RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Aug 6, 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2811 views)
Shortcut

looking glass and rumbling bald crack protection
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am starting my rack and will be mostly climbing rumbling bald and looking glass in NC. My question is what size cracks do I need to be prepared to protect. I dont want to buy huge or tiny protection if I dont need to when I start buying pro. I know I will eventually end up getting some of the specialty sizes but I just want to buy what I need for now. Any ideas what size cracks, eye brows etc I will be protecting.

cody

(This post was edited by photocodo on Aug 6, 2012, 8:27 PM)

csproul

Aug 6, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] looking glass and rumbling bald crack protection [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NC in general has very little in the way of very uniform cracks, so a good size range is nice to have. You can get away with not having large gear (bigger than #3) for the most part. Eyebrows often protect with smaller finger sized cams (TCU's, Aliens, Masters in the #1-#4 Blue-Red) or Tricams in the pink range. I have also found that offsets work pretty well in eyebrows, but certainly not a necessity. RB can take a little of everything from 0 Metolius on up to #3 Camalots. The real answer is that you need to be climbing/cleaning gear in these places before you can make a good decision. Use other people's gear and see what you like to use. A good range works well (#1 Metolius on up to #3 BD) and should get you through most anything.

johnwesely

Aug 6, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with cams from blue metolius range to #2 camalot range. That should have you set up pretty well for 90% of stuff.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 15, 2012, 4:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never used much over 4" when climbing at at either place, and generally 2" and less was good.

BTW... Stoppers are cheap, and will sew up more than you may think if you are proficient. I prefer to place stoppers and save cams for when I need a quick or multidirectional placement.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook