Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 7:09 AM
Post #126 of 146 (4796 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sport and Trad Compliment one another [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

In reply to:
It's 1986 all over again. I would have guessed that by now this topic would have died down. There were fanatics back then, and there are fanatics now (e.g. Curt). The truth, however, is still the same. Climbing, whether sport, trad, bouldering, alpine, or gym is all cool. And everything complements everything else.

Absolutely. Let's all join hands and start singing "We Are The World."

Curt

dirtineye

Jan 28, 2004, 7:17 AM
Post #127 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
And I was just starting to like you too.

Well you ALMOST have great taste in scotch.

Oh great, another scotch n00b to set straight.

In reply to:
What do you think of the balvenie sinlge barrel 15 year then? that's a pretty fine one to me, had the most honey flavor and nose of any. If you like lavagulin, do you also like laphroaig?

No, I do not like Laphroiag or Ardbeg or the other heavy Islay malts as much as I like Lagavulin. Lagavulin is the only Islay malt that does use Sherry barrel aging to mitigate the intensely peaty and smoky characteristics of the whisky from that island.

In reply to:
Just about all scotch is ages in sherry barrels I believe.

Nope. Just a select few. And, fewer distilleries still age ALL their malt in Sherry barrels.

In reply to:
I donlt think it is the port barrel that makes the balvenie 21 good I think it is hte 21 uyears LOL. Besides, you said alreayd you like the double wood, adn HEY one of those is on port RIGHT? ( I know it is unfair to cite something you sad more than two posts ago, but deal with it LOL)

Wrong again. In the double-wood aging, the first aging is done in virgin American Oak Barrels, and the final aging is done in Sherry barrels.

In reply to:
I will send yo ua PM about a funny thing with alcohol adn climbing that woudl just set off the spray detectors in here hahaha,

OK. I'll be looking for it. Haha.

Curt

NOt a scotch noob you scotch snob, I've been drinking as long as you ahve in fact I'ma year older that you you young pup! just forgetful. It's been a while since ai did anything but drink em but I uesd to be in taht line of work, adn it isdemanding let me tell you, all that tasting, I mean, you have to be sure th stuff is good eh? And I do not limit myself to only scotch! Course I did mostly wine, but the prices of wine are sooo ooutrageous now. bah. @00 bucks for somethign that is not even ready to drink adn we used to get it for 24 0r 35. Rediculous!

YO ustill didn't say if you liked the balvenie single barrel 15 year. I kind of think it is way better than the double wood, but as a scotch heretic you might think differently.

bobd1953

Jan 28, 2004, 7:20 AM
Post #128 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Curt wrote: Absolutely. Let's all join hands and start singing "We Are The World." Tard.

Curt, I must admit, you do have some great moments...keep up the good work.

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 7:25 AM
Post #129 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dirtineye,
In reply to:
NOt a scotch noob you scotch snob, I've been drinking as long as you ahve in fact I'ma year older that you you young pup! just forgetful. It's been a while since ai did anything but drink em but I uesd to be in taht line of work, adn it isdemanding let me tell you, all that tasting, I mean, you have to be sure th stuff is good eh? And I do not limit myself to only scotch! Course I did mostly wine, but the prices of wine are sooo ooutrageous now. bah. @00 bucks for somethign that is not even ready to drink adn we used to get it for 24 0r 35. Rediculous!

YO ustill didn't say if you liked the balvenie single barrel 15 year. I kind of think it is way better than the double wood, but as a scotch heretic you might think differently.
OK, you either do indeed have vast recent experience with alcohol, or you can't find the spellcheck button. :lol: By the way, which distilleries have you visited in Scotland?

Curt

bobd1953

Jan 28, 2004, 7:35 AM
Post #130 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:

I guess I can blame my spelling on the vodka. And I am writer for god-sake!

okinawatricam

Jan 28, 2004, 7:39 AM
Post #131 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
6 pages! Good thread Eman. Any use of the words sport and trad in the same sentence is guaranteed to launch the mother of all name-calling battles. I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that the sport v trad war is still so hot. I thought it died down years ago.

Where's the love? It's all climbing, just get out and climb whatever makes you hap

Thanks Dave. Maybe my site points will go up now. :wink: I would have to agree with you, it seems that some people are really stuck in the dark ages on this. I especially like the guy who said that gym climbing was more rock climbing than sport. Go figure. Of course, I like you would not be here if I didn't have to. Working in front of a computer really sucks.

Last weekend I put up a new line. A 55meter 11- on the weird basalt. 6 pieces of gear (two of them RPs). I promptly rappelled the line with drill in hand and added some bolts, 11 actually. I guess that makes me a gumby sport climber. Of course, I didn't think bouldering was considered a fad any more either.

acw

Jan 28, 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #132 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Do you remember 1986 Curt? Were you busy doing "B2" as your pretentious bio says that you were doing (yeah, right - in your dreams). Trad climbing is great - I love it and I've done tons of it. Sport climbing came along a lot later, but it's taken the sport in a direction that has been beneficial to the industry.

dirtineye

Jan 28, 2004, 7:40 AM
Post #133 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Do you know how long it woudl taek the spell check to go over my pecking???? Besides, my dyslexic typing is almost art at times. I't sort of like having a style all your own.

ANd what does visiting a distillery have to do with tasting the product? Distilled spirits are not liek wine. NEver even been to scotland. I've never been to infinity either but I know how to use it LOL. not sure how it tastes though.

HAHA now I remember, you are the spell fanatic. I knowa girl on another dlimbing site taht is really a stickler on grammar adn spelling and pucntuation, asn I told her I was going to do a aclimb and call it the filthy grammarian LOL.

speaking of names for climbs, we did one last week we decided to call ," Southern Soft Men" for reasons I can't divulge LOL, but that have nothign to do with sex.

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 7:46 AM
Post #134 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Do you remember 1986 Curt? Were you busy doing "B2" as your pretentious bio says that you were doing (yeah, right - in your dreams)

As a matter of fact I was. If you don't believe me, why don't you ask John Gill? I've bouldered with him since 1982. There's not much in your bio by the way. Oh, and by the way, I am still bouldering B2.

Curt

bobd1953

Jan 28, 2004, 7:48 AM
Post #135 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Do you remember 1986 Curt? Were you busy doing "B2" as your pretentious bio says that you were doing (yeah, right - in your dreams). Trad climbing is great - I love it and I've done tons of it. Sport climbing came along a lot later, but it's taken the sport in a direction that has been beneficial to the industry.

Dude, not so pretentious when it is the truth.

And just what industry would that be?

bobd1953

Jan 28, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #136 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Curt wrote: I am still bouldering B2.

I don't think this wanker knows what you are talking about. Way before his time!

dirtineye

Jan 28, 2004, 7:59 AM
Post #137 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

HAHAHA you can't talk about who you climb wiht, it is not PC on RC,com!!! SPRAY ALERT!!! Some guy climed with people I have read about so even though they are his friends and to him it is the same s me talking about climbing with my friends, since they are well known it's a SPRAY FEST!!!

MORONS. I hate morons. What do you think, these renowned climbers just esist in a vaccuum adn never climb with anyone but themselves, that they don't have friends like every one else?

Are they supposed to be worshiped becasue they climb really hard stuff and so the rest of us can't mention their name? HELL most of the wellknown climbers I know are just people for gods sake, they watn to be treated like normal people, adn for some fool to say , " You are being pretentious to mention your friends in your profile, that is just stupid beyond comprehension.

HAHAHA how's that for a rant?

roughster

Jan 28, 2004, 8:08 AM
Post #138 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Alright last warning before the split tool comes out. Please refrain from the personal attacks and off topic posts.

dirtineye

Jan 28, 2004, 8:20 AM
Post #139 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Alright last warning before the split tool comes out. Please refrain from the personal attacks and off topic posts.

How about just locking it? I mean really, has not everything that can possibly be said about this been said? And you know the sport vs trad thing will come up again in a week or so, and we can do it all over again.

acw

Jan 28, 2004, 8:39 AM
Post #140 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Okay Curt, I apologize for spouting off at you. It wore thin leading the sport climbing charge back in the 80s. I just couldn't believe that it's still going on. It's entirely possible that we met sometime long ago. Below is a brief bio:

Name: Alan Watts
Hometown: Bend, Oregon
Climbing history: I did a lot of climbing at Smith Rock, California, and Europe during the 80s. I started as a trad climber and boulderer, but eventually moved on to sport climbing. I don't climb much anymore, but still pull down every once and awhile. I also did B2 back in 1982.

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 8:40 AM
Post #141 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey acw,

Just to follow up on a previous point of yours, this is a page from John Gill's website -

www.johngill.net

http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Shannon.html

Not to make you look stupid or anything, since you've already done that to yourself.

Curt

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 8:44 AM
Post #142 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Okay Curt, I apologize for spouting off at you. It wore thin leading the sport climbing charge back in the 80s. I just couldn't believe that it's still going on. It's entirely possible that we met sometime long ago. Below is a brief bio:

Name: Alan Watts
Hometown: Bend, Oregon
Climbing history: I did a lot of climbing at Smith Rock, California, and Europe during the 80s. I started as a trad climber and boulderer, but eventually moved on to sport climbing. I don't climb much anymore, but still pull down every once and awhile. I also did B2 back in 1982.

Hey Alan,

We have met before, but I doubt you recall. However, I have bouldered extensively with Chris Jones over the years--and consider him to be a good friend. In fact, I introduced him to his wife! No hard feelings.

And, I now feel pretty stupid about a couple of comments I made to you. I guess I have a little editing to do in a couple of posts. :wink:

Curt

acw

Jan 28, 2004, 8:48 AM
Post #143 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Chris is a great friend. He and Ruth live here in Bend. Chris is the strongest boulderer that I ever climbed with - an awesome talent. I always felt weak when I was around him (because I was).

curt

Jan 28, 2004, 8:51 AM
Post #144 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Chris is a great friend. He and Ruth live here in Bend. Chris is the strongest boulderer that I ever climbed with - an awesome talent. I always felt weak when I was around him (because I was).

Well, please say "hello" to them from me. I am now reminded that I owe them an e-mail. :oops:

Curt

roughster

Jan 28, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #145 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Welcome to RC.com Alan! Not exactly the warm welcome I would have hoped for, but eh ;)

Its good to have you on board and look forward to hearing more from your perspective!

Aaron

roughster

Jan 28, 2004, 9:11 AM
Post #146 of 146 (4804 views)
Shortcut

roughster locked this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

Since this has pretty much turned into personal topics, I do believe its best to just lock it now. Its great to see that not all is what it seems. *Hint* Alan Watts was called a newbie in this thread, LOL :lol:

Anyways, as stated above, I am sure this issue will come again soon enough and we can all go round about it again :)

roughster has locked this thread.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook