Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Jul 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #26 of 59 (3942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
joeforte wrote:
camhead wrote:
joeforte wrote:
If there first bolt is that high, you can bet the beginning sequence is significantly easier than the overall difficulty of the route.

hahahahahahahahaha!

yore rong.

There are quite a few routes out there that are bolted with the intention of using a stick clip. They have high first bolts, and may often have the crux right off the ground! This is more common in harder grades, but I can think of a few 5.10s in which this is the case as well.

So, congratulations for saying something that is flat out wrong, and may break someone's leg.

n00b.
\

What a pansy ass, sport weenie attitude. See, this is the type of guy that stick clips... Remember, don't be a weenie, instead:

Learn how to DOWNCLIMB, work the start (especially if it's only 15 feet), and CLIMB IT!

If you really need to get up it, and really can't work the start after trying it, than you can stick-clip it and get up the thing. But I see too many guys stick clip the first bolt without even TRYING the start. Thats just a poor attitude, breeds self doubt and kills confidence. Get a strong head on your shoulders from the start.

DON'T BE A WEENIE

Haha!!

You should take your own advice.
Yeah, YOU should.

sungam

Jul 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #27 of 59 (3941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what that was ment to mean, but it sure looked meaningfull to say, so I said it. (did you even give any advice in this thread? or ever? Tongue)

chossmonkey

Jul 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #28 of 59 (3938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Not sure what that was ment to mean, but it sure looked meaningfull to say, so I said it. (did you even give any advice in this thread? or ever? Tongue)
Are you talking to yourself again?

sungam

Jul 10, 2008, 1:04 PM
Post #29 of 59 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
sungam wrote:
Are you talking to yourself again?
mebe...

sungam

Jul 10, 2008, 1:04 PM
Post #30 of 59 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
joeforte wrote:
camhead wrote:
joeforte wrote:
If there first bolt is that high, you can bet the beginning sequence is significantly easier than the overall difficulty of the route.

hahahahahahahahaha!

yore rong.

There are quite a few routes out there that are bolted with the intention of using a stick clip. They have high first bolts, and may often have the crux right off the ground! This is more common in harder grades, but I can think of a few 5.10s in which this is the case as well.

So, congratulations for saying something that is flat out wrong, and may break someone's leg.

n00b.
\

What a pansy ass, sport weenie attitude. See, this is the type of guy that stick clips... Remember, don't be a weenie, instead:

Learn how to DOWNCLIMB, work the start (especially if it's only 15 feet), and CLIMB IT!

If you really need to get up it, and really can't work the start after trying it, than you can stick-clip it and get up the thing. But I see too many guys stick clip the first bolt without even TRYING the start. Thats just a poor attitude, breeds self doubt and kills confidence. Get a strong head on your shoulders from the start.

DON'T BE A WEENIE

the cool thing about rc.com and ascents lists is that I can click on this guy's profile, look at all his rad sends, and then laugh at him for being a weakmo who doesn't know what he is talking about.

So, mister joeforte, next time you want to go siege-project toprope a 5.12a in your general area, go check out "Iniquity" at the Red River Gorge. It has a dynamic, v5-ish start to it with a bad landing. The first bolt is about 15 feet up. Please come show me how to down-climb it, because I had to use my weenie stickcip.

In all seriousness, trying to apply a ballsy, "don't be a weenie" attitude to a route that has been rap-bolted is ghey. I climb sport to be safe, I climb trad to be more confident. And, since I've onsighted both sport and trad an entire number grade harder than you redpoint, I'll just say...

wait for it...

SHUT THE FUCK UP, NOOB!
Well, I have to say that I've never seen someone get so rialled up over the word weenie...
Is there something you're not telling us here...?

chossmonkey

Jul 10, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #31 of 59 (3928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Other than that he is the real deal?

I don't think so.

I bet Clausti has some dirt to dish though.

clausti

Jul 10, 2008, 1:35 PM
Post #32 of 59 (3920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
sungam wrote:

I don't think so.

I'm a better sport climber than camhead. that is the dirt. Truly. Cammy is a tard climber at heart, but me, I know every rope trick and clip stick in 8 states by their first names. He did onsight every dyno on iniquity, though. His foot slipped a couple times at the bottom, till I shared some ancient sport climbing secrets in return for the promise of oral pleasure, but the redpoint was all first-try hucks.

Also, when we can't find a stick long enough, I usually climb to the first bolt, since he can catch me.

sungam

Jul 10, 2008, 2:09 PM
Post #33 of 59 (3905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
sungam wrote:

I don't think so.

I'm a better sport climber than camhead. that is the dirt. Truly. Cammy is a tard climber at heart, but me, I know every rope trick and clip stick in 8 states by their first names. He did onsight every dyno on iniquity, though. His foot slipped a couple times at the bottom, till I shared some ancient sport climbing secrets in return for the promise of oral pleasure, but the redpoint was all first-try hucks.

Also, when we can't find a stick long enough, I usually climb to the first bolt, since he can catch me.
Well, what can you say to that.
Oral pleasure, huh?
Man, I wish I knew some ancient sport climbing secrets... mrmrmr...

Partner cracklover

Jul 10, 2008, 2:41 PM
Post #34 of 59 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
In all seriousness, trying to apply a ballsy, "don't be a weenie" attitude to a route that has been rap-bolted is ghey.

And stupid. If the bolts were set for stick clipping, I stick clip. It's just sport climbing, who the hell cares?

I mean, sure, if it's your thing to always climb in double-layer plastic mountaineering boots - go right ahead. But suggesting that they're the best solution for someone else when they go sport climbing, is just, well... a dumb thing to do.

GO

granite_grrl

Jul 10, 2008, 3:39 PM
Post #35 of 59 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
camhead wrote:
joeforte wrote:

hahahahahahahahaha!

yore rong.

n00b.
What about those who have Jesus as their stick clip?

Praise Jebus!!!

stonefoxgirl

Jul 10, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #36 of 59 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to see a new 'choose your own adventure' story!
Thanks Clausti - that was awesomeWink

Scrupuruss

Jul 10, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #37 of 59 (3855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Is there anybody here who has actually climbed the Pie Slice? Although it may lead to a whole new round of name-calling, I'd like to risk hearing about people's actual experience with this particular rock. I can imagine that people have done both-- some climb up to the first clip, and others stick-clip it. The third option for this locale would be climbing up another side (perhaps with the help of a nearby tree?) to get to the top to set up a toprope anchor.

joeforte

Jul 10, 2008, 6:00 PM
Post #38 of 59 (3833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scrupuruss] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So camhead judges his climbing ability by comparing his RC.com profile to others. Nice... Now I understand why you stick clip. I hope the OP is taking notes, because this is typical weenie behavior.

I better update my "send list" so I can better prove myself to internet geeks... Lame

Scrupuruss

Jul 10, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #39 of 59 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hoping we could bury the "Only Weenies Use a Stick-Clip" controversy. Now I'm just hoping it doesn't lead into the "Only Weenies Compare Their Profile to Others" controversy. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Scrupuruss on Jul 10, 2008, 6:10 PM)

Partner camhead

Jul 10, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #40 of 59 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
I am weak, and do not understand sport climbing. I regularly flash 5.13 without a stickclip, but I don't want people on the internet to know about it because I am so humble!

there, fixed that for you.

n00b.

Partner cracklover

Jul 10, 2008, 6:53 PM
Post #41 of 59 (3802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joeforte wrote:
So camhead judges his climbing ability by comparing his RC.com profile to others. Nice... Now I understand why you stick clip.

No, he stick clips because the route was set up that way. Thats all there is to it. Why don't you go try your ethics on a sport route where you're supposed to rap in, and the climb starts before you get to the bottom of the cliff. With your ethics, starting from the bottom, you would climb hundreds of feet before getting to the first bolt. It's just stupid.

Sure, if that floats your boat, feel free to do it your way. Skip clips, place gear, don't stick clip. Whatever floats your boat! But don't ridicule people for climbing a route the way it was meant to be climbed. Especially when doing it "your way" can mean a bad fall.

GO

hafilax

Jul 10, 2008, 7:48 PM
Post #42 of 59 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the ancient art of the shoulder stand.

People onsite V5 high balls with bad landings on a regular basis so I'm not sure what all that chest thumping about Iniquity is all about. Especially given that Camhead basically onsited it according to Clausti.

People are free to choose how they approach a climb. Bolts are often put in with stick clips in mind but there is something especially satisfying about putting your butt on the line for an onsite.

There is no 'way a route should be climbed'. You get to the top or you don't. Everything else is just stamp collecting.

clausti

Jul 10, 2008, 8:21 PM
Post #43 of 59 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Iniquity merely stands as a counter example to "you may be sure if the first bolt is high that the climbing below it is the easiest of the route," which is patently untrue.

Partner cracklover

Jul 10, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #44 of 59 (3766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
There is no 'way a route should be climbed'. You get to the top or you don't. Everything else is just stamp collecting.

Nice misdirection. If you're going to quote me, use the words I said. "Should" implies a value judgment that I didn't mean, and didn't say. What I said was about the way a climb is "meant" to be done.

Look, sport climbing is just like gym climbing, except you don't get to move the holds around. Instead, the bolts are placed by the holds, rather than the other way around. If the first good clipping stance is 15 feet up, and the area has a stick clipping ethic, then that's how the climb will be bolted, even if the crux is before the first bolt.

You can climb the route however you like, but if you make a choice that's different than what the setter had in mind, expect it to be harder than what the placard with the blue tape says.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jul 10, 2008, 8:37 PM)

markc

Jul 10, 2008, 8:40 PM
Post #45 of 59 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To bring up another point, one element that separates sport climbing from traditional climbing is the degree of risk. Sport climbing focuses on gymnastic movement rather than on route protection. The idea of adding unnecessary risk for the sake of a little chest-thumping doesn't add up.

Hell, why not toprope off of poorly constructed anchors to make it more spicy? In short, because it runs counter to the nature of the pursuit.

Partner camhead

Jul 10, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #46 of 59 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scrupuruss] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gawd, you guys (other than cracklover and clausti) are missing the point. this is not a stylistic or ethical debate, or even a spray-a-ton (although I kind of made it one by calling the guy weke).

it is a black and white matter of RIGHT and WRONG.

Luke Skywalker here wrote
In reply to:

that. is. wrong.

that's all.

zeke_sf

Jul 10, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #47 of 59 (3742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
gawd, you guys (other than cracklover and clausti) are missing the point. this is not a stylistic or ethical debate, or even a spray-a-ton (although I kind of made it one by calling the guy weke).

In reply to:

that. is. wrong.

that's all.
Whatever :roll:. I wrote he should bring a ladder and a sherpa to get to the first bolt. I have yet to see my argument refuted.

Partner camhead

Jul 10, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #48 of 59 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
camhead wrote:

In reply to:

that. is. wrong.

that's all.
Whatever :roll:. I wrote he should bring a ladder and a sherpa to get to the first bolt. I have yet to see my argument refuted.

listen you stupid dipshit...

zeke_sf

Jul 10, 2008, 9:16 PM
Post #49 of 59 (3729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
camhead wrote:

In reply to:

that. is. wrong.

that's all.

listen you stupid dipshit...
This is correct.

clausti

Jul 10, 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #50 of 59 (3724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Couldn't figure out how to safely attempt the Pie Slice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you know what?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook