Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

gosharks

Mar 8, 2011, 1:21 AM
Post #103 of 509 (5285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I was eating 80% veggi food and 20% meat for 6 years but then I dates this nutritionist doctor who said hardcore veggi eaters will suffer in long term so she suggested that I shoud start eating high quality meat (vs cheap meat) in addition to veggies to stay healthy.
So, without getting into organics, what is "high quality meat?"

it had to do what animals eat so buying beef that only eats corn and other cheap substitute is not the same as a cow eating high nutrition grass found in nature. Same thing applies to fish grown in fish farms vs fish in the river or the ones in ocean. I also noticed that high quality veggies last longer in the frig vs cheap ones. When I buy stuff off trader joes, they have a tendency to last longer vs same product I buy off Safeway.
That stuff all sounds better, but is there evidence that shows that the product that ends up in our stomachs is actually healthier? Honest question, not trying to stir anything up.

robx

Mar 8, 2011, 1:30 AM
Post #104 of 509 (5276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
robx wrote:
I don't really want to read this whole thread, but my personal thoughts are...
I feel like as a society we've moved past the point where killing animals is necessary in keeping us healthy and alive. If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me.
I really really REALLY don't care about how much healthier someone that eats meat is going to be than me, because for me it's completely a moral issue.
I haven't consumed animal products in 5 years, and I'm doing fine. Is there a chance I'm less healthy than someone who is very aware of their diet? probably. But compared to most fast-food eating americans, I think I'm doing just fine.

Since you're taking the moral high ground, I suspect you are fully aware that the industrial monoculture crop fields that you are reliant upon has done a hum-dinger on the ecology that the animals you're trying to protect rely upon. Similarly, I am sure you are aware that habitat disruption from crop agriculture is a major cause of animal suffering and population declines. Since you're keenly aware of these things, I am also sure that all of your vegetables come from a home garden where not a single gnat is harmed. Or are only sentient animals bad to kill on your moral hilltop?

To me it's not about being perfect. Yes a few gnats die. And yeah, the bike tubes I have might possibly be lined with some small animal product. and the wires in computers have some insane animal product. But if I can do my best to abstain from killing or hurting animals then I'm happy.

and yes, I understand the negative impact that over farming causes, but it's hard to find alternatives, and to me it really is more about doing the best you can, not being perfect.

robx

Mar 8, 2011, 1:33 AM
Post #105 of 509 (5270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
TarHeelEMT wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I've been nearly vegan for over a month now. I say 'nearly' because I am allowing myself to have the eggs from our local farm share. I am doing my best to not participate in industrial agriculture. It's not sustainable & it makes us sick.

Here are changes that I've noticed so far:

I need to drink more water.
I have more energy.
I feel more awake in general.
I am happier.
I can't drink as much beer.
My stomach aches are gone.

That being said, it wasn't a hard jump for me because the only animal based food that I had been eating before had been dairy.

Placebo is a hell of a drug.

Wouldn't that be un-placebo? Since nothing has taken it's place? Wink I just cut the dairy out.

Hahaha, good question. I'm not sure what I'd call this in a study.

I was vegetarian for a long time before I was vegan, and I definitely noticed that I felt healthier once I cut out dairy.
I'm also pretty sure I was getting messed up stomach stuff because of cheese. I was young when I went vegetarian and I replaced a lot of meat with more cheese. Made me really sick

robx

Mar 8, 2011, 1:36 AM
Post #106 of 509 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also I don't feel like I have more or less energy than my friends that eat meat. I agree with the placebo (or anti-placebo) point of view I guess.
I don't live a particularly healthy life either, so maybe I should start doing that.

majid_sabet

Mar 8, 2011, 1:37 AM
Post #107 of 509 (5264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I was eating 80% veggi food and 20% meat for 6 years but then I dates this nutritionist doctor who said hardcore veggi eaters will suffer in long term so she suggested that I shoud start eating high quality meat (vs cheap meat) in addition to veggies to stay healthy.

it had to do what animals eat so buying beef that only eats corn and other cheap substitute is not the same as a cow eating high nutrition grass found in nature. Same thing applies to fish grown in fish farms vs fish in the river or the ones in ocean. I also noticed that high quality veggies last longer in the frig vs cheap ones. When I buy stuff off trader joes, they have a tendency to last longer vs same product I buy off Safeway.
That stuff all sounds better, but is there evidence that shows that the product that ends up in our stomachs is actually healthier? Honest question, not trying to stir anything up.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 8, 2011, 7:07 PM)

Partner macherry

Mar 8, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #108 of 509 (5255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
robx wrote:
I feel like as a society we've moved past the point where killing animals is necessary in keeping us healthy and alive. If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me.
I really really REALLY don't care about how much healthier someone that eats meat is going to be than me, because for me it's completely a moral issue.
I haven't consumed animal products in 5 years, and I'm doing fine. Is there a chance I'm less healthy than someone who is very aware of their diet? probably. But compared to most fast-food eating americans, I think I'm doing just fine.

Since you're taking the moral high ground, I suspect you are fully aware that the industrial monoculture crop fields that you are reliant upon has done a hum-dinger on the ecology that the animals you're trying to protect rely upon. Similarly, I am sure you are aware that habitat disruption from crop agriculture is a major cause of animal suffering and population declines. Since you're keenly aware of these things, I am also sure that all of your vegetables come from a home garden where not a single gnat is harmed. Or are only sentient animals bad to kill on your moral hilltop?

To me it's not about being perfect. Yes a few gnats die. And yeah, the bike tubes I have might possibly be lined with some small animal product. and the wires in computers have some insane animal product. But if I can do my best to abstain from killing or hurting animals then I'm happy.

and yes, I understand the negative impact that over farming causes, but it's hard to find alternatives, and to me it really is more about doing the best you can, not being perfect.

great, you're not perfect, thanks. so drop the holier than thou, i am vegetarianand i'm saving the world act.

i have nothing against vegans and vegetarians, hell my daughter's a vegan, but there's nothing worse that a vegetarian that spurts the i'm not eating animals, so i can ride my high horse through the streets. you do nothing for the cause.............see PETA

marc801

Mar 8, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #109 of 509 (5253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
So you think your thoughts are far more important than those of anyone else. Then why should we take you seriously?

robx wrote:
You don't give a shit about what anyone has said for 4 pages, so we don't give a shit about your moral high ground. Meat tastes good. *Really* good. We raise animals specifically for food. We're at the top of the food chain, so we can do it. Tough shit. Go whine about it somewhere else.

robx wrote:
We're not necessarily healthier, but we sure seem happier and less conflicted.

aprice00

Mar 8, 2011, 2:12 AM
Post #110 of 509 (5236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

try to veggie food for a day and you see you will end up dumping more often so yes, the stomach works better with veggie but you also need to add high protein food to help the cells grow and veggie by itself can not do that and substitute vitamin pills can not help either. not in long term.

All your cells are grow real strong.

(This post was edited by aprice00 on Mar 8, 2011, 2:22 AM)

aprice00

Mar 8, 2011, 2:17 AM
Post #111 of 509 (5229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
We raise animals specifically for food. We're at the top of the food chain, so we can do it. Tough shit.
Anyone need a new Sig? bahahaaha

kachoong

Mar 8, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #112 of 509 (5214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

gosharks wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I was eating 80% veggi food and 20% meat for 6 years but then I dates this nutritionist doctor who said hardcore veggi eaters will suffer in long term so she suggested that I shoud start eating high quality meat (vs cheap meat) in addition to veggies to stay healthy./quote]

Cheesetits give me gas.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 8, 2011, 2:35 AM
Post #113 of 509 (5210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
The diet and cleanliness are independent factors. The recent regulations were more of an impact to smaller operations than larger ones. It is the larger companies that can afford to find out if there is a pathogen, smaller operations only hope they don't have a problem and have no traceability.

While this may be true (that larger companies can afford testing), unfortunately that has not worked so well in the past, whether speaking of meat or veggies. If you have a small-scale operation in which the chances of contamination are orders of magnitude lower, the need for testing is reduced dramatically.

Essentially, if you have shit in the food (veiled nicely as E. Coli or coliform), you need to find it. If your operation is meticulous enough to keep it out of the food, what exactly would one be testing for? If one must irradiate the food to make it safe, one must test that equipment. Why not instead clean machines after each animal or vegetable run?

That is the fundamental problem with industrial farming. When throughput takes a higher priority than food quality and safety, we have issues. Most of this, of course, would go away if public viewing of the processing facilities was permissible and seed companies (or seed company?) were not true monopolies that trade CEOs with the USDA.

The risk for larger companies is in a larger impact. I have seen no studies on size and the relationship to cleanliness of butchery. I've seen small back room butchers that were far sloppier with sanitation than some mega producers. The difference is that now we can track the bug back with it's DNA footprint. A small operation doesn't have enough people get sick to be able to trace the bugs back to them. It doesn't mean they have a lower percent get sick, just fewer people.

The same profit margin pressure that tempts big companies exists for smaller ones as well, profits vs safety vs quality isn't exclusive to food or big ag.

Me neither. This is because of a few reasons:
1. It is considered slander in a U.S. court of law to speak against either large seed or large animal industries (e.g. the Oprah fiasco, McLibel cases, Monsanto vs. everyone...)
2. It is not possible for the general public to view the butchering floor of an industrial meat processing facility. It is not possible for the general public to view inside of an industrial poultry house (even researchers with whom I work have signed disclosure clauses when measuring ambient levels of ammonia). They are not allowed to report locations of any of their test sites (mandated by the USDA).
3. The suits in the USDA are often employees of the industrial companies they are regulating. Incidentally, the USDA has no authority over processing guidelines and plant development.

My question to you: Which "mega" processing facilities have you personally walked through (every level and every floor) that you are comparing the small butcher to?

Yup, every level, every floor. From front to back (the only way you can go). Grow out houses (not the same day), and hatcheries (wing sexing facility, not butt sexing). Never got to see the turkey facilities, but heard good stories about Tom days. And a quick look at my profile should answer your question.

And I linked up thread an article where the mega food companies lost in congress.

And where in the scale of mega corps would you put American Peanut?

kachoong

Mar 8, 2011, 3:40 AM
Post #114 of 509 (5181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
jt512 wrote:
saint_john wrote:
In reply to:
A serving of McDonald's oatmeal (with cream and sugar) contains 290 calories - a McDonald's cheeseburger contains....300.

There are numerous other examples.

thats a good point. getting the required amount of protein from a veg diet means that you're also consuming tons of carbs.
example: a sugar-free peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread can have 20 grams of protein but also has almost 500 calories.
3 large eggs have 20 grams of protein at around 220 calories.
in other words, if you're going vegan prepare to do a lot of cardio

You don't know what you're talking about. Vegans on average are leaner than either omnivores or ovo-lacto-vegetarians.

Jay

Simmer down Jay. My point was that with a veg diet, protein and carbs go hand in hand as opposed to meat wich is protein without carbs.

of course vegans are leaner on average than omnivores. the average vegan is an extremely health conscious person. the average omnivore doesn't give a fuck.

But think of all those poor guys dating vegan chicks who don't swallow. That's gotta suck!

furgie

Mar 8, 2011, 4:07 AM
Post #115 of 509 (5167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bah just more evoligion (evolution religion) show me some hard evidence that I came from apes istead of forcing your unproven theories down my throat...Crazy

marc801

Mar 8, 2011, 6:32 AM
Post #116 of 509 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [furgie] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

furgie wrote:
bah just more evoligion (evolution religion) show me some hard evidence that I came from apes istead of forcing your unproven theories down my throat...Crazy
Wow. Just wow.
Quoted for posterity.

enigma

Mar 8, 2011, 6:40 AM
Post #117 of 509 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I've been nearly vegan for over a month now. I say 'nearly' because I am allowing myself to have the eggs from our local farm share. I am doing my best to not participate in industrial agriculture. It's not sustainable & it makes us sick.

I have more energy.
I am happier.

That being said, it wasn't a hard jump for me because the only animal based food that I had been eating before had been dairy.

I stopped eating meat and chicken 8 years ago. I found I was unable to digest it well.
Even when I would have good steak , I got a terribly nauseous.
Then I drove across the country and stopped in Nebraska, someone said do you know why our angus beef is so good? I said no. He said look at the cows, they are so happy we don't lock them up and they eat grass all day.
I stopped and looked at those cows, and indeed they looked happy, with their large brown eyes spending their days on the grass.
I tried to taste this angus beef, but I couldn't anymore. I felt for those cows, like the short story a "mothers tale".
However I continued to have fish, and eggs about once per week. Feeling concerned it would be difficult to have enough protein otherwise. I do drink organic hemp protein drinks.
Recently in the last month, I started to get sick to my stomach from eggs. Then I couldn't digest fish and also felt queasy.
So for now I'm not eating fish or eggs and dairy I rarely have.
Outside my window every morning their are little birds on the branches pecking and they look so happy and beautiful. How could I eat a bird.

Thanks for all the great comments.Smile

So anyone reach a conclusion ? I presume we would have to have many sets of identical twins and give them different diets and see which climbs better

So I was wondering has anyone read the blood type diet and feel that certain foods are better for the various blood types. A, B ,O , AB and their diet that goes along with that book?

(This post was edited by enigma on Mar 8, 2011, 6:42 AM)

Rufsen

Mar 8, 2011, 7:42 AM
Post #118 of 509 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
True. But only in Norway, where they are regulating the amount of those toxins in the FEED.

http://www.thefishsite.com/...ish-continue-to-fall

Farmed fish for the rest of the world is still a problem. There is a lot of evidence to back this up.

Halogenated contaminants in farmed salmon, trout, tilapia, pangasius, and shrimp. - van Leeuwen, et al; Environ Sci Technol. 2009 Oct 1
"From the five species investigated, (FARMED) salmon is predominantly responsible (97%) for human exposure to the sum of the investigated contaminants."

(The bold is mine, but that's what the article says)

Rufsen wrote:
Adults would need to eat a lot to get any neurological damage.The biggest problems have been in relation to large industrial spills in lakes and harbors.

Yes, mercury has more impact on the developing brain, but you are way off on the source. Mercury pollution comes from power plants, incinerators, and other industries like paper plants rather than industrial spills in a body of water. It's what comes out of the plume, lands in the water, and then is converted from inorganic to methylmercury by anaerobic bacteria. Fish consume it and it moves up the food chain to the larger, predator fish.

My toxicology exam is tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Ah, another toxicology nerd. You're right about the sources for Hg of course, i var thinking the most important contributions to acute poisoning. Like Minimata in the 1950s.

And the PCB thing is interesting, i need to read that paper when i get enough coffee today. I should have guessed the state of aquaculture was that bad in the rest of the world. Pretty sad considering that its a lot of norwegian companies involved, and they know how youre supposed to do it in a sustainable way.

Good luck. I still have a few more months to read up on this stuff for mine.

Lbrombach

Mar 8, 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #119 of 509 (5097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I could be talking out of my ass...but doesn't eating lean meat (part. red meat) increase testosterone level which should subsequently give a boost to strength/endurance/aggressiveness on the wall? There's much more to it than that, but I'm way behind on sleep. (Also not good for testosterone levels).

I know at the very least it makes my wiener work better..that's reason enough for me to keep eating meat.

marc801

Mar 8, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #120 of 509 (5081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
I stopped eating meat and chicken 8 years ago. I found I was unable to digest it well.
Then I drove across the country and stopped in Nebraska, someone said do you know why our angus beef is so good? I said no. He said look at the cows, they are so happy we don't lock them up and they eat grass all day.
I stopped and looked at those cows, and indeed they looked happy, with their large brown eyes spending their days on the grass.
I tried to taste this angus beef, but I couldn't anymore. I felt for those cows, like the short story a "mothers tale".
However I continued to have fish, and eggs about once per week. Feeling concerned it would be difficult to have enough protein otherwise. I do drink organic hemp protein drinks.
Recently in the last month, I started to get sick to my stomach from eggs. Then I couldn't digest fish and also felt queasy.
Outside my window every morning their are little birds on the branches pecking and they look so happy and beautiful. How could I eat a bird.

So anyone reach a conclusion ? I presume we would have to have many sets of identical twins and give them different diets and see which climbs better

So I was wondering has anyone read the blood type diet and feel that certain foods are better for the various blood types. A, B ,O , AB and their diet that goes along with that book?

You really need to see a doctor. Seriously. What you're describing can be indicative of a number of fairly serious problems. I suggest that you contact your primary physician soon and arrange to be examined by a gastroenterologist

After he or she is able to determine and treat any physiologic causes, then you can go to the clinical psychologist you so desperately need.

gmggg

Mar 8, 2011, 4:12 PM
Post #121 of 509 (5047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

furgie wrote:

Texas FTW!

spikeddem

Mar 8, 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #122 of 509 (5016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

furgie wrote:
YEE HAW

saint_john

Mar 8, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #123 of 509 (5008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

furgie wrote:

show me hard evidence that you were created by god.

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #124 of 509 (4984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
robx wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
robx wrote:

great, you're not perfect, thanks. so drop the holier than thou, i am vegetarianand i'm saving the world act.

i have nothing against vegans and vegetarians, hell my daughter's a vegan, but there's nothing worse that a vegetarian that spurts the i'm not eating animals, so i can ride my high horse through the streets. you do nothing for the cause.............see PETA

Jesus, Ma, what was that all about? Dude is doing what he thinks is right, it's not affecting you, he's *not* taking a holier than you approach, and he's living by his principles. Principles that, while not mine, I certainly see nothing wrong with. Hit a nerve or something?

GO

aprice00

Mar 8, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #125 of 509 (4982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

I have more energy.
I am happier.

I have an identical twin that has a very different diet then me and yes I climb harder. So it must be the diet.

j/k but realy thou the differences in us are vast even though we are from the same fertilized egg. For starters we are not the same height, we dont have the same body build, nor do we have the same interests. So if you had more of a "clone" and could somehow control the environmental effects on mental and physical developement you might be able to get comparible results.. but I still doubt it.
So here is the point, dont worry your pretty little head over this because with the vast amount of variables limiting a cimber, vegan/non-vegan is probably a very very small contributer.
More importantly
eat right (more fresh fruit/veg, less meat/processed foods)
eat less (maintain a lean body and healthy bmi)
and prepare yourself mentally (if being vegan makes you think you climb harder, by all means stay vegan).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook