Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jamatt

Oct 10, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #26 of 58 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

in linville gorge, there's several species of cliff/rock- dwelling plants that are endangered. there's also a bunch of deer and turkey that are not endangered.

climbing can adversely affect populations of cliff/rock dwelling plants, whereas the responsible hunting of deer and turkey can help keep the population healthy.

whipper

Oct 10, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #27 of 58 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dthor68] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
All you internet tough guys!

Have a little respect for what brings you so much joy on the weekends. I imagine 99.9% of you follow the rules. Those of you who responded to this post probally could care less for the plants and animals. Not going to let something so petty stand in your way of making it to the top, right.

This posting is in response to anthony130's photo of him climbing a rock that is off limits to climbing. It is like rubbing salt in an open wound. No, I cant make an arrest. I can photograph the climber and the climbers plates and turn them over to authorities.

I personally have never seen anyone climbing the rock, but others have. There are rare plants and animals that call those rocks home. Have a little respect and share a little. There are many more people who enjoy those plants and animals than people who enjoy climbing. In the end we will win and it will put a stain on rock climbing in general.

I guess you responders are just to tough to be told what to do, to follow the rules. I guess to "man up" goes for all of us. Believe me, I would have no problem confronting any of you face to face on this issue.

Hey there D, I am unfortunantly going to be in SC next week, while I would never dream of climbing somewhere closed, I would be more than happy to not be an "internet" tough guy, and call you a douche bag to your face. Not that I am threatening violence or anything like that.

I might even head out there and see if I can kill me some shit, you know, if it flies it dies, right. Then I can drive my jacked up four wheel drive truck right up to the dead animal, cause, you know I aint walking very far. Then I can take my picture with said dead animal, and talk about how pretty it is. I sure do love huntin' there is no way the animals could handle it without us since we got rid of all those pesky predators.

squierbypetzl

Oct 10, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #28 of 58 (3388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whipper] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please stop feeding the troll, folks.

jbone

Oct 10, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #29 of 58 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this guy has every right to come across as he has.

This website has allowed a virtual billboard to be promoted by having pictures of a closed to climbing area to be posted here.

RC.com should have a no-posting policy when it comes to pictures like these. Without proper moderation we bring these issues among ourselves. Personally the moderator from South Carolina should be editing these pictures out of the database and informing the community of limitations to use of these particular area's.

Shame on you folks who think climbing is the most important thing in the world. Shame on us if these plants would someday help humanity and we as climbers drive them out of existence due to our selfish climbing nature.

RC.com threw the first blow in this fight by allowing the picture to be posted. Now man up take your punch and fix it instead of making climbers sound like religious zealots raging for Jerusalem.

(This post was edited by jbone on Oct 10, 2010, 7:15 PM)

squierbypetzl

Oct 10, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #30 of 58 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So you expect the mods and photo eds to go through every picture and video submitted and cross check them with a database of restricted climbing areas??

A friendly PM to anyone on the mod&ed team would have sufficed to get the picture reviewed, I suggest trying that 1st next time this issue crops up.

jbone

Oct 10, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #31 of 58 (3350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
So you expect the mods and photo eds to go through every picture and video submitted and cross check them with a database of restricted climbing areas??

YES, Especially those that are posted under area's that are already designated as CLOSED.

RC.com is inherently responsible for not allowing closed area's to be publicized here. If this is too much to handle than perhaps you have bitten off more than you are prepared to chew when you enabled this site to be capable of such acts.

Question... At the time of this post is the picture still posted for public viewing?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ens_creek_96193.html

Answer... YES

Fix this!!

(This post was edited by jbone on Oct 10, 2010, 7:57 PM)

ubu

Oct 10, 2010, 8:27 PM
Post #32 of 58 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jbone wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:

YES, Especially those that are posted under area's that are already designated as CLOSED.

RC.com is inherently responsible for not allowing closed area's to be publicized here. If this is too much to handle than perhaps you have bitten off more than you are prepared to chew when you enabled this site to be capable of such acts.

Question... At the time of this post is the picture still posted for public viewing?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ens_creek_96193.html

Answer... YES

Fix this!!

You have got to be shitting me.

What steps have *you* taken to raise this concern with the mods or site admin? You know, beyond posting a random blurb about "climber terrorists" in the photo comments?

I've had my quota of dumbass for the day. Time to bow out of this idiocy until I have a chance to detox. Frankly I'm impressed with how polite most posters have been with the OP to this point.

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #33 of 58 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RC.com serves as a database of climbing. Most areas that are closed still have routes and pictures to preserve this information for the future should by some chance landowners allow access. It is not RC.com's job to regulate the community.

I think we are all bored seeing as how the "rock in question" is a tiny ass crappy looking boulder in southern south carolina.

ubu

Oct 10, 2010, 8:32 PM
Post #34 of 58 (3329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, one more thing. All the photos posted from the area were put up by a single climber. Has anyone thought of contacting him with his posted email address or by PM and asking (a) whether the pics are within the boundary of the prohibited area, and (b) if so to stop climbing there and remove his photos? If the goal of the OP was to affect an actual change in behavior, rather than just spout off, this would seem like a good first step.

malcolm777b

Oct 10, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #35 of 58 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
All you internet tough guys!

Have a little respect for what brings you so much joy on the weekends. I imagine 99.9% of you follow the rules. Those of you who responded to this post probally could care less for the plants and animals. Not going to let something so petty stand in your way of making it to the top, right.

This posting is in response to anthony130's photo of him climbing a rock that is off limits to climbing. It is like rubbing salt in an open wound. No, I cant make an arrest. I can photograph the climber and the climbers plates and turn them over to authorities.

I personally have never seen anyone climbing the rock, but others have. There are rare plants and animals that call those rocks home. Have a little respect and share a little. There are many more people who enjoy those plants and animals than people who enjoy climbing. In the end we will win and it will put a stain on rock climbing in general.

I guess you responders are just to tough to be told what to do, to follow the rules. I guess to "man up" goes for all of us. Believe me, I would have no problem confronting any of you face to face on this issue.

So, let me get this straight....you come here with an aggressive tone full of threats, on an international climbing forum based on a picture that was posted almost 3 years ago? The picture, even with this thread going on hasn't even been viewed more than 600 times. I imagine that, considering this thread has been viewed almost as many times, the great majority of views were because of your post.

I would bet that the tone you have taken here is going to encourage more climbing because people in general don't like being spoken to like you have decided to. So you want to "put a stain on rock climbing in general"? Is that your goal? Do you have a problem with people that like to climb rocks, or do you just really care about this area? If it is this area in particular, you have a peculiar and very ineffective way of achieving your goal. I suggest you take some of the advice in this thread and post signs, contact the SCCC, and above all, VOICE YOUR CONCERN IN A LESS HOSTILE TONE!

jbone

Oct 10, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #36 of 58 (3312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
Ok, one more thing. All the photos posted from the area were put up by a single climber. Has anyone thought of contacting him with his posted email address or by PM and asking (a) whether the pics are within the boundary of the prohibited area, and (b) if so to stop climbing there and remove his photos? If the goal of the OP was to affect an actual change in behavior, rather than just spout off, this would seem like a good first step.

Ahh what irony.

Here you are trying to criticize this fella for how he came across rather than the point in hand, yet in your first post in this thread you make every attempt to slander and come across as the brash vulgar anti-opinion to my points.

Hypocrites are dime a dozen but you take the cake here.

Perhaps you should have detoxed before spouting off the first thing that came to your head when you chose to be a part of this discussion.

(This post was edited by jbone on Oct 10, 2010, 8:57 PM)

jbone

Oct 10, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #37 of 58 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
RC.com serves as a database of climbing. Most areas that are closed still have routes and pictures to preserve this information for the future should by some chance landowners allow access. It is not RC.com's job to regulate the community.

I think we are all bored seeing as how the "rock in question" is a tiny ass crappy looking boulder in southern south carolina.

Then who's is it? If its not the Climbers responsibility to regulate themselves then who's is it?

Your kind of reasoning is directly responsible for the closure of a few of the worlds greatest climbing area's.

giggly

Oct 10, 2010, 9:37 PM
Post #38 of 58 (3291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
Yes. And the hunters follow the rules very well. What we need is an open season on climbers!

Have you ever tried to take a picture with two black eyes and a broken camera?

(This post was edited by giggly on Oct 10, 2010, 10:05 PM)

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 9:49 PM
Post #39 of 58 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't say that it inst climbers responsibility to regulate themselves. I was saying that its not this websites mission to regulate the way climbers behave. It is a WEBSITE!!! Even a repository for information. It is very clearly stated that the area is closed on this website. You wouldn't expect a library to remove a chemistry book that had reaction information on how to make various transformations that can be used to make drugs would you?

jbone

Oct 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #40 of 58 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
You wouldn't expect a library to remove a chemistry book that had reaction information on how to make various transformations that can be used to make drugs would you?

Interesting how you compare climbing to drugs.

How about we start posting instructions on how to retro bolt trad routes? While were at it, I'm sure a few savvy climbers can post directions on how to chip holds on stone or how best to "comfortize" a hold that hurts to bad to use it.

chopperjohn

Oct 10, 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #41 of 58 (3257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing a weed eater cant take care of. I will post pictures and can I have the address to send my fine? Thanks, John

Gmburns2000

Oct 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #42 of 58 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dthor68 wrote:
rock_fencer wrote:
on second thought, the DNR website says you can hunt there so fuck it, go climb, its mostly boulders i think seeing as how its on the coast.

Yes. And the hunters follow the rules very well. What we need is an open season on climbers!

quoted just in case...well, you know.

rock_fencer

Oct 10, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #43 of 58 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a synthetic organic chemist whose focus is natural product synthesis which covers various and sundry reactions that can be utilized to make illegal substances.

There is information on how to bolt routes, it doesn't take any great intelligence to discover you can bolt a trad route. It sadly gets done all the time! You might even be able to find information on chipping if you looked hard enough or sought out some stone sculpting classes i suppose. There is also information out there on the internet on how to make explosives, but thank god not every clown goes and follows them. Each of us is accountable for his/her actions.

Not to prolong this because we agree fundamentally that its climbers responsibility to be accountable for their actions and the community will innately regulate its members . Where we differ is in the way each of us views this website or mp or supertopo etc... I see it as a repository for information both good and bad, you see it differently.

Partner xtrmecat

Oct 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #44 of 58 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your kind of reasoning is directly responsible for the closure of a few of the worlds greatest climbing area's.
Yosemite, J-Tree, Red Rocks, The Himalayas, Devils Tower, Seneca. These are all closed to climbing now? Damn I was just not traveling to climb for a week, and look at what I missed. Or, you sir are full of shit.

Burly Bob

ubu

Oct 11, 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #45 of 58 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbone wrote:
ubu wrote:

Ahh what irony.

Here you are trying to criticize this fella for how he came across rather than the point in hand, yet in your first post in this thread you make every attempt to slander and come across as the brash vulgar anti-opinion to my points.

Hypocrites are dime a dozen but you take the cake here.

Perhaps you should have detoxed before spouting off the first thing that came to your head when you chose to be a part of this discussion.

I considered answering you point by point, but then I realized the response to each is the same: what the hell are you talking about?

ubu

Oct 11, 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #46 of 58 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbone wrote:
rock_fencer wrote:

Then who's is it? If its not the Climbers responsibility to regulate themselves then who's is it?

You are clearly right, it is the responsibility of rc.com to self-police every photo and post on the site. Since you feel so strongly about this, having of course already voiced your concern over the Stevens Creek photos to the mods & admin (right??? Because if not please stfu), I am sure you are willing to donate your time to develop a detailed and regularly updated list of prohibited climbing areas, and spend your days examining each and every bit of data uploaded to the site for potential conflict in this regard.

Please let us know when to expect the first round of screening to take place.

jbone

Oct 11, 2010, 1:26 AM
Post #47 of 58 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] ROCK CLIMBING IS PROHIBITED HERE! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Methods should be built into the site code that allow users to identify and inform moderators and admin of these kinds of issue's.

If we provide the form to allow for database entry we should also provide a method for the climbers to report violations. A button that accesses a generated report of the item and forwards it to the powers that be.

Just like when you get spam email and they are obliged to offer a method to remove you from their email lists.

ubu

Oct 11, 2010, 1:35 AM
Post #48 of 58 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbone wrote:
Methods should be built into the site code that allow users to identify and inform moderators and admin of these kinds of issue's.

If we provide the form to allow for database entry we should also provide a method for the climbers to report violations. A button that accesses a generated report of the item and forwards it to the powers that be.

Just like when you get spam email and they are obliged to offer a method to remove you from their email lists.

That sounds like a good idea, worth throwing out in the suggestions & feedback forum.

squierbypetzl

Oct 11, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #49 of 58 (3138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbone wrote:

Ok, I'm near convinced you're trolling for muck in this thread, but I'll go ahead and answer you.

1) The site is not in favor of breaking laws of any sort. It does not seek to promote any such behavior and, when informed of said law breaking, takes steps within its means to correct the situation. Usually this means deleting a post from the site, but could potentially mean cooperating with law enforcement if ordered to by the proper authorities. All of this is spelled out in the TOS, which you read and agreed to when you opened an account on this site.

2) We have an entire forum dedicated to suggestions about adding features to the site, you could bring it up there.

3) There is a method currently built into the code that allows users to report this sort of stuff. It's called a private message. You could calmly explain to the offending user the damage they're doing to the ecosystem and climber access, and ask them to take the picture down, and if that fails contact a moderator. Just copy and paste the url address. explain what bugs you and press send, and this volunteer mod team will do their best to resolve the situation justly.

4) I hope you at least said thank you because you have undoubtedly met the nicest, most decent spammers on the planet.

jbone

Oct 11, 2010, 2:48 AM
Post #50 of 58 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
jbone wrote:

Ok, I'm near convinced you're trolling for muck in this thread, but I'll go ahead and answer you.

1) The site is not in favor of breaking laws of any sort. It does not seek to promote any such behavior and, when informed of said law breaking, takes steps within its means to correct the situation. Usually this means deleting a post from the site, but could potentially mean cooperating with law enforcement if ordered to by the proper authorities. All of this is spelled out in the TOS, which you read and agreed to when you opened an account on this site.

2) We have an entire forum dedicated to suggestions about adding features to the site, you could bring it up there.

3) There is a method currently built into the code that allows users to report this sort of stuff. It's called a private message. You could calmly explain to the offending user the damage they're doing to the ecosystem and climber access, and ask them to take the picture down, and if that fails contact a moderator. Just copy and paste the url address. explain what bugs you and press send, and this volunteer mod team will do their best to resolve the situation justly.

4) I hope you at least said thank you because you have undoubtedly met the nicest, most decent spammers on the planet.

Your willing to take the time to write all of this up, Yet the pictures still remain.

"trolling for muck" ????

Taking the pictures down when you first posted in this thread would have gone a long way to "moderate" this issue. As it seems now, you are willing to let people harass and portray climbers as selfish and indignant here on this forum instead of taking any action whatsoever to help diffuse the situation at hand.

Every time I check back on this thread and I still see those pictures up it justifies the OP's position here on this issue.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook