Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Mar 8, 2011, 6:44 PM
Post #127 of 509 (5064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Gibbons rock! Here are a few youtube vids.

Check out this video of a gibbon brachiating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJA8pZ8JCA

How 'bout the guns on this guy (and the grace!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy--k7Qww0

How 'bout that double-dyno starting at 0:19 Holy crap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLSVt9CWSpc

GO

Cool vids, definitely demonstrating power and agility but I'd argue that brachiating is a different item from climbing per se, since specialized shoulder anatomy is so critical to brachiation, and "holds" are plentiful and large.

Sure, they are the absolute masters of brachiation. But it's not just in the horizontal where they excel. They are insanely good at going up and down too.

They're way bigger than most monkeys, so that works against them, but even lacking a tail, within their realm, I think they'd outclimb many monkeys.

Anyway, the point isn't whether monkeys are better or apes are better. The point is that there are apes (the family shared with humans) who are superb climbers.

GO

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 8, 2011, 6:48 PM
Post #128 of 509 (5060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [furgie] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

furgie wrote:
bah just more evoligion (evolution religion) show me some hard evidence that I came from apes istead of forcing your unproven theories down my throat...Crazy
Are you serious? What, are you from Texas, or something?

Wait... You are.

There is plenty of hard evidence, but you will not understand it, since you do not care to understand it.

Do you know what the "Academies of Science" are?
http://www.anubih.ba/...APEvolution17nov.pdf

You should read the brief statement, and see all the National Academies of Science who signed it.

And, there is a similar statement made by clergy, of MANY different religious denominations:
http://blue.butler.edu/...rgy/ChrClergyLtr.htm

You should read that too... BUT, if you do, you will see that you are in a fringe minority of RNJ's who are [wilfully] ignorant of reality.

So, I do understand why you WILL not read either of those, as you just do not care to understand... It's much easier to deny reality when you ignore reality.

So, ummm, do you like, think the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, too? Angelic

Sorry for the thread drift, I know this isn't the SB.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Mar 8, 2011, 6:53 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 8, 2011, 6:49 PM
Post #129 of 509 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
saint_john wrote:
furgie wrote:
bah just more evoligion (evolution religion) show me some hard evidence that I came from apes istead of forcing your unproven theories down my throat...Crazy

show me hard evidence that you were created by god.

Much like this PTFTW that will soon be hidden - we won't be able to see it, but I'll still know it's there.

Considering this should have been moved to the soapy land pages back, but due to greeny participation (that bordered on personal attacks), I think this is the perfect answer to the OP. I'm guessing the metaphor will be lost to most.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 8, 2011, 7:05 PM
Post #130 of 509 (5045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
furgie wrote:

Wait... You are.

There is plenty of hard evidence, but you will not understand it, since you do not care to understand it.

You should read the brief statement, and see all the National Academies of Science who signed it.

And, there is a similar statement made by clergy, of MANY different religious denominations:

You should read that too... BUT, if you do, you will see that you are in a fringe minority of RNJ's who are [wilfully] ignorant of reality.

So, I do understand why you WILL not read either of those, as you just do not care to understand... It's much easier to deny reality when you ignore reality.

So, ummm, do you like, think the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, too? Angelic

It will be, it will be.

jt512

Mar 8, 2011, 7:24 PM
Post #131 of 509 (5035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lbrombach] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lbrombach wrote:
I could be talking out of my ass...but doesn't eating lean meat (part. red meat) increase testosterone level which should subsequently give a boost to strength/endurance/aggressiveness on the wall?

Not as far as I know.

Jay

aprice00

Mar 8, 2011, 7:54 PM
Post #132 of 509 (5021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [furgie] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

furgie wrote:

Hey bub you got the wrong tool for the job.

Evolution- A change in allel frequency over time.
Thats to say a population of people show more allels for blond hair than brown hair at Time=100 then they did at Time=0

Theory does not equal Hypothesis.
Examples of Theory
1 Atomic theory - That thing your climbing on is made of atoms as well as your hands chief.
2 Cell Theory - You and your crag dog are made up of cells, sport.
Example of Hypothesis
If I stop eating meat I will shred more gnars.

In order to take on Theory status it must by deffinition be backup by lots of "hard evidence"

Theory of Evolution- Tells more of How than Why.
Your confusing it with the Theory of Common Descent

Oh and BTW no where in Common Descent does it say that you came from an ape.

Partner camhead

Mar 8, 2011, 8:09 PM
Post #133 of 509 (5005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
furgie wrote:

Wait... You are.

It will be, it will be.

Heh, rrradam is drawn to topics like this like Nazgül to The Ring.

caughtinside

Mar 8, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #134 of 509 (5003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
furgie wrote:

Wait... You are.

It will be, it will be.

Heh, rrradam is drawn to topics like this like Nazgül to The Ring.

yes, sort of like you and spraying... he jist can't help himself.

Partner macherry

Mar 8, 2011, 8:14 PM
Post #135 of 509 (4991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:
robx wrote:
LostinMaine wrote:
robx wrote:
I don't really want to read this whole thread, but my personal thoughts are...
I feel like as a society we've moved past the point where killing animals is necessary in keeping us healthy and alive. If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me.
I really really REALLY don't care about how much healthier someone that eats meat is going to be than me, because for me it's completely a moral issue.
I haven't consumed animal products in 5 years, and I'm doing fine. Is there a chance I'm less healthy than someone who is very aware of their diet? probably. But compared to most fast-food eating americans, I think I'm doing just fine.

Since you're taking the moral high ground, I suspect you are fully aware that the industrial monoculture crop fields that you are reliant upon has done a hum-dinger on the ecology that the animals you're trying to protect rely upon. Similarly, I am sure you are aware that habitat disruption from crop agriculture is a major cause of animal suffering and population declines. Since you're keenly aware of these things, I am also sure that all of your vegetables come from a home garden where not a single gnat is harmed. Or are only sentient animals bad to kill on your moral hilltop?

To me it's not about being perfect. Yes a few gnats die. And yeah, the bike tubes I have might possibly be lined with some small animal product. and the wires in computers have some insane animal product. But if I can do my best to abstain from killing or hurting animals then I'm happy.

and yes, I understand the negative impact that over farming causes, but it's hard to find alternatives, and to me it really is more about doing the best you can, not being perfect.

great, you're not perfect, thanks. so drop the holier than thou, i am vegetarianand i'm saving the world act.

i have nothing against vegans and vegetarians, hell my daughter's a vegan, but there's nothing worse that a vegetarian that spurts the i'm not eating animals, so i can ride my high horse through the streets. you do nothing for the cause.............see PETA

Jesus, Ma, what was that all about? Dude is doing what he thinks is right, it's not affecting you, he's *not* taking a holier than you approach, and he's living by his principles. Principles that, while not mine, I certainly see nothing wrong with. Hit a nerve or something?

GO

nope, but see line i put in bold "if you feel that your happiness is more important than animas' live then that's fine".

that's a healthy dose of smugness

styndall

Mar 8, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #136 of 509 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

great, you're not perfect, thanks. so drop the holier than thou, i am vegetarianand i'm saving the world act.

i have nothing against vegans and vegetarians, hell my daughter's a vegan, but there's nothing worse that a vegetarian that spurts the i'm not eating animals, so i can ride my high horse through the streets. you do nothing for the cause.............see PETA

Jesus, Ma, what was that all about? Dude is doing what he thinks is right, it's not affecting you, he's *not* taking a holier than you approach, and he's living by his principles. Principles that, while not mine, I certainly see nothing wrong with. Hit a nerve or something?

GO

I was going to say much the same thing as cracklover, and it's an important and interesting point.

There's a lot of reactionary stuff in this thread, and on the internet at large, calling vegetarians and vegans sanctimonious and holier-than-thou, even when, like in the case of the guy Macherry is rudely attacking, the vegetarian even goes out of his way to state that his moral calculus doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else at all. The resistance to the idea that there could be ethics involved in food choices is massive, and the backlash against such ethical consideration is unnecessarily vicious.

See also - irrational hate for PETA. They do silly stuff that draws attention to some kinds of animal cruelty, and people treat them more or less like neo-nazis. The attacks are out of proportion to any reasonable offense people could have to people in underwear hanging out in cages near city hall.

gmggg

Mar 8, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #137 of 509 (4977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Gibbons rock! Here are a few youtube vids.

Check out this video of a gibbon brachiating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJA8pZ8JCA

How 'bout the guns on this guy (and the grace!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acy--k7Qww0

How 'bout that double-dyno starting at 0:19 Holy crap!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLSVt9CWSpc

GO

Cool vids, definitely demonstrating power and agility but I'd argue that brachiating is a different item from climbing per se, since specialized shoulder anatomy is so critical to brachiation, and "holds" are plentiful and large.

Sure, they are the absolute masters of brachiation. But it's not just in the horizontal where they excel. They are insanely good at going up and down too.

They're way bigger than most monkeys, so that works against them, but even lacking a tail, within their realm, I think they'd outclimb many monkeys.

Anyway, the point isn't whether monkeys are better or apes are better. The point is that there are apes (the family shared with humans) who are superb climbers.

GO

You forgot to mention their fingers. And their thumbs. That's a really cool bit of adaptation.

jt512

Mar 8, 2011, 8:33 PM
Post #138 of 509 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:

Oh and BTW no where in Common Descent does it say that you came from an ape.

Actually, we are apes.

Jay

Partner macherry

Mar 8, 2011, 8:42 PM
Post #139 of 509 (4956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

I was going to say much the same thing as cracklover, and it's an important and interesting point.

There's a lot of reactionary stuff in this thread, and on the internet at large, calling vegetarians and vegans sanctimonious and holier-than-thou, even when, like in the case of the guy Macherry is rudely attacking, the vegetarian even goes out of his way to state that his moral calculus doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else at all. The resistance to the idea that there could be ethics involved in food choices is massive, and the backlash against such ethical consideration is unnecessarily vicious.

See also - irrational hate for PETA. They do silly stuff that draws attention to some kinds of animal cruelty, and people treat them more or less like neo-nazis. The attacks are out of proportion to any reasonable offense people could have to people in underwear hanging out in cages near city hall.

once again, i'll state that it's lines like, (which i quoted in my response)

"If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me."

i take issue with this kind of attitude.

csproul

Mar 8, 2011, 8:48 PM
Post #140 of 509 (4952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

"If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me."

But isn't that kind of true?You do not need meat. It is not necessary to your survival. It is somewhat of a convenience that makes us happy. If you eat it, you are making a statement that your happiness is more important than the lives of the animals that you eat. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'll own up to it.

jt512

Mar 8, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #141 of 509 (4952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
[T]he vegetarian even goes out of his way to state that his moral calculus doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else at all.

Robx wrote, "If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me," which sounds snide and patronizing. I'm fairly confident from that statement that Robx is pretty certain about the superiority of his "moral calculus."

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 8, 2011, 8:51 PM)

Partner macherry

Mar 8, 2011, 8:51 PM
Post #142 of 509 (4949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
styndall wrote:
[T]he vegetarian even goes out of his way to state that his moral calculus doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else at all.

Robx wrote, "If you feel that your happiness is more important than animals' lives then that's fine, but it's not for me," which sounds snide and patronizing. I'm fairly confident from that statement that Robx is pretty certain about the superiority of his "moral calculus."

Jay

thank you, i was wondering if anyone read that part of his post

Partner macherry

Mar 8, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #143 of 509 (4945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
macherry wrote:
styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

But isn't that kind of true?You do not need meat. It is not necessary to your survival. It is somewhat of a convenience that makes us happy. If you eat it, you are making a statement that your happiness is more important than the lives of the animals that you eat. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'll own up to it.

well, you don't need plants either. not necessary for my survival. ask the aboriginal people of northern canada

csproul

Mar 8, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #144 of 509 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
styndall wrote:

Jay
Why is it ok for you to read between the lines in Robx's post, but you jump all over other people when they do that to you? See my post above. Robx has made a choice that he/she doesn't need to eat animals, and that eating animals is a convenience that does not outweigh the value that he/she places on the lives of those animals. If you take Robx's post at face value (and I see no reason not to), he/she thinks it is fine if you don't hold the same values. Like I said above, I certainly don't hold the same values that Robx does, but I'll own up to it.

jt512

Mar 8, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #145 of 509 (4921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
csproul wrote:
macherry wrote:
styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

well, you don't need plants either. not necessary for my survival. ask the aboriginal people of northern canada

You mean the people who diie 12 years younger, on average, than other Canadians?

Jay

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 8, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #146 of 509 (4913 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

I would point over to the sudsy box thread of "what do climbers think of me" as another example where peoples self identification clouds their judgment and perception of who is attacking and who reacting calmly. One of the reasons that moderation is different in the green threads is that it can be impossible to separate a personal attack from a strong attack on a deeply held belief. The stronger one identifies with their ideals, the tighter the link between personal insult and comment on the merit of an idea.

Take even in this thread well before ma piped in, WW felt that my leading questions were a disguised attack on her opinion of local, organic farming. Because even snarky question implies derision of ideals, we were off for many a post. Examples like this are why we politely move these topics to a section where it is no holds barred and why many of the same soapy players came to this thread.

This idea/person linkage is magnified because we don't see faces or really know the players. Take me and WW, if she had caught the reference in my first post to the book "Near a Thousand Tables" and knew that my wife writes articles for a local rag about local food and caught my bison reference (the hot new local meat), she might realize that I can talk about local foods because I'm involved in local foods. The problem is that I'm not a believer, and that cynicism come thru loud and clear. To a believer in something, cynicism of a faith is to disrespect the person.

To call yourself a vegetarian is to label yourself for others to know that you hold that idea so strongly that to criticize the idea is to criticize you.

csproul

Mar 8, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #147 of 509 (4912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
csproul wrote:
macherry wrote:
styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the same thing could be said if you would not eat plants. If you don't need to eat plants to survive (not sure if that is true or not), then you could make the same argument about placing more value on your happiness than you place on the life of a plant. Eventually, if you want to live, you'll value survival over the life of some plant or animal. Beyond living a healthy life, your food choices constitute a choice to value convenience/happiness over whatever else you are consuming. Like I said before, I don't have any problem with this, I'm ok with the choices I make.

lena_chita

Mar 8, 2011, 9:28 PM
Post #148 of 509 (4895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

To call yourself a vegetarian is to label yourself for others to know that you hold that idea so strongly that to criticize the idea is to criticize you.

Well, don't paint every vegetarian with the same brush...

But overall, I would say that there is a trend: the more extreme someone's food choices (extreme used here as a deviation from the population mean, in any direction), the more likely it is that their entire lifestyle revolves around this choice, and the more likely it is that it is not just about food choice, it is also about morality, ethics, and self-identification.

With so many things tied togehter, attacking one part feels like an attack on the whole. Substitute food for religion, and it;s the same story, really...

wonderwoman

Mar 8, 2011, 9:33 PM
Post #149 of 509 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
cracklover wrote:
macherry wrote:

GO

I would point over to the sudsy box thread of "what do climbers think of me" as another example where peoples self identification clouds their judgment and perception of who is attacking and who reacting calmly. One of the reasons that moderation is different in the green threads is that it can be impossible to separate a personal attack from a strong attack on a deeply held belief. The stronger one identifies with their ideals, the tighter the link between personal insult and comment on the merit of an idea.

Take even in this thread well before ma piped in, WW felt that my leading questions were a disguised attack on her opinion of local, organic farming. Because even snarky question implies derision of ideals, we were off for many a post. Examples like this are why we politely move these topics to a section where it is no holds barred and why many of the same soapy players came to this thread.

This idea/person linkage is magnified because we don't see faces or really know the players. Take me and WW, if she had caught the reference in my first post to the book "Near a Thousand Tables" and knew that my wife writes articles for a local rag about local food and caught my bison reference (the hot new local meat), she might realize that I can talk about local foods because I'm involved in local foods. The problem is that I'm not a believer, and that cynicism come thru loud and clear. To a believer in something, cynicism of a faith is to disrespect the person.

Actually, I do know all that about you. Check your sent PMs. You & I have had this conversation many times. You sent me the link to your wife's blog & i recall one of her entries was about high fructose corn syrup being no different sugar, with no nutitonal science to back it up. So, I am sorry if you took offense to me accusing you of being pro - big food industry. But it seems to me that you are, which is why I asked. I didn't mean to offend you but was basing it on our conversation history.

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 8, 2011, 9:39 PM
Post #150 of 509 (4888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbers who eat meat vs vegetarian [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

Well, don't paint every vegetarian with the same brush...

But overall, I would say that there is a trend: the more extreme someone's food choices (extreme used here as a deviation from the population mean, in any direction), the more likely it is that their entire lifestyle revolves around this choice, and the more likely it is that it is not just about food choice, it is also about morality, ethics, and self-identification.

With so many things tied togehter, attacking one part feels like an attack on the whole. Substitute food for religion, and it;s the same story, really...
Wow... Well put.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook