Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

guangzhou

Dec 5, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #1 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Writers Club
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This site has some really good photographers and writers. It sure would be nice to have a private group where we could critics each other as writers like the photographers have.

Is anyone interested in this.

Eman

Partner j_ung

Dec 5, 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #2 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Re: Writes Club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooo! I am! This needs to be in the Suggestions and Questions forum!

okinawatricam

Dec 6, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #3 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would be goodif it were private, so we can have people who are serious instead of just people bashing each other.

The idea is to have each contributor submit at least one peice of work a week. Other contributors comment and critic the work. Like a writer club.

Maybe this will work out,
Hope so

maculated

Dec 6, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #4 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm already in one from my college. I think face-to-face feedback is way more helpful, but I tell you what, I know I need some critiques for my stuff here.

slobmonster

Dec 6, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #5 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Re: Writers Club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This site has some really good photographers and writers.
Try: "Several persons who liken themselves to be 'photographers' or 'writers,' occasionally contribute to this URL, most often when drunk."
In reply to:
It sure would be nice to have a private group where we could critics each other as writers like the photographers have.
[sic]implied
In reply to:
Is anyone interested in this.
? [sic] No. I prefer a more traditional editor-writer relationship.

clausti

Dec 6, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #6 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

organic

Dec 6, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #7 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely post and reply drunk hahaha.

Partner philbox

Dec 6, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #8 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from Community to Suggestions, Questions & Feedback..

guangzhou

Dec 6, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #9 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like some people would profit from this. I agree that face to face would be much better, but unfortunately, I doudt we could all get together.

Since we are all interested in climbing,This would be for writing related to climbing.

The problem with an editor relationship is that you get the opinion of one person instead of the inut of several. Having various people critic, talk, and recomend changes will allow the writer to develop a storyline in way not previously tought of.

Eman

climbsomething

Dec 6, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #10 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know. My degree is in journalism, and I have editing experience- I was paid (not nearly enough) to read and unf!ck bad writing. Were I to play in an RC.com critique forum, I'd be harsh- people would hate me even more than they do now!

RC.com has a LOT of piss-poor writers. Even people who I know offline and I know are intelligent tend to be weak writers. Could well be my elitist standards, but I think a writers' critique forum would be painful.

Also, I'd assume this would be a climbing-writing forum (otherwise, it's irrelevant to this site). Climbing writing may not necessarily be prestigious but it is a pretty specialized niche. I do know of a couple professional climbing writers around here, and I am skeptical that they'd be able to tolerate such a forum for long...

g-funk
Deleted

Dec 6, 2004, 8:07 AM
Post #11 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's a great idea. It would probably be difficult for people to post regularly, but I'd definitely be down with giving it a shot.

guangzhou

Dec 6, 2004, 8:41 AM
Post #12 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harsh critics would be fine, but insult should be avoided.

Let's face it, a critic group should be to help guide the writer in the correct direction, not to completely turn him off of writing.

maculated

Dec 6, 2004, 9:29 AM
Post #13 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with ClimbSomething. I know that I would love some feedback on my climbing articles, but I'm also not all into writing climbing fiction and frankly, my experience has always been in creative writing courses and others - that lots of people think they have the stuff when they may not.

I'm a far stronger editor than writer, but if this were a give-take relationship, I prefer things to be not-free-for-all, but rather intimate with people I handpick and trust. Writing is personal. Critiquing is not, but I can guarantee you that like Hill, you would hate me.

And, come on . . .the title of this thread is "Writers Club" when we all know it should be "Writers' Club."

guangzhou

Dec 6, 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #14 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just what I like to see, a bunch of purist who believe in teaching writing through prescriptive methods. Unfortunately, many of these purist eventually become high school English teachers instead of good writers themselves. Reminds me of the grad-students who use to grade undergrad papers in college.

If you enjoy writing, WRITE. I don't care what type of style you want to use: journalistic, creative writing, personal essay, or poetry. Last, I heard, it was all writing. Like climbing, all the various forms of climbing reinforce one other.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 6, 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #15 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It might work well, but then again I don't want to go around reading a bunch of peoples' trip reports all that much, so I wouldn't be likely to actually do any critiquing. Would anybody else?

guangzhou

Dec 6, 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #16 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to think that people would submit more than trip reports.

prezwoodz

Dec 6, 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #17 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it would have a small but loyalistic following :) Really if you find yourself to harsh and think you would grade everyones work to the fullest than that can actually be a good thing. My teacher recently trashed my writing and wrote more corrections than i did words. i was upset at first but my next paper was way better...if anyone was to post in it than possibly they would be looking to become a better write rather than just get there story known. Which is where the critique would come in handy. And as for it being a trip report i think a big difference is that in a trip report you really want to try and explain where you went and how you got there. In alot of stories you want to explain where you went, how you got there, and how it felt on the way. The story unfolds alot better when feeling is introduced rather than narrated like a trip report. I dont know it could just be me... but i like writing as well and would be interested in entering some of my writings into the critiqueing even though i know how harshly they would be judged. And its pretty easy, if you dont want to make anyone feel like a worthless writer dont say anything...if you want them to improve than speak up! (Also i realize that this message is ridden with spelling errors and grammatical errors:)

colkurtz

Dec 6, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #18 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know. My degree is in journalism, and I have editing experience- I was paid (not nearly enough) to read and unf!ck bad writing. Were I to play in an RC.com critique forum, I'd be harsh- people would hate me even more than they do now!

RC.com has a LOT of piss-poor writers. Even people who I know offline and I know are intelligent tend to be weak writers. Could well be my elitist standards, but I think a writers' critique forum would be painful.

Also, I'd assume this would be a climbing-writing forum
(otherwise, it's irrelevant to this site). Climbing writing may not necessarily be prestigious but it is a pretty specialized niche. I do know of a couple professional climbing writers around here, and I am skeptical that they'd be able to tolerate such a forum for long...

no one ever likes to be editetededted ;-) and we all know how seesitive peoples are here

organic

Dec 6, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #19 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I

And, come on . . .the title of this thread is "Writers Club" when we all know it should be "Writers' Club."

or rather "Writer's Club" come on didn't you read Strunk and White's The Elements of Style?

I could not object to it, but why would I want to contribue writing to a bunch of people who don't know about writing.

dingus

Dec 6, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #20 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dmt

dingus

Dec 6, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #21 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dmt

clausti

Dec 6, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #22 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edit: delete.

jipstyle

Dec 6, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #23 of 130 (9924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This site has some really good photographers and writers.
Try: "Several persons who liken themselves to be 'photographers' or 'writers,' occasionally contribute to this URL, most often when drunk."

If you are going to be a dick and criticise aimlessly, you should at least do some research before embarrassing yourself. I suggest you look up 'URL' ... a Uniform Resource Locator is not something to which we can contribute.

:roll:

iamthewallress

Dec 6, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #24 of 130 (9907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen, cluasti!

If the "professional writers" can't "tolerate" the forum, then I'm quite happy to not have them join. I don't come to rc.com to discuss climbing only with pros. I wouldn't go to the writers forum for that purpose either.

FWIW...I think that a couple of you with wet ink on your diplomas are fine writers but no finer than a number of others who do not wave their creditials around like a flag and not yet as fine as some of the more seasoned non-credentialed writers here.

Screw tact. I prefer honesty. Especially if I join a forum with 'critique' in the title. You just have to be ready to take whatever you dish.

Partner taualum23

Dec 6, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #25 of 130 (9907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I have never submitted any of my writing to this site, I think I might if the proposed forum ever materializes. To those of you commenting on the fact that we don't need a line-edit forum, but an actual room for peer AND expert feedback....thank you.
I have been writing both fiction and non-fiction relating to climbing and other outdoor adventures for nearly two decades. I have NEVER claimed to be any good at it, but lay-persons have always enjoyed it. I would love to discuss it with some others on the site.
Looking forwrad to seeing where this goes.

J

PS- this post has not been edited for clatity, spelling, puntuation or soundinggoodedness.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook