Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Top Rope at Stoney Ridge
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Jeramie

Aug 26, 2010, 8:28 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Top Rope at Stoney Ridge  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region: Stoney_Ridge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious is there any places besides the west face to toprope at stoney ridge? Thanks

joeforte

Aug 27, 2010, 2:53 AM
Post #2 of 4 (3311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeramie] Top Rope at Stoney Ridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stoney is not really a good place to toprope. Most of the routes end half way up the cliff, so leading is the best option. There are a lot of other places nearby that are good to toprope though, such as gorgeous rocks, some of the Mocanaqua areas, Stover, etc... Check out the Eastern PA rock climbing guidebook. It has a ton of good info on these areas. You can find it a www.paclimbing.com

Jeramie

Aug 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Top Rope at Stoney Ridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stover was my stompping grounds growing up (amzing how many bolts there are there now days compared to 10 years ago). We have recently visited the Mocanaqua areas for the fist time (which we enjoyed very much and hopefully will be visting again this weekend).

Stoney is literly in my backyard (probally the main reason for instrest.)

Lastnight I stopped at stoney just to take a walk and spot bolts and I was amazed how many bolts are easily accessiable from the top (now the question are the routes too hard)? A route guide sure would be nice.

Gorgeous Rocks, this is the first I've heard of this I'll have to look into that more. Thanks for the tip with Paclimbing.com (already own a copy) and it has been quite helpfull for the dam area and bouldering. Thanks for taking the time to answer, Your input is much appeciated.

EDIT: Is Georgous Rocks listed in the route database?

(This post was edited by Jeramie on Aug 27, 2010, 12:09 PM)

joeforte

Aug 28, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #4 of 4 (3275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeramie] Top Rope at Stoney Ridge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, gorgeous rocks is not in the routes DB, but it is listed in the Lehigh Gorge section for the Eastern PA climbing guidebook.

Stoney does have some bolts accessible from the top, but most of them are on hard routes. Most of the routes at Stoney are 5.8 and above, with the majority of them falling in the 5.10-5.12 range. All of the sport routes are 5.10 or harder, so the routes with bolts on top are typically hard, besides one or two exceptions, where they are used mainly for a convenient rap.

PM me for more details on Stoney if you want.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook