Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

adamfox

May 5, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #251 of 296 (12128 views)
Shortcut

Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,
Someone from the local climbing community just forwarded a link to this forum and I have just spent ten minutes skimming through the pages and thought I should comment. I am the National Discipline Coordinator for the American Mountain Guides Associations (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor Program and I removed tape webbing from the gear list for the program back in 2004. So hopefully I should be able to shed some light on this subject. On the tape webbing in anchoring systems, it’s just fine. It’s not an issue of ‘safety’, ‘accidents’ or ‘UV exposure’. It’s all about application of equipment, techniques and simple concepts. Tape webbing is cheap, lightweight, hardwearing, strong and packs down small, so if these are qualities you are looking for then great, you have found your tool of choice. Static or semi static rope is more expensive and does not pack down as compact as webbing. However, firstly static rope is user friendly and gives the individual more options, i.e. I can create anchoring systems using basis knots which can be adjusted and will be easy to untie after loading. Also, I can create a tether line with static rope and also use a GriGri on this line if need be which I could not do with webbing. So in an instructional setting these are options that I need and I’m looking for. Recreationally I might not need a tether line to be alongside a novice rappeller while I coach them over the edge.

So it comes down to application of the right tools in the right place. We teach and use static/semi static rope in the AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program as it’s elegant, efficient and gives the instructor options. It’s nothing to do with ‘accidents’ or ‘UV’ on webbing.

On the topic of ‘the AMGA’, I’ll try and be brief. I have never met Joey but over the last few years we have had numerous emails and phone calls with him. At one point I offered a free AMGA Singe Pitch Instructor Course to Joey a year or so back, and he has been signed up on various occasions to take the course with us. He is yet to take any training from the AMGA so I do take offence when I see comments telling people to ‘educate themselves’ and ‘take AMGA training’ even though he has taken none.

The American Mountain Guides Association is the only nationally and internationally recognized Climbing Instructors and Guides Association in the USA. The AMGA is the only Climbing Instructors and Guides Association recognized by the IFMGA and UIAA. The AMGA has over 2,300 members and has been teaching climbing instructor and guides programs and certifications since 1980. There are four levels of training and certification in the rock discipline, AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor (for climbing walls), AMGA Single Pitch Instructor (for instructing top roping), AMGA Rock Instructor (for working in multipitch terrain up to grade III [4-6 pitches] and teaching skills courses) AMGA Rock Guide (multipitch terrain up to grade V and teaching high end skills courses). When contemplating hiring an instructor or guide do your research! AMGA certification is the base standard, after that seek out an AMGA certified instructor or guide whom is certified at the level you require. Want to do a day of Tr-ing, then seek out an AMGA Single Pitch Instructor. Looking for a rescue or learning to lead climb course then look for an AMGA Rock Instructor or AMGA Rock Guide.

AMGA certification is the minimum standard, experience is also a key component of what you should be looking for. All AMGA certification means is an individual met the minimum nationally and internationally recognized standard for teaching at the level of their certification. You should seek out AMGA Certified individuals that have experience past their basic certification. If they don’t have AMGA certification as a minimum then I would suggest keep looking.

Hope this helps.

healyje

May 5, 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #252 of 296 (12055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adamfox] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

adamfox wrote:
All AMGA certification means is an individual met the minimum nationally and internationally recognized standard for teaching at the level of their certification. You should seek out AMGA Certified individuals that have experience past their basic certification. If they don’t have AMGA certification as a minimum then I would suggest keep looking.

It should be understood that guiding 'standards' are as much about, and optimized for, the needs of guides as they are those of the clients. And it should be further understood that hiring guides is a piss-poor substitute for the old mentoring system that traditionally brought climbers up.

Unfortunately, that mentoring system system was overwhelmed and outstripped by a rapidly growing demographic in the sport over the past several decades. Otherwise, 'guides' and the AMGA provide no particular advantange over any other experienced climber other than some minimal assurances between total stangers climbing together in the context of money changing hands.

That lack of mentoring has left a vacuum in the sport we attempt to fill with guides, books, classes, and the Internet, but the brutal realities are that a) there is no substitute for a steady apprenticeship with an experienced climber and b) the demographic has now expanded to include a lot of people who will always be at risk so long as they attempt to climb. And absent that apprenticeship system in a gym-powered demographic of this size it's unavoidable that a degree of Darwinian chaos is going to rein over the sport.

That may seem a bit of a harsh bottom line, but the notion anyone can or should climb is patently stupid on the face of it and will always and inevitably lead to a certain percentage of accidents, injuries, and deaths. 'Inevitable' being the operative word and no application of lowest common denominator approaches, techniques, and guidance applied to the current demographic will ever change that unfortunate reality.

(This post was edited by healyje on May 5, 2012, 11:54 PM)

karmiclimber

May 6, 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #253 of 296 (12010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
adamfox wrote:
All AMGA certification means is an individual met the minimum nationally and internationally recognized standard for teaching at the level of their certification. You should seek out AMGA Certified individuals that have experience past their basic certification. If they don’t have AMGA certification as a minimum then I would suggest keep looking.

It should be understood that guiding 'standards' are as much about, and optimized for, the needs of guides as they are those of the clients. And it should be further understood that hiring guides is a piss-poor substitute for the old mentoring system that traditionally brought climbers up.

Unfortunately, that mentoring system system was overwhelmed and outstripped by a rapidly growing demographic in the sport over the past several decades. Otherwise, 'guides' and the AMGA provide no particular advantange over any other experienced climber other than some minimal assurances between total stangers climbing together in the context of money changing hands.

That lack of mentoring has left a vacuum in the sport we attempt to fill with guides, books, classes, and the Internet, but the brutal realities are that a) there is no substitute for a steady apprenticeship with an experienced climber and b) the demographic has now expanded to include a lot of people who will always be at risk so long as they attempt to climb. And absent that apprenticeship system in a gym-powered demographic of this size it's unavoidable that a degree of Darwinian chaos is going to rein over the sport.

That may seem a bit of a harsh bottom line, but the notion anyone can or should climb is patently stupid on the face of it and will always and inevitably lead to a certain percentage of accidents, injuries, and deaths. 'Inevitable' being the operative word and no application of lowest common denominator approaches, techniques, and guidance applied to the current demographic will ever change that unfortunate reality.

I respectfully disagree on some of your points. Well, more of a clarification really...regarding your stance on mentors. My mentor was self-taught/mentored. He had me do some terribly sketchy things, that in retrospect (after educating myself about rock climbing), I feel lucky to have come out from alive. My point is...there are some mentors who are not safe and its important to figure this out sooner than later. I probably should have sooner than I did, but I was 21 and he was my foray into climbing.

So, this experience has greatly colored my current life in rock climbing. I spend a lot of time second guessing myself and researching almost obsessively about what is safe and what is not safe...sifting through what he taught me that was correct and what was not. On my next big trip to the NRG, I plan on hiring a guide, even though I've been climbing for 10 or so years, to help get my confidence back.

A lot of this post sounds like "back in the good old days" well yes, "back in the good old days" a lot of things, but a lot of new things are good too...topo maps, cell phones, new gear, even rc.com. It's all about perspective. Even if your mentor was the best you could get, you still WERE a gumby at one point and are also lucky you made it alive to this point. Accidents happen, life is fragile. Anyway, my two cents.

majid_sabet

May 6, 2012, 1:51 AM
Post #254 of 296 (11978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll take any European mountain guides over 50 top American AMGA certified guide any day cause I personally do not think the AMGA guides are that competent.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 6, 2012, 4:20 AM)

pdxnoob

May 6, 2012, 4:17 AM
Post #255 of 296 (11928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
adamfox wrote:

Mentoring may indeed be the best avenue to learn, but how do you find a mentor for a 14 y.o. boy who loves to climb. I have not been a climber so I can't teach him. I am learning along with him. I can't just drop him off at Smith and let him ask around. Thus far it has been easier to hire a guide/instructor than to find a mentor. Are you willing to take on mentoring an enthusiastic teenager?

healyje

May 6, 2012, 9:21 AM
Post #256 of 296 (11887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
My mentor was self-taught/mentored. He had me do some terribly sketchy things, that in retrospect (after educating myself about rock climbing), I feel lucky to have come out from alive. My point is...there are some mentors who are not safe and its important to figure this out sooner than later. I probably should have sooner than I did, but I was 21 and he was my foray into climbing.

You don't give any details, timeline, or circumstances of your experience, but there are bad 'experienced' climbers no different than bad guides as well. Also, not all experienced climbers have the personality or temperament to be teaching / mentoring. In short there's no perfect way of knowing for sure other than to check around with other experienced locals to get a read on what folks think of the person - ditto for guides. I know that can be all the more difficult in a place like Ohio (I started in SoIll myself).

karmiclimber wrote:
So, this experience has greatly colored my current life in rock climbing. I spend a lot of time second guessing myself and researching almost obsessively about what is safe and what is not safe...sifting through what he taught me that was correct and what was not. On my next big trip to the NRG, I plan on hiring a guide, even though I've been climbing for 10 or so years, to help get my confidence back.

I would say after ten years you should do whatever is required to feel comfortable again. In that timeframe have you met or identified any other accessible folk you do consider experienced and competent? In general, a good guide can be a great short-term fix, but is no substitute for seconding competent leaders on as regular a basis as possible.

karmiclimber wrote:
A lot of this post sounds like "back in the good old days" well yes, "back in the good old days" a lot of things, but a lot of new things are good too...topo maps, cell phones, new gear, even rc.com.

Here we will have to disagree - none of those things will keep you alive on rock - topos are nothing new (and guidebooks are a sad addiction of another sort), who are you going to call mid-fall on your cell, the gear (then or now) really has nothing to do with the climbing or safety in the end, and RC has it's uses, but there is also a lot of inherent obfuscation just in the media alone.

karmiclimber wrote:
It's all about perspective. Even if your mentor was the best you could get, you still WERE a gumby at one point and are also lucky you made it alive to this point. Accidents happen, life is fragile. Anyway, my two cents.

Accidents aren't about perspective and they don't just 'happen', but I understand how that can become a prevailing sentiment in a large and chaotic Darwinian demographic with no set or clear paths to learning.

Glad you survived your experience. Look - and this is important - if you have survived ten years, then you should now trust your instincts and listen to your gut when anyone tells you anything - no matter how credentialed, experienced, and / or famous. And if it doesn't feel right, then you need to speak up, question, and get clarification to your satisfaction; do not just roll with whatever they say. And if they can't deal, then they aren't the right person. It's about learning, not abdication - it's your life, hang on tight to it.

[ P.S. Feel free to pm and I'd be happy to help you sort through it if you ever don't get answers to your satisfaction locally or online or if you get too many conflicting opinions... ]

(This post was edited by healyje on May 6, 2012, 9:27 AM)

healyje

May 6, 2012, 9:33 AM
Post #257 of 296 (11880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pdxnoob] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

pdxnoob wrote:
Mentoring may indeed be the best avenue to learn, but how do you find a mentor for a 14 y.o. boy who loves to climb. I have not been a climber so I can't teach him. I am learning along with him. I can't just drop him off at Smith and let him ask around. Thus far it has been easier to hire a guide/instructor than to find a mentor. Are you willing to take on mentoring an enthusiastic teenager?

Hi, between work and bouncing between PDX and LA managing some family health issues at both ends I'm not getting out as near much as I'd like (in LA right now), but hopefully that will be changing some as the season progresses. PM me with some background on you and your son and I'll do my very best to get out with you both at least a couple of times and we'll see going forward after that.

tradmanclimbs

May 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #258 of 296 (11868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest problem with guides is that by the very nature of their buisness thay are bad for the cliff and bad for climbing. If they do not bring too many people climbing they go out of buisness. I have a good friend who runs two climbing gyms and a climbing school. I simply can not tell him about some of the cliffs that I frequent and some of the new routs that i put up. If I do tell him about these places he will show up to the hard areas with his whole comp climbing group . The hard multi pitch areas will be swarmed with rapelling class and the single pitch stuff will get hammered by a group of 40 disabled kids. It is great that he gets disabled kids out top ropeing but the simple fact is that large groups is a terrible way to go climbing and causes more enviornmental dammage and access issues than you can comprehend.. on the other hand large groups pay the rent in that buisness. Its a catch 22. You simply can not run a climbing school without hurting the climbing experience. Note i do not call climbing a sport because it is way of life, a spiritual experience for me. That gets completly fucking smashed when a group of 40 boy scouts decends on your favorite crag..........

pendereki

May 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #259 of 296 (11852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
... and the single pitch stuff will get hammered by a group of 40 disabled kids.... That gets completly fucking smashed when a group of 40 boy scouts decends on your favorite crag..........

If disabled kids and Boy Scouts are crashing your favorite crag maybe it's time you get off the easy routesWink They probably feel like you are hogging all the 5.4s.

karmiclimber

May 6, 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #260 of 296 (11843 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
My mentor was self-taught/mentored. He had me do some terribly sketchy things, that in retrospect (after educating myself about rock climbing), I feel lucky to have come out from alive. My point is...there are some mentors who are not safe and its important to figure this out sooner than later. I probably should have sooner than I did, but I was 21 and he was my foray into climbing.

In reply to:
You don't give any details, timeline, or circumstances of your experience, but there are bad 'experienced' climbers no different than bad guides as well. Also, not all experienced climbers have the personality or temperament to be teaching / mentoring. In short there's no perfect way of knowing for sure other than to check around with other experienced locals to get a read on what folks think of the person - ditto for guides. I know that can be all the more difficult in a place like Ohio (I started in SoIll myself).

I don't want to get too much into it. Timeline for starting was 2002. Some highlights are...my first time in a harness and on the rock was this...rappelling off trad anchors on a piece of choss in the Oregon desert. He did things like jump and yank to test the anchors (as with all trad placements).
At smith, which is where I started, he would not let me go on the "easy routes"...those were for tourists. Consequently I had a truly difficult leading and he would tell me I was too stupid to lead and should get off the rock (a common occurrence. esp. if i questioned him. pls don't judge me, i was ill prepared at 21 for what he had to throw at me...I know better now).
Belaying me with a gri-gri and not manually breaking and/or paying attention at times.
Climbing at Consumnas in CA...had me weakly anchored to a mossy ledge to belay. He went off route, trad climbing over a roof and once he got over the roof found no gear...he had found no gear for a ways under the roof. He decided that a 20 ft. whipper (he jumped) was the correct choice.
The list goes on and I don't remember everything and I don't want to. He taught me some things correctly too (no fabric on fabric ever...as in, don't run the rope through slings...fig. 8 to tie in, always check double back)

karmiclimber wrote:

In reply to:
I would say after ten years you should do whatever is required to feel comfortable again. In that timeframe have you met or identified any other accessible folk you do consider experienced and competent? In general, a good guide can be a great short-term fix, but is no substitute for seconding competent leaders on as regular a basis as possible.

You would think. I never found another mentor though. I spent a short period of time here in Ohio climbing with some competent people, but it didn't last and its hard for me to find partners (I'm a Mom).

karmiclimber wrote:
A lot of this post sounds like "back in the good old days" well yes, "back in the good old days" a lot of things, but a lot of new things are good too...topo maps, cell phones, new gear, even rc.com.

In reply to:
Here we will have to disagree - none of those things will keep you alive on rock - topos are nothing new (and guidebooks are a sad addiction of another sort), who are you going to call mid-fall on your cell, the gear (then or now) really has nothing to do with the climbing or safety in the end, and RC has it's uses, but there is also a lot of inherent obfuscation just in the media alone.

karmiclimber wrote:
It's all about perspective. Even if your mentor was the best you could get, you still WERE a gumby at one point and are also lucky you made it alive to this point. Accidents happen, life is fragile. Anyway, my two cents.

In reply to:
Accidents aren't about perspective and they don't just 'happen', but I understand how that can become a prevailing sentiment in a large and chaotic Darwinian demographic with no set or clear paths to learning.
Sort of agree. But I still feel that if you are interested in the sport, you belong in the sport, to a degree. Maybe my problem is more all of the years of being called to stupid to climb, but I think if you do your homework, you aren't too stupid to climb.

In reply to:
Glad you survived your experience. Look - and this is important - if you have survived ten years, then you should now trust your instincts and listen to your gut when anyone tells you anything - no matter how credentialed, experienced, and / or famous. And if it doesn't feel right, then you need to speak up, question, and get clarification to your satisfaction; do not just roll with whatever they say. And if they can't deal, then they aren't the right person. It's about learning, not abdication - it's your life, hang on tight to it.

I just want someone to tell me I'm doing it right. Maybe it would be a waste of time, but if it helps me get my confidence back, I'll take it.

[ P.S. Feel free to pm and I'd be happy to help you sort through it if you ever don't get answers to your satisfaction locally or online or if you get too many conflicting opinions... ]

Thank you.

Edit to add...my whole point of posting this was to raise awareness to noobs or anyone that you should NOT just trust your mentor, even if it looks like, at first, they know what they are doing or act like it. It wasn't really a guide vs. mentor argument...more of a please be aware sentiment.

(This post was edited by karmiclimber on May 6, 2012, 12:51 PM)

adamfox

May 6, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #261 of 296 (11818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

As I stated in the post “if one was contemplating hiring a guide”, I never stated it was the be all and end all or the best way to learn. I would encourage novice climbers to seek out mentorship from experienced individuals as well, it’s just that this is hard figure out whom is ‘experienced’. Taking courses is more cost effective and also you get to meet other climbers at around your experience level. Just hiring an AMGA Instructor or Guide for a private day, just taking courses or just getting days in here and there with a willing mentor would not be as good as getting a mixture of all three.

As also stated, do your homework if hiring an instructor or guide. AMGA Certification means they have met the minimum standard in at the level they are certified. Do your research, ask around for recommendations. Just like experienced mentors you need to ask around and not just take their word for it.

As far as guides being ‘bad for the cliff and bad for climbing’, it sounds like that in your instance ‘tradmanclimbs’ with your friend that owns two gyms and a climbing school you are right. If he is taking groups of 40 disabled kids and 40 boy scouts out to the rock and ‘smashing’ the cliff then it sounds like he is damaging the local cliff and upsetting local climbers, including his friends like you. Far from being the only way to run a successful climbing school it sounds like the polar opposite.

People who hire guides are the public just as climbers who climb without guides are the public, all have equal rights to be at the cliff or in the mountains. It’s the guide and climbing schools job to reduce impact as much as possible and to educate their clients on how to be a steward of the land, etc. I don’t think there is a day goes by where we don’t pick up some cliff bar wrappers, tape, etc. that other climbers left behind at the end of the day. Most climbing schools introduce WAG bags and use them on all trips, but I’m yet to meet a climber that carries one recreationally. Climbing Schools should hopefully be organizing trail days, working with land managers on initiatives, and raising money for local climbing organizations. Land Managers permits should dictate maximum group size and instructor ratios, normally no more than 15 people total including and chaperones, instructors, etc. Some areas its 10, some even less.

A Climbing School that is seen to be destroying the cliff or hogging areas with oversized groups will get a bad reputation and will lose business. Climbing Schools that are seen to work with the local climbing community and land managers and are seen to be a steward and resource will gain a great reputation and be successful. Here’s something I wrote for the local USFS (Pisgah) in NC back in 2001. It’s now sent out by the Pisgah USFS with all new commercial permits. Again, not the ‘be all and end all’ but good to try and get out there.

Commercial Users Best Practices Guidelines

1. Reduce the number in your group as much as you possibly can. Try to plan your trips on weekdays, not weekends or Public Holidays.

2. Helmets should be worn by all people climbing, rappeling or in the rock fall zone. This includes instructors.

3. Teach ground schools and beginner lessons back at your home base, on a climbing wall or tower.

4. Try to stay away from “classic”, “3 Star” climbs. Novices will rarely know the difference between “classic” and “not so classic” climbs, and you will not have monopolized the climbs that recreational climbers will want to do.

5. Rotate to different areas (even out of Pisgah) daily rather than using the same area for the whole season.

6. Keep you group together in a small area rather than sprawling out. Keep your equipment together. Stay near the base of the crag.

7. Only set up the couple of climbs that you are using, don’t set up all your climbs for the whole day at once and monopolize a whole area. Be prepared to share your climbs, and pull or “flip” your rope off a climb for a while. Lead climbers have right of way over top ropes.

8. Control your group. Keep noise to a minimum.

9. It’s better to camp at commercial campgrounds in Pisgah, rather than on the side of the trail or trail head. Never camp at the base of the rock!

10. Stay on established trails all the way to the base of the rock. Get involved with trail workshop days and restoration projects organized by the USFS.

11. Ask your clients to use the bathroom just before the trip. Teach LNT bathroom practices.

12. Know Leave No Trace (LNT), teach and practice it in its purist form.

13. Be courteous to all users of Pisgah. Share your knowledge of the rock with other climbers.

socalclimber

May 6, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #262 of 296 (11749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

adamfox wrote:
Hi all,
Someone from the local climbing community just forwarded a link to this forum and I have just spent ten minutes skimming through the pages and thought I should comment. I am the National Discipline Coordinator for the American Mountain Guides Associations (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor Program and I removed tape webbing from the gear list for the program back in 2004. So hopefully I should be able to shed some light on this subject. On the tape webbing in anchoring systems, it’s just fine. It’s not an issue of ‘safety’, ‘accidents’ or ‘UV exposure’. It’s all about application of equipment, techniques and simple concepts. Tape webbing is cheap, lightweight, hardwearing, strong and packs down small, so if these are qualities you are looking for then great, you have found your tool of choice. Static or semi static rope is more expensive and does not pack down as compact as webbing. However, firstly static rope is user friendly and gives the individual more options, i.e. I can create anchoring systems using basis knots which can be adjusted and will be easy to untie after loading. Also, I can create a tether line with static rope and also use a GriGri on this line if need be which I could not do with webbing. So in an instructional setting these are options that I need and I’m looking for. Recreationally I might not need a tether line to be alongside a novice rappeller while I coach them over the edge.

So it comes down to application of the right tools in the right place. We teach and use static/semi static rope in the AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program as it’s elegant, efficient and gives the instructor options. It’s nothing to do with ‘accidents’ or ‘UV’ on webbing.

On the topic of ‘the AMGA’, I’ll try and be brief. I have never met Joey but over the last few years we have had numerous emails and phone calls with him. At one point I offered a free AMGA Singe Pitch Instructor Course to Joey a year or so back, and he has been signed up on various occasions to take the course with us. He is yet to take any training from the AMGA so I do take offence when I see comments telling people to ‘educate themselves’ and ‘take AMGA training’ even though he has taken none.

The American Mountain Guides Association is the only nationally and internationally recognized Climbing Instructors and Guides Association in the USA. The AMGA is the only Climbing Instructors and Guides Association recognized by the IFMGA and UIAA. The AMGA has over 2,300 members and has been teaching climbing instructor and guides programs and certifications since 1980. There are four levels of training and certification in the rock discipline, AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor (for climbing walls), AMGA Single Pitch Instructor (for instructing top roping), AMGA Rock Instructor (for working in multipitch terrain up to grade III [4-6 pitches] and teaching skills courses) AMGA Rock Guide (multipitch terrain up to grade V and teaching high end skills courses). When contemplating hiring an instructor or guide do your research! AMGA certification is the base standard, after that seek out an AMGA certified instructor or guide whom is certified at the level you require. Want to do a day of Tr-ing, then seek out an AMGA Single Pitch Instructor. Looking for a rescue or learning to lead climb course then look for an AMGA Rock Instructor or AMGA Rock Guide.

AMGA certification is the minimum standard, experience is also a key component of what you should be looking for. All AMGA certification means is an individual met the minimum nationally and internationally recognized standard for teaching at the level of their certification. You should seek out AMGA Certified individuals that have experience past their basic certification. If they don’t have AMGA certification as a minimum then I would suggest keep looking.

Hope this helps.

What an incredible crock of shit this is....

The AMGA at it's "finest".

tradmanclimbs

May 6, 2012, 9:54 PM
Post #263 of 296 (11702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam that is a good set of guidelines. Our local school would do well to follow those. they do not. I have met you out @ table rock and you seem like a really nice guy. The hard facts though are that in order to pay your bills and keep your buisness going, make payroll and all that good stuff You need more customers, more customers = more crowding and higher impact @ the cliffs. No other way to do the math?

As to the wise ass upthread who thinks my crag is all 5.4. many of those big groups do not climb. they are adventure courses that hike, cave and rappel. They set the rappell lines on the 3 star 5.10's

(This post was edited by tradmanclimbs on May 6, 2012, 11:20 PM)

healyje

May 6, 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #264 of 296 (11676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
healyje wrote:

I don't want to get too much into it. Timeline for starting was 2002. Some highlights are...my first time in a harness and on the rock was this...rappelling off trad anchors on a piece of choss in the Oregon desert. He did things like jump and yank to test the anchors (as with all trad placements).

At smith, which is where I started, he would not let me go on the "easy routes"...those were for tourists. Consequently I had a truly difficult leading and he would tell me I was too stupid to lead and should get off the rock (a common occurrence. esp. if i questioned him. pls don't judge me, i was ill prepared at 21 for what he had to throw at me...I know better now). Belaying me with a gri-gri and not manually breaking and/or paying attention at times.

Climbing at Consumnas in CA...had me weakly anchored to a mossy ledge to belay. He went off route, trad climbing over a roof and once he got over the roof found no gear...he had found no gear for a ways under the roof. He decided that a 20 ft. whipper (he jumped) was the correct choice.

The list goes on and I don't remember everything and I don't want to. He taught me some things correctly too (no fabric on fabric ever...as in, don't run the rope through slings...fig. 8 to tie in, always check double back)

You don't say if you were also in a relationship with this person, but it doesn't sound like someone with much empathy, understanding or interest in orienting a day around learning versus meeting their own needs. And that is something to watch out for in trying to find an experienced climber to take you out - some are looking to bring along potential partners, whereas others may just be looking for belay slaves and expect the person to just 'pick it up' by virtue of being out with their awesomeness.

No judgment at all on your experience, coming into one's own and trusting / valuing yourself all comes to people at different ages and some not at all. Being in a relationship can certainly complicate something like climbing; though on the other hand, how your boyfriend / girlfriend treats you when you're out climbing should give you a good indicator of whether they are worthy of your time and affection. You should be walking the moment someone gets callous or derogatory and - as a father of a daughter - that goes for on the rock and off.

karmiclimber wrote:
“healyje” wrote:
You would think. I never found another mentor though. I spent a short period of time here in Ohio climbing with some competent people, but it didn't last and its hard for me to find partners (I'm a Mom).

I can certainly empathize with that and again encourage you to follow your instincts and do what you have to do to find competent instruction / partners.

karmiclimber wrote:
“healyje” wrote:

Sort of agree. But I still feel that if you are interested in the sport, you belong in the sport, to a degree. Maybe my problem is more all of the years of being called too stupid to climb, but I think if you do your homework, you aren't too stupid to climb.

Don't confuse an asshole treating you badly with the notion not everyone is meant to climb. 'Stupid' doesn't really enter into it, what does is attributes, attitudes, experiences, and ability to deal effectively. I took up sky diving and hang gliding for awhile when I was younger but, when I realized certain aspects of flight and situational awareness were 'stacking up' on me faster than I could react on a regular enough basis, I simply walked away despite years of interest and love of those activities. I would have become a statistic sooner or later had I kept it up. In the end it all boils down to your basic Harryism - "a man's got to know his limitations."

karmiclimber wrote:
“healyje” wrote:

I just want someone to tell me I'm doing it right. Maybe it would be a waste of time, but if it helps me get my confidence back, I'll take it.

Again, do what you need to do.

karmiclimber wrote:
Edit to add...my whole point of posting this was to raise awareness to noobs or anyone that you should NOT just trust your mentor, even if it looks like, at first, they know what they are doing or act like it. It wasn't really a guide vs. mentor argument...more of a please be aware sentiment.

'Trust' in this context isn't necessarily a simple deal. First, it's not about NOT trusting mentors or guides - it's about trusting yourself first and foremost. Second, it's about finding someone (guide or mentor) you can 'trust'. But, and again, we're not talking blind trust, abdication of being responsible for yourself, or a cessation of your own intuition or gut feel.

Part of the deal with the AMGA that Adam is talking about is trying to establish some minimal standards of a form of 'trust' / credentialling in guides - which is good if you're going that route. But the name of the game with finding guides or experienced partners is you have to do the legwork to vet the person in some way or another - that's your responsibility.

But remember, this is climbing - in the end you, and you alone are responsible for your own safety - and even with a trusted partner or guide you shouldn't ignore your own gut, let them blow off your concerns or questions, or rush you into doing things before you feel reasonably ready to do them.

Part of what you should be getting as you come up in climbing is more confidence in your own judgment. Does it happen all at once? No, but becoming self-confident in your abilities and judgment is the name of the game as you learn and develop - not difficulty and grades.

(This post was edited by healyje on May 7, 2012, 1:48 AM)

tomcat

May 7, 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #265 of 296 (11646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

My question is, why would you need a static rope for anchor building? Is there some reason you and your nOOb friend who each own a climbing rope couldn't accomplish this?

What is the upside of having a static rope unless you are hauling and jugging?

Personally I think beginners are best off girthing nylon slings and applying lot's of redundancy. The static rope as anchor system means tying all new correct knots each time and lots of slack lying around.

Guiding is different, very different.

Joe, I didn't have a mentor, I climbed easy stuff with other noobs. I really though it a good way to learn. Did you have a mentor, specifically in the beginning?

redlude97

May 7, 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #266 of 296 (11617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
My question is, why would you need a static rope for anchor building? Is there some reason you and your nOOb friend who each own a climbing rope couldn't accomplish this?

What is the upside of having a static rope unless you are hauling and jugging?
are you suggesting that a dynamic climbing rope should be used for top rope anchor building?

curt

May 7, 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #267 of 296 (11612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adamfox wrote:
As also stated, do your homework if hiring an instructor or guide. AMGA Certification means they have met the minimum standard in at the level they are certified. Do your research, ask around for recommendations. Just like experienced mentors you need to ask around and not just take their word for it...

That's probably about the best a beginning climber can do--with the "Catch 22" caveat being that the beginner will (by definition) lack the necessary knowledge to differentiate very well between the better versus poorer guides or mentors. If you are a beginner and climb with a guide or mentor who makes you feel uncomfortable, try climbing with someone else. Try also to figure out where your sense of discomfort is coming from. If they are condescending, arrogant or otherwise acting like a dick when climbing with you, you will only benefit from moving on--no matter how knowledgable they might be. There are plenty of other guides/mentors who know just as much as they do, who are genuinely nice people. It's a somewhat tougher call if your discomfort is coming from what the guide/mentor is actually teaching you. In that case, compare their advice to what other experienced guides/mentors have to say, and then make a determination.

And (as I hope we have learned from this thread) if a large number of experienced climbers disagree with you--you might be the one who is wrong in their thinking about something.

Curt

tomcat

May 7, 2012, 1:08 AM
Post #268 of 296 (11600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am, I'm suggesting a dynamic rope is entirely adequete for toprope anchor building of any sort. Are you suggesting otherwise?

(This post was edited by tomcat on May 7, 2012, 1:11 AM)

billcoe_

May 7, 2012, 2:14 AM
Post #269 of 296 (11565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
I am, I'm suggesting a dynamic rope is entirely adequete for toprope anchor building of any sort. Are you suggesting otherwise?

The man is discussing usage for a course of novices in a professional setting, everything he says is spot on the money correct. For myself, like you I use dynamic rope pieces personally all the time, it works great: along with slings of all sorts and age. I mark my sewn runners with the years I've bought them, and use as old as 1990 in my top rope setups. (Hey, if it's in triplicate and all bomber, it's good.) They are my old retired and chopped up lead ropes. You would never use old stuff like that in a professional setting, although it is otherwise 100% fine in practice, you just don't.

I agree with both Healyj and Curt though, a GOOD mentor (good is the operative word, trumps all. Yet an AGMA guide will guarantee that a systemically organized course was followed and learned, ie, that the skill you need is there. Doesn't say or suggest anything about attitude of course.

socalclimber wrote:
What an incredible crock of shit this is....

You're wrong. It's spot on.

adamfox wrote:
static rope is user friendly and gives the individual more options, i.e. I can create anchoring systems using basis knots which can be adjusted and will be easy to untie after loading.

TRUE try adjusting a cinched clove hitch on 1" tubular, different game.
adamfox wrote:
Also, I can create a tether line with static rope and also use a GriGri on this line if need be which I could not do with webbing.

Exactly!

adamfox wrote:
So in an instructional setting these are options that I need and I’m looking for. Recreationally I might not need a tether line to be alongside a novice rappeller while I coach them over the edge.
On the money.

adamfox wrote:
So it comes down to application of the right tools in the right place. We teach and use static/semi static rope in the AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program as it’s elegant, efficient and gives the instructor options.

Well spoken.

To the father with a 14 year old boy. THIS is your answer: http://www.mazamas.org/ Seriously. Climbing is damned dangerous, but if you can't find a mentor, this is the place. Be aware that it will still be dangerous for you son, just less so. He can still do everything right and still die.

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on May 7, 2012, 2:20 AM)

redlude97

May 7, 2012, 2:45 AM
Post #270 of 296 (11548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
Yes, the dynamic movement of the anchor over an edge can very easily saw through a rope. At a minimum it can excessively wear a small section of your rope that passes over the edge or is pinched by a tree/boulder. Certainly not something I want to happen to my climbing rope that I plan on using in the future.

billcoe_

May 7, 2012, 2:53 AM
Post #271 of 296 (11539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Yes, the dynamic movement of the anchor over an edge can very easily saw through a rope. At a minimum it can excessively wear a small section of your rope that passes over the edge or is pinched by a tree/boulder. Certainly not something I want to happen to my climbing rope that I plan on using in the future.

This is on the money. I use rope protectors where the dynamic ropes run if there is any length to minimse this effect. If it's a short piece, it likely wont stretch, especially if you have a nut with a piece of webbing as a second piece, and a cam off to the other side with in independent sling as well. Never rely on a single point. Furthermore, as I use old retired topropes -which were my retired lead ropes, I never rely on a single loop to tr off of -ever. So if I have a rope on a tree I also have another sling off a bomber piece, or a second rope, or a second figure 8 knot as the powerpoint: usually all of the above.

healyje

May 7, 2012, 7:53 AM
Post #272 of 296 (11481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tomcat wrote:
My question is, why would you need a static rope for anchor building?

As BillCoe_ and you point out, there is no problem whatsoever using a dynamic rope as a TR anchor, period. Old lead ropes are completely fine for the job. Again, the only issue with webbing is people sometimes screw it up in a variety of ways.

Rope protectors? Sure, they're great - but that need for them is typically rock and individual TR situation specific.

tomcat wrote:
Joe, I didn't have a mentor, I climbed easy stuff with other noobs. I really though it a good way to learn. Did you have a mentor, specifically in the beginning?

I came up in a relatively isolated area where most everything we touched was a first ascent - but there was a small generation of climber/cavers before us who brought us along at first and then we sorted out the rest as we went along. Common sense is as valuable in that regard as technical details - don't take anything for granted, examine and evaluate everything.

redlude97

May 7, 2012, 8:50 AM
Post #273 of 296 (11472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
tomcat wrote:
My question is, why would you need a static rope for anchor building?

As BillCoe_ and you point out, there is no problem whatsoever using a dynamic rope as a TR anchor, period. Old lead ropes are completely fine for the job. Again, the only issue with webbing is people sometimes screw it up in a variety of ways.
Let's be clear here, Tomcat suggested using one of your main lead ropes for anchor building
tomcat wrote:
This is a very different than using an old rope. Would you build a toprope anchor for all day use with a rope you were planning on leading with again?

viciado

May 7, 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #274 of 296 (11459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As with most things, the answer is "it depends'.

While it would not necessarily be my first choice, nor my favored long term solution, I am fine using my regular dynamic rope for a single pitch TR anchor. In many ways, it is not much different from setting a belay anchor for many multi pitch scenarios. Protecting the rope from abrasion is part of building a good anchor is it not?

tomcat

May 7, 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #275 of 296 (11442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [viciado] Webbing, Static and AMGA Certification [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I am out of step, as none of my toprope anchors represent "long term solutions", nor have I ever seen one rubbed through by contact with trees or boulders. Lugging a static rope around for TR'ing just seems like you are doomed to TR'ing for the day, plus it's only useful for anchor building, hauling or jugging and the latter two rarely occur with the former.

If your rope is rubbing enough to cause it to wear I'd take another look at how you rigged it.

Let be clear here Redlude indeed, tomcat suggested using a dynamic rope, and did not specify a "main lead rope", just you and someone else's dynamics.

This looks like yet another case of guiding practices being pushed onto recreational climbers as necessary, when they are not.

(This post was edited by tomcat on May 7, 2012, 11:11 AM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook