linear fit was done you will have good results. As you move away the results will be progressively worse. The validity of the linear model depends on the fit and the region of interest IMO.

jt512

May 28, 2009, 2:01 AM
Post #124 of 143 (5271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
jt512 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Jay
I did a linear fit forced through the origin and a 2nd order polynomial forced through the origin.

Yeah, I just did that as well, and I have to admit, the linear fit sucks, while the quadratic fit is almost perfect.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on May 28, 2009, 2:16 AM)
Attachments: pmi2.jpg (18.0 KB)

ptlong

May 28, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #125 of 143 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hooke's Law? All you need do is solve for the modulus in this equation:

T = w + sqrt(w^2 + 2krw)

Then plug in the maximum impact force for you current lead line. Okay, now use Hooke's Law to get the dynamic elongation. What?? It's way too big?

Well... how about drawing a straight line from the origin through the point defined by the impact force and elongation numbers. Now calculate the area under the curve, the strain energy. Funny, it doesn't come close to matching the fall energy.

Either energy is lost due to heat (damping) or else they are not linear. Or both.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook