Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ready bolted routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

freeheeler1690

Apr 26, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Ready bolted routes  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife and I are looking to go to Yosemite for a 3 day trip in two weeks time. We are both Lead certified from an indoor gym but have never set up anchors on our own. We are looking for 1 pitch routes that are already bolted so we just need to clip in to get some outdoor practice.

Does anyone know of any good areas that are already bolted that we can practice on. We have all our own gear and rope.

Thank you for any help

Martin

redlude97

Apr 26, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freeheeler1690] Ready bolted routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know how to clean a route and rethread through the anchors? There likely aren't any routes where you just get to the top, clip in and lower.

Partner angry

Apr 26, 2010, 6:16 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You should go bouldering in the valley. You really don't have the skillset to do much there.

marc801

Apr 26, 2010, 6:27 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Ready bolted routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You should go bouldering in the valley. You really don't have the skillset to do much there.
Or hire a guide.

marc801

Apr 26, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

freeheeler1690 wrote:
My wife and I are looking to go to Yosemite for a 3 day trip in two weeks time. We are both Lead certified from an indoor gym but have never set up anchors on our own. We are looking for 1 pitch routes that are already bolted so we just need to clip in to get some outdoor practice.

Does anyone know of any good areas that are already bolted that we can practice on. We have all our own gear and rope.

Thank you for any help

Martin
There are extremely few sport routes in the Valley, and none below 5.12 or so. There are routes that do have bolted anchors, but almost all are the friction routes on GPA and the Royal Arches Apron or the spicy face routes on Middle Cathedral. No sane person would consider those sport routes merely due to the presence of protection bolts. There are a number of trad routes that have trees for some of the anchors, but from the wording of your post, I'd guess that you don't have the prerequisite knowledge to do these without killing yourselves.

dugl33

Apr 26, 2010, 9:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on how hard you climb, there aren't a whole lot of options. You have a few options at Knob Hill, a climb or two at Five and Dime, a few climbs at Pat and Jack Pinnacle, a few slab climbs at the arches area, a few climbs at Schultzs Ridge and a few at lower cathedral. If you have the stomach for run out slab climbs there is plenty to do, but do you even have two ropes for long rappels?

If you are not good at slabs or climbing at least 5.10, I can count your options for suitable bolted face climbs on one hand.

Yosemite Valley in general requires crack climbing skills, gear and the ability to use it.

You can partner up with someone with these skills at camp 4 (offerings of beer or food may help) or take some classes with the Yosemite Guides. A few classes may be money well spent.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/...ClimbingLessons.aspx

Arockstar

Apr 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pat and Jacks. There are a number of bolted routes with two in the 5.8/5.9 grade at the far end and a nice 5.10b(bone head or something like that). Like others have said, if you don't know how to clean, get someone to teach you first.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook