Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

kellie

Sep 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #51 of 57 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Man look at all that crap I'm carrying around on a short climb. The Fish would scorn me!

I've been good, taking an EMT course and trying to heal up. Check your yahoo account for some pics.

cheers friend -- let's get some *climbing* in this year!

k

stymingersfink

Sep 14, 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #52 of 57 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
This:

sucks this:

IMHO.

you've gotta keep the individual loops balanced in the total weight of gear they hold, else the heaviest just slinks to the bottom, meaning the rest of the loops are out of reach and the padded section is now off your shoulder.

nice idea on paper, but in the real world they really do suck.

stick to the standard gear sling if you've just GOT to use one. they suck a little less.Pirate

vegastradguy

Sep 15, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #53 of 57 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
you've gotta keep the individual loops balanced in the total weight of gear they hold, else the heaviest just slinks to the bottom, meaning the rest of the loops are out of reach and the padded section is now off your shoulder.

well, i start with the smallest cams at chest level and move up in size as the loops move down toward my waist. since one #2 camalot nicely outweighs all of my small cams, i've never had this problem.

however, if you were to put the #4 camalot on your chest and your small cams near your waist, i could see this being a problem.

the_climber

Sep 15, 2007, 1:07 AM
Post #54 of 57 (839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:

well, i start with the smallest cams at chest level and move up in size as the loops move down toward my waist. since one #2 camalot nicely outweighs all of my small cams, i've never had this problem.

however, if you were to put the #4 camalot on your chest and your small cams near your waist, i could see this being a problem.

Sty, have you been racking your big cams at the front top loop again... how many time do I have to tell you...Tongue

stymingersfink

Sep 15, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #55 of 57 (825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it's not so much where i rack them, i know how to do that intelligently. It's when I UN-rack them for a placement. Do that a few times and things just naturally tend to get out of balance.

Unless i'm in the Creek on a crack where 12 #2's are called for, in which case it really doesn't matter.

studclimber

Sep 19, 2007, 1:21 AM
Post #56 of 57 (760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimo] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I rack all my pro on a single length runner over my shoulder, like a gear sling. I rack all my alpine draws on the front gear loops (right and left) of my harness. Screamers, cordlettes, lockers, belay devices, etc. go on the back two loops. I rack all my small nuts (1-10) on a single biner. I rack all large nuts (11-13, multiples of some sizes) on a biner. When I carry hexes, they all go on a biner together. And each cam gets it's own biner, always. Oh, and I rack the smallest stuff in the front, and biggest in the back, starting with passive pro, ending with active. Hope that helps. :)

flamer

Sep 22, 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #57 of 57 (704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [studclimber] How do you rack your gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my multi loop gear sling.
It's be soaked in sweat so many times you could salt your french fries just by rubbing it.
For organisation and speed of placements I don't think anything is better. And I've tried a lot of different ways.
You just need to find what works for you...not everybody likes everything...and not everything works for everybody! Also be able to adapt...in some situations you need to step out of the box.

Here is a another tip for racking when you need multiple size's ....every cam gets it's own biner, then "layer" the doubles onto each other. That is clip 1 to the gear sling then clip the next one to the biner of the first. This keeps the loops from getting to "full", thus allowing you to grab the right cam with out "sorting" through biners on your rack.

josh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook