Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #151 of 234 (6153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
it's not a bannable offense for presenting pertinent info and reasons why the info and ideas that you have been presenting are erroneous. you're the one denouncing the entire climbing gear industry for the "biggest screw-up in history"

that coming from an idiot who is capable of this kind of self-contradicting nonsense:

majid_sabet originally wrote:
The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period.

majid_sabet now wrote:
Does a pin and the hook become engage during loading phase? Yes

Thanks for your professional contribution to this post by continuously calling me names.

Partner drector

Mar 18, 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #152 of 234 (6146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some pictures of hook and pin carabiners working properly and catching falls and being pulled to high loads but since none of them broke, I didn't post them. The collection includes about 3 million photos so it's good evidence that I'm right and that the hook and pin are way over-engineered and should be reduced in size to remove some unwanted weight.

Hmmm... that sounds like a bad argument. I'll have to come up with some real scientific engineering information or else I'll sound like an idiot making outlandish claims. Maybe if I post one or two of the pictures, it will be good evidence.

Dave

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #153 of 234 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
I have some pictures of hook and pin carabiners working properly and catching falls and being pulled to high loads but since none of them broke, I didn't post them. The collection includes about 3 million photos so it's good evidence that I'm right and that the hook and pin are way over-engineered and should be reduced in size to remove some unwanted weight.

Hmmm... that sounds like a bad argument. I'll have to come up with some real scientific engineering information or else I'll sound like an idiot making outlandish claims. Maybe if I post one or two of the pictures, it will be good evidence.

Dave

can you post them up, I want to see the pin/hook area in a close shot.

Thanks

Partner baja_java

Mar 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #154 of 234 (6140 views)
Shortcut

Re: saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
baja_java wrote:
it's not a bannable offense for presenting pertinent info and reasons why the info and ideas that you have been presenting are erroneous. you're the one denouncing the entire climbing gear industry for the "biggest screw-up in history"

that coming from an idiot who is capable of this kind of self-contradicting nonsense:

majid_sabet originally wrote:
The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period.

majid_sabet now wrote:
Does a pin and the hook become engage during loading phase? Yes

Thanks for your professional contribution to this post by continuously calling me names.

actually, that is relevant to the discussion, as you're unable to address you contradictions

and speaking of name-calling, you don't seem to refrain from that either:

majid_sabet wrote:
java lava bava

rasoy

Mar 18, 2008, 1:15 AM
Post #155 of 234 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahaha I read the whole thread.

For gods sakes Majid this has got to be your biggest scientific analysis here yet. LOL Tongue

The great thing about this thread though is it brought out some great analysis from the various contributers.

Carry on ......

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 1:18 AM
Post #156 of 234 (6117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasoy] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:
Hahahaha I read the whole thread.

For gods sakes Majid this has got to be your biggest scientific analysis here yet. LOL Tongue

The great thing about this thread though is it brought out some great analysis from the various contributers.

Carry on ......

I just send an email to JD today asking him to help me out on this and I am sure you seen some broken biner in the past three decades. I see you this weekend .

rasoy

Mar 18, 2008, 1:24 AM
Post #157 of 234 (6112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He's sleeping right now. I'll tell him later when he wakes up.

Majid, this thread is sooo funny ..... LOL

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 1:26 AM
Post #158 of 234 (6110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasoy] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rasoy wrote:

So what do you think ?

rasoy

Mar 18, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #159 of 234 (6099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an idiot, I don't know anything.

Better ask the experts on this subject matter.

Dry_Hands

Mar 18, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #160 of 234 (6092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
rasoy wrote:

So what do you think ?

This thread is hilarious. I like how Majid agrees with people that prove him incorrect. When he does it fast enough it stops people from reading the posts that prove him wrong.

Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge. I've sat by and let others fight it. From now on, ever time Majid posts complete garbage, I'm going to post "FAIL."

Majid - D shaped biners are better then ovals because they are stronger when loaded. The are stronger because they put the metal more in tension, rather then bending. The straight side is put into tension (mostly) because there is no (little) bending moment. An oval biner causes bending moments on BOTH sides.

Majid - You will never see a biner break because of the pin. Even though the pin side is much weaker then the spine side, it sees a much lower load. Most of the load is "channeled" through the spine. The spine probably sees 3 to 30x the force of the pin side.

The pin prevents the biner from plastically deforming into a much weaker shape.

This is all done on purpose! Because it is BETTER. Just stop posting garbage. Please.

Oh yea...

YOU FAIL!

marde

Mar 18, 2008, 3:21 PM
Post #161 of 234 (6044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dry_Hands] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gates are known to open on high fallfactors (>1.7)
due to radial vibrations.
This is proven by some frenchies in 1989 with a high speed camera on drop test.
Usually that doesn't matter because most falls happen whilst sportclimbing where fallfactors are always smaller than 1 (at least on single pitch climbs)
edit:
The german alpine club safety council states that you can see deformations on the hook of broken biner (gate closed).

(This post was edited by marde on Mar 18, 2008, 3:27 PM)

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 3:47 PM
Post #162 of 234 (6027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marde wrote:
Gates are known to open on high fallfactors (>1.7)
due to radial vibrations.
This is proven by some frenchies in 1989 with a high speed camera on drop test.
Can you explain what you mean by "radial vibrations"? I don't see how a radial vibration in a carabiner could be initiated, and if it could, how it would ever cause the gate to open. Could you share any references?

chilli

Mar 18, 2008, 3:51 PM
Post #163 of 234 (6026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not being any sort of engineer myself, and having minimal knowledge of this whole matter, i pose this question by extrapolating from some other observations...
i've noticed, working with farm equipment, that when using something that runs on a PTO (drive shaft powering equipment from tractor) that if you make the horrible mistake of using a regular pin or bolt in place of the sheer pin, if strain is placed on the system (if you hang up the equipment - e.g bushhog on a rock/stump), you get catastrophic results (mind you, i've not made this mistake myself, but i have seen the damage done). my point is that the pin, is actually the last thing to fail. the metal of the much larger, and theoretically more sturdy, PTO shaft warps first (or you get other damage). my theory was that it is because the pin (despite being small) has so little room to warp compared to the longer single metal pieces of the PTO. so, applied to the world of biners, it seems logical to me that the pin may indeed engage and keep things safe for a while, until the rest of the biner starts to warp, thus pulling the hook away from/off of the pin, while the pin/hook itself never failed. it makes sense to me that if the pin were longer (allowing more area over which to warp) it would be the first thing to fail, but it's not, so it engages, holds for a while, the rest of the biner warps, pin disengages, and then we say "what the hell? did that pin even do any good?"

edit (addition): if that's the case, it seems like we would see similar results despite the locking mechanism. after all in a pull test, SOMETHING eventually fails, and i would think it to be the longest single piece of metal since that would allow the "room" to warp (unless of course you used some super small pin or weak/thin hook - or keylock)

i'd be curious to hear feedback on this odd application of NC-redneck tractor equipment knowledge.

(This post was edited by chilli on Mar 18, 2008, 3:55 PM)

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 4:05 PM
Post #164 of 234 (6022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
not being any sort of engineer myself, and having minimal knowledge of this whole matter, i pose this question by extrapolating from some other observations...
i've noticed, working with farm equipment, that when using something that runs on a PTO (drive shaft powering equipment from tractor) that if you make the horrible mistake of using a regular pin or bolt in place of the sheer pin, if strain is placed on the system (if you hang up the equipment - e.g bushhog on a rock/stump), you get catastrophic results (mind you, i've not made this mistake myself, but i have seen the damage done). my point is that the pin, is actually the last thing to fail. the metal of the much larger, and theoretically more sturdy, PTO shaft warps first (or you get other damage). my theory was that it is because the pin (despite being small) has so little room to warp compared to the longer single metal pieces of the PTO. so, applied to the world of biners, it seems logical to me that the pin may indeed engage and keep things safe for a while, until the rest of the biner starts to warp, thus pulling the hook away from/off of the pin, while the pin/hook itself never failed. it makes sense to me that if the pin were longer (allowing more area over which to warp) it would be the first thing to fail, but it's not, so it engages, holds for a while, the rest of the biner warps, pin disengages, and then we say "what the hell? did that pin even do any good?"

edit (addition): if that's the case, it seems like we would see similar results despite the locking mechanism. after all in a pull test, SOMETHING eventually fails, and i would think it to be the longest single piece of metal since that would allow the "room" to warp (unless of course you used some super small pin or weak/thin hook - or keylock)

i'd be curious to hear feedback on this odd application of NC-redneck tractor equipment knowledge.

Shear pins are made of soft metal that shears easily - hence the name. The shear pin is meant to break to prevent damage to the rest of the system which contains much more expensive and hard to replace components like gear boxes, transmissions, bearings, etc.

In the case of a carabiner, any failure is a catastrophic failure. There is no sacrificial part or design within a carabiner to save another part of the device. When it breaks, you throw it away... if you survive.

Carabiners are made the way they are for a reason. That reason combines all the requirements from strength to usability to cost effectiveness to weight and makes compromises to achieve an acceptable level of each. Some carabiners focus on certain aspects which dictate their characteristics, but all (at least the ones I'm willing to use) meet the minimum standard for safety set by the UIAA.

Carve the notch deeper to hold onto the pin longer and you'll end up with a carabiner that locks closed after a big fall. Yes, it may be a little stronger, but do you really want to be locked to your carabiner half-way up the rock after that painful factor 1.5 fall? Probably not.

marde

Mar 18, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #165 of 234 (6005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reference is
Sicherheit in Fels und Eis I
published by the german alpine club (DAV) safety council
I guess it's not available in english
The vibrations are initiated by the movement of the biner when it's pulled into the direction of loading.
They state you can't see it with your bare eye, but everytime it happened the biners broke.

sorry but I don't have the direct french reference
and the other one is written in german

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 5:07 PM
Post #166 of 234 (5983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marde wrote:
reference is
Sicherheit in Fels und Eis I
published by the german alpine club (DAV) safety council
I guess it's not available in english
The vibrations are initiated by the movement of the biner when it's pulled into the direction of loading.
They state you can't see it with your bare eye, but everytime it happened the biners broke.

sorry but I don't have the direct french reference
and the other one is written in german

Hmm... might be hard for me to understand it then :)

I guess I just don't see how any vibration (let alone one that is "radial" in nature) in a carabiner could open the gate. It seems the harmonics of a carabiner would have it vibrating at such a high frequency and low magnitude that there would be no effect to the gate.

Saying that the "vibrations are initiated by the movement of the biner when it's pulled in the direction of loading" implies that the carabiner is not oriented in the direction of loading. While it's a real-life scenario, it's not what we're talking about here.

marde

Mar 18, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #167 of 234 (5978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they say vibrations are about 50 1/sec
and the gate opening was visible on that high speed cam.
Afaik they used a drop test made for uiaa rope testing.

Partner cracklover

Mar 18, 2008, 5:17 PM
Post #168 of 234 (5978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chilli] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chilli wrote:
so, applied to the world of biners, it seems logical to me that the pin may indeed engage and keep things safe for a while, until the rest of the biner starts to warp, thus pulling the hook away from/off of the pin, while the pin/hook itself never failed. it makes sense to me that if the pin were longer (allowing more area over which to warp) it would be the first thing to fail, but it's not, so it engages, holds for a while, the rest of the biner warps, pin disengages, and then we say "what the hell? did that pin even do any good?"

You've been led astray by Majid's postulation. A biner simply doesn't fail the way he states that it does.

This simply doesn't happen, unless the gate is held open or flutters open:

This does:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ

If you watch the above video, you'll see that the hook actually will engage *more* with the pin, until the biner breaks at the elbow where it's bent.

GO

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #169 of 234 (5974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
chilli wrote:

Shear pins are made of soft metal that shears easily - hence the name. The shear pin is meant to break to prevent damage to the rest of the system which contains much more expensive and hard to replace components like gear boxes, transmissions, bearings, etc.

In the case of a carabiner, any failure is a catastrophic failure. There is no sacrificial part or design within a carabiner to save another part of the device. When it breaks, you throw it away... if you survive.

Carabiners are made the way they are for a reason. That reason combines all the requirements from strength to usability to cost effectiveness to weight and makes compromises to achieve an acceptable level of each. Some carabiners focus on certain aspects which dictate their characteristics, but all (at least the ones I'm willing to use) meet the minimum standard for safety set by the UIAA.

Carve the notch deeper to hold onto the pin longer and you'll end up with a carabiner that locks closed after a big fall. Yes, it may be a little stronger, but do you really want to be locked to your carabiner half-way up the rock after that painful factor 1.5 fall? Probably not.

Trench

I have a question for you;

During a lead fall where your life depends on every pieces of protections; would like to see a biner become locked during a FF 1.7 or have the gate open cause you want to reuse the $5.50 biner?

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #170 of 234 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
chilli wrote:
so, applied to the world of biners, it seems logical to me that the pin may indeed engage and keep things safe for a while, until the rest of the biner starts to warp, thus pulling the hook away from/off of the pin, while the pin/hook itself never failed. it makes sense to me that if the pin were longer (allowing more area over which to warp) it would be the first thing to fail, but it's not, so it engages, holds for a while, the rest of the biner warps, pin disengages, and then we say "what the hell? did that pin even do any good?"

You've been led astray by Majid's postulation. A biner simply doesn't fail the way he states that it does.

This simply doesn't happen, unless the gate is held open or flutters open:
[image]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/521/81798928iq1.jpg[/image]

This does:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ

If you watch the above video, you'll see that the hook actually will engage *more* with the pin, until the biner breaks at the elbow where it's bent.

GO

Go
The video is invalid since most mfgs use shackles with @ 5 mm in diameter and not some fat shackles that applies forces on the entire upper part and the bottom part of the elbow of the"D".

To make a valid test, he should realistically use a bolt hanger on one side and a 5 mm steel cable or a 11 mm rope.

rasoy

Mar 18, 2008, 5:34 PM
Post #171 of 234 (5966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw this biner break in this video of SMC company doing gear testing.

http://www.youtube.com/...r86a-DnHrNE&NR=1

(This post was edited by rasoy on Mar 18, 2008, 5:35 PM)

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #172 of 234 (5961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

During a lead fall where your life depends on every pieces of protections; would like to see a biner become locked during a FF 1.7 or have the gate open cause you want to reuse the $5.50 biner?

I'd prefer neither - to have the carabiner not break and not be permanently locked. That's what currently available carabiners do now, except when extraneous circumstances ("gate flutter" or rock contact) cause the gate to open during fall.

trenchdigger

Mar 18, 2008, 5:44 PM
Post #173 of 234 (5957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Go
The video is invalid since most mfgs use shackles with @ 5 mm in diameter and not some fat shackles that applies forces on the entire upper part and the bottom part of the elbow of the"D".

To make a valid test, he should realistically use a bolt hanger on one side and a 5 mm steel cable or a 11 mm rope.

Larger diameter "shackles" will, if anything, make the carabiner more likely to fail in the way you claim it will, therefore your theory is invalid.

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Mar 18, 2008, 8:20 PM)

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #174 of 234 (5956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dry_Hands] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dry_Hands wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
rasoy wrote:

So what do you think ?

This thread is hilarious. I like how Majid agrees with people that prove him incorrect. When he does it fast enough it stops people from reading the posts that prove him wrong.

Well, this thread has pushed me over the edge. I've sat by and let others fight it. From now on, ever time Majid posts complete garbage, I'm going to post "FAIL."

Majid - D shaped biners are better then ovals because they are stronger when loaded. The are stronger because they put the metal more in tension, rather then bending. The straight side is put into tension (mostly) because there is no (little) bending moment. An oval biner causes bending moments on BOTH sides.

Majid - You will never see a biner break because of the pin. Even though the pin side is much weaker then the spine side, it sees a much lower load. Most of the load is "channeled" through the spine. The spine probably sees 3 to 30x the force of the pin side.

The pin prevents the biner from plastically deforming into a much weaker shape.

This is all done on purpose! Because it is BETTER. Just stop posting garbage. Please.

Oh yea...

YOU FAIL!

You think I just woke up one day and decided to pick on biner and flood the RC with none sense?

You are telling me everything I already know. I know in detail which design model biners are superior to others . I know that “D” is superior to other biner because load has a tendency to stay along the axis line and not in the center of elbow but are you willing to bid $ 200 that an OVAL biner is superior in hook-pin engagement over “ D” ?

majid_sabet

Mar 18, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #175 of 234 (5953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

I'd prefer neither - to have the carabiner not break and not be permanently locked. That's what currently available carabiners do now, except when extraneous circumstances ("gate flutter" or rock contact) cause the gate to open during fall.

yes, that is why you do not climb at all

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook