Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Johnny_Fang

May 13, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #126 of 174 (2274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i agree--i stopped reading this after the first few fart stories, but now it's actually interesting.

bill413

May 13, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #127 of 174 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Dingus invoked a fictional character who sounds like little more than an over-emotional bitch who got all pissy over a bundle of flowers.

We're talking about shitting your pants here, folks, lighten the fuck up. And quote the whiney little bitch next time

Somehow, I think you missed the point of Steinbeck's story.
And, is the "whiney little bitch" the same as the "over-emotional bitch?" Your desire for fecal matter seems to have covered your meaning.

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

May 13, 2009, 6:24 PM
Post #128 of 174 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:

If I tell you my story, I still have my story and can tell it to someone else.

Do you also have the option of giving your friend a closed head injury so that he can't repeat it? What about telling that same friend the story in a coffee house, do you then go around and smash everyone in the head so they can't retell the tale?

It's a public forum with no expectation of privacy or ownership.

Partner macherry

May 13, 2009, 6:29 PM
Post #129 of 174 (2249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i am reminded of the seinfeld episode where kramer sells his stories to j.peterman and they is told by elaine that he can no longer tell those stories in the bar because they no longer belong to him

Brhino90

May 13, 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #130 of 174 (2245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think one thing that is getting lost is the fact that dingus has been around...alot longer than alot of us. He tells great stories and I see no reason for this to be such an uproar. It doesn't come down to the TOS or any of that mess, it's called respect. I know for a fact that the climbing community by in large outside of their keyboard smashing bitchfests(ya know, when they actually hit real rock) they all know how to treat people with respect. Yeah it's a little bit upsetting that dingus wants to delete his content...but guess what, he can. By quoting it just to keep it going is going against his wishes and in turn is very disrespectful to someone who tells some amazing stories. I think that we will squander the genius that is dingus until he is gone. sooner or later we will piss him off that one last time and none of us can enjoy his stories.

pfwein

May 13, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #131 of 174 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:
pfwein wrote:

If I tell you my story, I still have my story and can tell it to someone else.

Do you also have the option of giving your friend a closed head injury so that he can't repeat it? What about telling that same friend the story in a coffee house, do you then go around and smash everyone in the head so they can't retell the tale?

It's a public forum with no expectation of privacy or ownership.
I'm not into giving anyone head injuries :)
Perhaps I didn't make my point clearly, because I generally agree with what you wrote, although it's clear that you think it's inconsistent with my first post. No big deal and probably not worth trying to figure out.
To simplify my point, it is that whatever anyone thinks about the issue of copying the fart story when the author has made it clear that that upsets him, the laws regarding ownership of a tangible object have basically zero relevance.

Valarc

May 13, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #132 of 174 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Somehow, I think you missed the point of Steinbeck's story.
And, is the "whiney little bitch" the same as the "over-emotional bitch?" Your desire for fecal matter seems to have covered your meaning.

Yep, same thing. Thing is, this discussion might have been useful to have once - the first time Dingus cried about his rights, took his ball, and went home. But he's done it how many times now? It's the same old sob story over and over. If he doesn't like RC.com profiting from his stories, he should stop posting them here. What he shouldn't do is keep posting and then deleting them to prove a point, whining like a little girl with a skinned knee and acting like a giant attention whore at the same time.

Dingus pretty much defines broken record. Shame, too, because he's a pretty eloquent writer.

Valarc

May 13, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #133 of 174 (2217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Brhino90] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brhino90 wrote:
By quoting it just to keep it going is going against his wishes and in turn is very disrespectful to someone who tells some amazing stories. I think that we will squander the genius that is dingus until he is gone. sooner or later we will piss him off that one last time and none of us can enjoy his stories.

No, you won't. He's been threatening to leave this site almost as long as he's been re-telling the same stories about glory days past.

I haven't even been around here very long in the grand scheme of things, and I can see that plain as day - dingus seems to crave the attention he gets from his little tantrums.

notapplicable

May 13, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #134 of 174 (2215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really would not have expected such obtuse and intellectually dishonest behavior from you dingus. You refuse to comment on how to deal with the deletion of a users content once it is intertwined with that of another. You refuse to to address how the exercising of the rights you claim impact the exact same rights of your fellow users. You refuse to address the fact that your past statements and actions have necessarily extended this conversation to encompass all posts on this site and not just personal stories or anecdotes and the necessary implications of that. Then you have the gall to accuse people of refusing to address the issue of this site being comprised of user content, while refusing discuss that specific issue yourself.

Perhaps you realized too late that this site being comprised of multiple users content is a far greater asset to my argument than your own. But even so, grown adults admit they are wrong from time to time.

Partner xtrmecat

May 13, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #135 of 174 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy oh boy, sad days indeed. Almost everyone just ignores the issue, and rants his own beliefs to be the "right way". I am so sorry most of you have to go through life like this, and shame on the people who raised you.
Respect is really a simple word, and basic too. Try it out, and life will take on a whole new light for many.
Bob

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

May 13, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #136 of 174 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Brhino90] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I am attempting to point out that people do have rights and claims on intellectual property, but expecting a public forum to look out for those rights is not reasonable.

My thought is this. Instead of deleting his account, Dingus could elect to keep. He could post helpful information answer questions etc.

When he get the urge to post a story, post it on a website he operates and can control. He can copyright his material, and pop a link in a post here if he so desired.

His website, his rules. It cost like 10 buck at GoDaddy and he can register Dingus.com and have all the control of all of his stories.

pfwein

May 13, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #137 of 174 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If that is a "rant," please keep ranting away. Very good points.
xtremecat: pot, meet kettle.

notapplicable

May 13, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #138 of 174 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:
Boy oh boy, sad days indeed. Almost everyone just ignores the issue, and rants his own beliefs to be the "right way". I am so sorry most of you have to go through life like this, and shame on the people who raised you.
Respect is really a simple word, and basic too. Try it out, and life will take on a whole new light for many.
Bob

Exactly. Respect by both sides.

I have moderated my position to say that personal stories and other works of art should (to an extent) be treated differently than the other 99.823% of the content on this site. Dingus is the one who refuses to even acknowledge how removing that other content effects and shows a disrespect for his fellow users, not I.

edit: spelling

(This post was edited by notapplicable on May 13, 2009, 7:28 PM)

scrapedape

May 13, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #139 of 174 (2173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
Anyone who claims that copyright infringement (and, more generally, intellectual property rights) are equivalent to tangible property rights needs a good smack down.

Then bring it, Bitch.

I can see the differences.

Are you really too stupid to see the similarities?

spikeddem

May 13, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #140 of 174 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
i am reminded of the seinfeld episode where kramer sells his stories to j.peterman and they is told by elaine that he can no longer tell those stories in the bar because they no longer belong to him

Damn!! I was JUST going to post that!

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

May 13, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #141 of 174 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Then bring it, Bitch.

The capital B is nice because you are being respectful.

Is there ever really a good way to answer a question that start "Are you really to stupid...". Be more up front call the person a monkey if that's how you feel and move on.

Johnny_Fang

May 13, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #142 of 174 (2154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I am attempting to point out that people do have rights and claims on intellectual property, but expecting a public forum to look out for those rights is not reasonable.

My thought is this. Instead of deleting his account, Dingus could elect to keep. He could post helpful information answer questions etc.

When he get the urge to post a story, post it on a website he operates and can control. He can copyright his material, and pop a link in a post here if he so desired.

His website, his rules. It cost like 10 buck at GoDaddy and he can register Dingus.com and have all the control of all of his stories.

that's a great idea. i would go register the domain name dingus.com and then sell it to dingus, but apparently i can't do that because you posted the idea first in a public forum, which means you have copyrighted it. i guess you could buy the domain name and then sell it to me and then i'll sell it to dingus. now no one else can do it that particular bur-sell-sell because i just posted this, thereby copyrighting it.

this whole copyrighting what we post here is friggin' brilliant.

pfwein

May 13, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #143 of 174 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't usually waste my time with Internet tough guys (invariably twerps in real life, as I'm sure you are), but what the hell.
You sure made a clever point in your post--congratulations on bragging that you apparently understand that two things have some similarities and some differences. I'll forward your post to the MacArthur Foundation.
In my view, the similarities between what the fart author is complaining about and disputes regarding ownership of tangible property are so few that there really isn't any point in even comparing them.
If you disagree and would actually like to do some comparing/contrasting, feel free to do so.
If you just want to post idiotic crap--that's cool too, you're off to a great start and you have a bright future as the latest rc.com dipshit.

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

May 13, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #144 of 174 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Johnny_Fang wrote:

that's a great idea. i would go register the domain name dingus.com and then sell it to dingus, but apparently i can't do that because you posted the idea first in a public forum, which means you have copyrighted it. i guess you could buy the domain name and then sell it to me and then i'll sell it to dingus. now no one else can do it that particular bur-sell-sell because i just posted this, thereby copyrighting it.

this whole copyrighting what we post here is friggin' brilliant.

How much are you willing to pay?

Actually as long as you don't post, my post on Dingus.com then the copyright thing isn't applicable.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 13, 2009, 8:49 PM
Post #145 of 174 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...if someone made that domain name, and cut/pasted all dingus' stories, would it be RC.com owners or Dingus who would prevail in a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement?

It would be rc.com(if they actually had an owner so inclined to protect "their" content). And there's the rub.

nika

May 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #146 of 174 (2068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
...if someone made that domain name, and cut/pasted all dingus' stories, would it be RC.com owners or Dingus who would prevail in a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement?

It would be rc.com(if they actually had an owner so inclined to protect "their" content). And there's the rub.

No, if anyone's winning your hypothetical lawsuit, it would not be rockclimbing.com. Some of these copyright posts are like reading majid_sorbet's accident analyses on this site. Very opinionated and completely divorced from reality and/or knowledge of the subject at hand.

no_email_entered

May 13, 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #147 of 174 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

no, that is patently false. precedent was set in the 90s when a number of domain squatters tried to capitalize by registering Coca-Cola, Sony, et. al. and then trying to get paid [extortion] from said companies. they, the thieves, lost and ended up relinquishing the domains and paying legal fees and damages in some instances---

---this thread [or at least the last 3/4 of it] is a misguided debate from the start, given the problem in an incomplete understanding of copyright versus 'authorship'. i'm not going to get all lawyerly and explain all this [unless you want to pay my hourly rate along with retainer]. Dingus is the 'author' and can never transfer, give up or relinquish that distinction, even if he tried. it's the copyrights that would need to be contested in this instance if rc.com actually decided to collect and publish said Dingus stories without his agreement and a contract in place. it is impossible to establish a 'boilerplate' host-takes-all terms of usage when it comes to original content, be it written or photographic. there are too many cases and precedents out there that you can google.

---sorry to turn your frown upside down, or whatever

nika

May 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #148 of 174 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
pfwein wrote:
Anyone who claims that copyright infringement (and, more generally, intellectual property rights) are equivalent to tangible property rights needs a good smack down.

Then bring it, Bitch.

As long as we're all throwing around flawed analogies, let me get in and present one.

You're saying that real property and/or personal property is highly similar to intellectual property, and you're implying that, therefore, despite some key differences, they should be treated the same (legally? ethically? unclear.).

What if I say that adults are highly similar to children, and thus they should be treated the same despite some key differences -- legally, ethically, whatever.

Undesireable outcome, if my analogy is apt!

rockandlice

May 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #149 of 174 (2247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to pose a Q that relates to both the current and original spirit of this thread.

Let's say one were to print out the post that Dingus had originally submitted to this thread at their home, office, library, etc. If they then crumbled up that piece of paper and swallowed it, only to poop it out a day or so later, could they then re-scan the image, post it online, and claim it as their property?

(This post was edited by rockandlice on May 13, 2009, 11:31 PM)

cintune

May 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #150 of 174 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Corn eyed butt snake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook