Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

sethg

Sep 4, 2014, 6:11 PM
Post #126 of 128 (4895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just read this thread in its entirety for the first time.

It has been my privilege to be one of Gail's climbing partners over the past few years. We did not meet until 2011 so although I knew the basic details about her toes I never before realized quite how close she came to giving up the notion of ever climbing again. Thank God for Mitch and his ingenious inserts!

But even more credit goes to Gail, a woman of amazing strength and perseverance. I have always known that she must feel toe pain--all the time-- but I am here to tell you that in three years of regular climbing with her I have never once heard her complain about it. Not a single time. She happily scampers up climbs of every level or type (she long ago resumed climbing slabs like Never Never Land), and her technique is impeccable. She has been a patient mentor to me and I am always learning from her.

I think of myself as kind of an old man climber (I'm 45), and I get my share of nagging injuries and pains. From time to time I'll mention some little problem of mine to Gail and then almost immediately I feel like a pathetic excuse of a human specimen. Whatever issue I've got, Gail has had it times ten, and does it get in her way? Hell no. She is tough as nails.

She is an inspiration and I'm glad she updated this thread, because even though it begins in such darkness it has a very happy ending. Gail hasn't just returned to climbing, she climbs all the time, and well. She is living proof of what many kind people said upthread: don't let anyone tell you what your limits are. If you set your mind to do something, you just might be able to do it.

(This post was edited by sethg on Sep 5, 2014, 1:29 PM)

gblauer

Sep 4, 2014, 6:20 PM
Post #127 of 128 (4884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sethg] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow Seth, I am speechless. Thank you for your very kind words.

sethg

Sep 4, 2014, 6:44 PM
Post #128 of 128 (4870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] The Chronicle of my Toes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just telling it like it is!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook