Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Is it acceptable to serve beat downs to gear thiefs?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

davidorchard

Feb 3, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #51 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is it acceptable to serve beat downs to gear thiefs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so why was your stuff on it if you were not climbing it?

maybe next time you can leave a note on the first draw describing your intentions.

would it have been a bad thing if someone was climbing the route using the gear you left?

it sounds like bad form to "lick" a climb with your draws to call it yours and leave, but i seem to be in the minority.

it seems my questions have been answered.

eride810

Feb 3, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #52 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why didn't you just say "Um, hey, fellas? Those quickdraws are mine. I left them hanging on a route I was working, so may I have them back? In case you don't know, or are not from around here, leaving draws on the bolts is a common practice at this crag, and the local ethic is to leave them hanging. Thanks, and I appreciate your understanding."
That sounds about right to me. Then again, it always depends on the sitation. Were they sorry, or, were they pricks? A good tongue lashing in front of other climbers should square 'em away if they're cheeky.

1800lotions

Feb 3, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #53 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

David,
The next time I see you at Reimers fishing ranch I am going to smack you....

zozo

Feb 3, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #54 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why did you feel the need to "put the beat down"? One would think adults could settle such issues without violence.

There was probably a hottie standing nearby, and the dude was trying to move up in the pack. You know how it goes.

theflyingsquirrel

Feb 3, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #55 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no no no no. you should have delt them a severe ass beating. if you find something, especially gear, you first ask around to see if there is anyone there who you could ask " hey, is this your gear?" , second have some damn patience and wait to see if there is someone climbing to ask them, and finally you take one piece of gear you take it all damnit. you don't just take three pieces and leave six ,you take all nine or none at all. :D

theflyingsquirrel

Feb 3, 2005, 2:46 AM
Post #56 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or you could of been nice , but what do i care didn't happen to me an it ain't my crag.

1800lotions

Feb 3, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #57 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ZOZO,
Didnt you try to get a job with us and after calling your references we found out that you are not Exum material? I think it is pretty sad that you lied about your experience but find it more disturbing to see you being a prick on websites...I am so glad we didnt give you a job!

Tell us again about your 5.13 climbing,,,, liar!!!

zozo

Feb 3, 2005, 2:51 AM
Post #58 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

huh? I think thats called a touched nerve. Have a great night.

1800lotions

Feb 3, 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #59 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ZOZO,
Mommy and Daddy might think you are the best rock climber on the planet but everyone else down here knows the truth... Liar....Liar..Prana pants on fire, telling people lies and falling off spires!

jimdavis

Feb 3, 2005, 3:23 AM
Post #60 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ZOZO,
Mommy and Daddy might think you are the best rock climber on the planet but everyone else down here knows the truth... Liar....Liar..Prana pants on fire, telling people lies and falling off spires!

You are one angry man....
If you act like this at the crag, I hope someone takes more of your gear.

Tell you what, why don't you just leave your rope up too. You can leave your harness tied in to save yourself even MORE effort.

Where did you say this happened again? I could use a new rope.

And how did this thread not get locked yet?

Jim

1800lotions

Feb 3, 2005, 3:34 AM
Post #61 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not angry...I am tired of reading posts from people who make a living off climbing without even being good at it..I guess that is the curse of our sport..We used to be Indy Drivers and now we are overwhelmed with lippy bus drivers!

mountainrat

Feb 3, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #62 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live by the philosophy/belief/principle of "harm no other sentient being." Illustrating the mistakes made by said party to them calmly, confidently, and thoroughly may prevent them from making the same mistake, and treating others with the same respect/tact with which you treated them... (In a previous life, I would definitely have PUNISHED[/b the wankers, but those days are gone forever)

ikefromla

Feb 3, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #63 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) local ethic prevails. 2) if local ethic is not to leave draws, you're still a dick if you take them. 3) :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

addiroids

Feb 3, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #64 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#1) Don't leave your trash on the rock

#2) Don't be pissed when someone else cleans up your trash

#3) Don't be such a limpwristed sport climbing homo that you wouldn't beat the asses of the other little limpwristed sport climbing homos if they won't give you your gear back after you nicely ask for it.

It's not sport climbing that I hate, it's sport climbers. Especially ones that won't hand out an ass beating to high schoolers.

I think the poll should have been, ARE YOU NICE FOR NOT BEATING THEIR ASSES, OR ARE YOU A PUSSY FOR NOT GETTING YOUR GEAR BACK?

Pussy.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

oldfart

Feb 3, 2005, 6:10 AM
Post #65 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll have to forgive me, because I didn't read any of the previous bullshit, plus I am an old fart and I can't be expected to pay attention to any of this crap anyway.

What is "serving a beat down":

Playing some jive ass music?

Callin' someone's mama a ho?

Kicking someone's ass?

Giving a free burger to a homeless person?

What?

scarpenter

Feb 3, 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #66 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is nothing right about this situation. Sport, trad, whatever, there should be some consideration toward doing things clean and courteously. I would never leave a bunch of draws up - not because I thought people would steal them, but because it would be like littering all over the rock. I would also never take other peoples' stuff like that.

As a kid I stayed warm in jackets my grandpa found lost in the park while he was picking up other litter (this world is cleaner because of him!), but he would always check for contact info on the stuff and bring it back to the owners if at all possible. If we couldn't use it, the stuff went to the Salvation Army. Cleaning the world and helping people are right things to do; intentionally leaving your stuff behind or intentionally taking others' stuff are wrong things to do.

In the case of alpine raps, there isn't a choice sometimes except to leave some gear behind. In that case, do the right thing and leave behind quality enough stuff that other people can use it safely. It is your gift to your fellow climbers. To be really thoughtful, clean up all the unusable junk and take it with you.

By extension, if you find *fixed* gear on a route that is still useable, leave it there for other people to use it. It was another climber's gift to you and the people after you. If the gear is loose, and obviously just not cleaned, then clean it. The gear is yours for cleaning up the area for other people to enjoy it in a more pristine setting, but if the owner can be found then give them the stuff back. If you meet someone who had their stuff stolen, even if it wasn't you who did it, maybe you can be a buddy and give them some of your bootied gear to get them going again.

I know climbing to many is a self-serving, ego-centric sport, but c'mon people...

overlord

Feb 3, 2005, 1:00 PM
Post #67 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heres my view on the situation:

if the routes is abviously being worked on, you shouldnt take the draws. how do you know its being worked on???? theres more than just one or two draws on it, maybe the first few are removed (its actually really smart to do this, that way those lame enough to try and steal your gear probably wont be able to reach it since those who can climb routes worth leaving gear on while projecting wouldnt steal your gear).

but if its an obvious leaver its fair game. how do you know that its a leaver??? well, its cliiped pretty high, normally under the crux, theres only one or two draws and stuff like that. found gear is also fair game, but if the owner comes looking back (forgot to take it or something) please be kind enough nad give it back. good karma.

coloredchalker

Feb 3, 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #68 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Didnt you try to get a job with us and after calling your references we found out that you are not Exum material? I think it is pretty sad that you lied about your experience but find it more disturbing to see you being a prick on websites...I am so glad we didnt give you a job!

Tell us again about your 5.13 climbing,,,, liar!!!

You should leave youre employer out of this because your attitude and words on this thread reflect poorly on you and could effect your employer. I'm sure Exum's a good company but I wouldnt do business with you 'cause your acting like a jerk here.

thats my thought.

steph

Feb 4, 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #69 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all fairness to both parties, if it looks like gear has been abandoned then i dont think u'd find many climbers who'd leave it there to rot. If you find abandoned gear, how long r u supposed to wait there by its side before deciding its original owner bailed and was long since gone? But if its blatantly obvious (such as if the lowest draws and pro r still in reach) then yes a beat down is thoroughly deserved if some smartass decides to yoink it while ur away for 5 mins.

however if u dont want ur gear stolen dont leave it unattended - u think most climbers r courteous ppl but gear is money and some ppl dont have it.

lucas_timmer

May 5, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #70 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should wait a hour or two before you claim anything that looks ''bootieable'' If anyone couldn't finish a route or would take a break than they wouldn't let the stuff hang for a couple hours.

prezwoodz

May 5, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #71 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know how it is in the lower 48 but i dont like to use gear that is already on a route. I wont often use anything but the bolts if there are some and even those get sketchy. So if i was to climb this route and there was gear there than i might take it with me to test on a later date but use my own draws on it. I dont like the idea of falling onto unknown gear. And to just leave it alone would be like calling dibs on a rock and i dont really like that idea.

awsclimber

May 5, 2005, 2:25 PM
Post #72 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would take draws left on a climb just becuse they were left there. In addition to being just lazy sport climbers who leave gear are just being disrespectful to other climbers.
1) The draws are in other climbers way when climbing the route.

2) Stating that anyone can clip them is a cop-out, how is anyone but the person who placed the draws going to know that they are safe?

3) Draws on the rock are ugly. They may look cool after you've just climbed it and you're looking down on them, but who wants to walk up on a line of metal on the rock.

I'd take em.

scarpenter

May 5, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #73 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would take draws left on a climb just becuse they were left there. In addition to being just lazy sport climbers who leave gear are just being disrespectful to other climbers.
1) The draws are in other climbers way when climbing the route.

2) Stating that anyone can clip them is a cop-out, how is anyone but the person who placed the draws going to know that they are safe?

3) Draws on the rock are ugly. They may look cool after you've just climbed it and you're looking down on them, but who wants to walk up on a line of metal on the rock.

I'd take em.

I believe you've just described via ferrata.

keithlester
Deleted

May 5, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #74 of 74 (8143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get over it already, grow up, violence solves nothing, just makes things worse. Bad karma will follow you every time you think bad thoughts, even if I have to send bad karma your way. Where did you say you live? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook