Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Dumbest thing you've ever done rock climbing...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

bobbj22

Aug 4, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #226 of 228 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Dumbest thing you've ever done rock climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah it was at least a body length or two above me. Looking back I would've laughed too if I was at the bottom. I looked like a buffoon.

TarHeelEMT

Sep 3, 2009, 3:32 PM
Post #227 of 228 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] Dumbest thing you've ever done rock climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The other day I climbed a route that was my first-ever trad lead. I recall that when I first climbed it, I used the fixed rap anchor as my main anchor, then backed it up with a sling around a horn on a boulder. The rap anchor is and was bomber, but the boulder, while good-sized, was on down-sloping ledge and could've been dislodged with a good bit of force.

Partner cracklover

Sep 3, 2009, 4:45 PM
Post #228 of 228 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Dumbest thing you've ever done rock climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This was back when I was first learning to aid climb. I had set a bottom anchor, led the pitch, set a top anchor, and lowered on the free strand. So far so good.

Then I made a really dumb mistake. I decided to ascend the free strand (I think I did this because I wanted to practice free-hanging jugging, and the wall overhung a good bit) and then clean the gear from the top down. Well I got about 2/3 of the way down, having to pull myself in further and further on the anchored end of the rope, when I pulled in as far as I could on an ascender, and still couldn't reach the wall to clean the next piece.

But I also couldn't release the ascender because of the tension pulling me in. I was stuck. Naturally, right then, the last of the day's sun died, and it became pitch black. Fortunately for me, I had some friends nearby who came and rescued me, there, dangling 10 feet from the ground, stuck on my two lines.

If they hadn't been there, I surely would have figured something out and gotten down safely, but without a headlamp, in the pitch black, it would have taken a good while.

Very embarrassing.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook