Forums: Community: Campground:
WTF is up with people who climb trad?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

robbovius

Nov 5, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #126 of 485 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alleyehave] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
HappinessIsWinning wrote:
robbovius wrote:
3. I've seen KNs handiwork at Farley. he's a douche, hands down. so i contributed money to the WMCC, since that seems like it might actually help the cause rather than blathering away ineffectually, (or, like you, DRUNKENLY AND INEFFECTUALLY, about the wrong thing) on some stupid online BBS.

Just thought I'd point out that this post has clearly had an effect. Otherwise there wouldn't be 5 pages of responses in this short of time, and if you ignore posts like yours and pay attention to posts that actually discuss the topic you might be able to contribute something other than insults. But maybe that isn't why you post on this forum...

Yeah, cause your OP was really a call for an intelligent conversation.

...and an object lesson in allowing minors access to alcohol.

chossmonkey

Nov 5, 2008, 6:31 PM
Post #127 of 485 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Backpedaling is,.. um,..

Anyway, I'm not kissing ass, I just appreciate the idea of diversity, I like choices. He made a very valid point:

j_ung wrote:
Personally, I like some variety in my climbing. One day I might want a runout frightfest that tests my belayer almost as much as it tests me. On others I want to clip a bolt or two. The biggest mistake we as climbers can make, IMO, is to homogenize climbing one way or the other. When I lose the inclination and opportunity to customize my climbing as I see fit, it's probably time for me to hang it up. And since I don't really want to hang it up, I'll say I'm pretty happy to have some areas be closer to pristine and some not so much.

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks, but you're banzed anyway. I hereby impose a 2-second banz. That'll learn ya. Tongue
WEKE!!!!

chadnsc

Nov 5, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #128 of 485 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Beta for the FA of 'your mom'

A wide drooping crack that will accept a wide range of pro. Bring a few wide pieces (BD cams #4 and #5) to protect the crux. The crux is topping out a predominant ,overgrown bugle. You may find a beached wail move helpful.

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 6:45 PM
Post #129 of 485 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Here's the thing troll, peruse the accidents. All of them, gym, sport, bouldering, trad, mountains, etc.

Now where do the most accidents happen? At the inaccessible super hard trad routes? Or on the easily accessible sport and gym routes?

According to the accidents/deaths posted on this site so far for the year 2008:

Traditional Climbing: 25 reports
Sport Climbing: 8 reports
Gym: 3 reports
Rappelling: 14 reports
Soloing: 8 reports
God (avalanches, rockfall, etc): 4 reports
Aid: 2 reports
Top Roping: 1 report
Alpine: 3 reports
Ice Climbing: 4 reports

Maybe it's due to less steps to make mistakes at in sport climbing. I guess the next question would be "How many people climb trad, compared to people who climb sport?" Does anyone know an answer to this? From reading these posts it seems operator error is the most common cause of accident/death.

alleyehave

Nov 5, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #130 of 485 (2137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HappinessIsWinning] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Here's the thing troll, peruse the accidents. All of them, gym, sport, bouldering, trad, mountains, etc.

Now where do the most accidents happen? At the inaccessible super hard trad routes? Or on the easily accessible sport and gym routes?

Maybe it's due to less steps to make mistakes at in sport climbing. I guess the next question would be "How many people climb trad, compared to people who climb sport?" Does anyone know an answer to this? From reading these posts it seems operator error is the most common cause of accident/death.

Dude, buy a stick clip and get over it.

onceahardman

Nov 5, 2008, 7:03 PM
Post #131 of 485 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WTF, why you want to impose your views on someone else? I don't ask you to climb sport. Why the fuck do you think you should be telling others what to do. Seems to me that you suck at climbing faces so you find no use for bolts, which is fine for you, but keep it that way,... to yourself

Your point of view is IDENTICAL to those who want to chip blank faces...or perhaps worse, it's more like wanting to chip established routes, because you don't want to make the necessary commitment.

Maybe I should chip "midnight lightning"...why should kauk be so elitist as to use only certain holds? Everyone should have an equal chance to climb it.

You want bolts, because bolts are easy and cheap for you.

Build a wheelchair ramp to the top. Then everybody could do it.

You have equal opportunity. You do NOT have equal skill and dedication.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Nov 5, 2008, 7:05 PM)

Partner angry

Nov 5, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #132 of 485 (2120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

And how many of those were from gear pulling out?

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #133 of 485 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Your point of view is IDENTICAL to those who want to chip blank faces...or perhaps worse, it's more like wanting to chip established routes, because you don't want to make the necessary commitment.

I would never do such a thing.

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:11 PM
Post #134 of 485 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

About 5-6 were from placement pulling. On the other hand, there was only one report of a bolt breaking.

alleyehave

Nov 5, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #135 of 485 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 5-6 were from placement pulling. On the other hand, there was only one report of a bolt breaking.

I'm waiting for the triumphant introduction of your point.

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #136 of 485 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:

Read more of the thread then....

majid_sabet

Nov 5, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #137 of 485 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF, why you want to impose your views on someone else? I don't ask you to climb sport. Why the fuck do you think you should be telling others what to do. Seems to me that you suck at climbing faces so you find no use for bolts, which is fine for you, but keep it that way,... to yourself. BTW, I hope more people bolt cracks, you rich fucks can fuck yourselves with all your cams, most of us, especially given the times, can't afford a full trad rack. I would love to be able to climb cracks that were bolted, but you fucks have to make it just one more thing that is elitist, I hope BD fucks up and kills you all with a hellacious defect or some shit.MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

One more thing, I am trying to get a trad rack together, the point is that there is no reason everyone should have to get a full rack in order to climb crack.

Do not worry my son
OBAMA will raise the minimum wage

then you can buy some real cams and do some real climbing

alleyehave

Nov 5, 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #138 of 485 (2091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:

I've read it all. Your point is still missing an introduction as well as triumph.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 5, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #139 of 485 (2087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

I've read it all. Your point is still missing an introduction as well as triumph.

This is correct.

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:26 PM
Post #140 of 485 (2086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
alleyehave wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

This is correct.
ok

irregularpanda

Nov 5, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #141 of 485 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

Then don't bolt cracks. Seriously, if you do, I'll duct-tape you to the flagpole.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 5, 2008, 7:37 PM
Post #142 of 485 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

Why not? If you owned the property, you would be free to move the rock as you see fit. Make it harder / easier / safer / riskier / steeper / cripier / whatever. Go for it.

jeepnphreak

Nov 5, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #143 of 485 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF, why you want to impose your views on someone else? I don't ask you to climb sport. Why the fuck do you think you should be telling others what to do. Seems to me that you suck at climbing faces so you find no use for bolts, which is fine for you, but keep it that way,... to yourself. BTW, I hope more people bolt cracks, you rich fucks can fuck yourselves with all your cams, most of us, especially given the times, can't afford a full trad rack. I would love to be able to climb cracks that were bolted, but you fucks have to make it just one more thing that is elitist, I hope BD fucks up and kills you all with a hellacious defect or some shit.MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

One more thing, I am trying to get a trad rack together, the point is that there is no reason everyone should have to get a full rack in order to climb crack.

Iam a poor broke bolt junkie, and Yes I get to trad climb some times. How may you ask? simple, there are lot of people that want climbing partners, some evan have racks that they are willing to share for a day... ah ha just find a local gear head (there tons out there) to take you up away form the bolts. As you get $$ and time piece together your rack and after a few months or so, you can have you very own rack to take to the craig and join the elitist asshole club too.
Or after trading take them sport climbing and watch them take whippers and bitch about how they need pro and the next bolt is still 10' above Cool

southswell

Nov 5, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #144 of 485 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Re: WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you rich fucks can fuck yourselves with all your cams

I doubt I could fit more that a couple #1s

WTF, why you want to impose your views on someone else?

Isnt that what your doing with this thread?

I hope BD fucks up and kills you all with a hellacious defect or some shit

Wishing death on fellow climbers is no bueno. Ever heard of Kharma? Climbing after spewing horseshit like that could be very very dangerous.

See here:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/505484/2665630

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 5, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #145 of 485 (2043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Nice research. Meaningless, but nice.

Risk is only meaningful when compared with frequency.

It isn’t rocket science - now that is dangerous. (http://www.penmachine.com/...t-dangerous-job.html)

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:47 PM
Post #146 of 485 (2043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
alleyehave wrote:

why you want to impose your views on someone else? I don't ask you to climb sport. Why the fuck do you think you should be telling others what to do.

Oh yeah, I don't want to climb trad near as much as I want to climb cracks. I could care less how I'm protecting myself, so long as it's solid, I just want to climb different types of rock.

No one has a right to be elitist.... I agree with the idea of preserving the rock in it's natural state, but couldn't we just create better guidelines/standards for bolting? Paint the hangers to match, use glue-in's, use existing holes whenever possible... I understand the need for preservation, especially with particularly chossy areas. Garden of The Gods in Colorado Springs is a good example of bolting gone bad. The rock is mangled in spots. I understand prohibiting bolting in areas like this. There are however lots of areas with very solid rock where if you put painted hangers/glue-ins in the rock, you wouldn't see them unless right next to them.

I commonly find lines that you can't protect or TR, that would actually make great routes. Only thing stopping me is people who think trad climbing is the only way we should be able to climb. I am for equal access, if we have the technology to make climbing safer and more accessible to people then why not use it. Just because some dinosaur had to run his pieces out 20 feet doesn't mean I should have to. All the time on this forum people want to go and talk about "learn this/that from this/that accident/death" Why not take measures to make this sport as safe as possible?

And as far as climbing bolted crack,... I can get that done at Shelf Road.

I just appreciate the idea of diversity, I like choices. He made a very valid point:

j_ung wrote:
Personally, I like some variety in my climbing. One day I might want a runout frightfest that tests my belayer almost as much as it tests me. On others I want to clip a bolt or two. The biggest mistake we as climbers can make, IMO, is to homogenize climbing one way or the other. When I lose the inclination and opportunity to customize my climbing as I see fit, it's probably time for me to hang it up. And since I don't really want to hang it up, I'll say I'm pretty happy to have some areas be closer to pristine and some not so much.

I couldn't agree more.

I would only put up bolts on new routes (with proper research into ethics/regulation) or to replace old/outdated hardware on existing routes (once again talking to the people who are currently in charge of that for the area). I would never bolt a crack.

WHOO HOO Obama WON!!!!!

This is basically what I intended to say. If you don't like it then don't read it. If you don't get it, try reading it again, perhaps it will hit you eventually.

Have fun climbing, and be safe.

curt

Nov 5, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #147 of 485 (2038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Or, maybe it's due to an increasing number of people learning to climb at gyms and sportcrags who then go out and try to climb trad--which, unlike those two activities, actually requires some talent and judgment.

Curt

HappinessIsWinning

Nov 5, 2008, 7:58 PM
Post #148 of 485 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

could be

irregularpanda

Nov 5, 2008, 8:01 PM
Post #149 of 485 (2022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is basically what I intended to say. If you don't like it then don't read it. If you don't get it, try reading it again, perhaps it will hit you eventually.

Did you get it yet? Don't bolt cracks, or the tribe will jump you, and beat you savagely.

I offer you a challenge, before you bolt cracks, learn to climb trad for at least 3 years. BTW, you don't need to own a rack to accomplish this, just climb with other people.

knieveltech

Nov 5, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #150 of 485 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] WTF is up with people who climb trad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:

Did you get it yet? Don't bolt cracks, or the tribe will jump you, and beat you savagely.

I offer you a challenge, before you bolt cracks, learn to climb trad for at least 3 years. BTW, you don't need to own a rack to accomplish this, just climb with other people.

^^^^ Lame. Ignore this advice. I suggest you immediately start bolting cracks anywhere in Wyoming in front of as many of the locals as possible. Carry on.

(This post was edited by knieveltech on Nov 5, 2008, 8:04 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook