Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

harrisha

Feb 12, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #26 of 116 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Re: What happened to TNF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Yeah, I used to have a old TNF bag > 5 yrs. It was awsome but the insulation lost its lofting power and I retired it. Now I feel they gone the way of mass marketed crap. I'd never pay $300+ for a TNF shell. Hell I wouldn't keep one if someone gave it to me. I'd turn around and sell it too some soccer momby telling her she needed three-ply XCR to go get the newspaper at the end of the drive way. I think my ultimate new gripe is the MET-5 (that jacket that has a battery and heats up).

On a side note, this girl I go to school with has a boyfriend who dad is one of VF Corp. vice presidents. I told her she should try to talk to him about TNF quality and prices, being that it is overpriced s#$%. She just kind of looked at me like what, despite the fact that its 70 degrees I'm stylin' my denalie jacket. You know the pink looks great with these boots and jeans. My point here is, as long as this is the customer base don't expect any drastic changes at TNF.

Partner csgambill

Feb 12, 2005, 2:34 PM
Post #27 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...but hey, let us, the climbing community, consciously develop these brands then sell the rights to some corprate conglomerate. If we set the start up right as an employee owned entity we all can make beer and gear money. Plus we can undermine the brand within the climbing community, after it is sold by submitting anynomous letters to the editor of rock and ice, explaining that product quality is about to take a major downturn.

You're right, it's all about voting for the brands with your $$$ guys.

harrisha

Feb 12, 2005, 2:49 PM
Post #28 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I used to have a old TNF bag > 5 yrs. It was awsome but the insulation lost its lofting power and I retired it. Now I feel they gone the way of mass marketed crap. I'd never pay $300+ for a TNF shell. Hell I wouldn't keep one if someone gave it to me. I'd turn around and sell it too some soccer momby telling her she needed three-ply XCR to go get the newspaper at the end of the drive way. I think my ultimate new gripe is the MET-5 (that jacket that has a battery and heats up).

On a side note, this girl I go to school with has a boyfriend who dad is one of VF Corp. vice presidents. I told her she should try to talk to him about TNF quality and prices, being that it is overpriced crap. She just kind of looked at me like what, despite the fact that its 70 degrees I'm stylin' my denalie jacket. You know the pink looks great with these boots and jeans. My point here is, as long as this is the customer base don't expect any drastic changes at TNF.

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 12, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #29 of 116 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

these were all split from Re: What happened to TNF? in gear heads...

somehow this guy managed to make 7 duplicate posts. taking up most of the page

yikes.

Partner cliffhanger9

Feb 12, 2005, 2:50 PM
Post #30 of 116 (2472 views)
Shortcut

cliffhanger9 locked this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

cliffhanger9 has locked this thread.

harrisha

Feb 12, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #31 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On another note:

One of my clinical rotations is in an innercity trauma center. TNF is VERY popular with my clientelle there. I can tell you from personal experience that it is NOT bulletproof.

Really, with their prices I would have expected the stuff to be made from kevlar. That stuff's like $1.50-$1.75 per sq. inch.

fallingup

Feb 12, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #32 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, all of you are right in one way or another. I have a TNF shell, two fleeses, a cat's meow, a daypack and an Alpha Aurora backpace plus some a shirt and pants. (Damn that's quite a bit of TNF stuff) All of it I purchased at some type of sale or recieved at a discount due to coupons or staff discount. While I probably won't buy any more TNF stuff what I have functions great for what I need.

mack_north

Feb 12, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #33 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've already seen someone on our campus that schedules intermural sports and pool schedules wearing a Cloudviel hardshell. I know the guy presonally, I don't think he even owns a backpack; definitly not a harness.
Cheers,
Jim

What? He wears a technical shell and he does nothing more technical than schedule pool schedules? We should get together a big crew of smug wannabe elitists and go kick his ass! Anyone who wears a Cloudveil shell needs to toprope at least 6 days a year according to my calculation!

mack_north

Feb 12, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #34 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've already seen someone on our campus that schedules intermural sports and pool schedules wearing a Cloudviel hardshell. I know the guy presonally, I don't think he even owns a backpack; definitly not a harness.
Cheers,
Jim

What? He wears a technical shell and he does nothing more technical than schedule pool schedules? The gall of it! We should get together a big crew of smug wannabe elitists and go stomp him like grapes! Anyone who wears a Cloudveil shell needs to toprope at least 6 days a year according to my calculation!

naw

Feb 12, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #35 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first got into climbing about 1.5 years ago I bought a Denali fleece on the suggestion of a lot of different internet reviews talking about what great jackets they were. I didn't know anything about technical windproof fleece at the time so I just went with the Denali. I met a girl who was really into climbing at the gym I climbed at a few months later, and she took me outdoor climbing for the first time. I had a bit of a thing for her, and the second night we were there we ended up staying up late talking long into the night. I was trying to brag about the new gear I'd gotten and I mentioned that I had purchased the denali fleece. She started at me, completely aghast, and said "that's a fratboy jacket." I sold it, bought a lowe alpine windproof fleece, and fell in love with her shortly afterwards. On a side note, for christmas this year, my 18 year old younger sister asked my parents for the same jacket...she told me they call it "the frat face."

mcfoley

Feb 12, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #36 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't tell me you are just now realizing this....???

ropefriend

Feb 12, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #37 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is amazing that the vast majority of this thread is about TNF apparel. They are fashionable now, but that trend will end (hopefully soon).

Their roots are in equipment innovation, like the Oval Intention Geodesic dome tent and serious expedition sleeping bags (their packs never really made top billing). They really were on the cutting edge in the 70's and 80's, even into early 90's. Vanity Fair Corp, who owns them now, has at least kept the TNF Climbing Team somewhat intact, which is more than most outdoor companies are doing for the sport. The A5 move to a 'lifestyle clothing' brand is sad indeed.

I did see that they got some kind of Backpacker Editor's Choice for packs now..... so maybe not all is lost. I believe that a company who abandons it's roots is destined to drift into oblivion.

Ropefriend

kman

Feb 12, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #38 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I bought a tnf goretex jacket with liner and pants in a back alley in China a year ago. They looked good but the jacket leaks and the zipper is on the wrong side.
I will not pay full price for tnf. I do love my discounted tnf sleeping bag.

LMAO!! You got ripped off dude!!!! Never heard of North Fake???

kman

Feb 12, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #39 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of you seem to think that it is wrong for people to wear TNF stuff because in your opinion people who wear them think they are hardcore wanabees?? Why does it bother you? Do you think that because you are climbers only you have the right to wear this stuff?? Laaaaaame. It's amazing what people whine about.

Alot of their stuff is crap...but alot of their stuff is good also. I have a few TNF items and they are all of excellent quality. Almost all companies have crappy product mixed in with good stuff.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 12, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #40 of 116 (12615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i will admit that i bought a denali a few years ago, probably on sale. ill sum up my opinion of it just by sayin i have no clue where it is at this point, and i dont care.

i agree with just about everything said here, its a shame A5 is now just a name. 95% of the people who wear the stuff have no clue what A5 even stands for, and id LOVE to see one of them all of the sudden find themselves 1/2 way up one :twisted:

but, despite all the things i hate about TNF, i will admitt i like their lightweight fleece pullover things. theyre comfy, and not the big deal the denalis are. the main thing i like about them is that i can actually roll the sleeves up above my elbows. with other brands, like ems rei cloudveil etc, i find my forearms are to big to push the sleeves up over them, in the sizes that fit my torso, the sleves are to tight :shock:

clausti

Feb 12, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #41 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe... cutting the tags and labels off...

I did that to an AF beanie i really liked that I bought when I first chopped all my hair off and it was *COLD.*

We normally just say that TNF abercrombieizing.

abercrombie used to have such cool, preppy clothes.

and DAMN but they are slutsRus now.

dawgcatching

Feb 12, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #42 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder what will happen to Marmot now that they have been purchased by K2 sports? I am sure all of the manufacturing has been moved to China (same thing happened with Dana Designs when K2 purchased them). We sell K2 skis, and the quality and product isn't the same as when it was made here in the USA. Unfortunately, the prices are still the same.....

rhu

Feb 12, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #43 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a guy that I suspect was homeless a few months back in Kansas City. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he had a Cat's Meow sleeping bag! This really confused me. I guess that everyone thinks the stuff is bomber.

walrus

Feb 12, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #44 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I bought a tnf goretex jacket with liner and pants in a back alley in China a year ago. They looked good but the jacket leaks and the zipper is on the wrong side.

It looked good. I suppose I had a 50/50 chance. It is still functional for some things.

verticalcrag

Feb 12, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #45 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive had the same TNF jacket and shell for a few years now and love it..........................although i wont buy ne more of there gear for a good long time........................it makes me mad to see all the damn fratmatresses and all those idiots wearin the shit, when they have never touched a rock or a backpack in there entire life...........................................idiots

jtnottree

Feb 12, 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #46 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just for the record...

About 1980 I bought a North Face GoreTex jacket, which I both wore and washed a lot. A couple of months ago, I sent it to North Face to be repaired, and told them they needn't contact me unless the repair was over $80.

Instead of repairing the darn thing--and without even notifying me--about a week later I received a brand new "Mountain Light Parka" in the mail.

Lists at $299.

I have no complaints... ;-)

cgailey

Feb 12, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #47 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

It looked good. I suppose I had a 50/50 chance. It is still functional for some things.

I got these wicked Oakleys on the beach in Mexico for like 5 bucks man...what a deal!!!!! :lol:

kman

Feb 12, 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #48 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ive had the same TNF jacket and shell for a few years now and love it..........................although i wont buy ne more of there gear for a good long time........................it makes me mad to see all the damn fratmatresses and all those idiots wearin the s---, when they have never touched a rock or a backpack in there entire life...........................................idiots

Why would you call some one an idiot because of what they wear?? Sounds like your the idiot. Just because you climb does not give you the exlusive rights to wear certain products. You all need to stop whining about what other people wear and focus more on self improvement.

walrus

Feb 12, 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #49 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought about sending my Chinese jacket in.

I suppose a lot of people resent others for having things they will not take full advantage of or never use for its intended purpose. Posers. I just laugh when I think of the money they wasted to be cool. But, that is what pays the bills for these companies. They make a name for being premium suppliers and then the trendiness catches on and they see a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Partner tattooed_climber

Feb 13, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #50 of 116 (12614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i laugh everytime i see the patch on my partners down jacket
http://images.google.ca/....96.179.125/ithrewup

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook