Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

quiteatingmysteak

Aug 13, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #76 of 104 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
quiteatingmysteak wrote:
marc801 wrote:
quiteatingmysteak wrote:
This may sound crazy, but maybe, just maybe, the people using a single slot belay device know that its a single slot. Its a new idea, its fun, kinda hokey but whatever, it works and some people probably swear by it.
No, it isn't a new idea. About 40+ years old, actually. Before the Sticht Plate, some climbers used a single link of 3/8" chain.

THANKS

I WILL MAKE SURE TO AMEND MY FUTURE STATEMENTS TO REFLECT THE TWO GUYZ THAT USED CHAINLINKZ

MUCH CARE/LOVE
GREGARIUS
Quit being an ass. The Sticht Plate was also a single slot device and was the standard belay device for years. And a hell of a lot more than two guys used the chain links.

If you're going to comment on climbing history, at least get it right.

homey i dont know what crawled up your hex and died but what do you expect when you nitpick like a high school math teacher?

I'll show my work and not just the answers from here on out, I promise!!11

This is a minor blip in the radar of climbing history. I know my climbing history, real history. White spider shit and stories from way back when before you were a curmudgeon. Don't try to pigeonhole me in with other young guys who don't know what they are talking about.

I'm gonna have another beer, enjoy your internet nazi'sm. I'm sure its appreciated.

Angelic

quiteatingmysteak

Aug 13, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #77 of 104 (3207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

And put your real name up on your profile coward. Who the fuck are you?

(and the reference to the 'new idea' was the auto braking Smart device... but whatever slice Crazy)

(This post was edited by quiteatingmysteak on Aug 13, 2009, 5:10 AM)

bill413

Aug 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #78 of 104 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
marc801 wrote:
quiteatingmysteak wrote:
marc801 wrote:
quiteatingmysteak wrote:
This may sound crazy, but maybe, just maybe, the people using a single slot belay device know that its a single slot. Its a new idea, its fun, kinda hokey but whatever, it works and some people probably swear by it.
No, it isn't a new idea. About 40+ years old, actually. Before the Sticht Plate, some climbers used a single link of 3/8" chain.

THANKS

I WILL MAKE SURE TO AMEND MY FUTURE STATEMENTS TO REFLECT THE TWO GUYZ THAT USED CHAINLINKZ

MUCH CARE/LOVE
GREGARIUS
Quit being an ass. The Sticht Plate was also a single slot device and was the standard belay device for years. And a hell of a lot more than two guys used the chain links.

If you're going to comment on climbing history, at least get it right.

homey i dont know what crawled up your hex and died but what do you expect when you nitpick like a high school math teacher?

I'll show my work and not just the answers from here on out, I promise!!11

This is a minor blip in the radar of climbing history. I know my climbing history, real history. White spider shit and stories from way back when before you were a curmudgeon. Don't try to pigeonhole me in with other young guys who don't know what they are talking about.

I'm gonna have another beer, enjoy your internet nazi'sm. I'm sure its appreciated.

Angelic

Sure seemed pretty touchy to me, when you started "shouting.
And, showing your work? In this case, would that be citing the books you scoured? Or the crags you saw this being done at (or not being done at, and extrapolating from there in that case?)

I've read some of the stories from way back also. That doesn't make me an expert on the history of climbing. I happen to know some pieces of it however.

shoo

Aug 13, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #79 of 104 (3151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop hijacking my thread, and get back to the topic at hand?

Mad Lock - Mad Rock

There was a reason Petzl discontinued this design. Though some may appreciate the versatility of a belay device that can magically turn into a knife, I think I'll stay away. And what's with this removable pin crap? I say hell no to the frankenreverso.

acorneau

Aug 13, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #80 of 104 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very similar design to the Reflex offered by Fixe (although I don't know who really makes it):
[edit: made by "Raveltik"]

In reply to:
Belay device for single or double ropes. With 2 allen keys it is possible to change the diameter, so it can be used with thinner ropes (always from 7.5 to 11mm)

http://www.fixeclimbing.com/...&id_producto=509

(This post was edited by acorneau on Aug 13, 2009, 3:05 PM)

bill413

Aug 13, 2009, 3:36 PM
Post #81 of 104 (3128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Stop hijacking my thread, and get back to the topic at hand?

Mad Lock - Mad Rock

There was a reason Petzl discontinued this design. Though some may appreciate the versatility of a belay device that can magically turn into a knife, I think I'll stay away. And what's with this removable pin crap? I say hell no to the frankenreverso.

Yeah - I looked at that when it was announced & decided I didn't want anything looking like that down in the area where belay devices are attached to the harness. And not for fear about the harness.

shoo

Aug 13, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #82 of 104 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. Added to the first page list.

qwert

Aug 16, 2009, 9:57 AM
Post #83 of 104 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But the raveltik/ fixe version sounds like a good idea. Only you have to decide before you go on your climbing trip what kind of ropes you are going to use. If you are playing around with allen keys and stuff while at the crag youre probably going to loose them.

But all these devices show one problem we are facing today: The range of ropes used is too wide!
There are still places/ situations where 10.5 or even 11mm is a good choice, whereas on the other hand we are using sub 8mm doubles (or sub 9mm singles). so its either stick to one rope type, or carry multiple devices. (or try to reinvent the wheel, err ... belay device)

qwert

shoo

Aug 17, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #84 of 104 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
But all these devices show one problem we are facing today: The range of ropes used is too wide!
There are still places/ situations where 10.5 or even 11mm is a good choice, whereas on the other hand we are using sub 8mm doubles (or sub 9mm singles). so its either stick to one rope type, or carry multiple devices. (or try to reinvent the wheel, err ... belay device)

qwert

I disagree entirely. There are several very practical belay devices with advanced features out there that have shown to be very effective over a large range of ropes. The ATC-Guide and Reverso3 come immediately to mind.

The problem with the two devices I listed that attempt to solve the multiple rope sizes issue is not that the issue is impossible to address practically. It is clearly possible. These are simply bad solutions.

petsfed

Aug 17, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #85 of 104 (2904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was frickin' bummed when I lost my pyramid. It was one of the few devices that had a "high friction mode" that didn't involve specifically ignoring all of the manufacturer diagrams. Plus, those cooling fins worked! Do a 200 foot rappel on dual 10.5s with a full pack, you'll notice the heat. If you have to do another after that, you want the device cool enough to use by the time you've pulled the ropes and threaded the next anchor.

As far the ATC Sport, its a tool for a job. If you're not doing the job its designed for, you clearly don't need the tool. If all I did was climb in the gym, it would be a worthwhile investment.

With the bionic 8, again, if you're not doing the job the tool is meant for, you clearly don't need it. And just because you deride the practitioners of a sport doesn't mean it is bad business for Mammut to cater to them. Would you rather that sport rappelers all use ATCs so we can't tell them apart? Or perhaps that canyoneers and cavers not have the option to go lighter with their equipment?

No argument on the Mad Lock though. Just like the 1st and 2nd generation reverso before it, that idea sucked balls.

acer73

Aug 19, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #86 of 104 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swaghole] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swaghole wrote:
Wild Country VC Pro. Worst ever modern belay device. I bought while waiting for the reverso 3 to be available (and I'm a gear whore). I thought it would work well since it looked like the BD ATC XP and it was cheaper. I returned it to the store the next day.

[image]http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/imgs/3791i2783.jpg[/image]

I use belay device and it works flawlessly, my only complaint would be that the keeper cable needs to be a little beefier since i already nicked it.

Some one said that the teeth don't make a difference. Maybe they work best on a 10.2 rope, there is defiantly a difference in holding power compared to the rounded side. In fact i can't use the teeth while rappelling because I have to feed in rope to descend.

Also the $12 dollars i paid for it instead of $25 for the ATC-X was also nice.

robbovius

Aug 19, 2009, 3:49 PM
Post #87 of 104 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
This Faders device is amoung the worst around. On fatter ropes at least belay is horrible.

Stich plates are better. Or better yet for those on a budget go the ALDI device!
http://www.aldi.com.au/...offers/2827_9045.htm
LOL!

I got one of those as a freebie from ACME climbing when I ordered a pair of shoes, way back in '03. yeah on any 10+mm rope it sucks major ass and feeds like the devils own shit. works the bomb on my 9.4 petzls tho.

(This post was edited by robbovius on Aug 19, 2009, 4:01 PM)

Partner robdotcalm

Aug 24, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #88 of 104 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maldaly may have some comments on this, but as I recall it was Craig Luebben who first came up with the idea of putting flanges on a rappel device to dissipate heat. I had discussions with him as he developed the idea, which ultimately became the Pyramid.

At that time, there had a been some rappelling accidents reported ANAM where the rappel device had heated up (in the sun, heavy loads, etc.) causing a decrease in the friction of the rope in the device and the climber losing control of the descent.

Qualitatively, the flanges do increase heat dissipation. The question, Is this quantitatively significant? And that's not so easy to answer.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

petsfed

Aug 24, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #89 of 104 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
Maldaly may have some comments on this, but as I recall it was Craig Luebben who first came up with the idea of putting flanges on a rappel device to dissipate heat. I had discussions with him as he developed the idea, which ultimately became the Pyramid.

At that time, there had a been some rappelling accidents reported ANAM where the rappel device had heated up (in the sun, heavy loads, etc.) causing a decrease in the friction of the rope in the device and the climber losing control of the descent.

Qualitatively, the flanges do increase heat dissipation. The question, Is this quantitatively significant? And that's not so easy to answer.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

It wouldn't be that difficult to test, although creating a control might be harder to accomplish. I mean, heat dissipation (or absorption) is a function of both surface area and total mass. As you increase surface area, dissipation increases, as you increase mass, dissipation decreases. So the question is, which dominates in that scenario?

The more mass there is, the more energy it takes to heat it up (or to simplify the argument later, the longer it must be exposed to a heat source). However, the more mass there is, the longer it will take to cool. Similarly, the more surface area there is for cooling, the less time it will take to cool. Unfortunately, surface area isn't free. To clarify what Rob points out, those flanges add mass, so they increase the cooling time. But they also add surface area, so they decrease the cooling time. So does the additional surface area offset the additional mass. And I don't know that. It would be worthwhile to build a belay device (for testing purposes) with the same mass as the pyramid, but with a minimized exterior surface area, and compare the cooling times of the two after identical rappelling/lowering simulations.

shockabuku

Aug 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #90 of 104 (2645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
It would be worthwhile to build a belay device (for testing purposes) with the same mass as the pyramid, but with a minimized exterior surface area, and compare the cooling times of the two after identical rappelling/lowering simulations.

Why? I could see building one of the same core size (minus the cooling fins) to see what difference was incurred.

petsfed

Aug 24, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #91 of 104 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
petsfed wrote:
It would be worthwhile to build a belay device (for testing purposes) with the same mass as the pyramid, but with a minimized exterior surface area, and compare the cooling times of the two after identical rappelling/lowering simulations.

Why? I could see building one of the same core size (minus the cooling fins) to see what difference was incurred.

Because the point is to test the overall effectiveness of the cooling fins, not just the theoretical effectiveness of the cooling fins. We want to know if the increased rate of cooling due to the added surface area of the fins is sufficiently large to offset the resistance to cooling caused by the additional mass. The only way to control for that is to create a belay device of identical mass but that minimizes the surface area. Otherwise, you'll introduce unequal heating rates as well, and your eventual data will be worthless. Basically, a pyramid without the added mass of the fins will heat faster, so we'd have a higher max temperature for the exact same rappel.

patto

Aug 25, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #92 of 104 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Because the point is to test the overall effectiveness of the cooling fins, not just the theoretical effectiveness of the cooling fins. We want to know if the increased rate of cooling due to the added surface area of the fins is sufficiently large to offset the resistance to cooling caused by the additional mass. The only way to control for that is to create a belay device of identical mass but that minimizes the surface area. Otherwise, you'll introduce unequal heating rates as well, and your eventual data will be worthless. Basically, a pyramid without the added mass of the fins will heat faster, so we'd have a higher max temperature for the exact same rappel.

You cleary have little understanding of the physics involved here. Increased mass will always result in a lower peak temperature achieved. Increased surface area will always increase the rate of cooling and thus lower peak temperature.

I think you'd find that the vast majority of the heat removed in a long rappell is through the rope. Given the energy levels involved, the low mass of the device and the short period of time your device woul be guaranteed to overheat if most of the heat ended up in it and it relied on air cooling.

I can do the calculations for a fast 50m rappel:
80kg * 9.8m/s/s * 50m = 39200J
39200J / 50g / .9J/gK = 871K
So your belay device would increase in temperature by 871C as you descend 50m. (when heat losses aren't considered and all energy ends up in the device)

Instead most of the heat energy ends up spread over 50m of the rope. Sure some is lost on air cooling the device but it would be fairly low on a quick rappel.

(This post was edited by patto on Aug 25, 2009, 1:10 AM)

Carnage

Aug 25, 2009, 1:06 AM
Post #93 of 104 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:

80kg * 9.8 * 50m = 39200
39200 / 50g / .9(J/gK) = 871K

thats a fast rappel

patto

Aug 25, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #94 of 104 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Worst modern belay devices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
patto wrote:

80kg * 9.8 * 50m = 39200
39200 / 50g / .9(J/gK) = 871K

thats a fast rappel

The calculations don't assume a rappel speed. Though for slower rappels obviously there is more time for the belay device to cool.

petsfed

Aug 25, 2009, 1:42 AM
Post #95 of 104 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
You cleary have little understanding of the physics involved here. Increased mass will always result in a lower peak temperature achieved. Increased surface area will always increase the rate of cooling and thus lower peak temperature.

Lemme make sure I understand your argument here:

By increasing the mass, we decrease the maximum temperature achieved.

WHICH IS PRECISELY WHAT I SAID IF YOU'D BOTHERED TO READ IT.

I said that we can't simply compare a pyramid with fins to a pyramid without fins since a pyramid that simply lacks fins will have lower mass.

And again, the issue is not of overall heat in the system, it is heat that remains in the device.

And ANYBODY who says that a rappel device shouldn't heat up that much has NEVER done a 60m rappel on dual 10.5mm ropes, much less a fast rappel.

Should I write out the energy in/energy out equations so you can see why a fast rappel would heat up the device faster than a slow rappel? Or can you work that out yourself?

Edit: because this really pisses me off.

Heat capacity is a measure of how much energy, per gram, it takes to heat a given material a single degree Kelvin. I'm not fucking stupid, I just doubted that our audience would necessarily know what I meant when I said that. So it should be pretty apparent that, all else being equal, a higher mass object will cool or heat slower than a lower mass object. But all else is NOT equal here. We're fiddling with the surface area AND the mass. So simple experimental design says that we should keep the mass constant to isolate the variable we are testing for, namely cooling due to increased surface area. Otherwise, how could we show that the device is or isn't cooling faster due to the fins, rather than due to the fact that the cooling and heating rates are also dependent on the temperature differential between source and sink?

(This post was edited by petsfed on Aug 25, 2009, 1:59 AM)

patto

Aug 25, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #96 of 104 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alternatively lets try to figure out the percentage of heat that is lost via air cooling of the belay device.

I'll assume 50W/m^2K for the cooling rate in air.
Exposed surface area of ATC ~ 36cm^2 or 0.0036m^2
Temperature difference ~ 50K
Time of rappell 30s

50W/m^2K *0.0036m^2 * 50K *30s = 270J

So in the time it takes to rappel the device has lost to air only 270J out of a total 39200J! Wow. I am surprised that it is that low.

Doubling the surface area with fins is unlikely to make much difference. Estimated 6C difference. Little point in the scheme of things.

It is likely that when rappelling:
A. A low percentage of energy ends up transferred to the belay device.
B. The belay device loses most of its heat through conduction with rope.
C. A very low percentage of heat is lost via air cooling.

(discussion has not included the energy dissapated via belay carabiner, similar calculations in similar degree of magnitude can apply to the carabiner)

The conclusion is that cooling fins on belay devices are next to useless. If you are overheating belay devices the slow down!

(please feel free to point out any mathematical flaws)

climbdork

Aug 25, 2009, 2:00 AM
Post #97 of 104 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

9.8m/s^2 is free fall, not a "fast rappel."

patto

Aug 25, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #98 of 104 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Lemme make sure I understand your argument here:

By increasing the mass, we decrease the maximum temperature achieved.

WHICH IS PRECISELY WHAT I SAID IF YOU'D BOTHERED TO READ IT.

I said that we can't simply compare a pyramid with fins to a pyramid without fins since a pyramid that simply lacks fins will have lower mass.

And again, the issue is not of overall heat in the system, it is heat that remains in the device.

And ANYBODY who says that a rappel device shouldn't heat up that much has NEVER done a 60m rappel on dual 10.5mm ropes, much less a fast rappel.

Should I write out the energy in/energy out equations so you can see why a fast rappel would heat up the device faster than a slow rappel? Or can you work that out yourself?

Calm down and take one of your happy pills petsfed.

You said "We want to know if the increased rate of cooling due to the added surface area of the fins is sufficiently large to offset the resistance to cooling caused by the additional mass."

This is completely false thinking. 'Resistance to cooling cause by additional mass' is not an issue.

Either way the rest of my calculations weren't directed towards you. I did it as an exercise out of interest.

climbdork wrote:
In reply to:

9.8m/s^2 is free fall, not a "fast rappel."
I'm calculating the potential energy dude. U=mgh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_energy

(This post was edited by patto on Aug 25, 2009, 2:08 AM)

petsfed

Aug 25, 2009, 2:11 AM
Post #99 of 104 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well, for one, 30s for 165 feet is pretty bleedin' fast. I'd burn out a pair of gloves doing that.

Still, it'd take a lot of time to have a major impact if the only time that the device was cooling was when it was on the rope. And furthermore, the question is not "does the device dissipate the heat put into the system?" but rather, "does it effectively dissipate the heat input into the device?"

Your second calculation is meaningless because you ignore the most useful part of your first post, that the rope is the primary sink in the system.

I actually wouldn't be that surprised if 300J was the difference between melting a sheath and not melting a sheath since there's a much larger amount of rope mass to deal with the rest.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Aug 25, 2009, 2:13 AM)

patto

Aug 25, 2009, 2:32 AM
Post #100 of 104 (2514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Well, for one, 30s for 165 feet is pretty bleedin' fast. I'd burn out a pair of gloves doing that.
Yes it is fast. If you want you can double the speed so we get 540J. Still bloody low.

petsfed wrote:
Still, it'd take a lot of time to have a major impact if the only time that the device was cooling was when it was on the rope.
No it wouldn't. Conduction between solids transfers heat much faster that air (air is an excellend insulator). Since the rope is moving you have new cooler surfaces in contact all the time.

petsfed wrote:
And furthermore, the question is not "does the device dissipate the heat put into the system?" but rather, "does it effectively dissipate the heat input into the device?"

Your second calculation is meaningless because you ignore the most useful part of your first post, that the rope is the primary sink in the system.
No the second calculation is not meaningless because it lets us understand the magnitude of the cooling due to air.

petsfed wrote:
I actually wouldn't be that surprised if 300J was the difference between melting a sheath and not melting a sheath since there's a much larger amount of rope mass to deal with the rest.
As I have said. 300J is 6.6C differnce. I would be VERY surprised if that becomes the difference between melteing sheath and not melting a sheath. If your 6.6C away from melting your sheath when you rappel you are doing something wrong!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook