RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

extrememountaineer

May 28, 2003, 9:10 PM
Post #1 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Your Opinion Please...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There has been a couple of comments about this picture having a selection line wandering around through the middle of the picture with the bottom half being a bit washed out. I really don't see it...I did do a selection line to sharpen the upper half of the picture after butchering the resizing-I am terrible at this digital stuff. Can we kind of take a poll here and see if everyone else sees it? Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. I am not saying it doesn't exist, I just don't see it on my monitor.
http://www.photo.net/...o_id=1521151&size=md

curt

May 28, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #2 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Re: Your Opinion Please... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On my flat panel monitor the line is quite obvious.

Curt

kalcario

May 28, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #3 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the first things the user manual that comes with Photoshop tells you to do after you install the program is calibrate your monitor using the Gamma control panel that comes with the program, did you do that? You must not be the only one who doesn't see the mask artifact, or whatever it is, because people are giving that shot some pretty high marks...either that or you're being patronized by your buds...

Partner drector

May 28, 2003, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't see it with my default settings but I can clearly see it by adjusting the color balance on the monitor.

overlord

May 28, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #5 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can also see it after messing a little with color setting, but not on default.

crazywacky

May 28, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took the liberty of highlighting the selection line for the graphically challenged...

Hope you don't mind... :-)

http://houseofmayhem.ods.org/images/opinion.jpg

Basically it looks like the lower half is waaaaay darker than the uper half of the photo.

You should have shapened the entire photo.
It may have turned out a little cleaner...

Later.

holmeslovesguinness

May 28, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that you mention it, yeah, I can see what you're talking about - looks like a selection mask outline from an image editing program.

kindredlion

May 28, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yuppers I see the line strait up... Using an LCD Screen..

Don't see it on my CRT monitor without adjustments...

Take Air,

Adam

kalcario

May 28, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder what % of people who vote on photos have properly calibrated monitors...velly intelesting...

climbinghiker

May 28, 2003, 9:43 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to say, but I see it aswell...otherwise an awsome pic!

extrememountaineer

May 28, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I see what you are talking about. That is not a selection line, that is the shadow line. It was early in the AM and the sun wasn't even hitting the tops of the trees yet. I just pulled out the original slide and that line is in the original image. No wonder I didn't see it, I was looking for something else.

alpiner

May 28, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also consider that Macs use a different gamma than PCs so a pic that looks good on one may not on the other. But reflections are always darker than the main subject, which is why a split density filter is needed (or photoshop).

kalcario

May 28, 2003, 9:53 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Okay, I see what you are talking about. That is not a selection line, that is the shadow line. It was early in the AM and the sun wasn't even hitting the tops of the trees yet.*

WHAT? You're outta your mind. Are you telling me that if I was standing there with you when you took that shot that line would be there? If that was the shadow line then the trees would be in the sun. Again, is your gamma control panel up and running? Play with the settings and you'll see the line.

crazywacky

May 28, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Okay, I see what you are talking about. That is not a selection line, that is the shadow line. It was early in the AM and the sun wasn't even hitting the tops of the trees yet. I just pulled out the original slide and that line is in the original image. No wonder I didn't see it, I was looking for something else.

I see the shadow line as well. But the selection line is higher in the image, actually it looks to be halfway up the trees.

If you can, post a link to the original, un-manipulated image and compare... Or resize it to fit the same specs without sharpening or adjusting the colors...

And like climbinghiker said, it's a really good shot. I'm gonna have to start using slide film...

jeffers_mz

May 28, 2003, 9:59 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm using a new monitor, 17", sRGB, 6500K, Gamma 2.2 and really can't pick it out as posted here. Punching up the brightness using Photoshop, about 25 units, makes it stand out clearly.

I would probably have gone for the waterline, since using a natural feature tends to be less obvious. Also, once the mask is overlaid, Photoshop's "Feather" feature allows you to ease into the manipulation, rather than having it take place on a discrete line of pixels. After adjusting the top half of the image, I'd have then used the "Inverse" tool on the mask options and worked the lower area of the image as well.

Finally, since the concept of calibrating a monitor never even occurs to most comptuer users, and they just twist brightness and contrast to full maximum, the last thing you should do before saving the modified image (always with a different name, NEVER modify the raw data file) is punch up the brightness about 40 or even 50 points to check for just this issue, then cancel the action before the save.

jerrygarcia

May 28, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #16 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On my flat panel monitor the line is quite obvious.

Curt

same

kalcario

May 28, 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #17 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*the last thing you should do before saving the modified image (always with a different name, NEVER modify the raw data file) is punch up the brightness about 40 or even 50 points to check for just this issue, then cancel the action before the save.*

I can't modify the raw data, it's on a Kodak PhotoCD-ROM, as in read only. And if I boost the brightness 40 or 50%, it is totally washed out, are you saying I should upload the shots this way to compensate for people with uncalibrated monitors?

geckoee

May 28, 2003, 11:01 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, make sure to check the image with the brightness and contrast way up. Most computer users turn those two knobs to the max so text and web stuff is more legible. (especially on cheaper monitors that don't have the gamma range. :( ) I usually lay a filter on top of the photo with the contrast and brightness way up so I can check for editing flaws. If you tweak the knobs around a little small flaws will leap right out at you and you can fix them. Before I flatten and save the image I just disable the filter layer.

PS I know the photos I up-loaded to RC suck. I'll up load some I like eventually. :wink:

extrememountaineer

May 28, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #19 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, after reading the responses here, I cranked up the brightness on my monitor from 63 to 100 and I can see it now. There is a naturally occurring sharp black line that basically follows the selection line.

Kalcario said...
In reply to:
One of the first things the user manual that comes with Photoshop tells you to do after you install the program is calibrate your monitor using the Gamma control panel that comes with the program, did you do that? You must not be the only one who doesn't see the mask artifact, or whatever it is, because people are giving that shot some pretty high marks...either that or you're being patronized by your buds...

I did not receive a manual...Photoshop Elements came with my scanner software. Obviously, sir, it looked fine on my monitor and many others' as well, like I said I never claimed to be a digital expert. You kind of have a condescending attitude in your criticism...Criticize the shot, point out the mask line, whatever, but keep your "patronized by your buds" remarks to yourself. I guess everybody that voted it high is just some dumbass.

In reply to:
If that was the shadow line then the trees would be in the sun.

You are wrong, the shadow line I am speaking of is something behind the trees, hillside, boulders, etc. I just didn't do a good job of matching the selection line.

extrememountaineer

May 28, 2003, 11:19 PM
Post #20 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wouldn't let me delete this post.

kalcario

May 28, 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

* I did not receive a manual...Photoshop Elements came with my scanner software. Obviously, sir, it looked fine on my monitor and many others' as well, like I said I never claimed to be a digital expert. You kind of have a condescending attitude in your criticism...Criticize the shot, point out the mask line, whatever, but keep your "patronized by your buds" remarks to yourself. I guess everybody that voted it high is just some dumbass. *

At the risk of sounding patronizing myself, you should get the real deal, Photoshop 7.0, and get rid of Elements, you are obviously interested and talented enough to learn and use it, and yup, most people out there who are voting on our shots don't have properly calibrated monitors, as your high marks prove. Sad but true.

k9rocko

May 28, 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your digital image has a line...... a really bad one. My monitor is Adobe Gamma tuned. I would not say it is a selection line, without seeing a higer resolution version of said photo..... but that is what the first look would lead someone to suspect.

I am sure the photograph is beautiful on slide, and quite possibly this isn't even slightly your fault. I have noticed the film -> digital transition is very equipment/software dependent. If you don't have big money gear, you don't get big money results.

I have been recently impressed with the newer digital SLR cameras with the look and feel of a "real camera." I have taken some shots that really impressed me. I have decided to get one, but lack the 1,100.00 for the camera body. It will take all my current optics, so that is a saver!!

Otherwise, your photo is beautiful..... and you might take another crack at scanning it. I suggest a Inkleys / or Ritz photo shop. They seem to still have an 'eye' for color, where the walgreens and wal marts have completely lost it.....

Partner coldclimb

May 29, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #23 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see the line, but only on a really close look after seeing the post where it was pointed out. It looks to me like the bottom is slightly lighter than the top. I myself would fix it by dumping the color of the top part into the bottom section with a slight tolerance factor, so it gives it the same color up to the edges of that black part where it goes to other colors. Hope you understood that, and good luck. :)

jeffers_mz

May 29, 2003, 10:21 AM
Post #24 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*the last thing you should do before saving the modified image (always with a different name, NEVER modify the raw data file) is punch up the brightness about 40 or even 50 points to check for just this issue, then cancel the action before the save.*

I can't modify the raw data, it's on a Kodak PhotoCD-ROM, as in read only. And if I boost the brightness 40 or 50%, it is totally washed out, are you saying I should upload the shots this way to compensate for people with uncalibrated monitors?

No, don't save it with the brightness turned up until the image washes out. Increase the brightness to see if anything ugly jumps out at you, then cancel the increase in brightness before saving the file.

thomasribiere

Jun 15, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what is a Gamma blahblahblah??? :shock:

And I just changed my screen's parameters, and the pictures become so awful suddenly. I never thought it could change so much the qualities of a picture... Some pictures which appeared very nice can become just uninteresting... :?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook