Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

rschap

Nov 28, 2010, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 116 (14680 views)
Shortcut

Leading in a gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone give me a non elitist reason why a person would have to be able to lead at least a 5.9 in order to pass a lead test in a gym?

vegastradguy

Nov 28, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #2 of 116 (14658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

theres a couple of reasons, actually.

1) time climbing. usually someone who is comfortable enough to take the sharp end should be able to climb 5.9 in the gym.

2) steepness. gyms want you to be on overhanging terrain when you're leading- at least most of the time. this makes for safer falls. most gyms dont make their vert to slab walls leadable, or if they do, its not much of it.

3) generally speaking, most gyms just dont set routes under 5.9 for leading. most people who lead are cranking .10 or harder (in the gym) and theres just no point in having a bunch of 5.6s in the gym that are leadable. i guess you can call that elitist, but the reality is that 5.9 in the gym is just not that hard and if you cant manage it, the gym owner is probably not going to be psyched to have you on the sharp end.

bill413

Nov 28, 2010, 9:11 PM
Post #3 of 116 (14646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think vtg is right, but...

I see no reason that a person that wants to lead shouldn't be able to get on a route that's safely leadable. The last lead test I had was on a 5.7 route. The gym didn't seem to care how hard I could climb* as long as I could (cleanly) get up to the fourth bolt for my fall demonstration. A more important aspect, IMO is showing that one can properly belay a leader. (And, yes, the gym explicitly tested that also.)

*How hard I could climb: 5.7 or 5.14, as long as I did the mechanics of leading properly.

rschap

Nov 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 116 (14628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a climbing gym should be a place to learn skills regardless of how hard you can climb. I’ve lead 5.0 outside, hell even a 5.4 multipitch, I’ve even done a 16 pitch 5.7. To say someone can’t lead because they can’t climb a certain grade just seems elitist to me. Sure 5.9 isn’t that hard for most people but it’s not that easy for everyone. What about people that take a long time off from climbing and they are looking to get back into it, maybe they used to be able to lead 5.11 or 5.12 but want to lead 5.7 for a while till they get back to what they were. Or people like my wife that boulders V4-V5 but doesn’t want to lead anything over 5.8. I don’t know it seems to me that a gym that doesn’t set easier lead able routes isn’t doing their job, we have several 5.7s and a few 5.6s on our lead walls. I don't know, it's just my opinion.

Raiden

Nov 28, 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 116 (14611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

1) time climbing. usually someone who is comfortable enough to take the sharp end should be able to climb 5.9 in the gym.

2) steepness. gyms want you to be on overhanging terrain when you're leading- at least most of the time. this makes for safer falls. most gyms dont make their vert to slab walls leadable, or if they do, its not much of it.

3) generally speaking, most gyms just dont set routes under 5.9 for leading. most people who lead are cranking .10 or harder (in the gym) and theres just no point in having a bunch of 5.6s in the gym that are leadable. i guess you can call that elitist, but the reality is that 5.9 in the gym is just not that hard and if you cant manage it, the gym owner is probably not going to be psyched to have you on the sharp end.
+1

Particularly number 3 - I have rarely seen many routes in the gyms I've climbed at that are under 5.9. Maybe one or two in the gym I climb at now. That's just how it is - most people who are leading are at least a little serious about climbing and can probably climb 5.9. There's not a lot of motivation to set 5.6 lead routes because almost nobody would climb them (and as he said many lead walls are at least slightly overhanging which would be tough to set a 5.6 on..).

I don't think it's as much elitist as they just want to see that you can lead a route safely.

bill413

Nov 28, 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #6 of 116 (14602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Raiden] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Raiden wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

+1

Particularly number 3 - I have rarely seen many routes in the gyms I've climbed at that are under 5.9. Maybe one or two in the gym I climb at now. That's just how it is - most people who are leading are at least a little serious about climbing and can probably climb 5.9. There's not a lot of motivation to set 5.6 lead routes because almost nobody would climb them (and as he said many lead walls are at least slightly overhanging which would be tough to set a 5.6 on..).

I don't think it's as much elitist as they just want to see that you can lead a route safely.

You just don't climb at a gym with reasonable route setting for folks who want to start the sport. Yes, 5.9 is not that high a level for the gym rats - but it's quite hard for new climbers or folks not devoting lots of time to the sport. If "rainbow" or 5.9 and up are your options, you won't get many folks climbing past their birthday parties.

A lot of route setters are only interested in setting routes that they find challenging; or trick move. It takes a good route setter to put up interesting routes at lower as well as higher grades.

Raiden

Nov 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #7 of 116 (14598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
You just don't climb at a gym with reasonable route setting for folks who want to start the sport. Yes, 5.9 is not that high a level for the gym rats - but it's quite hard for new climbers or folks not devoting lots of time to the sport. If "rainbow" or 5.9 and up are your options, you won't get many folks climbing past their birthday parties.

A lot of route setters are only interested in setting routes that they find challenging; or trick move. It takes a good route setter to put up interesting routes at lower as well as higher grades.

I disagree - there is a slab wall that is all top rope with some very easy routes. There are also plenty of other top rope routes that are much easier and harder than 5.9. I think that the route setting is plenty reasonable for those who want to start the sport. Those who want to start aren't looking to lead quite yet and I think getting a base of strength and experience on top rope is a good idea before starting to lead anyway.

There are plenty of easier interesting routes they just aren't on lead.

rschap

Nov 29, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 116 (14569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The gym that I bought back in March has always been great for intermediate through advanced climbers and as long as you climbed upper 5.10/V1 or harder this place had plenty to climb and it was a lot of fun. Anyone that wanted to get started had a couple of easy routes but no progression to work up to intermediate. Since we bought it I encouraged the setters to continue setting the intermediate through advanced but then started setting a lot of easy routes on top of it, business almost doubled from the previous year in the summer. I was told that no one top roped they all boulder so I don’t need to worry about top ropes but since we started setting easier top ropes we sell way more top rope day passes than boulder passes and people actually comeback more than once or twice. To neglect the beginner climbers is not a very good business strategy and to say no one will climb the easier routes is a head in the sand approach in my mind. The majority of people that “climb” will never climb anything harder than easy 5.10. I guess what I’m saying is the more beginner friendly the gym is the more beginners you will get and while some of them will advance quickly others will work forever and never climb a 5.11. To say it’s a waste of time to set easier routes is an elitist attitude, good or bad, it just is.

edit for spelling.

(This post was edited by rschap on Nov 29, 2010, 12:55 AM)

rschap

Nov 29, 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #9 of 116 (14563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also wanted to say we have a 5.7 a 5.8 and a 5.9 on this wall and they are the most climbed routes in the gym. All leadable.
Attachments: IMG_4980.JPG (33.1 KB)

bennydh

Nov 29, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #10 of 116 (14518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I’ve lead 5.0 outside, hell even a 5.4 multipitch, I’ve even done a 16 pitch 5.7. To say someone can’t lead because they can’t climb a certain grade just seems elitist to me. Sure 5.9 isn’t that hard for most people but it’s not that easy for everyone.

Its not the gyms responsibility to prepare you for 16 pitch 5.7s outdoors. It is their responsibility to turn a profit, and prove a business model, while using the climbing wall areas effectively, and keeping members safe, happy.

5.9 seems to be a good break in point to being a solid leader, clipping safely, and staying controlled in an environment where you put others at risk.

Lead walls are usually overhanging, and great for training power endurance. IMO, as well as from my experience, lead walls seem to be a waste for training on most climbs that aren't in the 10+ range.

...besides 5.9 is the new 5.4. Tongue

vegastradguy

Nov 29, 2010, 9:17 AM
Post #11 of 116 (14466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
The gym that I bought back in March has always been great for intermediate through advanced climbers and as long as you climbed upper 5.10/V1 or harder this place had plenty to climb and it was a lot of fun. Anyone that wanted to get started had a couple of easy routes but no progression to work up to intermediate. Since we bought it I encouraged the setters to continue setting the intermediate through advanced but then started setting a lot of easy routes on top of it, business almost doubled from the previous year in the summer. I was told that no one top roped they all boulder so I don’t need to worry about top ropes but since we started setting easier top ropes we sell way more top rope day passes than boulder passes and people actually comeback more than once or twice. To neglect the beginner climbers is not a very good business strategy and to say no one will climb the easier routes is a head in the sand approach in my mind. The majority of people that “climb” will never climb anything harder than easy 5.10. I guess what I’m saying is the more beginner friendly the gym is the more beginners you will get and while some of them will advance quickly others will work forever and never climb a 5.11. To say it’s a waste of time to set easier routes is an elitist attitude, good or bad, it just is.

edit for spelling.

imho, the vast majority of TR routes in a gym should be 5.9 and under, maybe .10a/b and under. this is because you're absolutely right, neglecting beginners is elitist and the vast majority of your customers are beginners.

that said, beginners are not leaders, by and large. folks who are psyched to climb more and become leaders are also psyched to climb harder. yes, there is the odd exception to this rule, but its just that, an odd exception, and as a business person, you need to set to your demographics.

obviously, in grand junction, your model works. in another city, it might not. it depends. but, from a sheer safety and numbers standpoint, it makes sense to require or expect your leaders to climb 5.9 and up. ymmv.

fwiw, my gym has virtually no top ropes, and ever single climb in the gym is leadable, from 5.5 to 5.13. and, a fair number of people lead the 5.8s in there, but i dont think ive ever seen anyone lead anything easier.

Jooler

Nov 29, 2010, 7:20 PM
Post #12 of 116 (14409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it depends on the people coming to your gym. The majority of gym climbers (wait for an uproar from the gym rats?) are newbies, people trying climbing for interest, etc. Therefore there NEEDS to be lower routes. However, not all gyms have enough new people coming to make setting lower routes worthwhile.

If the people coming are primarily "experienced" (which in my opinion means they can LEAD 5.9 or higher in a gym) then there is little benefit a gym will gain from paying their staff to consistently set/reset lead routes lower than 5.9. I say lead because I think that is the thing in question here.

One more thing (yea my post is all over the place...)...
I have to agree with the earlier post that said people should be comfortable climbing 5.9 and up before they lead. To be honest, if someone is having trouble top roping a 5.6, I would rather not have them leading that same 5.6 as the risks have increased substancially.

I'll quickly address what I believe the argument to that will be: what about those 5.9 top ropers who want to lead those 5.6s? A gym is a business that is there to make MONEY. I believe the majority of gyms do not set less than 5.9 for lead routes because their benefit (increase in $$) does not outweigh their costs (paying route setters to set/reset 5.6s). Make sense? That being said, its a gym to gym thing, one gyms perspective can differ majorly from another.

Edit: apologies for how unorganised my post is. Also, I think I just reiterated what vtg said in the post before mine...

(This post was edited by Jooler on Nov 29, 2010, 7:22 PM)

acorneau

Nov 29, 2010, 8:39 PM
Post #13 of 116 (14367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Texas Rock Gym used to require that you could climb 5.10's before taking a lead lesson/class/test. When I took over teaching classes I changed it to the recommendation that you're comfortable climbing 5.9's since most of our leading starts around 5.8's.

The majority of our lead area is overhang, but we took over one adjoining vertical wall so that we could have some easier terrain as well as some more variety in styles available.

olderic

Nov 29, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #14 of 116 (14356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One more data point. Talking about a grade of 5.x IN THE GYM is pretty silly. It's pretty universally accepted that most gym grades are grossly inflated most of the time. If someone can't climb the typical 5.9 GYM ROUTE - then they probably shouldn't be leading. If they can lead Gunks 5.5 on the other hand....

Partner j_ung

Nov 29, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #15 of 116 (14342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

I don't think there's a single decent reason to, in effect, ban everybody who can't climb up to an arbitrary level from leading. From a certain perspective, such a tactic might even make a gym less safe, not more. I have personally set hundreds of leadable sub-5.9 routes and never once saw a problem that I couldn't also find around the corner on harder terrain. In fact, I've had far more little safety chats with people who I think progressed into double digits too quickly, than with those who were perfectly happy leading sixes, sevens and eights.

Partner j_ung

Nov 29, 2010, 9:19 PM
Post #16 of 116 (14338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
One more data point. Talking about a grade of 5.x IN THE GYM is pretty silly. It's pretty universally accepted that most gym grades are grossly inflated most of the time. If someone can't climb the typical 5.9 GYM ROUTE - then they probably shouldn't be leading. If they can lead Gunks 5.5 on the other hand....

IMO, that's yet another sweeping generalization. I'm not saying those gyms don't exist, but I highly doubt they're in the majority.

Partner drector

Nov 29, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #17 of 116 (14330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
Can someone give me a non elitist reason why a person would have to be able to lead at least a 5.9 in order to pass a lead test in a gym?

If it were my gym, I would want to ensure that you have a good chance of not falling until the crux. I would also set the lead routes so that the first two clips are not too hard and the crux is up a bit higher so the fall is cleaner. Having a bunch of 5.7 climbers falling at the first clip is not good and who wants to dumb down the bottom of the lead routes to keep the 5.7 leaders safer while making the route challenging for the more experienced climbers?

Dave

Raiden

Nov 30, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #18 of 116 (14282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

I don't think there's a single decent reason to, in effect, ban everybody who can't climb up to an arbitrary level from leading. From a certain perspective, such a tactic might even make a gym less safe, not more. I have personally set hundreds of leadable sub-5.9 routes and never once saw a problem that I couldn't also find around the corner on harder terrain. In fact, I've had far more little safety chats with people who I think progressed into double digits too quickly, than with those who were perfectly happy leading sixes, sevens and eights.

Let's say *IF* there are not leadable routes under 5.9 in a certain gym, I think it's a very decent reason to test them at that level - this wouldn't be an arbitrary grade in this case, but instead making sure they are at least capable of climbing the easiest lead grades for the gym.

j_ung wrote:
olderic wrote:

IMO, that's yet another sweeping generalization. I'm not saying those gyms don't exist, but I highly doubt they're in the majority.

+1

"universally accepted" is a little outrageous for sure - depends on the setter in the individual gym.

kletter1mann

Nov 30, 2010, 3:58 AM
Post #19 of 116 (14241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

Coming from a gym owner with lots of beginners AND hard core 5.12 types: exactly what he said. Some weaker climbers complain about it, but guess what - they're the ones I really don't want leading. We keep most of the leading away from the toproping anyhow. And if some old timer comes in saying he used to pull 5.11s at the gunks but now he just climbs 7's, we'll let him have at it. But there won't be much to climb cause there aren't enough people like that to make the setting worthwhile. Finally, to point #3, setting leadable 5.6's on a wall like this isn't easy.
Attachments: shoe_demo_people_sm.jpg (40.3 KB)

rschap

Nov 30, 2010, 5:24 AM
Post #20 of 116 (14216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think J_ung worded it quite well and that is much my argument. I just want to add…

I disagree that beginners don’t lead. I started leading a couple of months after I started climbing and while I was climbing 5.9 easy 5.10 I wasn’t comfortable leading it yet. I led 5.6/5.7, lots of them and as often as I could. By the time I was leading 5.9/5.10 I was comfortable and confident in my leading abilities and it wasn’t a big deal. If I had to wait till I was strong enough to lead 5.9 I would have had to wait longer and I think it would have hindered my advancement as well as adding undue stress to my first leading experience. Leading is a skill that needs to be honed just as any other skill and the sooner you get people working on it the sooner they will get it. I would also rather see someone fumbling a clip while hanging on a big jug with good feet for their first lead.

I think to have an automatic disqualifier other than incompetence is problematic. For instance, I have a route setter at my gym that is 13 years old and she sets really great routes. We have her set one route a week for membership since she’s in jr high and we have people coming in asking if she’s set yet this week so they can work on her new route. Don’t get me wrong she’s not the best setter in the world or anything but people really like her routes and they enjoy working on them. If we had an automatic disqualifier like an age requirement or a must climb at least 5.12 to set requirement she wouldn’t be able to set.

I don’t think it’s the responsibility of a gym to get you ready for 16 pitches of 5.7, I was making the point that a route doesn’t have to be hard to be challenging and fun and there are places that have a lifetime of climbing under 5.9 if one chooses. I did start working on the logistics of multi pitch in the gym however, We would lead up and work from anchor to anchor for hours without touching ground. Silly? Sure but my first hanging belays were in a gym.

The argument that gyms shouldn’t waste their time by setting easier lead routes is an elitist attitude. I don’t care what anyone says a “good” route setter can set a good fun 5.6/5.7 as well as their V11 project. If they can’t they are not a “good” route setter. I don’t know about anywhere else but routes over V6/5.12d don’t make money for the gym. Sure we have a few 5.13 and harder climbers but they usually find a way to climb for free by setting routes or working for the gym in some way. If you don’t have beginner climbers leading it’s because you’ve discouraged them from trying or you haven’t set the routes for them to climb.

A gym owner should do as he or she sees fit and I’m not trying to say they should do it my way. I’m just trying to find a reason other than elitist BS or perhaps incompetence with the gym staff not being able to tell when someone is ready and therefore have to have automatic disqualifiers so they don’t have to deal with it.

rschap

Nov 30, 2010, 5:30 AM
Post #21 of 116 (14212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kletter1mann] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kletter1mann wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Coming from a gym owner with lots of beginners AND hard core 5.12 types: exactly what he said. Some weaker climbers complain about it, but guess what - they're the ones I really don't want leading. We keep most of the leading away from the toproping anyhow. And if some old timer comes in saying he used to pull 5.11s at the gunks but now he just climbs 7's, we'll let him have at it. But there won't be much to climb cause there aren't enough people like that to make the setting worthwhile. Finally, to point #3, setting leadable 5.6's on a wall like this isn't easy.

You are entitled to your opinion and I’m not trying to change your mind but that is exactly the elitist attitude I suspected was behind a rule like this.

jt512

Nov 30, 2010, 5:38 AM
Post #22 of 116 (14202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Leading in a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
olderic wrote:

I agree. At the only two gyms I've been a member of, their routes have been more stiffly graded than typical outdoor sport routes. I sport climb at least a couple of letter grades harder outdoors than I do at either of these gyms.

Jay

vegastradguy

Nov 30, 2010, 5:50 AM
Post #23 of 116 (14196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
I would also rather see someone fumbling a clip while hanging on a big jug with good feet for their first lead.

Yeah, uh, it's called 5.9 in the gym. Seriously- a slightly overhanging 5.9 in the gym will be giant holds with one thin move after a bolt.

I would also note that your accusation of all of the reasons presented to you as being elitist is fairly judgmental- I gave you my personal opinion on the matter, and agreed with your points on grades in the gym, and yet you call me an elitist, which is odd because on a really good day, im leading 5.11 in the gym and will happily lead anything thats leadable in the gym.

I think you're are looking at people who say- 5.9 is a good barometer for leading because it indicates to me that this person is strong and competent enough to deal with the rigors of leading- and assuming that their elitist because they use this as a measure. I would argue the exact opposite- theyre trying hard to not be elitist, but put a tangible number on leading for their $8/hr employees that will ensure the smallest number of f**kups possible.

Again, it's totally situational, and I'm pretty sure most successful, popular gyms have lead requirements that satisfy their particular demographics. You obviously found that your gym was not satisfying it's demographics properly, made a policy change, and voila, you're finding success. Don't judge other gym owners on their policies- each owner has to look at their facility, demographics, comfort level with leading, and make their own decisions on who they want leading and what they need out of them before they let them rope up.

Raiden

Nov 30, 2010, 6:14 AM
Post #24 of 116 (14188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
I would also note that your accusation of all of the reasons presented to you as being elitist is fairly judgmental...
I think you're are looking at people who say- 5.9 is a good barometer for leading because it indicates to me that this person is strong and competent enough to deal with the rigors of leading- and assuming that their elitist because they use this as a measure...
Exactly - like several people have said. I'm not sure why he asked this if he already had his mind sit on all this "elitist" stuff and didn't actually want responses.

rschap

Nov 30, 2010, 3:29 PM
Post #25 of 116 (14128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appear to have offended you and that was not my intent. I can see how my last post can be perceived as name calling and my choice of words was not the best. I will admit it is unlikely anyone will reverse my position on this matter but that is not a reason to not have a discution. I make up my own mind but I bounce ideas off of others to see their opinions, and welcome a debate. I posted this question because I honestly can not see a reason for a rule like this. You raise good points but I do disagree with you. In our gym if a beginner climber wants to learn to lead and I don't feel he's ready I set up a QuickDraw low to the ground and tell him/her, when you can clip this with either hand in either direction while hanging on the wall I will give you the next step. Then the next step is demonstriaghting proper top rope belay without any mistakes on an ATC for at least a week. Little things like this keep them engaged while leaving it up to them and giving options rather than you're just not good enough.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook