Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Feb 15, 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 72 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Why build climbing gear with high KN rating
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If a falling climber can't generate above 7 kn or 9 kn then why build climbing biners with 24 to 36 kn, cams to go up to 18 kn or other equipment that is rated 2-5 times more than what we could produce during a fall.

Why waste so much money and material building something that is way above our maximum falling forces?

Does safety factor or potential lawsuits have anything to do with this ?

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 16, 2008, 12:45 AM)

no_email_entered

Feb 15, 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 72 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

'CLIMBING' not necessssarily CLIMBERS generate kn higher.

oh...and shit breaks....

your turn.

Partner epoch

Feb 15, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #3 of 72 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
If a falling climber can't generate above 7 kn or 9 kn then why build climbing biners with 24 to 36 kn, cams to go up to 18 kn or other equipment that is rated 2-5 times more than what we could produce during a fall.

Why waste so much money and material building something that is way above our maximum falling forces?

Does safety factor or potential lawsuits have anything with this ?

Majid, no one ever lost with overkill on their side...

AeroXan

Feb 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #4 of 72 (2864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

safety and fatigue. the closer the forces are to the ultimate tensile strength of the structure, the fewer stress cycles it can take before failing due to fatigue. there is a mathematical process to predicting the fatigue life of a part. with steel, you can make that life infinite for a certain level of stress. for aluminum it is impossible for infinite fatigue life. however, you could design a biner to last for a very long time (100's of thousands of cycles) before succumbing to fatigue. not sure how much of an issue fatigue actually is for climbing gear. but the safety factor is pretty huge too. why would you fall on something that you can generate 99% of it's breaking force? don't you just feel better knowing you won't get anywhere near the breaking point?

zeke_sf

Feb 15, 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #5 of 72 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AeroXan] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AeroXan wrote:
safety and fatigue. the closer the forces are to the ultimate tensile strength of the structure, the fewer stress cycles it can take before failing due to fatigue. there is a mathematical process to predicting the fatigue life of a part. with steel, you can make that life infinite for a certain level of stress. for aluminum it is impossible for infinite fatigue life. however, you could design a biner to last for a very long time (100's of thousands of cycles) before succumbing to fatigue. not sure how much of an issue fatigue actually is for climbing gear. but the safety factor is pretty huge too. why would you fall on something that you can generate 99% of it's breaking force? don't you just feel better knowing you won't get anywhere near the breaking point?

It's also amazing how light a lot of modern gear is, considering how strong it is too. I imagine the inverse was true earlier in the climbing game.

snowey

Feb 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #6 of 72 (2834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AeroXan] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Response #1) Youre gonna die!!!

Response #2) Isn't it possible for a falling climber to produce more than 7-8kN of force? For example if your anchor has two pieces and the angle between then at the power point is greater than 90 degrees. Doesn't that increase the forces on the anchors?

petsfed

Feb 15, 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #7 of 72 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Does safety factor or potential lawsuits have anything with this ?

Is this a test?

C'mon now majid, the pulley effect will double whatever force the climber feels, so a 9 kN fall needs a piece of pro capable of holding 18 kN (ignoring friction for now). Plus, belay anchors have to be a lot burlier than the average lead piece since there's two (or more) climbers depending on that. I'd much rather have a 50% or greater safety margin on my gear than save a quarter (which will no doubt be snapped up straight away for advertising anyway) a crab.

hugepedro

Feb 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #8 of 72 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

A falling climber can generate more than 9kn. A 200 pound climber with a 20 pound pack on (not an unusual situation) in a 1.8FF fall is going to generate more than 10kn (one of those online fall calculators says 10.6kn). With pulley effect that's 17.6kn, getting awfully close to the limit of that 18kn cam, and that's assuming a perfect placement.

And most pro is not rated to 18kn, most is in the 10-12kn range, so it's not really over engineered as much as you might think. That's one reason why you'd never want to trust your life to just 1 piece.

d1r73

Feb 16, 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #9 of 72 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And yet we still hear of gear failures. I know I have heard of biners snapping on slacklines, harnesses failing, cams breaking, ropes snapping... etc etc I will give you that most of this was probably improper use and/or excessive wear and tear, but mfg know this shit happens and therefore build to account for a certain degree of stupidity/cheapness/laziness/misuses by the users. Also it's nice to have gear that is OBVIOUSLY way too worn to be using before it fails structurally.

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #10 of 72 (2786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1r73] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d1r73 wrote:
And yet we still hear of gear failures. I know I have heard of biners snapping on slacklines, harnesses failing, cams breaking, ropes snapping... etc etc I will give you that most of this was probably improper use and/or excessive wear and tear, but mfg know this shit happens and therefore build to account for a certain degree of stupidity/cheapness/laziness/misuses by the users. Also it's nice to have gear that is OBVIOUSLY way too worn to be using before it fails structurally.

Harnesses failing? Ropes "snapping?" Where else but rc.com can you get quality misinformation like this!

Jay

no_email_entered

Feb 16, 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #11 of 72 (2769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Harnesses failing? Ropes "snapping?" Where else but rc.com can you get quality misinformation like this!

Jay

hey man I snap my rope at least once a day

and

Majid = chum bucket

binrat

Feb 16, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #12 of 72 (2762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt
for the record, I've had a rope "snap"once. Not from climbing, but when my neighbour's tractor was pulling a loaded cement truck through some mud. The rope was last ditch effort as the only chain we had had already been destroyed.

just my $.02

Binrat

majid_sabet

Feb 16, 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #13 of 72 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

A falling climber can generate more than 9kn. A 200 pound climber with a 20 pound pack on (not an unusual situation) in a 1.8FF fall is going to generate more than 10kn (one of those online fall calculators says 10.6kn). With pulley effect that's 17.6kn, getting awfully close to the limit of that 18kn cam, and that's assuming a perfect placement.

And most pro is not rated to 18kn, most is in the 10-12kn range, so it's not really over engineered as much as you might think. That's one reason why you'd never want to trust your life to just 1 piece.

I post this so I could take care of you so just wait for more replies.

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 12:43 AM
Post #14 of 72 (2750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
jt
for the record, I've had a rope "snap"once. Not from climbing, but when my neighbour's tractor was pulling a loaded cement truck through some mud.

Really? Go figure.

Jay

shorty

Feb 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #15 of 72 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

This is exactly why I use plastic keychain 'biners, closeline cord for rope, an old jock strap for a harness, cedar shims for pins (we don't need no stinkin' cams), and my trusty Cubs baseball cap for a helmet.

Lordy, I miss this website. I really, really miss the discourse on thought-provoking issues. You know -- the intelligent questions raised by experienced climbers. If only I could spend less time dealing with issues at the office, I could see threads like this all day.

That would be so totally, uber cool.

majid_sabet

Feb 16, 2008, 2:17 AM
Post #16 of 72 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

This is exactly why I use plastic keychain 'biners, closeline cord for rope, an old jock strap for a harness, cedar shims for pins (we don't need no stinkin' cams), and my trusty Cubs baseball cap for a helmet.

Lordy, I miss this website. I really, really miss the discourse on thought-provoking issues. You know -- the intelligent questions raised by experienced climbers. If only I could spend less time dealing with issues at the office, I could see threads like this all day.

That would be so totally, uber cool.

if you ask me, why fire and rescue people use high rating gear, I could easily tell you that In USA fire services , the minmum safety factor is 15:1 and generally, a fire man is consider as 1 kN.If he is going down the line to rescue another man who is 1KN, his biner has to be at least 30 KN or more to support two. You will not see a fire man on a climber biner rapping down the side of building if his biner is rated to 18KN . The 15:1 safety factor, unofficially has been set as an standard by agencies such as NFPA which overseas some of the standards for rescue gear.

What kind of safety factors standard do you have out there for climbers ?

3:1 , 5:1 ?

Does anyone know what safety factor most climber go by ?

Do you build your anchor so it could handel your weight or you build it so it could take 10x of your falling forces ?

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 16, 2008, 2:18 AM)

petsfed

Feb 16, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #17 of 72 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Do you build your anchor so it could handel your weight or you build it so it could take 10x of your falling forces ?

Realistically, we go at about a 4:3, maybe a 5:4 safety margin, worst case scenario. Why? Because in a lot of cases, carrying the equipment necessary to get an OSHA level of safety, we'd be so weighed down that it would drive up the risk factor. If you can't lift the carabiner/cam/nut/etc to protect yourself, you'll just go without (or you won't get yourself in a position that you need the gear, like climbing easier routes). Since people want to climb, we drove up our objective risk while working to mitigate the subjective risk, so that hopefully it comes out even in the end.

chalker7

Feb 16, 2008, 2:38 AM
Post #18 of 72 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
if you ask me, why fire and rescue people use high rating gear, I could easily tell you that In USA fire services , the minmum safety factor is 15:1 and generally, a fire man is consider as 1 kN.If he is going down the line to rescue another man who is 1KN, his biner has to be at least 30 KN or more to support two. You will not see a fire man on a climber biner rapping down the side of building if his biner is rated to 18KN . The 15:1 safety factor, unofficially has been set as an standard by agencies such as NFPA which overseas some of the standards for rescue gear.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I'm a little rusty and my rigging / engineering book is at the firehouse. Is it not true that 15:1 is not static figure, but rather can be downgraded depending on the situation? What I mean is that if an anchor will not be subjected to more than one person it can be built at a 10:1 margin? I know its rare that the rescuer and victim wouldn't be on the same line, but I think this is true.

What I can contribute that I know is true is that NFPA does not recognize kN forces in their calculations, but rather only static weights (3000 lbs, etc.). This is the case because NFPA refuses to write standards that allow any situation where a rescuer or victim might become subject to dynamic falls. Hence forth the anchor would not be subjected to dynamic forces.

Not super important info but a little tid-bit that I could add.

Peace. Colby.

(This post was edited by chalker7 on Feb 16, 2008, 2:41 AM)

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 3:01 AM
Post #19 of 72 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Forgive me if I am wrong, I'm a little rusty and my rigging / engineering book is at the firehouse. Is it not true that 15:1 is not static figure, but rather can be downgraded depending on the situation? What I mean is that if an anchor will not be subjected to more than one person it can be built at a 10:1 margin? I know its rare that the rescuer and victim wouldn't be on the same line, but I think this is true.

What I can contribute that I know is true is that NFPA does not recognize kN forces in their calculations, but rather only static weights (3000 lbs, etc.).

kN is just a unit of force, just as the pound is. 1 kN = 225 lb (approximately).

Jay

chalker7

Feb 16, 2008, 3:17 AM
Post #20 of 72 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
kN is just a unit of force, just as the pound is. 1 kN = 225 lb (approximately).

Jay

I realize that is true, so I should clarify. What I am trying to say is that although they can be converted back and forth to accommodate either unit, the NFPA will never publish any regulation using the kN unit. I believe this is because kN has become synonymous with dynamic forces while pounds are associated with static loads.

Of course, knowing now that 1kN = about 225lbs, Majid is in a sense correct because the NFPA recognizes a 1 person load as being 200lbs.

It doesn't really matter, I guess. Most rescuers never face a situation where their equipment choices will be vast enough and/or ambiguously defined to the point where they will have to call on this detailed information.

Peace. Colby.

jt512

Feb 16, 2008, 3:35 AM
Post #21 of 72 (2606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I realize that is true, so I should clarify. What I am trying to say is that although they can be converted back and forth to accommodate either unit, the NFPA will never publish any regulation using the kN unit. I believe this is because kN has become synonymous with dynamic forces while pounds are associated with static loads.

No. There is no such thing as "dynamic force." There is just "force." I would think that the reason that the NFPA does not use the unit kN is because they are a U.S. organization, and hence they use the U.S. unit of force, the pound.

Jay

majid_sabet

Feb 16, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #22 of 72 (2541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chalker7 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

No. There is no such thing as "dynamic force." There is just "force." I would think that the reason that the NFPA does not use the unit kN is because they are a U.S. organization, and hence they use the U.S. unit of force, the pound.

Jay

Jay

You are correct about U.S.fire not using the KN cause most fire men were and still do understand lbs by far better than kn however in the past 5 years or so, most technical manuals are slowly moving toward a metric system and they are implementing KN instead of Lbs. Generally, NFPA considers a fire man as 1 Kn or 200 lbs plus 50 lbs of gear on him so 250 lbs is an standard weight for fire guys.

When rescuers goes over the edge , his rope has be rated to handle 5000 lbs (two people) with safety factor of 15:1 (for fire rescue system ) or safety factor of 10:1 for mountain rescue operation.

A single rope that is rated to 5000 lbs is insufficient for
rescue work cause ,as soon as you put the knot in there, you will loose 30% which brings the value to @2800 lbs or safety factor 6:1. This is why two rope are used in rescue to increase the safety factor to at least 12:1.

In climbing, there are no such standard or at least no one builds an anchor or uses a biner with such safety factors in mind. Most people feel that two cams in the crack and leaving one draw on TR does the job and there they go off the wall.

I am confident that most manufacturer know why they build their gear in such ways, but does public has any idea why these ratings are for ?.

Do we feel safer with a gear rated 5 times more than what we could generate during a fall ?

chalker7

Feb 16, 2008, 6:30 AM
Post #23 of 72 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

Jay

Thanks for the correction. When I said dynamic force, I think I should have been saying shock loading. Is shock loading measured differently than other kinds of force, i.e. a different unit? I'm not arguing I'm just asking, because the way I understand it a 225 lb or 1kN person does not weigh in at 1kN when loading the rope immediately after a fall, while they still weigh 225 lbs. Or am I misusing weight for mass in that scenario?

Peace. Colby.

patto

Feb 16, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #24 of 72 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
In climbing, there are no such standard or at least no one builds an anchor or uses a biner with such safety factors in mind. Most people feel that two cams in the crack and leaving one draw on TR does the job and there they go off the wall.

I am confident that most manufacturer know why they build their gear in such ways, but does public has any idea why these ratings are for ?.

Do we feel safer with a gear rated 5 times more than what we could generate during a fall ?

As has already been explained the upper limit of forces on top pieces already start approaching the limits of pieces. The safety factor is less than 2 for severe falls.

Also all kN ratings are in ideal circumstances I would like a bit of extra strength for non ideal loading of the equipment.

chalker7 wrote:
Thanks for the correction. When I said dynamic force, I think I should have been saying shock loading. Is shock loading measured differently than other kinds of force, i.e. a different unit? I'm not arguing I'm just asking, because the way I understand it a 225 lb or 1kN person does not weigh in at 1kN when loading the rope immediately after a fall, while they still weigh 225 lbs. Or am I misusing weight for mass in that scenario?

There is only one force measurement.

A person's "weight" depends on gravity and his/her mass. Neither changes during a fall so a climbers weight never changes.

Talking about a persons weight in this circumstance is not really appropriate. The climber's MASS is constant at 100kg. The force loads the rope depends on the deceleration of the climber which depends on the elacticity of the rope and the rest of the system.

The units for measuring shock is ms-3 but that isn't really relevant here.

(This post was edited by patto on Feb 16, 2008, 6:54 AM)

knieveltech

Feb 16, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #25 of 72 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1r73] Why build climbing gear with high KN rating [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

d1r73 wrote:

Forces generated by an average weight climber on a tight slackline vastly exceed what's possible in a "normal" climbing scenario. You're talking serious force multiplication due to angle here. Or in other words you're comparing apples and oranges.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook