RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

justuspr

Aug 17, 2003, 7:38 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Rope Twist: Cause and Cure?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a 60m Maxim rope, about 1.5 years old, haven't climbed on it much the last 8 months or so (pregnant wife/ partner, and now a new baby) So we went out yesterday for a few hours and the rope kept twisting. I pulled it through and tried to get all the twists out 4 times, but each time I would wiehgt it, it would twist again. Any one have any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can stop it from happening.

Oh and NO I did not coil it, its flaked into my rope bag and has been since I got it.

Thanks

jughead

Aug 17, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope Twist: Cause and Cure? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

same thing happens to me and my partner i have a mammut flash 60m he has a beal galaxy 50m i think that its because of the way the ropes threads are twisted and when you ptu your weight on it it starts to untwist thats my guess anyway

alpnclmbr1

Aug 17, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you haven't used it many times the twists are most likely from how you uncoiled from the factory coil. With a new rope you want to untie it to the point that it forms a big coil, place both arms in it and roll the rope out like a garden hose.

At this point find a big cliff to hang it off full length and let it straighten itself out.

addiroids

Aug 17, 2003, 9:38 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another thing that might help, is not tying in on the ground until the leader pulls up the rope. Yeah, you do have to tie a stopper knot while belaying for safety, and watch it while he is up roping, but it helps.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

apollodorus

Aug 18, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpnclmbr1 has the answer. At the factory, the rope is wound onto a spool, then slipped off the end and knotted. You MUST unwind the rope before you use it, or even moderate loading can permanently kink and twist it. If you just pull one end off the factory coil, you will leave about 50 twists in the rope. Loading the rope with these twists forces the fibers together unnaturally, fixing the twists and kinks.

I don't know about other mfgrs, but Mammut is very high quality stuff, they've been making ropes as long/longer than anyone, and they use a balanced weave in both the core and the sheath to eliminate twist. If you unwind a Mammut rope before using it, it will not twist under load.

justuspr

Aug 18, 2003, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies... so is it permanently twisted or will hanging it fix it? If it is permanently twisted does that decrease it's strength or anything or is it just anoying?

overlord

Aug 18, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would say try to untwist it. or even better, hang it from a high position and leave unweighted (but make sure the sund doesnt get to it).

as for the strength reduction, i havent a clue, but twist sure are annoying.

btw, what kind of belay device are you using??? figure8 really twists the rope.

mike_ok

Aug 18, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I got my newest Blue Water, someone on this site gave me the idea of tying it around a tree (pole, whatever) and walking the distance of the rope to unkink factory kinks. Worked perfectly, and lets you fix the rope when you leave on the flatlands and only get to the crags on the weekends at best.

maculated

Aug 18, 2003, 3:58 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always obsessively flake out new ropes. Those things go through my hands easily fifty times before they every see rock. That works mighty nice. :)

alpnclmbr1

Aug 18, 2003, 4:54 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for all the replies... so is it permanently twisted or will hanging it fix it? If it is permanently twisted does that decrease it's strength or anything or is it just anoying?

I have never seen a permanently twisted rope.
I am sure that being twisted will not weaken the rope significantly.

As addiroid said everytime you lead a sport route, untie and let the rope hang just off the ground, then pull it and let the far end spin out also. It is good to pull it from the lead end fairly often as this will let you change then end you lead the next route on, which is good for your rope anyway.

Rappelling single line, full length or a regular rap with a atc type device will help. Munters or fig 8's will twist your rope.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 18, 2003, 4:59 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The core is twisted, and the sheath is not. When you load the rope, the core wants to unwind to allow for elongation, as this is one things that adds to the dynamic action of the rope. This is how it was explained to me.

All of my ropes get twisted easily till after I do a few double rope rappels... This allows for a balance to be achieved between the sheath and the core.

Works for me. :wink:

pehperboy

Aug 19, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was told to find a bridge or balcony, something high enough to let the full rope out, and tie about 20 pounds to the end. Just let it dangle and untwist as it hangs. That's about the best way. You can flake it out, whipping it in parts with your wrist, but that will only partially solve the problem. Mine was twisted after storing it too long in a butterfly coil.
And if you can do the same with a new rope, using a bridge or balcony , so much the better. At the very least uncoil it as described and don't use it until it's flaked out properly to remove factory coils.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook