Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

crimperqueen

Aug 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #251 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Re: granite_grrl fell @ mt nemo (sun july 23) please read [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is all excellent news!!!

Great to hear you are doing so well Rebecca! Fred and Marie-France and I are all thinking of you!

Lets hope Ontario has a good ice season. If not, you should come down to NB and climb here! Stay with us anytime!

darkside

Aug 12, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #252 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm sure darkside will be chiming in here soon saying that "ice" on her sore leg will feel good, if he already hasn't. I think he's at least made lots of reference. :lol:
Apparently you think I have a one track mind..... erm OK :?

In reply to:
Lets hope Ontario has a good ice season. If not, you should come down to NB and climb here! Stay with us anytime!
...but it seems the "ice it" thinking isn't just restricted to me is it :lol: :lol:

I'll try calling you when I get back to Canada. PM me with the best number to call these days.

TTFN

timstich

Aug 12, 2006, 7:46 PM
Post #253 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is really good news to hear for me, too. I'm practically crippled by another back spasm this weekend and nearly puking from hydrocodone. I'd love to send a get well card to you guys if I knew where to send it. Malcom Daly mentioned that those cards he got really helped him during his two stays in the hospital.

Partner brent_e

Aug 12, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #254 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello all.

Nate has pretty much covered all the updates for Rebecca as of friday the 11th so I won't add anything there.

I will say that Rebecca would like to thank Tisar and Tradman for the postcards and gifts! Thanks a bunch for sending them!

Tradman....what do i have to do to get a mini bottle of whisky?!?! :D

Take care!

Brent

skinner

Aug 12, 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #255 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, this is great news!
Put a smile on my face reading how well she is doing :D

chossmonkey

Aug 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #256 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd love to send a get well card to you guys if I knew where to send it.

I'm not sure how much longer she'll be at the Hamilton Hospital. She is supposed to be transfered closer to home once a bed opens up. The address where she is now is:

Rebecca Lewis
Hamilton General Hospital
237 Barton Street East
Hamilton ON L8L 2X2
Canada

The other option is to PM Brent and send it to him and he'll get it to Rebecca. Hopefully she won't need to get transfered and she can come right straight home.

Today was much the same as yesterday. She did really well in the wheelchair. She got better than 1:15 today and we finally got to take a trip outside. She wanted to make a run for the car and a quick getaway, but I screwed that one up by leaving the keys up in the room. :oops:

Last night she wanted to get up to pee so instead of calling a nurse she somehow got out of bed and made her way into the bathroom and back to bed on her own. :shock: She promises she didn't put any weight on her bad leg. It was hard to know if I should be mad at her or excited, I was plenty of both.

As well as she is doing hopefully they will let her go home next week. They still haven't really said when she would be able to go yet, other than she would have to be able to do things on her own. I think she is getting close.

Partner brent_e

Aug 13, 2006, 1:18 AM
Post #257 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock:

Your wife is one strong lady, Nate. Holy crap! :lol:
She obviously wants to go home. It's nice to hear she got to go outside, though, especially on such a nice day!

And yes, Timstich, if you want to get a letter or something to give to Rebecca it may be easier to send it to me. I can take care of that stuff with a bit more ease as I wouldn't want to burden Nate with that.

PM me for my address if you wish. That goes for anyone.

Best

Brent

slicari

Aug 13, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #258 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome, just plain awesome. Speedy recovery. :righton:

chossmonkey

Aug 15, 2006, 2:05 AM
Post #259 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today Rebecca got to walk using crutches and also with a walker. It's up to her which she uses. She still doesn't go very far with them but she is able to get up and go to the washroom under her own power now. Up until today she had to slide into a special chair and be wheeled in.

We talked to the DR. today, he said it would probably be three more weeks until they let her go home! :? She had X-Rays today, hopefully they will tell a different story and she will be able to come home sooner.

Thank you to everyone who has sent their support. Its unbelievable how this community can pull together for a fallen sister. Just the other day she got cards and gifts from Scotland and Germany! Thanks guys! :righton:

rendog

Aug 15, 2006, 4:40 AM
Post #260 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OMFG!

I'm so soryy that this is the first I've heard of this Brent....I'm glad to hear she's getting better.

I'll send you a PM brother for the particulars

timstich

Aug 15, 2006, 4:53 PM
Post #261 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope they aren't giving her hydrocodone and instead some better stuff. Glad to hear she is walking around some. Very glad she can get herself to the bathroom unassisted. That's a big one to be able to do for one's dignity.

Partner brent_e

Aug 16, 2006, 1:58 AM
Post #262 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahhhh, man, 3 weeks???

She'll be doing the freakin' jitterbug in 3 weeks........

I hope she gets out sooner.

and Nate, i'm going to try and come up tomorrow night.

Brent

chossmonkey

Aug 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #263 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ahhhh, man, 3 weeks???

She'll be doing the freakin' jitterbug in 3 weeks........

I hope she gets out sooner.

and Nate, i'm going to try and come up tomorrow night.

Brent

She already is getting REALLY sick of the hospital. While she is moving around a lot more she is still in bed a lot. I've been trying to get her to sit out of bed when she eats. I think they are going to want to see her out of bed a lot more than she is now before they let her go.

Partner the_mitt

Aug 16, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #264 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shed a tear everytime I hear of a man trying to keep his wife out of bed :lol:

Seriously I hope things are going well. One of the hardest things during recovery is an active mind recovering an injured body.

Mitt

billcoe_

Aug 16, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #265 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Granite grlll, time to get up and get home girl to be woith your loved ones again. Now don't made us all come down there and drag you out of bed! :lol:

Good luck and work hard with the recovery!

the_climber

Aug 16, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #266 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like another award is being handed out by yours truly.
From the Presenter of such awards as the Most Stubborn Climbing Partner Award, The Pink Panty Award, and the Worst Screaming Barfies I have ever Seen Award: I award granite_grrl "The Hardcore Tough Chick Award!"

I've been following this since Brent's first post. Don't know why I haven't posted until now though.

Rebecca, keep pulling through. It's a long road ahead, but it's just a road. Uphill both ways or not, I think everyone hear can agree that you've already done the hard part. Just think of the coming months as the grunt back to the car after a long alpine climb... it'll hurt, be frustrating, long, tiring, make you feel like it takes all you have, but in the end you always have that little extra left; be it from encouragement from partners, self determination, or both. (All of which seem to be in abundance in your case) The only difference here is that you "car at the end of the trudge out from the peak" is not the car, but in fact the rock/peak/ice, and that my friend will come with more elation, joy and sense of accomplishment then any 'end of trip' feeling of accomplishment any of us here have ever felt.

I've never met you, but am rootin' for you.

Partner brent_e

Aug 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #267 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to the_climber,

well put. Great post.

Brent

collegekid

Aug 17, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #268 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shitty.

I hope she's doing ok.

Be careful out there, folks!

(edited to add) Make sure she gets a nice supply of drugs for the "months of pain" after she gets out of the hospital... :twisted: :D

sick_climba

Aug 17, 2006, 5:32 AM
Post #269 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF the_climber doesn't get a trophie for that awesome post, then there is no hope for this site.... great post man... I mean wow! :wink:

my_name_is_fake

Aug 17, 2006, 5:34 AM
Post #270 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An interesting recovery timeline from page 1 to now.

Rebecca, I wish you a speedy recovery .

nosmo

Aug 17, 2006, 7:37 AM
Post #271 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From around the world (and from South Africa), we wish her all the best, and a speedy recovery once more.

granite_grrl

Aug 18, 2006, 3:28 AM
Post #272 of 354 (72343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rebecca didn't want me upping my post count and getting trophies for her posts anymore so I am posting for her. She still doesn't have Internet access so I saved the pages from this thread on the computer and brought it in for her to read them. She typed up this message tonight.

Another update from the bedside. Today I got a visit from Mr. Brent_E, who brought me two more letters from RC.com supporters. I just wanted to let everyone know that this support is more than I could have imagined. My burning desire to get back into climbing is partially from the overwhelming support from everyone here (I got another postcard, a magnet, and some Godiva Chocolates....nearly orgasmed when I opened up the chocolates :P ). Knowing the amazing people here in this sport, and to be a part of this and the chance to meet such amazing people is more than enough to look forward to the next time I get out on the road on a climbing trip and hopefully hang out with some of the people from this site. You guys rock!

So about me (seeing as this whole thread is kinda about me)...I've been feeling stronger and stronger, I've started working with crutches this week, but I still have to practice more. I think I also noticed that they have reduced my pain meds....but I'm not really noticing more pain. In fact I've actually been feeling better and better...I totally feel like I'm on the mend. It'll be a while yet (I'm not even sure when they'll let me out of the hospital), but at least I have the desire. Brent has promised to bring me a MEC catalog next time he comes, so I'll be armchair shopping for a new harness and helmet. I would like to go through my gear to double check if I lost anything, but from Nathan's check it sounds like I'll have to get very little (maybe a nut or two, and some carabiners).

Partner brent_e

Aug 18, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #273 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UPDATE: august 17

I'm feeling less and less of a need to update this as Rebecca's condition is improving so much. It doesn't seem like she is at the stage where things could be dicy, as before. But, I will say seeing her tonight was just fantastic!!!

Nate and her and I had a nice little chat tonight. Her voice is almost back to normal, too. She's been getting up and around on her own and got up to move around while I was there (using a walker, but she is also using crutches and the wheelchair).

it sounds like she's still having to stay in the hospital for a while, though, but she understands that it's needed.

Not much else to say! I was happy to see her doing so well tonight!!!

Thanks for all the support, Everyone.

And thanks to taz(booger) and paolo for the chocolates and thanks to stephen for the postcards!

Best regards

Brent

EDIT...so, Nate posted for Rebecca a couple seconds before me so this is kind of redundant......But, i'm keeping it here!!! :D

Partner macherry

Aug 18, 2006, 5:11 AM
Post #274 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys for the positive updates.

rebecca.........you go girl!!!!!

darkside

Aug 18, 2006, 5:50 AM
Post #275 of 354 (72342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So about me (seeing as this whole thread is kinda about me)...
Now don't be so coy.... it totally IS about you :D

In reply to:
Brent has promised to bring me a MEC catalog next time he comes, so I'll be armchair shopping for a new harness and helmet. I would like to go through my gear to double check if I lost anything, but from Nathan's check it sounds like I'll have to get very little (maybe a nut or two, and some carabiners).
This coming from the girl who noticed I didn't have a #6 hex. Erm 'scuse me but if you need an excuse to be a gear head and buy more, don't jump off a cliff or I'll blame rolling my car on you. If you need more gear just start a new game like ice climbing :twisted: oops - I bet you still have more gear to buy there eh.

Hey I'm sure Nathan mentioned I spoke with him yesterday but once you're out of the hospital, I'll call you too. I'll be disapointed not to see you two as soon as expected but you need to get back on form again and if that means being where you're at then I look forward to full healing. Time will pass and I'll see you before you know it anyway.
:righton:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook