Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
U-Frame vs. Single Stem Cams (Acme Flexbot vs. RE Robots)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

olympicmtnboy

Feb 6, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

U-Frame vs. Single Stem Cams (Acme Flexbot vs. RE Robots)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm looking for some cheap cams to build up my rack. It seems to me that the Rock Empire Robots and Acme Flexbots (not the plain Acme cams without cam stops) are the best deal. Anybody have experience with these? I've seen lots of reviews on the Robots, but nothing on the Flexbots. The Robots are U-frames, versus the single stem Flexbot. I haven't used U-framed cams much, what are the advantage / disadvantages of each?
Thanks. :-)

P.S. I'm not looking for any new comments on cheap gear being worth the price or suggestions to go buy BD Camalots and CCH Aliens.

calpolyclimber

Feb 6, 2003, 3:15 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

U-Frame vs. Single Stem Cams (Acme Flexbot vs. RE Robots) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend has the Robots. I like them. Also, Linkupgear.com has the Wired Bliss Quad Cams for $34 each on sale, and I hear they are bomb-proof. They are pretty much the same thing as the Metolius cams.

slcliffdiver

Feb 6, 2003, 3:33 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U stems have a tendency to walk a bit more and sometimes the extra stem width can get in the way of some placements (generally more of a problem with small cams). You can get a bit more precise control in placement with U stems than with floppy flexible single stems (more so with larger cams).

Peace

David

rockjunkie

Feb 6, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they are just like the metolius cams but with rolled-pin cam stops instead of the ones that are molded or whatever into the lobes. you can't use the wired bliss cams passively, you can the metolius though. i bought som wired bliss cams, haven't gotten to use them yet though.

nailzz

Feb 6, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One slight advantage to the u-stems (at least the Metolius cams, and from what you are saying the ones you have are very similar in style) is that you can pull the trigger with one finger by using only your thumb and first or middle finger on the center portion of the trigger. This could come in handy on the smaller models where narrow cracks may only allow one finger.

This was a point made to me by a rep for Metolius, and personally, it's never come into play for myself, but I can see his point.

I wouldn't consider this a deciding factor in choosing the u-stems over single stems, but may be worth considering.

twrock

Feb 6, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stewart, have a look at this thread. It should answer your question at least in part. http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=25099&forum=19&16

I do own some of the smaller Flexbots and like them. (But I don't own the Robots.) They were bought specifically for aid climbing, but there is no reason they wouldn't work well generally. I do own a lot of U-stem cams (even a first generation #4 Camalot). I like U-stem for the protection the stem gives to the trigger wires, single finger trigger action, and because they seem to tangle less when they are racked (YMMV).

jhwnewengland

Feb 6, 2003, 5:12 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the Acme Flexbot cams are the same as the Trango Flex Cams, which got an A in Climbing's cam review.

http://www.climbing.com/Pages/equipment/equipment-212.html

I'd go with them. I prefer the single stem, too.

jumaringjeff

Feb 6, 2003, 5:49 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer single-stem, and I happen to own a set of the Acme Flexcams. I'm very happy with them.

jj

arlen

Feb 6, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U-stem cams do pivot more than single-stem cams, but they may walk more or less depending on the placement. In fact, DMM advertises the pivoting as a desirable feature. I'm not sure it's that great, but I do find overcammed Robots easier to clean than overcammed Camalots, because you can jerk the sucker back and forth and get it to shift.

That said, I'd go with the single stems for starters, because they require a tiny bit less deliberating about placements. Robots and Flexbots are both made by Hudy. And for god's sake, get some Camalots and Aliens!

gearslut

Feb 6, 2003, 9:13 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own both, but not in the same sizes. I like both, but if I had a chance to redo, I would just get flexbots.

Flexbots have thicker cams, better separation for the middle cams, and single stem over the robot's thin cams, too narrow middle cams, and u-stem.

wlderdude

Feb 7, 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a full set of Trango Flex Cams, which are identical to those Flex bots, and 1 Robot Cam.

I have noticed that the Robot cams will really only work with 1 finger retracting the trigger, whereas Metolius cams (with a wider trigger bar) work with 1, 2, or 3 fingers, and you can even use your palm instead of your thumb to shouve them in fast. Depending on how pumped you are, this may or may not be an issue. The single stem cams all require 2 fingers.

For this reason, I would go with the Flexbots.

In the larger sizes, you want the lobes further apart to keep the unit stable, so the Flexbots will be a better choice sice the cable goes between the lobes.

For samller sizes, you might want the more narrow profile of the Robots.

Both have cams stops (which I consider a must).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook