Send a slightly easier grade with style? 63 / 54%
116 total votes

karmiclimber

Feb 1, 2010, 2:23 PM
Post #1 of 108 (3663 views)
Shortcut

Would you rather...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious as to how important "doing it right" as opposed to "getting it done" is. Please include your gender and why you picked your answer. Thanks!

I'd really like to have honest answers too...we will all assume 5.13 C is the hard grade and 5.13 a is the easier grade. Which is more meaningful...the grade or the style?

(This post was edited by karmiclimber on Feb 1, 2010, 2:32 PM)

boymeetsrock

Feb 1, 2010, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 108 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Woot ! I am the clear majority !!

karmiclimber

Feb 1, 2010, 2:30 PM
Post #3 of 108 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. But you didn't include your gender or why. No sticker for you.

dingus

Feb 1, 2010, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 108 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see gender in the pole options. Poll Fail for you.

I vote 'whatever'

DMT

karmiclimber

Feb 1, 2010, 2:33 PM
Post #5 of 108 (3631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No honey, it was in the body of my message, bless your heart. You get a pass dingus...I know you are all man ;-)

airscape

Feb 1, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #6 of 108 (3616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Yeah. But you didn't include your gender or why. No sticker for you.

BOYmeetsrock.

I say half a sticker, what ever the hell that means

I_do

Feb 1, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #7 of 108 (3603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Just curious as to how important "doing it right" as opposed to "getting it done" is. Please include your gender and why you picked your answer. Thanks!

I'd really like to have honest answers too...we will all assume 5.13 C is the hard grade and 5.13 a is the easier grade. Which is more meaningful...the grade or the style?

Barely making it up a harder grade, I donīt care about the grade but I love having a challenge I really have to fight with to complete. I rather send something that takes more effort then something I can cruise

dingus

Feb 1, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #8 of 108 (3599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
No honey, it was in the body of my message, bless your heart. You get a pass dingus...I know you are all man ;-)

Ah!

Mark me down for ''slightly easier but with style' , gender male, and when we going climbing karmi? If you lead all the lines then I don't have to worry about style at all!

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Feb 1, 2010, 2:39 PM)

boymeetsrock

Feb 1, 2010, 2:42 PM
Post #9 of 108 (3586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No honey, its in my user name, but I'll give you a pass cause I don't need bad karma. Tongue

And because its spirtual crimz to case the grades!

Whole sticker for me !1!

sonso45

Feb 1, 2010, 2:42 PM
Post #10 of 108 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a true man, I enjoy just barely making it. I have gotten more satisfaction from routes that scared the crap out of me and I survived after all. I do enjoy cruising routes too but it's not as good.

airscape

Feb 1, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #11 of 108 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

It all depends who is watching, I would say if some hot babe is watching go for style, if some random dood is wathcing I couldn't care crap, go for MAX.

granite_grrl

Feb 1, 2010, 2:48 PM
Post #12 of 108 (3548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The satisfaction of barely making it up a climb that's at your limit is fantastic. You really have to push yourself to the brink of both your physical and mental limit.

Numbers isn't what it's all about, they are only give you an idea of how hard you'll have to push. An "easier" climb can be hugely challenging if it's not your style.

If you can't figure out my gender you need to be slapped upside the head.

lena_chita

Feb 1, 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #13 of 108 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am not sure what you mean by 'barely making it".

If by barely making it you mean hang everywhere, grab draws, step on bolts, and get help from rope tension -- then no, I would rather send an easier climb with style, without any questions or allegations abour whether I really climbed it cleanly. There have been couple climbs that I was happy to just get to the anchors on, but they aren't something to be proud of-- unless I eventually go back and send cleanly.

If by barely making it you mean that it took forever to redpoint, you were not at all certain you could do it, and you sent it finally on a day where the conditions, and your climbing shape, were just right, and still only managed to do it by the skin of your teeth, but are not at all sure you would be able to repeat it once more... then sure, count me in that category, I would be WAAAYY more proud of that barely-able-to-do-it send than of sending an easier climb.

boymeetsrock

Feb 1, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #14 of 108 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
The satisfaction of barely making it up a climb that's at your limit is fantastic. You really have to push yourself to the brink of both your physical and mental limit.

Numbers isn't what it's all about, they are only give you an idea of how hard you'll have to push. An "easier" climb can be hugely challenging if it's not your style.

If you can't figure out my gender you need to be slapped upside the head.

Gets slapping hand ready... Sly

mr.tastycakes

Feb 1, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #15 of 108 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

It all depends who is watching, I would say if some hot babe is watching go for style, if some random dood is wathcing I couldn't care crap, go for MAX.

But if the babe is a climber, she won't give a shit how gracefully you onsight that 5.6.

ME LIKE CLIMB HARD. I IS A MAN. GARRRRRRRR!

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 1, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #16 of 108 (3508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If "just barely making it up" means without falling or aiding, then I would choose that of course.

But I have the feeling it means any manner of wankery is acceptable - resting on intermediately placed gear placed specific for that purpose, placing gear blindly overhead and asking for tension to "free climb" through, falling repeatedly, and more. I simply don't think I would find that satisfying.

So of course I would choose the "easier but with style" since that's that's the only other option you offer.

But I definitely give you Style Points for creating a good climbing-related thread for poor old, doddering rec.com.... Business has been slow round these parts of late!

wonderwoman

Feb 1, 2010, 3:12 PM
Post #17 of 108 (3505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure how to answer this either. I like climbing at my limit. Sometimes I get things clean and sometimes I fall. Of course I prefer to get things clean, but that's not always on an easier grade.

(PS - I'm a woman! Cool)

airscape

Feb 1, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #18 of 108 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

But if the babe is a climber, she won't give a shit how gracefully you onsight that 5.6.

If babe is a climber, I usually just give up hope.... they are all better than me anyway Unsure

johnwesely

Feb 1, 2010, 3:15 PM
Post #19 of 108 (3498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

I love onsighting when it is right at my limit, and I can barely clip the chains. I chose the lower grade. I find working routes to be sort of pointless unless I have done all of the routes at an area, and that rarely happens because I never get too hung up on one crag.

gmggg

Feb 1, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #20 of 108 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mostly man.

I chose "style".

While I enjoy climbing hard I get a lot of satisfaction from finishing a climb and feeling that I was perfectly in tune with my body and the route. I love the feeling of control!

swoopee

Feb 1, 2010, 3:56 PM
Post #21 of 108 (3443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
airscape wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

No, but I have had them feel sorry for me.

Gmburns2000

Feb 1, 2010, 3:56 PM
Post #22 of 108 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guy, chose easier, don't really care about climbing hard, per se. I'm more interested in getting out and having fun. I do occassionally push my limit and I do prefer to climb at my limit most of the time, but I'd rather have fun than struggle mightily. I struggle mightily with enough other things in life that I don't need that stuff invading my fun.

bill413

Feb 1, 2010, 3:57 PM
Post #23 of 108 (3439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Would you rather... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by 'barely making it".

If by barely making it you mean hang everywhere, grab draws, step on bolts, and get help from rope tension -- then no, I would rather send an easier climb with style, without any questions or allegations abour whether I really climbed it cleanly. There have been couple climbs that I was happy to just get to the anchors on, but they aren't something to be proud of-- unless I eventually go back and send cleanly.

If by barely making it you mean that it took forever to redpoint, you were not at all certain you could do it, and you sent it finally on a day where the conditions, and your climbing shape, were just right, and still only managed to do it by the skin of your teeth, but are not at all sure you would be able to repeat it once more... then sure, count me in that category, I would be WAAAYY more proud of that barely-able-to-do-it send than of sending an easier climb.

+1

Agreed.

Male.

joneus

Feb 1, 2010, 4:32 PM
Post #24 of 108 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd rather work my ass off and make a mess out of accomplishing a route that I didnt think I could do ON MY OWN (ie no hanging on the rope, no hints from below, no grabbing the draws etc) than look pretty doing a route that I can figure out from the ground.

But, then, I like to be challenged.

(Female)

csproul

Feb 1, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #25 of 108 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to do both. The beauty of it is that one often helps with the other. "Getting it done" on a hard climb often helps me "do it right" on an easier climb and vice-versa.
Oh, and male.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook