Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

suprasoup

Aug 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #51 of 68 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
jt512 wrote:

So are the bolt-protected 5.15s. If that doesn't meet your arbitrarily narrow view of what "real climbing" is, then too bad for you.

Jay

That's the typical knee-jerk sport climber/boulderer response - our pursuit is distilled down to the pure essence. Mainly used as an excuse when all the extraneous stuff turns out to be too hard and scary.

Just because you choose not to validate or participate in the other disciplines doesn't make them any less relevant. You need to check yourself and remember that climbing means different things to different people.

olderic

Aug 29, 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #52 of 68 (1100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scion] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

scion wrote:
olderic wrote:
But at a lower level there are things that were rated 5.9+ back in the day (that's how you like to hear us geezers talk) that are as hard as many 11+/12- things today. I have done both and I am quite sure about that. [..] Yeah I know all about grade compresson at the high end and how the +- and a,b.c.d thing came about (I was there) but it has been over done.
Ummm, given that you know about "how the +- and a,b.c.d thing came about", what exactly is your excuse for not understanding how it doesn't necessarily represent grade inflation for new school 5.12- climbs to be easier than old school 5.9+s? Maybe you should give it a little more thought while you're stirring your Metamucil?

JT claims I am delusional for thinking that. You claim it's obvious. No wonder us geezers get crotchety. You whipper snappers need to coordinate yoyur attacks. Even someone named after a cheap car should realize that.

olderic

Aug 29, 2009, 1:03 AM
Post #53 of 68 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
olderic wrote:
jt512 wrote:

So are the bolt-protected 5.15s. If that doesn't meet your arbitrarily narrow view of what "real climbing" is, then too bad for you.

Jay

That's the typical knee-jerk sport climber/boulderer response - our pursuit is distilled down to the pure essence. Mainly used as an excuse when all the extraneous stuff turns out to be too hard and scary.

Check your own knee-jerk reaction. I don't exclude trad climbing from "real climbing." I just understand that it's not the only kind.

Jay

However embracing and encompassing potential danger has been an integral part of the climbing experience for several hundred years. It's only the last couple of decades that a revisionist approach has been taken - attempting to use the same term - "climbing" - to describe their dumbed down sanitized activity. For all your recent lip service to recognizing all types of climbing experiences as valid - you have a long history of being derogatory towards old school attitudes and approaches. That's a kind of climbing too - more in tune with the multi century history of climbing.

jt512

Aug 29, 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #54 of 68 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
jt512 wrote:
olderic wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Check your own knee-jerk reaction. I don't exclude trad climbing from "real climbing." I just understand that it's not the only kind.

Jay

However embracing and encompassing potential danger has been an integral part of the climbing experience for several hundred years. It's only the last couple of decades that a revisionist approach has been taken - attempting to use the same term - "climbing" - to describe their dumbed down sanitized activity. For all your recent lip service to recognizing all types of climbing experiences as valid - you have a long history of being derogatory towards old school attitudes and approaches. That's a kind of climbing too - more in tune with the multi century history of climbing.

I have not been derogatory to trad climbing, except to express my opinion that it is uninteresting. What I have been derogatory about are dismissive attitudes like yours.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 29, 2009, 1:18 AM)

olderic

Aug 29, 2009, 2:07 PM
Post #55 of 68 (1058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

I have not been derogatory to trad climbing, except to express my opinion that it is uninteresting. What I have been derogatory about are dismissive attitudes like yours.

Jay

I little irony in that statement I would say.

You know you could have an excellent career as a politician - your ability to take one thing out of context and make some provocative response designed to pander to the masses and receive their accolades - increase your stature as an Internet hero - is astounding. Not so much your ability as a debater though as you ignore 95% of the topic.

I know you don't like to elaborate - might diminish your reputation with the masses if it became clear that you are just spraying the latest fashion and have no real depth of knowledge of the climbing subject - but comment as you see fit on the following two items (I wait with baited breath).

You say I thought you were derogatory towards trad climbing - what I actually said was other - typically older styles. Consider the pink point vs. redpoint topic. You have repeatedly dissed the concept of pink pointing and anyone who would care. Not very accepting of other styles are those that consider them significant - no stick clipping and on-sight being others - no you just stick with the latest fashion making snide comments designed to improve your popularity with the main stream.

How about this idea - historically a major factor of climbing is that there is an element of risk. Overcoming that is part of the whole - may not be the primary reason for climbing but was one of the components and part of the challenge,. That was the basis for the often (miss) quote of Hemingway about real sports. The whole philosophy of "sport climbing" is to engineer out that risk factor. Fine by me - to each their own (am I being dismissive again - probably) what I object to is till calling this activity "climbing" and believing it has a connection to what has gone on for 100's of years. Call it "extreme vertical movement" if you will - much more akin to gymnastics or a Project Bandaloop performance.

OK fire away - more then 2 lines if you dare.

mr.tastycakes

Aug 29, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #56 of 68 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

really? are y'all really going to have this tired, old argument AGAIN?

granite_grrl

Aug 29, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #57 of 68 (1047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
How about this idea - historically a major factor of climbing is that there is an element of risk. Overcoming that is part of the whole - may not be the primary reason for climbing but was one of the components and part of the challenge,. That was the basis for the often (miss) quote of Hemingway about real sports. The whole philosophy of "sport climbing" is to engineer out that risk factor. Fine by me - to each their own (am I being dismissive again - probably) what I object to is till calling this activity "climbing" and believing it has a connection to what has gone on for 100's of years. Call it "extreme vertical movement" if you will - much more akin to gymnastics or a Project Bandaloop performance.
So all forums of climbing must have a high degree of risk? What about crack climbs? I've often heard them called sport climbs that you place gear on.

How about this climb?

Obviously not a "real" climb. Hell, look at all those safe falls you can take! And they were taken, over and over and over again. I'm sure he took more falls on this one climb than you have taken in your lifetime.

jt512

Aug 29, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #58 of 68 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

I little irony in that statement I would say.

You know you could have an excellent career as a politician - your ability to take one thing out of context and make some provocative response designed to pander to the masses and receive their accolades - increase your stature as an Internet hero - is astounding. Not so much your ability as a debater though as you ignore 95% of the topic.

I know you don't like to elaborate - might diminish your reputation with the masses if it became clear that you are just spraying the latest fashion and have no real depth of knowledge of the climbing subject - but comment as you see fit on the following two items (I wait with baited breath).

You say I thought you were derogatory towards trad climbing - what I actually said was other - typically older styles. Consider the pink point vs. redpoint topic. You have repeatedly dissed the concept of pink pointing and anyone who would care. Not very accepting of other styles are those that consider them significant - no stick clipping and on-sight being others - no you just stick with the latest fashion making snide comments designed to improve your popularity with the main stream.

OK fire away - more then 2 lines if you dare.

I'm not interesting in discussing this with you. The subject bores me, and you bore me.

Jay

scion

Aug 29, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #59 of 68 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
JT claims I am delusional for thinking that. You claim it's obvious. No wonder us geezers get crotchety. You whipper snappers need to coordinate yoyur attacks. Even someone named after a cheap car should realize that.
Nothing that Jay said contradicts anything that I said. You're the one who isn't being internally consistent, and my seventh period teacher says consistency is crucial to forming a compelling argument.

But I'm with you, if you ain't climbing with an onion tied to your belt, then you ain't climbing.

Factor2

Aug 29, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #60 of 68 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:

so saying you should never load a biner over an edge is dumb too.. Never zip clipping.. never back clip.. never have a biner crossloaded over the gate.. never fall with the rope behind your leg..

there's lots of things you just shouldn't fucking do. ever.
CrazyCrazy

What if I'm up on 2500' up on a wall, out of rescue territory. I'm 80' out from my last piece, and i find a bolt. But clipping it puts my last biner that i have on me over an edge. Should I skip it because you told me to never ever ever put a biner over an edge?

your a sport recreationer eh jake? Smile

(This post was edited by Factor2 on Aug 29, 2009, 8:03 PM)

gmggg

Aug 29, 2009, 8:30 PM
Post #61 of 68 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Factor2] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

so saying you should never load a biner over an edge is dumb too.. Never zip clipping.. never back clip.. never have a biner crossloaded over the gate.. never fall with the rope behind your leg..

CrazyCrazy

What if I'm up on 2500' up on a wall, out of rescue territory. I'm 80' out from my last piece, and i find a bolt. But clipping it puts my last biner that i have on me over an edge. Should I skip it because you told me to never ever ever put a biner over an edge?

Sounds like a 5.4 slab. You should be fine either way.

Factor2

Aug 29, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #62 of 68 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Factor2 wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

CrazyCrazy

Sounds like a 5.4 slab. You should be fine either way.

get your own hypothetical situation

REAL

Aug 30, 2009, 6:11 AM
Post #63 of 68 (976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beautiful Pic, GG. Where was this?

USnavy

Aug 30, 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #64 of 68 (969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Hey Jay - Heliums gate open: 10kN.

Bam! Take that Mr Pretzl!

GTongue

Stubai Supreme = 11 kN open

Kong Ergo #763 = 12 kN open

Take that Mr.WC...

olderic

Aug 30, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #65 of 68 (947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did he place his own gear - might have been (relatively) trivial to do - but he wasn't relying in someone else to engineer out the risk. If you really read what I said I talked about encompassing perceived or potential risk - often times - most times - usually mitigated - but part of the challenge,

You might be surprised how many falls I have taken and some of the serious consequences they have resulted in - but then again I don't make the public drama out of them like some people do.

billcoe_

Aug 30, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #66 of 68 (938 views)
Shortcut

Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Olderic, you might re-read the first post and decide if your words are anywhere near the mark. Little tip for you, you may find your argument with JT interesting, but no one else does. Even JT.

Perhaps start a new thread with your topic (s)?

Regards

Bill

ps, you have very good points, but they are getting buried into the minutia of a different topic. Many of us know that anything Greg Lowe did 30 years ago and called 5.9+ could have easily later tipped the scales in the 5.12 R or X range. Far as that goes, a guy doing a FA climbing a 5.9 friction climb in the 60's like Kamps or Kor, with a handdrill and mandatory 30 foot runouts till he could stance, was way more extended and engaged than dudes doing "cutting edge" 5.13 today with sticky rubber who may have toproped the moves into submission for weeks before rap drilling some monster bolts.

No question and no argument.

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on Aug 30, 2009, 4:52 PM)

granite_grrl

Aug 31, 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #67 of 68 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Did he place his own gear - might have been (relatively) trivial to do - but he wasn't relying in someone else to engineer out the risk.
He placed his own gear. Would have been a much faster process just to pinkpoint it, but he wanted to do it in the best style he was capable of.

Edited to add that the FFA was done by Peter Croft on pinkpoint. Though I'm sure that it was pretty trivial to him, as far as I know that route hasn't had many ascents, pink or red.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Aug 31, 2009, 11:41 AM)

Partner cracklover

Aug 31, 2009, 3:00 PM
Post #68 of 68 (897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Quickdraw Distinction - Bolt Side | Rope Side w/same biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Hey Jay - Heliums gate open: 10kN.

Bam! Take that Mr Pretzl!

GTongue

Stubai Supreme = 11 kN open

Kong Ergo #763 = 12 kN open

Take that Mr.WC...

Sorry, I guess you missed the inside joke about Jay having a Pretzl fixation. I like my Heliums, but don't have a woody for WC (or any other gear company).

Anyhow, interesting info on those biners.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook