Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

thenose

Jun 5, 2010, 5:35 PM
Post #51 of 59 (2112 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by thenose [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

curt

Jun 5, 2010, 6:02 PM
Post #52 of 59 (2104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thenose] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thenose wrote:
Yesterday my partner and myself set out to do a free climb of the nose. We wanted to do the whole route with no aid gear (accept for pitch 31). We made it up to pitch 25 when it was my turn to lead. We were linking pitches with two 80 meter twin ropes used as half ropes for lower force. I placed a WC zero 1 cam in a super flaring crack about 10 meters past the belay station. After about 70 meters I started to get super pumped and I fell. The problem was that there was no pro between me and that last WC zero. So I fell 140 meters onto the WC zero 1 on only one twin rope. It was about a factor 1.8er. Anyway the cam held until just about when I stopped on the rope. Then the cam failed and I fell into the belay station at a factor two level. The force of the impact caused the bolted belay station to rip out of the rock. Both me and my partner fell about 250 feet until we hit a climber below us. We were able to grab onto the climber and his rope arrested our fall. Unfortunately our rope was completely disintegrated due to the fall. But the other team was nice enough to lend us a rope to rap down back to the ground. In the end it was a crazy morning and I will be more prepared next time...

Nice trip report. Since you have now established that spotting alone provides an adequate safety margin, I suggest you dispense with the gear and ropes altogether on your next attempt.

Curt

acorneau

Jun 5, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #53 of 59 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jeremy11 wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't pass a bolted belay station after 80 meters of climbing, if you did, it would have been wise to clip it.

Perhaps, but don't clip it using a PAS because it can't take fall-factor 265.97. A Chain Reactor might be close, and a Purcell Prusik would probably be better.

Best not to chance it and just use a clove hitch.

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #54 of 59 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thenose] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thenose wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
thenose wrote:
a-e-jones wrote:
no defenitly a troll
uh no.

You just couldn't let a year old troll die?
Tongue
no, no one has answered my question yet. i know there are pro options up there somewhere!

Black Alien bro.

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 8:35 PM
Post #55 of 59 (2064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
What movie was that scenario taken from?

Vertical Limit, opening scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFaJt62cEEo

See if you can find the 700 mistakes that real climbers wouldn't do.

iknowfear

Jun 5, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #56 of 59 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

Come on: at least post the Vertical limit guide to climbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo

irregularpanda

Jun 5, 2010, 9:27 PM
Post #57 of 59 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

Come on: at least post the Vertical limit guide to climbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo

YES! When climbing with 3: Don't put your partner on belay from above, wait until after the dyno and then put them on belay from below!

crjanow

Jun 5, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #58 of 59 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thenose wrote:
Yesterday my partner and myself set out to do a free climb of the nose. We wanted to do the whole route with no aid gear (accept for pitch 31). We made it up to pitch 25 when it was my turn to lead. We were linking pitches with two 80 meter twin ropes used as half ropes for lower force. I placed a WC zero 1 cam in a super flaring crack about 10 meters past the belay station. After about 70 meters I started to get super pumped and I fell. The problem was that there was no pro between me and that last WC zero. So I fell 140 meters onto the WC zero 1 on only one twin rope. It was about a factor 1.8er. Anyway the cam held until just about when I stopped on the rope. Then the cam failed and I fell into the belay station at a factor two level. The force of the impact caused the bolted belay station to rip out of the rock. Both me and my partner fell about 250 feet until we hit a climber below us. We were able to grab onto the climber and his rope arrested our fall. Unfortunately our rope was completely disintegrated due to the fall. But the other team was nice enough to lend us a rope to rap down back to the ground. In the end it was a crazy morning and I will be more prepared next time.

So does anyone know how to get past pitch 25 with adding a bit more pro? The small flaring crack 10m above the belay station is the only thing I saw.
same thing happend to me except i was hip belaying and the impact tore my thong off and left me hanging there 2500 foot up naked and no rope. luckily i was able to downclimb back to the ground.Shocked

Gmburns2000

Jun 6, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #59 of 59 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] 140 meter fall on the nose. pro options for pitch 25? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
rangerrob wrote:

well, for one, I wouldn't have landed on my back like that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook