Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Post deleted by jt512
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

May 2, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #351 of 417 (81374 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to lose weight to improve your climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Given that I have a body fat percentage of approximately 13-15%, how much additional weight can I expect to lose while still remaining healthy?

Males can be healthy with a BF% as low as 4 or 5%, though you need the right genes and a lot of determination to attain that. If you are serious about improving your climbing performance, getting your body fat below 10% would be a worthwhile goal.

In reply to:
I have once heard, however, that the overconsumption of soy can actually conteract the production of testosterone that is vital for muscle production. Fact or BS?

I don't think there is any evidence to support that.

In reply to:
Additionally, what do think of the so called 'superfoods,' such as chlorella algae and wheatgrass? I will admit that I feel better when I use these supplements, but is there any actual valid proof supporting their use?

No.

Jay

dudemanbu

May 2, 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #352 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soy protien contains phytoestrogens. That's plant estrogens, for the non science types.

While these estrogens aren't very well absorbed orally (around 20%) or very bioactive in humans (about 1/10 as strong on a ug/ug basis) if you're eating enough of it, you can have a buildup of these estrogens that can cause some feminizing qualities, such as excess water retention, adipose deposits, and even in rare cases gynecomastia (commonly known as "bitch tits")

There is well documented research regarding this. Go to www.pubmed.com and check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

jt512

May 3, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #353 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Soy protien contains phytoestrogens. That's plant estrogens, for the non science types.

While these estrogens aren't very well absorbed orally (around 20%) or very bioactive in humans (about 1/10 as strong on a ug/ug basis) if you're eating enough of it, you can have a buildup of these estrogens that can cause some feminizing qualities, such as excess water retention, adipose deposits, and even in rare cases gynecomastia (commonly known as "b---- tits")

There is well documented research regarding this. Go to www.pubmed.com and check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

Better yet, you go to Pubmed, and show us the papers in which these risks were identified.

Good luck.

Jay

shanz

May 3, 2006, 1:53 AM
Post #354 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer slim-fast, ex-lax, and a fat steak and a cold stick of butter the day before i climb.. And pop tarts when im feeling weak -- but the secret ingredient is WHISKEY SHOTS AND CHASE IT WITH BEER

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

toddtar

May 3, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #355 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16641036&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsumhttp://

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...&itool=pubmed_docsum

jt512

May 3, 2006, 2:40 AM
Post #356 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16641036&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsumhttp://

Geese. In vitro studies. Worthless.

Jay

toddtar

May 3, 2006, 2:56 AM
Post #357 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Geese. In vitro studies. Worthless.

Jay

You said find it, but nothing about weather it was pertinent or not.

krga20

Jun 3, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #358 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay mentioned getting your body fat below 10% would be a 'worthwhile goal'. I have no idea what my body fat percentage is currently. Can anyone suggest a sound method for calculating body fat?

Jay, are you doing any cardiovascular exercise along with your regular climbing routine? Running or biking etc..???

kubi

Jun 3, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #359 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Throw away your mayonnaise, margarine, butter, and cooking oils.

So....have any recommendations for mayo/butter/oil replacements? Living without butter sounds terrible.

....woah! didn't realize this thread was 22 pages long....sorry people if this was already covered.

jt512

Jun 4, 2006, 4:48 AM
Post #360 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jay, are you doing any cardiovascular exercise along with your regular climbing routine? Running or biking etc..???

Am I, personally? No, because chronic injuries prevent me doing any kind of cardio except swimming, and the possibility of drowning keeps me from doing that.

But cardio is valuable, especially if you want to reduce body fat.

Jay

victor999

Jul 19, 2006, 6:55 PM
Post #361 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JT- just had to say "thanks" for your original post-- my wife and i have been discussing this question and your post was straightforward and helpful.

one quick question: how does one go about restricting one's caloric intake without succumbing to irritability?!

v

forthesunrise

Jul 19, 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #362 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one thing i've found about reducing portions is that if you do it gradually, you will start to crave less and less over time. almost like your stomach is shrinking :) -over the past three years i've been watching what i eat, gradually reducing portions and caloric intake, and i've lost about 25 pounds. for me, irritability wasn't a factor after i realized that 'full' didn't necessarily mean 'stuffed'. but i think the most important part is just doing it gradually so you don't get too discouraged.

sidepull

Jul 20, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #363 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone come up with a good menu? in other words, what does your typical day look like?

(a.k.a. BUMP)

johnny_jibba

Jul 25, 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #364 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyone come up with a good menu?

I wanted to take the time to respond because the advice in this thread has been instrumental in helping me lose 44 pounds since early March. It is difficult to suggest a menu because based on things like your gender, weight, age, and activity level (i.e. - those things that contribute to your overall metabolism), your "break-even" calorie requirements will differ from others. To lose an average of 1 pound per week, you will want to calculate your break-even requirements, then target your total calories for between 400 to 600 less calories per day. For me, this means consuming approximately 1800 calories per day. Since I want about 15% or less of my calories to come from fat, and each gram of fat contains 9 calories, I shoot for 30 grams of fat per day on average. So based on all of these things specific to me, here is a typical daily menu for me:

Breakfast:

- Bagel with light cream cheese, or whole grain cereal with skim milk, or Luna bar (I know they're for women but they taste the best to me!) if I'm in a big rush, plus copious amounts of coffee with skim milk and some kind of fake sugar substitute.

Lunch

- Grilled chicken breast with veggie and a grain like rice or couscous, or veggie burger on whole grain bun, or whole grain turkey breast roll-up, or salad with one egg (or tuna) and some garbanzo beans. I usually also have a fat free yogurt with lunch. The important thing here is not to put fattening condiments on your sandwiches, veggies, grains, or salads. This advice hold true for dinner as well.

Dinner

- Often, the same types of things as for lunch (leftover dinners become part of next days lunch). Other menu items are things like a healthy stir fry (I like hot Thai stuff) over jasmine rice, grilled fish with veggies, and sometimes low fat versions of traditional high fat meals. Reference the book "Healthy Homestyle Cooking" for many great low fat versions of traditional recipes. The Web is also a great resource for low fat recipes.

Snacks

- I don't do too much snacking but when I absolutely need something I go for things like a banana, fat free fig newtons, and fat free pretzels.

Supplements

- If I eat a lot of fruit, I don't lose weight for some reason so I'm careful with fruit. I get tons of vitamins from all the veggies I eat, but I also supplement with a "once daily" vitamin just in case.

- After an extremely hard workout (say a multipitch trad route with a big approach, or a long grueling bike ride) I sometimes have a whey protein shake made with skim milk.

- A couple beers after a good days climbing for "carbo replacement" and sanity.

sidepull

Jul 25, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #365 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for that! others?

gmreeves

Jul 25, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #366 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This has been my typical day for a few months and it has really helped to drop body fat % while maintaining/building lean muscle.

Breakfast:
Bowl of Oatmeal w/ tbsp of peanut butter and a half dozen almonds
Whey protein shake with Milk

Snack 1:
Balance Bar Triple Chocalate Chaos

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread w/ slice of tomato and swiss cheese
1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a cup of blueberries

Snack 2:
6 oz can of tuna
Apple

Dinner:
1/2 cup of Brown rice, 1/2 can of Black Beans, 1/2 a Chicken Breast, and half a can of Rotel, and some fiesta blend cheese.

Snack 3:
I eat another 1/2 cup of cottage cheese right before bed.

If you follow this, it gives you about 2200 calories broken down to 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat.

I am not trying to lose weight but keep my weight where it is and lose some fat, build some muscle. There is a formula for coming up with your metabolic rate and how many calories you should consume according to your lifestyle. I did this and I should consume about 2700 calories to maintain my body weight. I try to eat between 2200 and 2700 calories a day and I have been recording it all for about three months. You can do this for free at www.fitday.com and it becomes addicting. I weigh myself about once a week and then adjust my diet accordingly. If I am gaining weight, I cut back a couple hundred calories. If I am staying the same, I leave it and if I am losing weight, I up the calories. There is a very similar article to the original post on another forum. Here is the link: http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/855109121/m/156108723. Read the first four or five articles under beginner and that will be enough to keep you busy for a while.

I am really not as anal as it sounds because I still go out and have a few beers and eat pizza. But when I am not, I try to be good.

jt512

Jul 25, 2006, 6:44 PM
Post #367 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to see that this thread is still going strong, and that people have been successful with the approach.

Jay

sidepull

Jul 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #368 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted this in the "how lean is too lean" thread but I meant to post it here (plus it was quickly lost beneath posts of ridiculous body fat percentages).

At any rate, here I go again:

I spent a bit of time yesterday at traderjoe's comparing the nutritional information of wholegrain items (spaghetti and tortillas) with their processed counterparts and I was surprised at the lack of difference between the two. In fact, it seemed like some of the processed items had more fiber than the whole grain stuff.

Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to whole grain that doesn't appear on nutritional labels or is this just marketing?

Note: I'm not arguing that whole grain isn't beneficial, obviously if you compare breads the differences show up but in the items listed above the differences really didn't seem that apparent.

deltav

Jul 30, 2006, 3:14 PM
Post #369 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to rehash an old thread,but Jay, could you clarify the part about consuming 500-750 calories less than what I burn per day. I am mis-understanding this?
Thanks

forthesunrise

Jul 31, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #370 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as whole grains go... I've heard they have important antioxidants and vitamins their processed counterparts don't have. Spaghetti and tortilla boxes/wrappers might not cover all of these. Additionally they are supposed to have more iron and fiber.
Personally I think they just taste better (to me white bread tastes like bleach). Hehe they creep me out less I mean you can actually see their true colors and the grains in them.

victor999

Aug 4, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #371 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
anyone come up with a good menu?

- A couple beers after a good days climbing for "carbo replacement" and sanity.

my wife and i have replaced the "after climb beer" with an "after climb red bull"-- we treat the red bull like it was a beer-- keep it in the car, on ice, until we get back. actually, this is part of a bigger picture of cutting out beer and wine altogether.... we feel much better each day, and we're climbing stronger than ever. don't get me wrong, we miss the beer! but the alcohol just seems to do more harm than good to our bodies.

victor

victor999

Aug 4, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #372 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

regarding menu, everything we eat comes from costco or wholefoods: frozen chicken breasts, salmon (canned and fresh), eggs (eggland's best), soy milk, raisin bran or cheerios, yogurt, south beach wraps, and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. dinner is often grilled portabello mushrooms. oh, and lots of Clif bars for snacks (REI = 20% off when you buy 12 or more).

since we know that evening is the most difficult time of day for us (in terms of snacking), we try to eat fruit first, then if it gets really bad, we buy the yummy expensive chocolate bars from wholefoods and pinch off a couple of squares. but hey, this is better than chugging a six pack or downing a bottle of wine with a 16" pizza. :lol:

victor

wnyclimbs

Aug 14, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #373 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure if this info was posted earlier or not. I read through some of the thread but not all. These are 2 different links that have helped me out a lot.

javascript:ol('http://forums.menshealth.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/855109121/m/156108723');

www.fitday.com

boulder_junky

Aug 15, 2006, 3:13 AM
Post #374 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a couple of questions that I am relatively sure are not repeats due to the fact that I read the whole thread because it had so much good information. Feel free not to answer them if you just don't feel like it because you have been so helpful already(and amazingly patient with the Atkins zealots), but here they are...

1.) I am only 17 years old, is there anything I should know because of the fact that I am (I assume) still growing?

2.) I have been basing my diet off of a 2000 calorie diet for myself, but I have some days where I actually have trouble eating that many calories. This seems very unusual because I am a male, a teenager, and relatively active (lacrosse, daily running, climbing 4 or 5 days a week). Is this as weird as it seems to me, because from what I have read each of those things suggest that I should have a much higher caloric need, or is it possible that i just have a very slow metabolism? Is it unreasonable for me to lower my intake?

Any help would be appreciated, but again, if you don't want to both then don't. Thanks for the informative thread.

sandlixard

Sep 9, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #375 of 417 (81371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my wife and i have replaced the "after climb beer" with an "after climb red bull"-- we treat the red bull like it was a beer-- keep it in the car, on ice, until we get back. actually, this is part of a bigger picture of cutting out beer and wine altogether.... we feel much better each day, and we're climbing stronger than ever. don't get me wrong, we miss the beer! but the alcohol just seems to do more harm than good to our bodies.

victor

red bull? damn that's a lot of sugar. i don't know which is worse. anyone have an opinion on this?

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook