Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

johnwesely

Jan 30, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #76 of 132 (10204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tehbillzor] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

tehbillzor wrote:
Johnwesly it is great that you have the ingenuity to purchase a rack, but every ones situation is different. My intent was not to be a whinny baby, but rather to communicate my point of view on the topic. I guess what I don't understand is why having bolts 2-3ft off of a crack would ruin it for a trad climber. Perhaps once I have done my fair share of trad climbs I will understand.

It ruins it because it eliminates the commitment nature of the climb. When you rack up at the base of a climb, the rock is all there is. You have to climb it as is. The easy to protect sections are there. The runouts are there. When you start climbing a gear route, you are making a commitment. If there were bolts on it, then you could bail at any time. If the bolts are not there, then you don't have a choice. It is an arbitrary path to self reliance, but it is a whole lot of fun.

Partner camhead

Jan 30, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #77 of 132 (10198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

tehbillzor wrote:
Johnwesly it is great that you have the ingenuity to purchase a rack, but every ones situation is different. My intent was not to be a whinny baby, but rather to communicate my point of view on the topic. I guess what I don't understand is why having bolts 2-3ft off of a crack would ruin it for a trad climber. Perhaps once I have done my fair share of trad climbs I will understand.

I don't understand why they don't pave more backcountry hiking trails. Lots more people who are unable to walk on dirt and rocks would be able to hike on them, and if you don't like them, you can just still walk off to the side of the asphault.

johnwesely

Jan 30, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #78 of 132 (10194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
tehbillzor wrote:

I don't understand why they don't pave more backcountry hiking trails. Lots more people who are unable to walk on dirt and rocks would be able to hike on them, and if you don't like them, you can just still walk off to the side of the asphault.

Actually, Imagine how sweet it would be to rollerblade to the crag.

tehbillzor

Jan 30, 2010, 9:32 PM
Post #79 of 132 (10192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I started laughing after reading your post and your signature underneath it, But I would prefer to get paved roads and cell reception where I am rather than paved hiking trails.

jomagam

Jan 30, 2010, 9:38 PM
Post #80 of 132 (10190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Vintage whine. Wasn't good when it was young and has gained no credibility with age.

That's a powerful argument in any debate Wink

jomagam

Jan 30, 2010, 9:44 PM
Post #81 of 132 (10187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [p0bray01] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Drill baby, drill !!!

jt512

Jan 31, 2010, 3:29 AM
Post #82 of 132 (10156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
Finnish school or get a job

You could even get a job at Finnish School!

I think he meant Finnish school or get a jörb.

Jay

sbaclimber

Jan 31, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #83 of 132 (10123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
camhead wrote:
tehbillzor wrote:

It is! .....as long as you don't have a full trad rack with youTongue

There is a very small boulder / toprope chunk of rock close to my old community college, and right on a nice paved bike/blade-way. I skated there a couple times to go climbing. I was a fun way to warm upCool

budman

Jan 31, 2010, 2:52 PM
Post #84 of 132 (10113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to bolt a crack go right ahead. It only shows your lack of respect for those who came before you and and arrogance and entitlement of a spoiled brat. You can climb with people that have gear and almost always share, learn the skills necessary or bring the stone to your level. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Bolting a crack only shows how low one will stoop to say I climbed it. I personally have more respect for those that backed off something and never climb it than those that brought it down to their level. Must admit my roots in climbing are way traditional and I thank those that taught me the restraint to climb with respect. And yes there are many things I haven't gotten up and many things I'll never be able to do and each and every one is on my list to do until I am no longer here.

Partner angry

Jan 31, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #85 of 132 (10110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
tehbillzor wrote:

I can climb DWS all day within 20 feet of my scooter.

jt512

Jan 31, 2010, 3:30 PM
Post #86 of 132 (10104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
If you want to bolt a crack go right ahead. It only shows your lack of respect for those who came before you and and arrogance and entitlement of a spoiled brat. You can climb with people that have gear and almost always share, learn the skills necessary or bring the stone to your level. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Bolting a crack only shows how low one will stoop to say I climbed it. I personally have more respect for those that backed off something and never climb it than those that brought it down to their level. Must admit my roots in climbing are way traditional and I thank those that taught me the restraint to climb with respect. And yes there are many things I haven't gotten up and many things I'll never be able to do and each and every one is on my list to do until I am no longer here.

So how do you feel about this?

(What took me so long?)

Jay

boymeetsrock

Jan 31, 2010, 3:52 PM
Post #87 of 132 (10096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tehbillzor wrote:
No; I don't want obama to do anything but resign, but that is neither here nor their. All that I am saying is that having bolted routes are very convenient for me, and most of the people who I climb with (college ages) because we don't have $1500+ to spend on trad gear.

Lay of teh weed for a couple of weeks and you're half way there.

tehbillzor

Jan 31, 2010, 3:59 PM
Post #88 of 132 (10090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You actually pay for that stuff Shocked

boymeetsrock

Jan 31, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #89 of 132 (10088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
budman wrote:

So how do you feel about this?

[img]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/1/286941-largest_76392.jpg[/img]

(What took me so long?)

Jay

Seriously, 4 1/2 years.?. You're slipping. Tongue

boymeetsrock

Jan 31, 2010, 4:02 PM
Post #90 of 132 (10087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tehbillzor wrote:
You actually pay for that stuff Shocked

Added to the post I had responded to, this only proves you want someone to carry your bags. Stick to bouldering.

budman

Jan 31, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #91 of 132 (10074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Picture is worth a thousand words. Like I said do as you like. I don't have to live with you, you do. As to rock quality and type it surely plays a part in the ethical question. Is it limestone of a quality that would not accept a fall on cams or such? Would have preferred to see it drilled on lead but many don't take the time to do it in style. There is a climb near my home that has sat for 10 years that I know of with a couple of bolts only because the gentleman doing the route could not place the next hook to drill with toproping being dead easy. It's left as a project because the style in which it establishes the route is as important as the route. Admire his style and glad he is a friend and always pushing the limits of climbing.

boymeetsrock

Jan 31, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #92 of 132 (10073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
camhead wrote:
tehbillzor wrote:

It'd be like a modern cross training facility. Rollerblade to the crag. RP some gnarly cracks with the supperlight draws. Then if the pump overwhelms you, you can cruise your Hover-round home.

climbingtrash

Jan 31, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #93 of 132 (10069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:

Jay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OonDPGwAyfQ

jt512

Jan 31, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #94 of 132 (10056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:

Jay

That was impressive. He must of had too rehearse the shit out that.

Edit: And the link is already coming in handy: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2280034#2280034

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 31, 2010, 5:13 PM)

climbingtrash

Jan 31, 2010, 5:52 PM
Post #95 of 132 (10042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:

Jay

Edit: And the link is already coming in handy: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2280034#2280034

Jay

Ha, yeah...that's what I thought too. Wow...real handy over on that other thread.

jt512

Jan 31, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #96 of 132 (10021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:

Jay

Jay

Ha, yeah...that's what I thought too. Wow...real handy over on that other thread.

Thats sew cute. Yew think your cleaver, dont chew.

Jay

climbingtrash

Jan 31, 2010, 8:13 PM
Post #97 of 132 (10011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
jt512 wrote:
camhead wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:

Jay

Jay

Thats sew cute. Yew think your cleaver, dont chew.

Jay

Yep...cleaver and cute. *sigh* I've been outed...

potreroed

Jan 31, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #98 of 132 (9990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:

What about doing the FA on trad gear then bolting it for the masses?

budman

Jan 31, 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #99 of 132 (9978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] crack sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the question as I believe it is asked in honesty. The answer is a bit tongue in cheek. A trad crack is just that. A bolted crack is a mere layback with no jamming skills what so ever required for the most part. If you can jam then your probably going to want to climb it straight in and that is perfect for placing gear. For me climbing is placing gear and leaving as little trace as possible. I'm not climbing hard and it is a joke to think I ever did but it just has never been ALL about the numbers but more the style. I clip bolts with delight when I come across them on run out terrain, slabs (they scare the shit out of me but I climb them because I like getting better at what scares me), great face climbs, and bolts ladders on aid climbs, oh yes and those big 1/2 inchers when I'm pump at the anchor. Bolts make me feel safe when climbing but it's leaving that comfort zone that draws me to climbing in general. If you want to climb cracks without bolts give me a call as there are many where I live.

jt512

Jan 31, 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #100 of 132 (9976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
For me climbing is placing gear....

That just about says it all.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?