Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

asandh

Apr 27, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #51 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Re: your opinion on bolted cracks please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:)

healyje

Apr 28, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #52 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lots of people who know how to place gear still bolt protectable cracks. Many factors contribute, the main being the type of crag the area is.

It's not because someone put up sport routes that they don't climb trad, they are just smart enough to accept change and have decided to not limit themselves to one disipline.

I and many others absolutely disagree with the ideas presented in all three sentences. These statements are the essence of the problem - that all the rock is simply here for us to consume however we feel with no responsibility for the future, when in reality every chip, every bolt, and every name painted on permanently alters the rock. Some bolts are arguably necessary and in some are areas many are necessary or no climbing would be possible. But the idea that there is some legitimate "cross-over point" at which it's fine to bolt protectable cracks will never be accepted by us.

In reply to:
...smart enough to accept change...

Rather, we interpret this statement as "...stupid enough to accept vandalism..."

healyje

Apr 28, 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #53 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
crag. What is clearly "lame" is applying traditional climbing ethics to a sport crag. For the millionth time: sport crags have their own ethics.

A tragic lack of ethics rooted in the judeo-christian idea of it all being god-given to do with as one pleases. Again, this is mass consumerism at it's finest. How do you think crags became "sport crags" with all bolted lines even next to good pro. By adopting the lamest approach possible to climbing and deciding that bolts rather than being a necessary evil are actually a convenient device for "common good". A little discrimination obviously must strain the minds of these brave and skilled ascentionists.

The result is we now have rampant, clueless bolting and retro bolting going on nationwide. As I said, even two bolts at Dishman represents climbing at it's lowest. How many bolts does it take to become objectionable if not one. Ten? Fifty? Every unecessary bolt is simply unecessary blight representing an astonishing level of group denial from folks who simply accept them let alone welcome them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When the big red and yellow sign says "Over Twenty Million Bolts Served" it just simply can't be wrong...

noshoesnoshirt

Apr 28, 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #54 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think this is wrong when concerned with an issue that is on the borderline, such as rap bolting or something of that nature. Then local ethics rule. But, when blasting a hole in the rock when there are other options is concerned, in my opinion that is blatently unnecessary and thus local ethics are overruled.

I agree. Blasted holes tend to be all raggedy around the edges. Better to use a drill of some sort. Or a Ronco PocketBeaver (C).

dingus

Apr 28, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #55 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A tragic lack of ethics rooted in the judeo-christian idea of it all being god-given to do with as one pleases.

Now that is a new wacko bend on an old issue, I'll give you that! Blame sport climbing on Christians.

Dude, you are smoking the SHIT!

DMT

noshoesnoshirt

Apr 28, 2005, 2:25 AM
Post #56 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blessed are the meek...

james_climber

Apr 28, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #57 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a sport climber but i dont like bolted cracks , that is why there are gear , but some times if you are in a big sport area and just some spots with cracks i think is not a bad idea bolt them , just to dont carry the whole gear for a few meters

elvislegs

Apr 28, 2005, 2:34 AM
Post #58 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[life] "i think he said "blessed are the cheese makers"[/life]

Partner neuroshock

Apr 28, 2005, 3:01 AM
Post #59 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Every unecessary bolt is simply unecessary blight representing an astonishing level of group denial from folks who simply accept them let alone welcome them...
from your viewpoint, what justifies a bolt as "necessary?" why not, then, be like the brits and headpoint everything? if it doesn't go on pro, it doesn't go.

i'm sure there are bolted blank sections of otherwise 'PG' or 'R' protectable routes out there that protect you from groundfall potential. sack up, pull the moves, and chop those bolts--or are those bolts "necessary?"

slippery slopes....

and then, who gets to decide, case by case, whether a bolt is necessary?

ikefromla

Apr 28, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #60 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The first ascenionist. It is obviously up to their discretion. This is why would not pull or chop a bolt that I see as unnecessary, but I would charge FAists to be responsible and accountable for every bolt they place.
And if you retro bolt someone else's route without their permission, you are also lame.

Apr 28, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #61 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My 2 cents:

I was climbing at Post Falls, Id about 2.5 years ago. My partner and I brought gear. We did some sport climbs and then looked to do some gear routes. We found a nice 5.8 gear route right next to some similiar if not harder sport routes (Rock Garden Wall - left side). There was 3 older guys climbing in aproach shoes. These dudes where way better climbers than us.

I lead the gear route and my friend followed and cleaned it. When we were done one of the older guys came over and said to me "It was a pleasure to see you lead that route. I haven't seen anyone climb on gear out here for years." These guys were way better climbers than us, and I tell you what, it felt soooooo gooooood to have him say that to me and he seemed to genuinely appreciated watching us climb it even though he himself had climbed it years ago.

You bolt a legitimate gear climb and you steal that experiance from people like me who are willing to carry their gear into an area that is considered a sport area.

Please don't be greedy and steal this experiance from people who like to climb on gear.

Again just my 2 cents.

Ken

noshoesnoshirt

Apr 28, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #62 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The first ascenionist. It is obviously up to their discretion.

Quod erat demonstrandum

live2climb

Apr 28, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #63 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just do what you feel is right im a trad climber but i have been veary happy to see a bolt after a 40 runout on an offwith i cliped it for sure
just climb more and fess less

healyje

Apr 28, 2005, 4:09 AM
Post #64 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
A tragic lack of ethics rooted in the judeo-christian idea of it all being god-given to do with as one pleases.

Now that is a new wacko bend on an old issue, I'll give you that! Blame sport climbing on Christians.

Dude, you are smoking the s---!

DMT

Dingus,

You're a bright boy and most of your posts are pretty smart except for the few where you're trolling and muckraking. Bright enough to figure out a reference linking blatant consumption and consumer behavior with the country's judeo-christian outlook on the environment and resource management in general. But giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll see if I can make it any clearer.

Let's see. Well, there is absolutely no difference in the consumptive mindset and rationale between this issue of judicious and reasoned use of fixed pro [as a last resort down to each and every miserable bolt] versus grid bolting simply for "convenience" and the issue of selective cutting versus clear cutting in our forests. Cut selectively? Why the hell would we leave some trees when we're taking most of them any way? That would be a totally inconvenient and a complete hassle. And spare old growth trees? Why? They are the best ones to build with. Again, if you think there is any difference between the two then you're not nearly as bright as your posts would otherwise suggest.

Again, how many unnecessary bolts does it take before it becomes objectionable? When does an area become "sport" and who decides? When enough people with drills show up? You'd be the first one bitching and moaning if someone decided to retro bolt Valley trade routes - why? Hell, no one but climbers can see them up there anyway given the scope and scale of the thing. And you wouldn't need to clip them if you didn't want to. Regs aside, what would be the basis for your or anyone else's objection? I'm sure you could set some limits around it all, though. Maybe you could restrict it to only bolting all the offwidths and chimneys with 40 foot runouts. But then, how many bolts would be too many...?

And what about when sport folks demand a piece of the action at your favorite trad crag? Maybe the elitism is more about protecting my rock and not really giving a rat's ass about "lesser" crags and other people's stone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When the big red and yellow sign says "Over Twenty Million Bolts Served" it and they just can't be wrong...

dingus

Apr 28, 2005, 6:05 AM
Post #65 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bright enough to figure out a reference linking blatant consumption and consumer behavior with the country's judeo-christian outlook on the environment and resource management in general.

Remember the giant statues the Taliban blew straight to hell? Carved from living rock from non-Judeau-Christians.

How about the Great Wall of China? Built by non-Christians, carved from rock.

Ever heard of the Parthenon, the Acropolis? Built from 'living' stone as I recall.

The Pyramids seem to be built o rock too.

All of these things were built of rock, by non Christians, who saw fit to use the rock they found to build things.

In reply to:
Well, there is absolutely no difference in the consumptive mindset and rationale between this issue of judicious and reasoned use of fixed pro [as a last resort down to each and every miserable bolt] versus grid bolting simply for "convenience" and the issue of selective cutting versus clear cutting in our forests.

I agree. There are forests where we should not clear cut. There are other forests where it is totally appropriate to do so. I will give you an example: old growth redwood forests should not be clear cut for a variety of reasons. Wayerhauser pulp forests of southern Georgia, monolithic stands of tree, tree farms if you will? Totally appropriate to clear cut those.

In reply to:
Why the hell would we leave some trees when we're taking most of them any way?

Your tragic mistake is your inability to distinguish.

In reply to:
Again, how many unnecessary bolts does it take before it becomes objectionable?

To you? None I would suppose. Have you evcer visited one of the tree farm forests of south Georgia? How about the ones in Maine? Have you visited every single forest in the country, to determine if selective cutting is in fact the appropriate logging method? I might ask the same of climbing areas, but I know you haven't, so I won't bother.

In reply to:
When does an area become "sport" and who decides?

Not you, that much is obvious.

In reply to:
When enough people with drills show up? You'd be the first one b---- and moaning if someone decided to retro bolt Valley trade routes - why?

We are not talking about retrobolting, sorry. Different subject. See, that would be akin to going back to the selectively cut forest and taking out the trees that were purposely left behind.

In reply to:
And what about when sport folks demand a piece of the action at your favorite trad crag?

Yawn, I really don't care all that much I reckon. There are sport routes in the Valley and the few I have done, I enjoyed them.

In reply to:
Maybe the elitism is more about protecting my rock and not really giving a rat's ass about "lesser" crags and other people's stone.

Your logic is faulty, your conclusion, bunk.

In reply to:
When the big red and yellow sign says "Over Twenty Million Bolts Served" it and they just can't be wrong...

I can name 10 towns near here that have no Mc Donalds. I can also name 10 climbing areas near here that have no sport routes. Sometimes I want to sit down for a good homecooked meal. Other times I pine for a Big Mac. I like choice in my life and I'll be damned if I will cede that privilege to a reactionary who crys foul over any rap placed bolt, crack or no crack.

DMT

healyje

Apr 28, 2005, 8:04 AM
Post #66 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Bright enough to figure out a reference linking blatant consumption and consumer behavior with the country's judeo-christian outlook on the environment and resource management in general.

Remember the giant statues the Taliban blew straight to hell? Carved from living rock from non-Judeau-Christians.

How about the Great Wall of China? Built by non-Christians, carved from rock.

Ever heard of the Parthenon, the Acropolis? Built from 'living' stone as I recall.

The Pyramids seem to be built o rock too.

All of these things were built of rock, by non Christians, who saw fit to use the rock they found to build things.

As you usually do when the going gets hard - instantly rachet out to ludicrous extremes in scope, time, and topic. We're talking consumption behaviors in the relatively modern U.S. timeframes. I know it's hard, but try to stick with modern times and our behavior and its possible roots and consequences...

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, there is absolutely no difference in the consumptive mindset and rationale between this issue of judicious and reasoned use of fixed pro [as a last resort down to each and every miserable bolt] versus grid bolting simply for "convenience" and the issue of selective cutting versus clear cutting in our forests.

I agree. There are forests where we should not clear cut. There are other forests where it is totally appropriate to do so. I will give you an example: old growth redwood forests should not be clear cut for a variety of reasons. Wayerhauser pulp forests of southern Georgia, monolithic stands of tree, tree farms if you will? Totally appropriate to clear cut those.

I agree, certainly now that they have clearcut the majority of the old growth forests in this country and replaced them with [fire and pest prone] monocultures you'll get no objection from me over clearcutting clearcuts. But, the mindset in question is exactly the same - we just happen to be at the end of logging old growth and the beginning of bolting climbs.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why the hell would we leave some trees when we're taking most of them any way?

Your tragic mistake is your inability to distinguish.

I distinguish quite well, and can certainly distinquish when rock is protectable and when it isn't (and when someone is too damn lazy or clueless to slam a cam or nut) - I'd say the tragedy is your's if you can't or choose to turn a blind eye. But from your comment we can only surmise you're all for clearcutting old growth if it's going to be logged anyway - given you can't distinguish the difference.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Again, how many unnecessary bolts does it take before it becomes objectionable?

To you? None I would suppose. Have you evcer visited one of the tree farm forests of south Georgia? How about the ones in Maine? Have you visited every single forest in the country, to determine if selective cutting is in fact the appropriate logging method? I might ask the same of climbing areas, but I know you haven't, so I won't bother..

Yes, any bolt that's not necessary - i.e. is next to protectable features - is objectionable to me. And forestry management isn't rocket science at this point: don't log old growth, and in any stand that remotely retains something resembling sustainable habitat - then take trees selectively.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Great answer, glib beyong compare - but want to try and actually answer it or was the question simply too hard...?

In reply to:
In reply to:
When enough people with drills show up? You'd be the first one b---- and moaning if someone decided to retro bolt Valley trade routes - why?

We are not talking about retrobolting, sorry. Different subject. See, that would be akin to going back to the selectively cut forest and taking out the trees that were purposely left behind.

Actually, it's the very same subject as many climbs are now being retro bolted by sport climbers to bring them down to their comfort level. Gear-free climbing want's new and old ground and gets it where it can find or take it.

In reply to:
In reply to:
And what about when sport folks demand a piece of the action at your favorite trad crag?

Yawn, I really don't care all that much I reckon. There are sport routes in the Valley and the few I have done, I enjoyed them.

Oh, so then aside from the regs (and given you left out the Valley questions in your liberal cut-n-paste job) you're saying you'd have no problem seeing El Cap trade routes bolted? If not, why - yawn - who would care? No one but climbers would even know...

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maybe the elitism is more about protecting my rock and not really giving a rat's ass about "lesser" crags and other people's stone.

Your logic is faulty, your conclusion, bunk.

Could be, if you don't even give a rat's ass about your own local crag. Or maybe it's only the real big stone you care about...? Who knows with that answer...

In reply to:
In reply to:

I can name 10 towns near here that have no Mc Donalds. I can also name 10 climbing areas near here that have no sport routes. Sometimes I want to sit down for a good homecooked meal. Other times I pine for a Big Mac. I like choice in my life and I'll be damned if I will cede that privilege to a reactionary who crys foul over any rap placed bolt, crack or no crack.

DMT

You may be able to name 10 climbing areas that currently have no sport routes (and bully for you...), and we can assume from your comments you'd have no objection to folks "sporting out" those routes and areas. I can name 10 climbing areas that used to be trad areas that are now extensively bolted. But again, you make it pretty plain you don't have much to say about how one becomes the other.

And I never said a word about "rap placed" bolts at all - simply bolts next to protectable features such as cracks. There's nothing reactionary about it, actually more like common sense, basic courtesy, and self-respect. But hey, what you eat is your business - but the equivalent dining analogy is don't go around building McDonalds where they aren't welcome, then telling me how good the food is, and then make me step around your trash...

In short, you're basically saying you just don't care [about] and are only concerned with what you feel like at the moment - a big mac or homecooked meal as it were - and don't care how you get it? Or to put it in other words, it's your basic judeo-christian "god-put-it-all-here-for-me-to-abuse-and-f#ck-everything-so-long-as-I'm-well-fed-and-entertained" approach to life...

And hey, why the hell not? It's obviously working for you so far...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. The Restaraunt lobby Monday took out full page ads in all major newspapers declaring the obesity epidemic is all [government] hype and a myth. Looking around you the next time you're in a crowded McDonalds for your big mac I have no doubt you'd be toting the party line on that one too ("So long as they're all getting big together who's to say they're fat...? A few elitist skinny guys - who'd believe them?")

dingus

Apr 28, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #67 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As you usually do when the going gets hard - instantly rachet out to ludicrous extremes in scope, time, and topic. We're talking consumption behaviors in the relatively modern U.S. timeframes. I know it's hard, but try to stick with modern times and our behavior and its possible roots and consequences...

No, YOU were talking abou that. I'm not going to allow you to establish arbitrary date limits on the possible roots and consequences. What I showed, categorically, is that humans have a deep history of USING ROCKS for their benefit and that use predates the Judeau/Christian ethic by at least 5000 years. It was your contention that bolts next to cracks arise from a judeau-christian ethic that started this discussion. So sure you cry foul when I point out people started abusing rocks long before either of those religions or ethical structures existed.

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Great answer, glib beyong compare - but want to try and actually answer it or was the question simply too hard...?

OK, the people who climb there, and again, obviously not you.

In reply to:
Actually, it's the very same subject as many climbs are now being retro bolted by sport climbers to bring them down to their comfort level.

Please see the subject line.

In reply to:
Oh, so then aside from the regs (and given you left out the Valley questions in your liberal cut-n-paste job) you're saying you'd have no problem seeing El Cap trade routes bolted? If not, why - yawn - who would care? No one but climbers would even know...

El Cap sports hundreds of bolts. And like I said, retrobolting is a different topic.

In reply to:
Could be, if you don't even give a rat's ass about your own local crag. Or maybe it's only the real big stone you care about...? Who knows with that answer...

Why do you insist in defining what others think?
In reply to:
You may be able to name 10 climbing areas that currently have no sport routes (and bully for you...), and we can assume from your comments you'd have no objection to folks "sporting out" those routes and areas.

RETROBOLTING IS A DIFFERENT TOPIC. HELLO!!!!!

In reply to:
but the equivalent dining analogy is don't go around building McDonalds where they aren't welcome, then telling me how good the food is, and then make me step around your trash...

Exactly right, we have a thousand people who want that Mc Donalds and one who doesn't.

In reply to:
In short, you're basically saying you just don't care [about]

No. I'm saying I don't care about your definition of how to care about rocks.

In reply to:
P.S. The Restaraunt lobby Monday took out full page ads in all major newspapers declaring the obesity epidemic is all [government] hype and a myth.

ps. Actually, what they are going to say is the hype over the obesity epiodemic is greatly overblown, as recent government analysis shows. Just as the hype of overbolting is greatly overblown in your case.

DMT

tradclimbr

Apr 28, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #68 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to see a bolted crack if it'll take pro. But I saw something that was worse yet. A couple of "dudes" climbed this .11a finger tip crack in the City of Rocks that was bolted, clipping every bolt along the way. Then they proclaimed at the top that it was ridiculous to have a bolted crack, at which point they rapped off and removed every bolt hanger along the way. I wouldn take issue with it if they had place all their own gear on the way up but this was ridiculous.

nich_popsicle

Apr 28, 2005, 4:55 PM
Post #69 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
See, I never understood the "I AM OFFENDED! OUTRAGED! GODDAMNIT< THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THAT BOLT THREATENS CIVILIZATION! IT RUINED MY CLIMB!" crowd.

I concur with Dingus on this topic; Lah dee frickin dah if someone bolted your precious crack. Stop being a pretentious a-hole and bitching and moaning that your world is over and ruined and your chi is all out of whack because there is a freaking BOLT on a protectable crack climb :roll:!!!! WaaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaHHHHhhh!!

For those who thoroughly enjoy crack climbing, you would think that this would make it MORE fun to climb, as now you can safely attempt harder cracks, and push your limits, and not have to worry about finding the right size cam, or nut, or hex, or ham f-ing sandwich to shove into the crack. Do not get me wrong, I am not bashing on trad climbing, I have tons of respect for it, as much as every other aspect of climbing (except for slacklining on plain level ground, stupid dirty hippies with nothing better to do :lol: ), I just think that people are being totally elitist and snobby about this whole thing. Oh no, so there is a bolt there, and you brought a whole rack of gear to the crag. DON'T USE THE DAMN BOLT! In fact, don't even look at the bolt. Give it the cold shoulder, yeah, that will teach it a lesson.

Give me a break, it's a frickin piece of metal, let it be...

david_frazier

Apr 28, 2005, 5:27 PM
Post #70 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="fshizzle"]You don't damage the rock if you pull bolts right.

That's interesting I always used stainless steel RAWL type Studs. I would be curious to know how to PULL them without damaging the rock. Cut them off, hammer them in and cover them with epoxy maybe but not pull them. If you do know of a way please tell.

David

caughtinside

Apr 28, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #71 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am constantly amused by people's reactions to bolts--they cover the entire spectrum of human emotion, and this thread is no different. :lol:

First, we have guys like healyje, who are the self appointed quality control, approving of some bolts, rejecting others, and diving into some strange comparisons between bolts and mcdonalds. Accompanied of course by Dingus's response, which was absolutely sidesplitting.

Then, we get a heartwarming tale by some guy, who led a crack in front of some dudes, who then praised him. THe praise made junior's day. Aw shucks. This accompanied by a plea to let others share the joy of basking in the praise of others.

Now, I do a wee bit of bolting here and there, and people's comments on that are funny too. The 5.11 climbers invariably tell me that the 5.8 is bolted too tight. No complaints about the 5.11s though! :P On another occasion, I was acutally cheered on from the ground while I drilled a hole! Hip Hip Hooray!

And it is and should remain a local issue. People get so worked up about a bolt next to a crack 1000 miles away. The first post of this thread, for instance. Jay's Williamson example, which inflamed the passions! And, no, I wouldn't take a rack to williamson, or even Owens. If the sport routes outnumber the gear leads by 10 to 1, I simply won't bother. It's not laziness, there's just other stuff to do.

Crags have a way of regulating themselves, at least in my experience. Every now and then a bolt goes in where it shouldn't. Sometimes it gets chopped, sometimes it doesn't. Life goes on. healyje's outrage is interesting, because the bolts he complains about are at a crag it sounds like he doesn't go to often. It sounds like there is/was a group of climbers there who made use of their local resource in the manner they saw fit. Meanwhile, he'll tell stories about a friend who broke his back toproping a steep overhang, or his 5.11x FA. I'm sure those lines get done a lot. I'll even go out on a limb here and say they're stupid and should be retroed.

I won't do it. But I won't mention the "E" word if it happens either.

Bottom line? Bolts make people say and do crazy things. It's maddening, heartwarming, amusing.

And I don't understand it at all. WHich I guess is why it's so funny.

jt512

Apr 28, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #72 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The first ascenionist. It is obviously up to their discretion. This is why would not pull or chop a bolt that I see as unnecessary, but I would charge FAists to be responsible and accountable for every bolt they place.

Ike, by that standard, almost every route you've been on has about twice the number of bolts that are "necessary." Sport climbs are bolted at least partly for convenience. That's one reason that healyje's objection to two bolts where natural pro existed at an entirely sport crag is absurd.

-Jay

healyje

Apr 28, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #73 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus,

Retrobolting is just another facet of the same issue - people with drills. So, outside of the indignation over someone objecting to totally unecessary bolts how about answering a few of the questions for about the third or fourth time...

Everyone claims this is a local issue, i.e. there are no baseline ethics - just whoever gets there first. So a clueless drill happy semp shows up first and bolts protectable routes and you're fine with it. Great - in my book that would make you as clueless as him.

Or a trad crew gets there first, climbs leave no trace and then moves elsewhere and a sport crew moves in, do you really think no bolts are going in? If you do you're totally clueless. I hear more and more stories about retrobolting every month (some of them here on RC).

And again, despite your unwillingness to answer the question, what's the objection to bolting anything, El Cap, Black Canyon, where do you draw the line? Why would you draw a line? What right do some old guys who didn't have the gear we do, or climb like us, have to tell us how to climb? Yet again, why not bolt the Nose - you wouldn't have to clip them. And if the feds hadn't stepped in you can bet El Cap would be well on its way to power drill grid bolted by now.

So you and all you're indignant friends basically assert there we as a community operate with no baseline ethics of any kind and none are necessary. Clueless to a person in my book - and don't whine when crowds and access issues get to your area. And that's the issue at hand - the wholesale abandonment of any baseline ethic governing the use of fixed pro whether new or retro. If the last twenty years are any indication we're at the beginning of this bolt parade and it will keep rolling doing damage except in places where government at some level steps in.

And I personally don't give a rip what you or anyone else thinks, as I said, I can distinguish between a bolt next to a protectable feature and one that's not - that you collectively justify and rationalize the behavior is no different than any other example of group think that has historically led to so many ugly consequences (in one civilization/religion after another on your time scales). And it wouldn't matter to me if I was the last guy that could tell the difference (and I must be getting close to it from the replies here) I'd still call a spade a spade when it comes to lame, unnecessary bolts. I'm not remotely into being a bolt cop, simply suggesting that everyone with a drill police them selves. But, hey, it's more than obvious it ain't gonna happen. Again, don't whine when it impacts your area.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As I've said elsewhere, in spite of all the growth in their sport surfers are lucky - you can't bolt waves. You still have to come up with same skill and stones as you parents or grandparents did if you want to ride Pipeline on a big day (regardless of whether they build a McDonalds on the beach or not...)

caughtinside

Apr 28, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #74 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As I've said elsewhere, in spite of all the growth in their sport surfers are lucky - you can't bolt waves. You still have to come up with same skill and stones as you parents or grandparents did if you want to ride Pipeline on a big day (regardless of whether they build a McDonalds on the beach or not...)

You've never seen big pipe. There are 100+ people there on a good day.

graniteboy

Apr 28, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #75 of 237 (17262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some cases in which a crack should be bolted, as when the "crack" is an expending flake (think wheat thin in the valley). But claiming that removal of an unwarranted bolt is "wrong" because "it will just be rebolted" is like claiming that turning in an abusive parent for beating their kid is "wrong" because the parent will just beat the kid harder when he gets out of jail.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook