Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Delete climbing area (Brown Rocks, State College, PA)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

nafod

Apr 2, 2004, 4:38 PM
Post #1 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Delete climbing area (Brown Rocks, State College, PA)  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southcentral_Region: Pond_Bank__aka_White_and_Brown_Rocks_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This climbing area needs to be deleted from the DB, or else some amplifying info needs to be offered up. I live in State College, and have never heard of the place. Which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it's just that listing the place in the DB has a usefulness of exactly zero.

There is another Brown Rocks in PA, the author of this entry might be confused. Not enough info to determine.

There ought to be some sort of minimum data you have to provide to a climbing area entry before it can even appear, no?

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 2, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Re: Delete climbing area (Brown Rocks, State College, PA) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do some research and fill it out, and quit whining. We are not gonna delete something because you don't like what is there, unless of course I missed something, and you are now the person who sets site policy.

Looking at your profile, and thanx for the 3 whole routes you've put in the RDB, but it appears that you have a "usefulness of exactly zero" in regards to the site right now. We won't delete you, so why should we delete the Area ???

Get into the sollution and see if you can find the info, instead of just b!tching. You can at least contact the State MGR instead of making a big public stink. Fair enough request ???

nafod

Apr 2, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #3 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do some research and fill it out, and quit whining. We are not gonna delete something because you don't like what is there, unless of course I missed something, and you are now the person who sets site policy.
Yes you missed something, but that wasn't it. Duh. Before posting I'd already tried to find additional info about the area from among my local brethren, and no one's heard of the place. I did a google on Brown Rocks, found a place 100 miles south of here. Definitely not State College. The place does not exist. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Is it site policy to make climbing places up? Sounds like fun. Randomly pick a state, city, and name, and enter it. Let the locals prove it doesn't exist.
In reply to:
Get into the solution and see if you can find the info, instead of just b!tching. You can at least contact the State MGR instead of making a big public stink. Fair enough request ???
B!tching? I suggested a solution. Delete it.

Somewhere out there maybe someone knows about why it was entered in the DB, or has more info that can make sense of it being entered in the DB. Sending a private message to the State MGR won't draw that out.

Also this is a bigger issue, how to keep the quality of the DB up. A worthy topic, no?

rwaltermyer

Apr 2, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #4 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hang on... mr. nafod,

now I was the one who voiced up concern about cleaning out PA's Dbase, but lets be somewhat rational.

Yes, its another submission by whenindoubtrunitout so we have to look at it with some sketicism. However, Brown Rocks exists somewhere...in some guide book. Whenindoubtrunitout's submissions never have the proper location attached (they have been off by over 100 miles! in fact) so take his submissions with a grain of salt and then correct them.

Of course, the bigger problem is whenindoubtrunitout.

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 2, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #5 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me see if I can explain the sollution:

1. Contact the State's MGR (they are listed at the top of the page)

If you don't like the results,

2. Contact the Admin in charge of the RDB and it's Staff, Doug. (polarwid)

If you still don't like the results,

3. Contact me.

Get it ??? There is a process, but making a thread saying "delete this area" is not it.

Fair enough ??? Or do we just delete it because you made a post telling us to do so ???

nafod

Apr 2, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #6 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let me see if I can explain the solution:

1. Contact the State's MGR (they are listed at the top of the page)
2. Contact the Admin in charge of the RDB and it's Staff, Doug. (polarwid)
If you still don't like the results,
3. Contact me.

Get it ??? There is a process, but making a thread saying "delete this area" is not it.

Fair enough ??? Or do we just delete it because you made a post telling us to do so ???
No, we don't delete because I said we should. Or even because I convinced one of three listed above that we should. We delete it because we discuss it as a community, and a consensus emerges. In order to generate discussion, I posted "delete it".

I think the consensus at the moment is I should have kept my opinion to myself. : )

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 2, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #7 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the consensus at the moment is I should have kept my opinion to myself. : )

I don't think so... I think you should have contacted the MGR first, then Doug 2nd if not happy. I think you should not have made a post about it, as it's easier to catch flies with sugar, not vinegar. Your original post in this thread had much vinegar brutha. :wink:

fredrogers

Apr 2, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #8 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all for making the database as accurate as possible. Nafod may just want to edit the area with a description that says something to the effect of "A guy named whenindoubtrunitout added this area but most locals agree that this area may not exist". If it does exist then maybe someone will add directions someday. If it doesn't exist then some route manager will someday delete it.

I think nafod was making an effort to improve the database and was unsure of the process of how it's done. He shouldn't get flamed for that.

graysondamondamian

Apr 2, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ditto :roll:

arrettinator

Apr 2, 2004, 8:43 PM
Post #10 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got a friend in Pennsylvania. :lol:

davidcollins

Apr 4, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #11 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't think so... I think you should have contacted the MGR first, then Doug 2nd if not happy. I think you should not have made a post about it, as it's easier to catch flies with sugar, not vinegar. Your original post in this thread had much vinegar brutha. :wink:

Mike

I agree that entries like this - where there is no information supplied and none available elsewhere - should be deleted. Did you or anyone contact the PA manager?

In my opinion, the main function of the PA section of the routes db is an entry point to information about local climbing areas. I don't usually find the listings helpful in terms of directions and specific route beta, but at least they enable one to get a foot in the door, and ask questions such as "what are the directions to crag X and can one toprope there." It helps to know the name of crag X and roughly where it is. The latest additions just diminish the route db's (already minimal) value in this regard. Heck, we could sit down one of these rainy weekends and inflate the PA route db to ridiculous extremes by concocting bogus areas.

I should note that cleaning up the db would have to be done with some care. Tim Anderson supplied some "empty" entries for SWPA but he has more information about these on his own page and will probably give you the beta if you contact him. These areas are just visited very infrequently and nobody has had the chance to say much about them. But the latest wave seems different and merits more scrutiny. "Canton" and "Mt Davis" of Pittsburgh? What are these?

David Colins

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 4, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #12 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The RDB has many areas that have very detailed info. Just one example is Holcomb Valley Pinnacles in California. This is just a small sport climbing crag, but many members have added a lot of info and pictures to this area, and the result is a very detailed area.

Click here to see what I mean:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=733

As the MGR of California, I check "what's new" for the state once per week, to see what is going up, but more for organizational purposes, and to make sure that redundant or errant Areas aren't being added. Even when users just put the area name up and no more, I still leave it, as it is info... I don't tell them they have to put more detail or it will be deleted.

Fact is, some states have more active MGRs than other states, and some states have more active members in regards to filling out info in the RDB. California has 484 Areas, Gyms, and MFRs as of today, and many of those have detailed info for them, as the members of the site actively enter beta into the RDB. It is a group effort... If nobody puts forth an effort in your state, then the info will suck. But if many work together to make it detailed, then it will be a valuable resource. It is up to those that live in the states or climb at the crags to do the bulk of the work. Hell, I have entered info for PA in Macanaqua and Tilbury, as I have climbed at those areas.

If you feel that your state is not represented well in the RDB, then contact the MGR for that state, and if you are not happy with the response, then you should contact Doug (polarwid) and offer your services at making your state better.

roclimb

Apr 26, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #13 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to three Brown Rock's in PA. Im sure the one being discussed is brown Rocks near Carslile in Mixcheaux (SP) SF. Its right across the road from White rocks in Pond Bank, PA.
~Rob

nafod

Apr 27, 2004, 1:04 PM
Post #14 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been to three Brown Rock's in PA. Im sure the one being discussed is brown Rocks near Carslile in Mixcheaux (SP) SF. Its right across the road from White rocks in Pond Bank, PA.
~Rob

Rob, could you update the Pennsylvania entry for Brown Rocks? I modified it to leave it open as to its location, you can fix it to point to Pond Bank, and add any details you see fit to add.

dontfall

Apr 27, 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #15 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pennsylvania has a state manager, kagunkie. Try to contact him via PM and see what he can do.

jkarns

Apr 27, 2004, 1:32 PM
Post #16 of 16 (7004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

done

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook