Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bakedjake

Jan 31, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #26 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

My Aid Tree - I'm so proud - Pictures Added [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude..that is so wrong!! I spent some time as an arborist and the trick is not to wear spikes and especially never to pound nails or screws into it. It invites disease to the tree. That's like unheard of to a professional tree climber. In some countries the use of foot spikes is illegal. The challenge is to get to the top with a climbing belt and lanyard without any other aid. Check out ebay for these, I bought a belt w/lanyard for around $15.00USD. I just climbed a tree in a local park last weekend and used my boreals to eliminate scratching it.
Practice Tips:
Belay - tie off with webbing around trunk towards top of tree not into pro screwed into it.
Getting rope up there when you can't - carry a hank or ball of small diameter line with a weight attached to the end. Toss this above next branch and use to pull up your lead/top rope.
Want to learn more - go here http://www.treeclimbing.com/ BBCode End -->

Thanks
David [out of the closet tree lover]

[ This Message was edited by: bakedjake on 2003-01-31 11:24 ]

copperhead

Jan 31, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #27 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blazesod,

It's 'misanthrope'...

bakedjake

Jan 31, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #28 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I would consider plugging a piece of steel into a tree is to keep it off the sawmill table.

Thanks
David [proselytizing]

passthepitonspete

Jan 31, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #29 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I grew up on a beautiful ravine lot in Hamilton, Ontario. In our backyard were a number of 400-year-old oaks.

I had a hunk of static rope fixed about sixty feet up - I tied a rock to the end of a lighter rope, and worked my way up the tree by tossing the lighter rope through the "Y's, and jugging up.

It was a training place. Back in the days when my ex-wife [then] loved me, she jugged up. And believe me, she was going WAY out of her comfort zone.

Which was very attractive.

At the time.

Like, the tree huggers just don't get it, eh? A screw in the tree will bother it about as much as a mosquito bite bothers a moose.

Practise hauling rocks to 1. Use the 2:1. Practise clusterf*ck management. You can find some great CF management tips by going to my Index to Dr. Piton Stuff post, and look for the one by fishypete entitled, "Help Dr. Piton - it's eating me alive!"

Practise setting up your ledge while hanging in your aiders. Do it in the dark while it's raining, or ask a friend with a garden hose and a good sense of humour.

Once you have mastered setting up your ledge and fly in the rain, you will get smart, and thenceforth you will flag your ledge.

Send pics!

mojorisin

Jan 31, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #30 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This post really has me thinking. I took my daughter out back one day last summer and we climbed a tree using the sling wrap method. We only got up about 25 or 30 feet but we made up some hauling systems to practice with and did some hauling. I never thought of setting up a ledge. The nieghbors think Im wacked out anyway so what the hell. If you can put up some pics of your project.

canrocker

Feb 1, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #31 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An aid tree in front of your apartment? Darn, all I've got is the Chief in Squamish. Just your run-of-the-mill 2000 ft tall rock. Ah well, I guess some of us have to make some sacrifices
-CR

jumaringjeff

Feb 1, 2003, 1:10 AM
Post #32 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

poor tree......

tenn_dawg

Feb 1, 2003, 1:15 AM
Post #33 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha Canrocker

I know I know, you've got it good. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. I'm heading to the Tennessee Wall tomorrow so It will at earliest be sometime next week. I'm waiting for a sunny day so you can see the finer points of my "Poor Tree" in good light.

Majorisin,
Good luck on that portaledge, I'm the current "high bidder", and not scared of snakes in the grass. Bwah ha ha!

Travis

canrocker

Feb 1, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #34 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tenn dawg,
Don't worry about me- I'm still a beginner wishing I could get up that sweet sweet block-o-granite. Ahh, some day... anyways you've got T-wall eh?
-CR

mojorisin

Feb 1, 2003, 1:09 PM
Post #35 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya know,,,,tigers wait in the tall grass too. A snake,,,,jeeeeez

wlderdude

Feb 1, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #36 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe when you are done with your aid route, you can set up a rope or tire swing for the kids (and anyone else who acts like one) to play on.

Oh, and don't mind the Loraxes. It's just a well intentioned reflex they have of "Speaking for the trees."

Enjoy your "Thneed" tree.

orangekyak

Feb 1, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #37 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tenn-dawg said:
Quote:
"Although it is easy to take the liberal path and disapprove of the use of trees for anything ..."

I liked your suggestion about taking a forrestry class. But I think you need a poli-sci class. What does tree hugging have to do with being liberal?

I hate to get off topic (ha!) but what are you saying? I'm all for the aid tree, and I'm liberal-minded. And now I'm confused. Fix me.

beyond_gravity

Feb 1, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #38 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you bolt the Tree on lead?

full-time-climb
Deleted

Feb 1, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #39 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beyond_gravity....Too funny.I'm going to have to post your reply on funny climbing sayings.
"Did you bolt the tree on lead?"

tenn_dawg

Feb 2, 2003, 1:40 AM
Post #40 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay okay, you've busted me. I know nothing about politics. I changed it from the State of the Union Address the other night because "American Idol" was on.

My "liberal" comment spawned from the tendency of the liberal party to work for preservation, as opposed to the conservative party who tends to work for the economy, and sell the trees. It goes no deeper than that though. Trust me.

B_G,
Yeah, I bolted it on lead! It was great, I felt like a barrel chested bruiser pounding in pitons! The first pitch is all 3rd step placements, but on the upper one I'm going to include some 2nd, and mabey a topstep move. The Adj. Fifi makes all of the difference on the world in those higher steps.

On low angle, or easy stuff, I don't know if I'd use it from my third steps though. It takes a little bit of extra time, and in reality, if it's a bolt ladder, the fifi isin't really nessessary. I sure had it sinched in tight when I was pounding though. It really makes it alot more comfortable.

Travis

Who lost his ledge on an ebay auction today because he was climbing. Damn.

apollodorus

Feb 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #41 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you're ready to move up from A1, pound knifeblades and bugaboos into the tree. Use the eye screws for pro every five or ten moves.

rideandclimbkid

Feb 2, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #42 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bugaboos would prob. be pretty bomber in an oak tree haha.

zeegrinch

Feb 3, 2003, 3:37 AM
Post #43 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U-all don't have any of dem dare man
made concrete things u-all could bolt up
doya!

rideandclimbkid

Feb 3, 2003, 3:50 AM
Post #44 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol im gonna make me an aid tree. ill set up my HOMEMADE bivy i fondly call my Mattaledge(haha hell yeah), and oh gee what a wonderfull time to enlighten some of my female friends on the joys of jugging and bivy-ing in the trees! . breakfast in bed sounds mightly appealing, followed by a nice tyrolene traverse(the speedy way), some hauling(to the top of the tree of course), and then some full length aussie raps! what a day!

I plan on doin' all this, but on the more serious side, bolting a line up a tree sounds like the perfect way to dial in your hauling and general aid/multipitch systems. if you screw up, you can grab a branch. when was the last time you saw branches and leaves growing on the face of a rock?

-Matt

evoltobmilc

Feb 7, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #45 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds awesome! I wish that I'd practiced my systems at home before hopping onto Prodigal Sun in Zion to practice on the way out to the Valley. We were so incompetent on Prodigal Sun that we bivied at the top of the first pitch. We've also honed our ice climbing skills on a tree before, but I look back at that a little embarrased, since I'm sure we were doing WAY more damage to the tree than your bolts.

My only concern is this: On your second pitch, with the slung Y as your anchor, what happens if the branch you're on breaks off? For your anchor I'd suggest slinging a Y created by the main trunk and a DIFFERENT branch than the one you're climbing, just to be safe.

tenn_dawg

Feb 13, 2003, 11:38 PM
Post #46 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Evol,

Haha, funny you mention that. I was lapping on it yesterday before I dropped my GriGri, and the wind started blowing really hard.

The tree was swinging WAY back and forth. For the first time I thought about what would happen if it broke. I dont think that there is any way that I could escape serious injury. Even if I did sling the opposite side of the Y, my lead rope would still have to support the entire top half of the tree if it broke.

Not to mention that my body would be the stopper that kept the end of the rope from slipping through the eye bolts.

Ha, kinda freaky when you think about it. My tree's not going to break though. He's a tough un'.

Travis

bandycoot

Feb 14, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #47 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man... WHERE ARE THOSE PICS!!! I'm way jealous. The only easy aid practice I can do is in a climbing gym that is TINY!

Josh

tenn_dawg

Feb 14, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #48 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patience, Grasshoppah.

Ze pictures are on ze way.

Travis

tenn_dawg

Feb 22, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #49 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alrighty, here are the pictures. Sorry they are all self taken, but my room mates did not have the sence of humor needed to watch me climb 30' of tree then take pictures of me.

Some people just don't Get It.

Here is a picture of me preparing to clean the tree. I'm using one jug, latched to an adjustable Aider, and my GriGri. I suggest leaving your adj. FiFi (if you use one, which you should, at least on hard stuff) set with about 1 foot of slack out.

When you come to a piece, just stand up in the aider, and stick the FiFi in the handle of the jug. Then you are hanging from the jug, and can easily clean the piece. This alone makes it worth carying the Adj. FiFi on easy aid.

Preparing to clean.

Here's a shot looking down from my Aiders near the top. Russ couldn't come through with any russians, so Standards it is. They work well though. I keep all of my stuff in that white box when I walk out there, because it's so close that it dosen't make sense to pack everything up for the 1 minute walk from the car. You will notice no backup knot loop in this picture, but can see a knot hanging below me. This is the wrong way to do this, as you should clip into the knot with a short sling and a locker incase of GriGri, or Main carabiner failure.

I'm not sure why It was hanging there like that when I took the picture.

Looking Down From Aiders.

And finally, here's a shot of my anchors. Notice that the lag bolt on the left is improperly oriented. It should be turned 90 degrees either way so that the crab sits perpendicular to the tree. This makes plling the ropes much eaiser. This IS the correct orientation for all of the lead bolts though.

My Aid Tree Anchors.

I highly suggest building one of these to anybody wanting to dial their systems on a basic level. My and my partner (lack of photo taking enthusasiam aside) have been having races up the tree trying to better each others time. You'd be suprised how slow you are at first, but also by how much time you shave off with a little practice.

Travis

bandycoot

Feb 23, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #50 of 57 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're a pimp. I want one of those to get my systems down. Oh well... Maybe I'll go plant one in the back of my new house and have a place to practice when I'm 50... ;) Thanks for letting me know there wer pics! Your idea is great! :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook