Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
The MASS CLIMBERS thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

orangekyak

Aug 11, 2009, 3:16 AM
Post #21976 of 22774 (3984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Total Beginner Routes in Boston - Why Can't I think of them??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yo if you go to red rock don't miss ray's picture. Walk past the gully to another small slab. There's a mini zipper that is a ton of fun. It goes 5.10, but not until the top. It's a worthwhile endeavor after your newbie buds try zipper and toe jam. TR setup requires lots of webbing or long runners. Lead requires brass spheres, friction, balance, and a good belay.

AntinJ

Aug 11, 2009, 3:20 AM
Post #21977 of 22774 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orangekyak] Total Beginner Routes in Boston - Why Can't I think of them??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've TR'd that baby a few times...the top is some burly slab climbing. I have yet to work up the nerve to lead it though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

jakedatc

Aug 11, 2009, 4:08 AM
Post #21978 of 22774 (3979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orangekyak] Total Beginner Routes in Boston - Why Can't I think of them??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

orangekyak wrote:
Yo if you go to red rock don't miss ray's picture. Walk past the gully to another small slab. There's a mini zipper that is a ton of fun. It goes 5.10, but not until the top. It's a worthwhile endeavor after your newbie buds try zipper and toe jam. TR setup requires lots of webbing or long runners. Lead requires brass spheres, friction, balance, and a good belay.

I remember that route! caught a few of your falls if i'm correct. really shitty greasy foot nub at the top right?

zipper was fun "jake now that you're past the crux you wanna place some gear?" ;)

dudemanbu

Aug 11, 2009, 9:00 PM
Post #21979 of 22774 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Total Beginner Routes in Boston - Why Can't I think of them??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Antin, if you're really worried about not having enough climbs under 5.8, you can just do the biggest wall at hammond pond with your noob friend. It's not too intimidating for beginners and I think the hardest line on it is only 5.9.

Gmburns2000

Aug 12, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #21980 of 22774 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AntinJ wrote:
Good stuff guys - as usual thanks for the insight. I think Red Rock offers a more 'outdoorsy' experience, but aside from Zipper 5.6 and Toe Jams 5.5, there are not too many beginner options, I think the Quincy Quarries will be my best choice. And I'll definitely have to go check out "Six Pack" soon; it looks like fun.

Greg - great Cannon story, we were up on the WG this past Friday with the showers and it was an awesome experience! ~ especially when a free soloist cruised past us on the pipe pitch wearing a full rack and interior frame pack!

I've been dying to get on the The Grape, and especially Reppy's since I first heard about it - Thanks for a terrific, detailed adventure summary.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Despite my hatred for crack (well, at least for hand / fist cracks, as I'm leaving open the possibility of finger cracks Laugh), I can totally see why folks love Reppy's. I think I just have small hands. Unsure

Yeah, rain on WG, no thanks. Been there done that. Would not, under and circumstances, feel intimidated by a soloist in that situation either. All I'd want to do is get the hell off! Laugh

CRod2487

Aug 14, 2009, 8:29 PM
Post #21981 of 22774 (3885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orangekyak] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I have been lurking for a few days here reading some of the newer posts on this thread. Im located in the New Bedford area and looking to get into climbing. Have no clue how to really go about the outdoor side of it. Also I'm not really interested with indoor but don't know if I need to get a belayer's certificate or not? Any help, advice or direction pointing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

ClimbClimb

Aug 14, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #21982 of 22774 (3879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CRod2487] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumney (& really all other Mass.) weather looks great this weekend. I think I may need a partner. Hmm.

AntinJ

Aug 14, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #21983 of 22774 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CRod2487] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt,
If you get the basics down (belaying, general safety, familiarity of basic gear, etc..) it will be easier to link up with people and partners to go climb outdoors. I found some of the local outdoor programs like the AMC to be quite helpful in learning the basics. You also have a pretty good rock gym near by, (Carabiners?), it's probably worth a few visits. You can also get a copy of the local guidebook (Boston Rocks) and go boulder/check out some of the Boston areas by yourself if you're really itching to get on the rocks - I found that to be a good intro and you don't need a climbing partner at first.

Good luck,

Jason

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Aug 14, 2009, 11:41 PM)

robbovius

Aug 19, 2009, 2:37 PM
Post #21984 of 22774 (3781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I scored a rope-solo onlsight at Purgatory Chasm last night, of a route I've never seen anyone on. its not in Boston Rocks (as far as I recall) and as is usual fro me, looked a shitload easier from the ground.

Additionally, its quite possibly the single dirtiest climb I've ever attempted, without actually intending to roll round in filth. IN fact, this morning at my desk I discovered that my left ear still had a nice layer of dirt inside it, missed over two showers. yum.

The climb is in the Lovers Leap area, on the south side of the chasm accross from the Charon 5.5., and follows the big right-angling ledge accross and up the face to the relatively easy dihedral finish of the .11 route which name I can't recall, that's directly accross from Paradise Lost 5.8.

while not exactly classic, I found the route had its own charm, with a couple commiting moves. I felt there were 2 cruxes, and it protected relatively well (maybe a PG piece or two, tricams work well, lotsa horizontals) and a grade of about 5.5. Its one of the longer routes at purgatory, about 60-70 feet, from start to the belay at the tree. you could even break it up into two pitches, and play mulitpitch on it, setting up a P2 belay on the main ledge.

If you're interested: start on some boulders at a blocky dihedral, just left of the big lower overhang, and do an easy-ish boulder move up to a large ledge. step wide out right around the arrete on good feet but sequency smallish hands (crux 1) and achieve the big main ledge. step easily along the main ledge for about 15 feet with bomber full hands (its easy, but dont forget to protect your second)

step up onto the steeper second ramp above the big horizontal crack. bang on the flake, and enjoy the hollow sound. work your way up the outwardly sloping slabby ramp on smeared feet and awkward, sketchy low hands. rubbing your shoulder along the overhanging wall to your left ensures a dirt shower.

at the end of the ramp, stem accross the dihedral (crux 2) using small feet and more sketchy hands. here, I felt a bit exposed, - the ramp bulges up a little and then slopes away more steeply outward. combined with the wall overhanging and pushing you away...brrrr, excitement! - thru the stem, finish up the easier blocky dihedral to the tree.

belay from the tree, and then for fun do the mostly free-hanging rappell back to the ground.

enjoy!

(This post was edited by robbovius on Aug 19, 2009, 2:44 PM)

jakedatc

Aug 19, 2009, 2:43 PM
Post #21985 of 22774 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rob.. heads up for possible rumney action Sept 5,6,7 labor day weekend.

robbovius

Aug 19, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #21986 of 22774 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Groovy man, I'll talk to Pam.

jakedatc

Aug 19, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #21987 of 22774 (3760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Possibly the weekend after if i can't get my brother to watch the dogs

losbill

Aug 21, 2009, 1:25 AM
Post #21988 of 22774 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rob, Good on ya! for getting out and git'r'dun!

Jason, nice meeting you today. Great effort on CroMag. If only I had your determination I might not climb like a tired old man.

Chris if perchance you are looking at this thread nice lead on CroMag. Super steady!

Lousy forecast for the weekend, but take heart everyone the best climbing season of the year is soon upon us!!! Sunshine, cool temps and low humidity are just around the corner!

Bill

AntinJ

Aug 21, 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #21989 of 22774 (3722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill - great meeting you as well! I finally TR'd that sucker clean just before we left for the day. Chris and I also climbed “Thin Line” – another terrific route. (For the record, there is still 1 pin left)

See you around the Hill,

Jason

losbill

Aug 21, 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #21990 of 22774 (3716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The pin that is missing was in the thin crack beneath the chockstone. The moves to step up to the upper pin are protectable but the gear is "finicky". You can't be casual about placing it.

If one was going to go missing I would have chosen the upper one. The horizontal it is in takes solid small cams.

wonderwoman

Aug 21, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #21991 of 22774 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Lousy forecast for the weekend, but take heart everyone the best climbing season of the year is soon upon us!!! Sunshine, cool temps and low humidity are just around the corner!

Darn rain! I am trying so hard to get some climbing in because I fear my season is about to end. I'm headed back to school in a few weeks. I am terrified! Haven't been in school for 10+yrs.

Josh may soon be searching for a new climbing partner. Unsure

olderic

Aug 21, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #21992 of 22774 (3702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
If one was going to go missing I would have chosen the upper one. The horizontal it is in takes solid small cams.

Agreed. Those pins have come and gone regularly for years. But I'll admit that I have never led it without at least 2 - the first time I did lead it, 30+ years ago, there were ~5 pins. Oh well - time to man up and do it without I guess.

mnatti

Aug 22, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #21993 of 22774 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For those interested, I was up at Red Rocks the other day and there are a number of new TR anchors for most of the lines on Main Wall and the Pink Floyd Wall. This not only opens up a number of hard to TR lines (including quite a few easy ones) but also gives the poor trees a bit of a rest! Talk amongst yourselves.

(This post was edited by mnatti on Aug 22, 2009, 3:11 PM)

Gmburns2000

Aug 22, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #21994 of 22774 (4114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mnatti] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mnatti wrote:
For those interested, I was up at Red Rocks the other day and there are a number of new TR anchors for most of the lines on Main Wall and the Pink Floyd Wall. This not only opens up a number of hard to TR lines (including quite a few easy ones) but also gives the poor trees a bit of a rest! Talk amongst yourselves.

With all the chopped bolts up there I wonder how long they'll last. Still, yeah, I'm glad the trees aren't being used anymore.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 25, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #21995 of 22774 (4072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mnatti wrote:

Which has created a stir amongst the local climbing community on the north shore. Whoever did it, did NOT get the support of the community. I would be very surprised if they stayed.

ANd it's NOT just toprope anchors. I would have less of a problem if that's all it was. They also cut down trees and put in lead bolts. On one climb, it looked like there was ONE bolt. A 20-25 route and you put in ONE bolt so it can be lead? WTF?

Josh

Gmburns2000

Aug 25, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #21996 of 22774 (4066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
mnatti wrote:

Which has created a stir amongst the local climbing community on the north shore. Whoever did it, did NOT get the support of the community. I would be very surprised if they stayed.

ANd it's NOT just toprope anchors. I would have less of a problem if that's all it was. They also cut down trees and put in lead bolts. On one climb, it looked like there was ONE bolt. A 20-25 route and you put in ONE bolt so it can be lead? WTF?

Josh

hmmm...knowing this, it now sounds a bit less productive.

mnatti

Aug 26, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #21997 of 22774 (4045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh.... consulting the "community." It's funny that gets brought up. Who actually is the community? Aren't we all, as users of the crag, the community? I have been climbing at Red Rocks for over 15 years and I've lived in or around Gloucester most of my life. I think the recent modifications at the crag are a big improvement and from what I've over heard most people saying at the crag in the past couple of weeks, the masses agree.
Over the years, most folks I've talked to up there (the community?) have repeated a concern for the health of the trees at the tops of the crag, a desire to be able to lead more lines (both by having top anchors to rap off and having/ replacing bolts on current TR lines) as well as having TR set-ups that don't require 40 foot slings. Sadly, the question of bolts at Red Rock has a long, checkered history but it seems to me that the ones against them are actually in the minority.
This weekend I was talking to a group from Boston's AMC while they were using some of the new bolts. They were saying that until that day, there had been discussions with the club to put new anchors in themselves. They were happy to see it was already done. Though I do understand there are some folks out there who never used bolts there in the past, so feel they are unnecessary. I feel that at a crag with as much traffic as Red Rocks, they serve a valuable purpose.
As for the newly bolted lines, if one looked closer they would see that the first bolts (just the hangers) were actually stolen, so in fact there was no single bolt death line. I'm not sure how long after the bolts were put in this happened, but I guess it was less than a week. I did meet the party involved in removing them, he said he was "making a statement about preserving the original nature of the crag."
I have mixed feelings on this sentiment. I can see some would want to hold on to the original nature of a climb/ climbing area. My contention to this is if a) there is no written history available for the masses to know what has been lead in the past and by who and b) the first non-TR ascent was done on dodgy or no gear! At a crag like Red Rocks, which is typically a training ground for newcomers to the sport and recreational climbers, I doubt there are a lot of people who would still want to lead a 30 foot 5.10+ on 2 RPs! An old forgotten line which only receives an occasional TR could be better suited with bolts to spread out congestion and improve the over-all usability of the crag. I do believe, however that when details about the first ascentionist are available, permission should be sought before bolts are added to the actual climb (TR anchors are different as that they don't affect the nature of the climb as much).
As for trees being cut... there isn't a crag in New England that hasn't had a few trees cut down around it (including Red Rock, on many previous occasions) to make access to climbs better and/ or allowing them to dry quicker and stay cleaner. Furthermore, it seems most of the trees that were cut were already dead. I suppose it is all about perception and personal beliefs but I think the work done up there benefited all users of the crag as a whole.
Perhaps in the future, to avoid similar communication issues, a North Shore climbing group could be formed... something like the W. Mass Climbing Coalition? It would not only be a good way to reach real consensus on crag renovations/ restorations but also for maintaining access to areas and working to open/ re-open other areas?

blueeyedclimber

Aug 26, 2009, 1:56 PM
Post #21998 of 22774 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mnatti wrote:
Ahhh.... consulting the "community." It's funny that gets brought up. Who actually is the community?
In that case, I think I'll go bolt the Gunks.

In reply to:
Aren't we all, as users of the crag, the community? I have been climbing at Red Rocks for over 15 years and I've lived in or around Gloucester most of my life.
That absolutely makes you part of the community, but does that mean you can do whatever you want?

In reply to:
I think the recent modifications at the crag are a big improvement and from what I've over heard most people saying at the crag in the past couple of weeks, the masses agree.
Who are these masses? Summer camps? n00bs who don't know who to set up topropes without bolts?

In reply to:
Over the years, most folks I've talked to up there (the community?) have repeated a concern for the health of the trees at the tops of the crag, a desire to be able to lead more lines (both by having top anchors to rap off and having/ replacing bolts on current TR lines) as well as having TR set-ups that don't require 40 foot slings.
Out of all that, the only legitimate concern is the health of the trees.

In reply to:
Sadly, the question of bolts at Red Rock has a long, checkered history but it seems to me that the ones against them are actually in the minority.

I am not against bolts, but I do believe that every effort should be taken to make sure it's the right thing to do, whether that be contacting area locals (not summer camp leaders, which I actually am one, but actual local climbers), contacting FAists if possible and known. A lot of times climbs are just fine as topropes, especially at a crag that a majority of the climbers are going to do just that.

In reply to:
This weekend I was talking to a group from Boston's AMC while they were using some of the new bolts. They were saying that until that day, there had been discussions with the club to put new anchors in themselves. They were happy to see it was already done. Though I do understand there are some folks out there who never used bolts there in the past, so feel they are unnecessary. I feel that at a crag with as much traffic as Red Rocks, they serve a valuable purpose.
fair enough.
In reply to:
As for the newly bolted lines, if one looked closer they would see that the first bolts (just the hangers) were actually stolen, so in fact there was no single bolt death line. I'm not sure how long after the bolts were put in this happened, but I guess it was less than a week. I did meet the party involved in removing them, he said he was "making a statement about preserving the original nature of the crag."

I would like to state for the record that it wasn't me. Tongue

In reply to:
I have mixed feelings on this sentiment. I can see some would want to hold on to the original nature of a climb/ climbing area.

Look, I don't believe in bolt chopping, either.....ever! Which is why I believe that there needs to be a process before bolts go in. I was under the impression (which could be wrong) that no such effort was made.

In reply to:
My contention to this is if a) there is no written history available for the masses to know what has been lead in the past and by who and b) the first non-TR ascent was done on dodgy or no gear! At a crag like Red Rocks, which is typically a training ground for newcomers to the sport and recreational climbers, I doubt there are a lot of people who would still want to lead a 30 foot 5.10+ on 2 RPs! An old forgotten line which only receives an occasional TR could be better suited with bolts to spread out congestion and improve the over-all usability of the crag.

How much more traffic do you really expect that to generate. Red Rocks is mainly a beginners crag and a nice place for locals to go after work. It is NOT a destination crag. I am certainly not going to go out of my way to go climb these newly bolted routes.

In reply to:
I do believe, however that when details about the first ascentionist are available, permission should be sought before bolts are added to the actual climb (TR anchors are different as that they don't affect the nature of the climb as much).
So we are in agreement here. Was an effort made?

In reply to:
As for trees being cut... there isn't a crag in New England that hasn't had a few trees cut down around it (including Red Rock, on many previous occasions) to make access to climbs better and/ or allowing them to dry quicker and stay cleaner. Furthermore, it seems most of the trees that were cut were already dead. I suppose it is all about perception and personal beliefs but I think the work done up there benefited all users of the crag as a whole.
Perhaps in the future, to avoid similar communication issues, a North Shore climbing group could be formed... something like the W. Mass Climbing Coalition? It would not only be a good way to reach real consensus on crag renovations/ restorations but also for maintaining access to areas and working to open/ re-open other areas?

Ok. Agreed here. If the trees were in fact dead, then that's fine. And I realize that intense cleaning goes on at every crag, but there is a fine line between preserving the environment and catering to the selfish needs of a climber. I am not saying that line was crossed, just questioning it.

Cheers, Josh

wonderwoman

Aug 26, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #21999 of 22774 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just curious, but were you the person that put up the bolts?

mnatti wrote:
As for trees being cut... there isn't a crag in New England that hasn't had a few trees cut down around it (including Red Rock, on many previous occasions) to make access to climbs better and/ or allowing them to dry quicker and stay cleaner.

What makes it okay for someone to decide to cut down the trees in a place where bolts have a history of being immediately removed? I remember years back someone placed bolts there that were immediately chopped. Seems to me that this practice is going to make for a worse climbing experience at Red Rocks.

mnatti wrote:
Furthermore, it seems most of the trees that were cut were already dead.

I'd feel a lot better if all of the cut trees were dead! Now we're short on bolts and trees. Who wins here?

pbgill

Aug 27, 2009, 5:05 PM
Post #22000 of 22774 (5972 views)
Shortcut

The MASS CLIMBERS thread - WMCC Climbers Rendezvous - Sept 26th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On Saturday, September 26 join us in Wendell State Forest, in Wendell, MA for our biggest fundraiser yet!

It's a day long celebration featuring food, crag tours (Farley - Mormon - Rose Ledge), gear raffles, climbing competitions, REEL ROCK Tour film, top rope climbing at Rose Ledge, on site kid climbing, clinics and more!

Free parking and camping available all in beautiful Wendell State Forest.

Tickets: $20 in advance - $25 Day of event

More info here: http://www.westernmacc.com/index.htm

First page Previous page 1 ... 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook